DirecTV

Vic2003
10/22/2011 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:07am
So I just subscribed to DirectTV and signed a 2 year contract. While watching Fuel I get a little notice at the bottom that DirecTV is dropping Speed, Fuel, National geographic, and a few other channels 11/1/11. ***!?!? I just switch from Comcast so I can get Fuel add now they pull this crap. I guess I wont be watching SX or MX this year Sad
|
Outsider
10/22/2011 1:09pm
Vic2003 wrote:
So I just subscribed to DirectTV and signed a 2 year contract. While watching Fuel I get a little notice at the bottom that DirecTV is...
So I just subscribed to DirectTV and signed a 2 year contract. While watching Fuel I get a little notice at the bottom that DirecTV is dropping Speed, Fuel, National geographic, and a few other channels 11/1/11. ***!?!? I just switch from Comcast so I can get Fuel add now they pull this crap. I guess I wont be watching SX or MX this year Sad
That's fucked up if true!
ocscottie
10/22/2011 1:11pm
ya it is! how long ago did you make the switch? if it was within the last 30 days i would be all over their ass and tell them you switched to them because of their channel line up, and now that they are dropping the channels you specifically switched for, you want out of the contract NOW.

That is bullshit man, i would be pissed!
B DUB 333
10/22/2011 1:22pm
Same here, I love all sports, ( cept the ones that arent sports soccer billards nascar etc. ) and theyre also canceling fox north, the wild, and gophers, and all others that are widwest teams I like. f em I cant even spell or type I'm so pissed
NeKawBoy
10/22/2011 1:24pm
Directv does this on a regular basis when they are in negotiations with a media conglomerate. They are currently claiming that Rupurt Murdoch is upping the subscription fees of all the stations that his group owns by 40%. These stations include FX, Fuel, Speed and all of the Fox Sports stations. I doubt Directv will ditch all of those channels because they will lose subscribers and have to lower their rates. I expect that Fox will lower their asking price and Directv will pass along the higher fees to the subscribers.
I've been a Directv subscriber for 13 years and this is a pretty regular occurance during rate negotiations. I guess it's good to know they are fighting to keep or rates from rising too much.
If you will ditch Directv if the lose Speed and Fuel let them know. All it can do is put pressure on the get the deal done as quickly as possible. In the past some of these negotiations have literally gone down to the last day.

The Shop

smc916
10/22/2011 1:25pm
I just saw that yesterday too. I've been with DirectTV since 2004 and just re-upped for two more years in September. They did this before with Versus, but eventually brought it back. I don't watch much TV, but the only 2 channels I do watch are Speed and Fuel! If they drop them I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go back to cable. Shitty.
Cygnus
10/22/2011 1:49pm
I will cancel too. I just changed to the full HD package and will go to dish if they do this. I won't even worry about contracts. When I signed up they had those channels shouldnt be a problem with the contract.
MX Culture
10/22/2011 2:13pm
I was just about to get Direct, then saw the ad today!
they will lose a ton of customers with the channels they are dropping.
nicski15
10/22/2011 2:16pm
I am a DirecTV installer, and they will do that when they are in negotiations with the channel provider, they rarely get completely takin off the air, and the one time i did see them remove some channels it was for a few days and had them back.
Mod Killer
10/22/2011 2:21pm
i was just doing a search for directTV now

then came here. what a coincidence.

no nat geo? no speed? no fuel? .....but they have sunday ticket....decisions decisions.

whatever u do, stay the hell away from verizon. that company is a joke.
DanDunes818
10/22/2011 2:35pm
Mod Killer wrote:
i was just doing a search for directTV now then came here. what a coincidence. no nat geo? no speed? no fuel? .....but they have sunday...

no nat geo? no speed? no fuel? .....but they have sunday ticket....decisions decisions.

Mod Killer.. I get my Sunday ticket free here every weekend - http://www.azzav.net/
level
10/22/2011 4:23pm
No way they would drop Speed. That would be crazy.
imoto316
10/22/2011 6:35pm
I've been going round and round with DISH Network since July. I moved from a parsonage (church owned house) and closed my account. The next pastor moved in and since he was calling from the same phone number that I used when I lived there, Dish re-opened my account, which I had specifically closed. They refused to simply transfer to his name, the DVR and service that he ordered. They made me get the DVR/Receiver that they shipped to him and return it, I then cancelled the account and they slapped me with close to $300 for early termination for a service that I didn't order. In order get around the $300 they wanted me to file an Identity Theft report with the FTC and local police station. There was no way it was identity theft because we'd been working together to get it straighten out. If I had filed, I could have been slapped with filing a false police report and liable for prosecution, as would have DISH Network.

Long story short, horrible customer service, and not willing to do simple problem solving. I'll never go back to DISH. I even sent a registered letter to the C.E.O. but no correspondence followed.

Good luck to you Direct TV folks. I remember DISH doing something similar as well. I think it's a marketing strategy. Let people know how close they came to losing channels, then miraculously pulling it out at the last minute and everyone thanks them for the rate increase, as long as they keep their favorites. The satellite company comes out smelling like a rose and the consumer is duped again into footing the bill.
10/22/2011 6:49pm
Interesting that Murdoch used to own a piece of Direct TV. Who knows what will happen with these channels (small peanuts really). If they were to drop Fox news that would be a different story.
Mod Killer
10/22/2011 8:34pm
Mod Killer wrote:
i was just doing a search for directTV now then came here. what a coincidence. no nat geo? no speed? no fuel? .....but they have sunday...

