Dirt Bike Insurance

Jardo
Fantasy
2080th
Edited Date/Time 8/13/2020 10:00am
I think I need to get my bike insured. The main reason is in case of theft.

Does everybody have their bikes insured? If so, what company? how much? is it worth it? Anybody actually had to file a claim?

|
agn5009
4/14/2020 3:05pm
Mines like $90 a year through progressive.
4/14/2020 3:11pm
im financing mine so i had to get it. because i bundled it with my truck it took my total insurance costs down 10 bucks a month so its free. i would say its worth it
mxb2
4/14/2020 3:15pm
3 bikes insured by progressive also. Insure your shit.
cwel11
4/14/2020 3:28pm
Absolutely insure them, especially if you still owe on them. I use State Farm and it’s very reasonable.

The Shop

Huey497
4/14/2020 3:31pm
I have progressive. I just pay on an annual basis. It’s pretty cheap.
navalseabee
4/14/2020 4:16pm
Progressive, i believe it's like $75 a year per bike.
bvm111
4/14/2020 5:23pm
Smith and Wesson ... 44 with 4 inch barrel... the hand cannon works every time!

Just kidding I am happy to see this thread as I always thought my home insurance or auto would cover it ... yup I’m not so smart and just realized it does not so looks like I need to make some phone calls tomorrow!
captmoto
4/14/2020 5:30pm
I use State Farm. Progressive and GEICO wouldn't insure based on the VIN. It shows as closed course competition. All their bullshit advertising during SX and MX added up to nothing.
Conway240
4/14/2020 5:38pm
Progressive is great & you get a additional no charge $3000 accessory policy for your add on parts are covered. I had to use mine like 8 years ago when my Ktm got stolen. It's well worth the $90 a year I pay.
mxb2
4/14/2020 6:01pm
bvm111 wrote:
Smith and Wesson ... 44 with 4 inch barrel... the hand cannon works every time! Just kidding I am happy to see this thread as I...
Smith and Wesson ... 44 with 4 inch barrel... the hand cannon works every time!

Just kidding I am happy to see this thread as I always thought my home insurance or auto would cover it ... yup I’m not so smart and just realized it does not so looks like I need to make some phone calls tomorrow!
Progressive is 24/7
a353
4/14/2020 6:03pm
Just be aware that almost every policy has an exclusion for racing and practicing. If your bike is stolen from your garage or home, you most likely will not have a problem.

But if it is stole at a race or practice track, you may have a real problem. Don’t kill the messenger. Just want everyone to know what you’re paying for may not cover you if it’s stolen at race or practice track.
Grizz
4/14/2020 6:16pm
a353 wrote:
Just be aware that almost every policy has an exclusion for racing and practicing. If your bike is stolen from your garage or home, you most...
Just be aware that almost every policy has an exclusion for racing and practicing. If your bike is stolen from your garage or home, you most likely will not have a problem.

But if it is stole at a race or practice track, you may have a real problem. Don’t kill the messenger. Just want everyone to know what you’re paying for may not cover you if it’s stolen at race or practice track.
I have 3 bikes covered with progressive and they are specifically covered for if they are stolen from my home or out of my van anywhere in the country. I want to say it's about $120 a year.
a353
4/14/2020 6:27pm
a353 wrote:
Just be aware that almost every policy has an exclusion for racing and practicing. If your bike is stolen from your garage or home, you most...

Grizz wrote:
I have 3 bikes covered with progressive and they are specifically covered for if they are stolen from my home or out of my van anywhere...
I have 3 bikes covered with progressive and they are specifically covered for if they are stolen from my home or out of my van anywhere in the country. I want to say it's about $120 a year.
You may want to read the “exclusions” in your policy. If you do, you’ll see what the contract says and that’s what they will refer to before they pay (or deny) your claim.
Grizz
4/14/2020 6:55pm
a353 wrote:
You may want to read the “exclusions” in your policy. If you do, you’ll see what the contract says and that’s what they will refer to...
You may want to read the “exclusions” in your policy. If you do, you’ll see what the contract says and that’s what they will refer to before they pay (or deny) your claim.
I literally told them I travel all around the country with bikes and I wanted to be insured if they got stolen out of the van and that's the policy they sold me. I'll check it out again though.

