Dilla or Budds?

pkiczuk
Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 3:35pm
So this year I wont be able to go to the national at southwick ( hour away from me) due to a family vacation, so I will be traveling to another race within driving distance. The wife got into moto this last sx season and wants to go too. The choice is between Unadilla or Budds Creek. Dilla is on my bucket list of places to go and is 4-6 hour drive while Budds Creek is about an 8 hour drive for me. Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on the two, and which you would recommend going to. Thanks in advance!
|
Nellyinda803
Fantasy
362nd
6/5/2019 8:17am
Well I don't have much to offer, but I'll be going to Budds since it's a local race (25 minutes away). But I've always wanted to go to Unadilla
BobPA
6/5/2019 8:31am
I would say Dilla. Budds is a better track for spectating. Be prepared to walk around all day at Dilla, it is very spread out.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/5/2019 8:51am
Are you camping or staying in a hotel? Unadilla is cool, but it's sort of like being off the grid. Not tons of options for shopping or accommodations nearby. Budds has more civilization (restaurants, etc.) nearby. You can add in sightseeing in D.C. if that's interesting to you.

The Shop

mxdude105
6/5/2019 8:51am
Never been to Dilla but Budds is a great track for spectating. It's also about an hour outside of Washington, D.C., so you could rope in a visit if you haven't been before.
MX114
6/5/2019 9:03am
Been to both many times. Hands down Unadilla for a true motocross experience. Budds is good cause you see the whole track from certain spots, but dilla is also great spectating but much better vibe and fans
ChrisB10
6/5/2019 9:16am
Unadilla has the sky shot jump and other cool parts of the track that really stand out. It's also a little cooler here in upstate NY which is cool if you're out watching motos and practice for 4+ hours. Walking the track is a pita. Bring good shoes !
pkiczuk
6/5/2019 9:20am
Won't be camping at either, if its dilla then we'll be driving home afterward and budds we'll be staying in a hotel. I don't need all the extra activities. I think i'm starting to lean towards Unadilla, just gotta convince her it's the right choice. We go to new York all the time so I think she wants to go to Maryland but logistically I'm thinking dilla makes the most sense. Thanks guys!
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
6/5/2019 9:29am
Unadilla. We go every year.. We stay in Utica like many of the teams do. It's fun to go out to dinner and see everyone out and about. Delmonico's is the place to go. Plus the day after the race all the haulers have the bikes out getting torn down in the Hotel parking lots. I know you said you'd drive home after.. but I'm just recommending another option.
philG
6/5/2019 12:00pm
BobPA wrote:
I would say Dilla. Budds is a better track for spectating. Be prepared to walk around all day at Dilla, it is very spread out.
Which Unadilla do you go to ? From the top of Gravity Cavity you can see 80% of the track. I was amazed how good it was . Only bit you cant see is the Screw U , the pro loop at the back of the start and the hairpin after the waves.
philG
6/5/2019 12:07pm
GuyB wrote:
Are you camping or staying in a hotel? Unadilla is cool, but it's sort of like being off the grid. Not tons of options for shopping...
Are you camping or staying in a hotel? Unadilla is cool, but it's sort of like being off the grid. Not tons of options for shopping or accommodations nearby. Budds has more civilization (restaurants, etc.) nearby. You can add in sightseeing in D.C. if that's interesting to you.
Tell me about it, It is the middle of nowhere, i have no idea how they fill the place for a national,
6/5/2019 1:49pm
BobPA wrote:
philG wrote:
Which Unadilla do you go to ? From the top of Gravity Cavity you can see 80% of the track. I was amazed how good it...
Which Unadilla do you go to ? From the top of Gravity Cavity you can see 80% of the track. I was amazed how good it was . Only bit you cant see is the Screw U , the pro loop at the back of the start and the hairpin after the waves.
I know you were there this past weekend as well, I thought the same thing. The viewing at Dilla is spectacular. Better than any track I’ve ever been too.
philG
6/5/2019 2:00pm
I know you were there this past weekend as well, I thought the same thing. The viewing at Dilla is spectacular. Better than any track I’ve...
I know you were there this past weekend as well, I thought the same thing. The viewing at Dilla is spectacular. Better than any track I’ve ever been too.
I was amazed how small and narrow it was too, it looks huge on TV, but then so do the MXGP tracks and some of them are dead compact like Teuschenthal..