Mod Killer.. I get my Sunday ticket free here every weekend - http://www.azzav.net/
thx.

how reliable are the sites like these? i imagine they come and go quite often? never lasting long before being shut down and then a new one will pop up?

im gonna need a site like this. im about to move overseas. i'll lose it without my football.
10/22/2011 8:41pm
I noticed this last night and started to get nervous.

Between motocross and the UFC switching over to Fox/FX/Fuel this could be a shitty outcome only about 4 months into a 2 year contract.
CR250Rider
10/22/2011 8:44pm
I'll explore kicking directv to the curb for sure.

comcast has already said they want me and for a decent price, too.
Fleece192
10/23/2011 1:59am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2011 2:05am
http://www.ourpromisetoyou.com/

It is bullshit, Did the HD package also and love it... 40%.. we already pay over $100 a month... not sure why the link wont work. Reload at the top of the page if you want to read..
LastCall211
10/24/2011 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2011 2:17pm
Fleece192 wrote:
http://www.ourpromisetoyou.com/ It is bullshit, Did the HD package also and love it... 40%.. we already pay over $100 a month... not sure why the link wont...
http://www.ourpromisetoyou.com/

It is bullshit, Did the HD package also and love it... 40%.. we already pay over $100 a month... not sure why the link wont work. Reload at the top of the page if you want to read..
That link works. I used to work for Comcast, and take it from me, these types of disputes happen alot more than you know. Remember the huge blowup between Comcast and NFL Network?

The bottom line is that while you may lose those channels for a short time, eventually they'll be brought back, and probably in plenty of time for the start of the SX season. One of the reasons I switched to Directv years ago was so that I could get SPEED in HD, so I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Money talks, so ultimately it will get settled. Noone wants to lose the revenue these channels generate.

By the way, don't be surprised if when they come back they're part of a tiered package that you'll have to pay extra for.
muGz.147
Fantasy
1922nd
10/24/2011 2:17pm
DISH!! I have none of these problems and all of the channels I want
VoR
10/24/2011 2:21pm
Doubtful anything will come of it, negotiation tactics more than anything else. They did boot Versus for a while a year or two ago though...
SMITH201
10/24/2011 2:26pm
If this indeed does come to pass and they ditch the channels and you are stuck in a contract, you could also just tell Direct TV that you want just standard basic channels with no internet. Then call Comcast and sign up. You might be paying a little extra for a while, but at least you will be watching SX Smile
LastCall211
10/24/2011 2:45pm
SMITH201 wrote:
If this indeed does come to pass and they ditch the channels and you are stuck in a contract, you could also just tell Direct TV...
If this indeed does come to pass and they ditch the channels and you are stuck in a contract, you could also just tell Direct TV that you want just standard basic channels with no internet. Then call Comcast and sign up. You might be paying a little extra for a while, but at least you will be watching SX Smile
Unless you're like me and Comcast isn't available in your area.
10/24/2011 3:20pm
There was a dispute here between Dish and our ABC affiliate that lasted six months. If you had Dish and lived in the NW no ABC for six months. This could take a while especially being Murdock's group used to own 34% of Direct TV. There may be more behind this than a typical price dispute.
jasonv43
10/24/2011 3:22pm
What about U-verse?
DanDunes818
10/24/2011 4:00pm
Mod Killer wrote:

Mod Killer wrote:
thx. how reliable are the sites like these? i imagine they come and go quite often? never lasting long before being shut down and then a...
thx.

how reliable are the sites like these? i imagine they come and go quite often? never lasting long before being shut down and then a new one will pop up?

im gonna need a site like this. im about to move overseas. i'll lose it without my football.
I'm told it worked all of last season and it's been solid ever since. I've been using it since week one of this season. They occasionally get a game yanked, but a new link will pop up after a few refreshes. The best part is you can open multiple games at once. I get the epson projector going on the wall an can literally watch 4 games at about 50 inches each..
carlosmacho
10/24/2011 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2011 4:20pm
muGz.147 wrote:
DISH!! I have none of these problems and all of the channels I want
Then you have not been with dish very long. They didrs this quite a while back ago and had to renegotiate. I call directv they stated if they lost these channels it would only be for a short while in an effort to negotiate a lower price. This will keep your Monthly bill down. They will also give discounts and make any time you've lost right by discounting your monthly bill or giving you free service for Programming you don't have. 4 loyal customers but if you leave you get none of fat. After a number of years ofservice with comcast dish network and directv I must say directv has the best customer service and the best hardware. Direct tv mounted my dish on the roof dish network mount it on a4x4 of the deck which kept coming out of Alignment and gish wanted to keep charging me every time they came out to realign the dish. I left dish network and directv has done a much better job the first time
peelout
10/24/2011 4:22pm
shit...

i just switched a couple months ago because Dish decided that my basic programming was worth about $90 a month.

i'll be seriously bummed, as the Direct Package has every channel i really watch...
flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
10/25/2011 7:44am
Vic2003 wrote:
So I just subscribed to DirectTV and signed a 2 year contract. While watching Fuel I get a little notice at the bottom that DirecTV is...
Ditto. I love DirecTV so I hope they figure it out. Everyone should call, and bitch to keep the pressure on them.

Comcast doesn't carry Fuel last I checked.
smc916
10/29/2011 8:23am
Bump

Post a reply to: DirecTV

The Latest