I am more concerned about that than them being stolen from the garage. Or if they were destroyed in a car crash.
c0ncEpT
4/14/2020 7:04pm
I have a policy through Progressive. $175/Year. Covers $3,000 in accessories as well.

It's a no-brainer.
bultokid
4/14/2020 7:25pm
Riding bud is Insurance Agent, mines about $120/yr covered 24/7 everywhere

ps- I HATE thieves with a passion, more of those pos that get lead poisoning the better
motoXracer971
4/14/2020 7:36pm
captmoto wrote:
I use State Farm. Progressive and GEICO wouldn't insure based on the VIN. It shows as closed course competition. All their bullshit advertising during SX and...
I use State Farm. Progressive and GEICO wouldn't insure based on the VIN. It shows as closed course competition. All their bullshit advertising during SX and MX added up to nothing.
That’s weird. I have Geico on my ‘20 YZ450F w/collision & theft plus $3000 accessories for $170/yr. I had to explain multiple times to the rep that it was being ridden on a closed course and not on the street...I used Progressive on my last KTM, but I had Geico on my truck when I bought the YZ so I just went with them.
4/14/2020 7:49pm
I had 3 cr125,s stolen, 2 engines,frames,etc a lot more stuff. Out of a storage unit, 4.75 yrs later I had 2 people arrested. Judge took the criminals side, since the system makes money off a criminal. Like 9,800 for there probation. If you have big mods, like kit A suspension. Good luck getting that money back. No matter how secure you have the property or bikes. Thieves will bust a hole in the wall, to get stuff. My bikes vanished, Green Bay police and legal system where in shock. That I tracked down 2 of the thieves. The lead thief got 20 yr sentence, served 2 then released. Never was charged with my property theft.
gharmon
4/14/2020 11:29pm
Jardo wrote:
I think I need to get my bike insured. The main reason is in case of theft. Does everybody have their bikes insured? If so, what...
I think I need to get my bike insured. The main reason is in case of theft.

Does everybody have their bikes insured? If so, what company? how much? is it worth it? Anybody actually had to file a claim?

I just had three stolen about two weeks ago. I have recovered two. Still missing 1. But i did insure them all this time.
I insured the other 5 i still have. Average price was about $75 for the year. $500 deductible. I had been contemplating doing it. Even discussed it with state farm agent but never bit the bullet. As it stands right now i am still out one 2018 ktm 85.
4/15/2020 4:20am
Just to give you guys a perspective about things:

Here in Finland we have an involuntary "offroad vehicle traffic insurance" for non-street legal mx- and enduro-bikes, which also compensates theft and fire damage. The level of compensation of the insurance is determined by Finnish traffic law, and it is set to compensate way too much, therefore the insurance companies have almost simultaneously raised their annual prices for this insurance in question from a couple of hundred euros to over 2000€ at minimum. I don't blame the insurance companies for this, because they are also bound by law with this and trying to do business. I wouldn't sell a product that makes me lose money everytime I sell it either...

It is beyond obvious that this is effectively killing our beloved sport and business in our country, and as I am writing this, we are closing down a 38-year old offroad motorcycle business near Helsinki... Kind of bitter about how everything has gone, but sometimes you just can't fight agains windmills...

Cheers!

4DAIVIPAI2K5
4/15/2020 4:33am
American National handles my policy but it is under written by American Motorist. AM Is the only company that we could find to cover the new model year cobras 50/65. Cobra uses a short vin so places wouldnt allow it. I pay 160 a year for a 2020 cobra 50, 2019 Cobra 65 and a 2011 KLX 110 with $250 deductible and they will not depreciate the value of the bike, I'll get full replacement cost.