I guess its not as good when its full, but even so, layout is spectacular.

What class did you run ?
6/5/2019 2:27pm
I was in your situation in 2012. Drove 9hours solo to finally see Dilla. Track is amazing. I stayed at the “Screw you” hill most of the day because it’s close to the track and I liked hearing the motors also.
like stated the track is out there and my phone died ultra quick.
So now I need to hit budds creek and Southwick one year.
I’d say you can’t go wrong it’s Moto.
Ghost
6/5/2019 4:19pm
I know you were there this past weekend as well, I thought the same thing. The viewing at Dilla is spectacular. Better than any track I’ve...
philG wrote:
I was amazed how small and narrow it was too, it looks huge on TV, but then so do the MXGP tracks and some of them...
I was amazed how small and narrow it was too, it looks huge on TV, but then so do the MXGP tracks and some of them are dead compact like Teuschenthal..

I guess its not as good when its full, but even so, layout is spectacular.

What class did you run ?
I rode 250 Grand Prix intermediate and promoter class pre 89 250-500 B.

What’s was really funny is after I got home I watched Adam Ciancurilo’s go pro footage from Dilla last year. I was a little off his pace! 😂

https://youtu.be/H76b0mOre3A
jarvinator
6/5/2019 6:29pm
Unadilla gets my nod, you will have a good time for sure
mb60
6/5/2019 6:56pm
Been to both and Budds in my opinion. Go to let B and enjoy the show. Not as crazy as I thought it might be but was a blast either way.
MX114
6/6/2019 5:03am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2019 5:06am
Wick is a cool stand alone in the series being a sand track, but the spectating is shitty there. Chain link fence and about 5 rows deep of people to look thru just to see the riders in one or two sections at a time, there’s no great vantage points to see a majority of the track at once. I’ve been to a lot of the national tracks over the years, Broome Tioga was the best spectating track of any I’ve been too.
sleeve1
Fantasy
1921st
6/6/2019 6:32am
Been to both. Hands down 'DILLA.
Maybe Dilla this year and Buds next year...
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
6/6/2019 7:33am
They're both great tracks and both great for viewing. Maybe Budds is a little better for spectators, but Unadilla isn't bad at all.

There's also a 100% chance of sweating your nuts off at Budds. I'd say it's 50% at Dilla.

Budds you can make more of a trip out of it if you want to stop off in DC and tour around. Upstate NY doesn't quite have the same options, but some great scenery in the region.

You really can't go wrong.
pkiczuk
6/6/2019 12:59pm
Spudnut wrote:
Any other silly questions?? 😂
Best thing is that my instincts seemed to be right. Fare arguments from everyone here, but it's definitely looking like Unadilla out recommended Budds. Like someone said above, maybe we'll hit up Budds next year, especially since the little one will be a little bit older for the longer trip.
PRM31
6/6/2019 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2019 1:11pm
Been to Budds many times and the spectating is truly fantastic. I would love to go to Unadilla, and be even better if more natural like in the 80s.
philG
6/6/2019 2:38pm
I rode 250 Grand Prix intermediate and promoter class pre 89 250-500 B. What’s was really funny is after I got home I watched Adam Ciancurilo’s...
I rode 250 Grand Prix intermediate and promoter class pre 89 250-500 B.

What’s was really funny is after I got home I watched Adam Ciancurilo’s go pro footage from Dilla last year. I was a little off his pace! 😂

https://youtu.be/H76b0mOre3A
Ok, i did all promoter classes, 50+c , open C and +250C , will do B class next year , Class structure is all over the place, guy who i almost beat for the 250+ for the win was doing the Skyshot FFS , not exactley a novice .

The AHRMA classes were comical, 40 classes with 5 riders each, well thats what it seemed like .

Be nice to pick up a 4th class, as long as the moto's are spread out.

And yes , i saw that and thought the same.

Post a reply to: Dilla or Budds?

The Latest