In Ohio, you have to have a separate motorcycle policy to cover dirt bikes but, quads are covered under home owners. Guy I sold our 18 Cobra 50 said in PA along as it is touching some part of the house it is covered under home owners. I guess it varies from state to state so check that out too.
4/15/2020 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2020 1:01pm
Progressive for all my dirtbikes. You can also do a stated value policy with them as I have for some of my older bikes which are valued higher than their KBB Blue Book to me.
Infamous
Fantasy
2499th
4/15/2020 1:20pm
I'd give Foremost in Grand Rapids a shout as you're shopping.

I have Farmers for the moment and they 'farmed' out my KTM 990 Adventure out to them. Might bet you can get a good deal calling them direct. Smile In process of reviewing my insurance and just realized this..they 'farmed' my boat to Progressive too. Sensing a very different connotation of the word Farmers.

Also, my Audi A8L was last vehicle in a 4 car pileup on 35N in Waco across from the new Baylor Stadium last year June. Was just bumper rash, drove it home. They had me take the car to to a shop and that's last I ever saw of it. Took them 3 months to finally decide to total my car. No communication, horrible service. My agent was unaware of anything.

Anyway, I am going with Farm Bureau here in North Texas. Cuts my current bill for everything (homeowners, cars, boats, toys) literally in half. Bye Farmers.

harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
4/15/2020 2:34pm
American National handles my policy but it is under written by American Motorist. AM Is the only company that we could find to cover the new...
American National handles my policy but it is under written by American Motorist. AM Is the only company that we could find to cover the new model year cobras 50/65. Cobra uses a short vin so places wouldnt allow it. I pay 160 a year for a 2020 cobra 50, 2019 Cobra 65 and a 2011 KLX 110 with $250 deductible and they will not depreciate the value of the bike, I'll get full replacement cost.

In Ohio, you have to have a separate motorcycle policy to cover dirt bikes but, quads are covered under home owners. Guy I sold our 18 Cobra 50 said in PA along as it is touching some part of the house it is covered under home owners. I guess it varies from state to state so check that out too.
I wouldn't put any money on quads or any other vehicle being covered by homeowner's insurance, even if it's sitting in your living room serving as a coffee table. Generally speaking, if it has a title, it needs its own insurance
downard254
4/15/2020 3:00pm
My stuff is pretty securely locked up, but it’s insured by .223, .308, and 9mm. If you’re not invited onto my property, it would be wise to steer clear. I always assume my life is in danger when others trespass.
LumpDog841
4/15/2020 3:16pm
Maybe I'm stupid but when I had progressive in MI the fine print clearly stated that if the motorcycle is used for competition (racing) that the policy is void. So after a year I cancelled it Additionally when I moved to CO and tried to get theft insurance through GEICO they wouldn't do it either, since the bike was for competition. Am I missing something or has nobody read the fine print?
4/15/2020 3:40pm
a353 wrote:

Yup....people don't read the small print and will bitch and moan when the insurance company doesn't cough up.

It's unbelievable what people sign these days without reading.

4/15/2020 3:42pm
Grizz wrote:
I literally told them I travel all around the country with bikes and I wanted to be insured if they got stolen out of the van...
I literally told them I travel all around the country with bikes and I wanted to be insured if they got stolen out of the van and that's the policy they sold me. I'll check it out again though.

I am more concerned about that than them being stolen from the garage. Or if they were destroyed in a car crash.
Verbal verification of coverage doesn't count for sh*t....make sure it's in writing.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
4/15/2020 4:56pm
American National handles my policy but it is under written by American Motorist. AM Is the only company that we could find to cover the new...

I wouldn't put any money on quads or any other vehicle being covered by homeowner's insurance, even if it's sitting in your living room serving as...
I wouldn't put any money on quads or any other vehicle being covered by homeowner's insurance, even if it's sitting in your living room serving as a coffee table. Generally speaking, if it has a title, it needs its own insurance
Per the agents I spoke with, a quad can be worded, as a utility vehicle to maintain your property. Which is why they are covered.

Post a reply to: Dirt Bike Insurance

The Latest