Difference between dungey and tomac

BobbyM
8/14/2017 7:21pm
doofy wrote:
After reading all this im curious as to what made RV able to beat Dungey time after time. Aldon said Dungey is the most athletic rider...
After reading all this im curious as to what made RV able to beat Dungey time after time.

Aldon said Dungey is the most athletic rider he's ever trained and that he was a work horse and RV HATED training. Obviously dunge was rock solid consistent... it almost makes me think RV was even more badass of a dude. Slaughtering the field year and year seemingly with no care in the world.
Dungey wouldn't have looped it on the MXGP circuit like a rookie I'll tell you that much. Hehehe....
8/14/2017 7:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 7:30pm
Tomac still has a long way to go to catch these guys.

1. Ricky Carmichael 15 Championships and 150 Wins
2. Ryan Villopoto 9 Championships and 72 Wins
3. Jeremy McGrath 8 Championships and 89 Wins
4. Ryan Dungey 8 Championships and 80 Wins
5. Rick Johnson 7 Championships and 61 Wins
6. Jeff Ward 7 Championships and 57 Wins
7. Bob Hannah 6 Championships and 62 Wins
8. Broc Glover 6 Championships and 45 Wins
9. Jeff Stanton 6 Championships and 37 Wins
10. James Stewart 5 Championships and 98 Wins

?. Eli Tomac 1 Championship and 34 Wins
TXDirt
8/14/2017 7:32pm
TXDirt wrote:
That may be more a reflection of your attention span.

Which do people remember and which one actually matters.
It's a reflection of the nature of sports history; we always remember those with amazing accomplishments but we never stop talking about people who blew our...
It's a reflection of the nature of sports history; we always remember those with amazing accomplishments but we never stop talking about people who blew our minds with those 'are you fucking kidding me?!?!' moments.
Probably depends on who you are talking with don't you think? That's like calling a guy at ESPN a journalist because of a 45 word "hot take" blog post.
8/14/2017 7:50pm
Tomac still has a long way to go to catch these guys. 1. Ricky Carmichael 15 Championships and 150 Wins 2. Ryan Villopoto 9 Championships and...

While there is no arguing Tomac has a long way to go to being anywhere near those guys I don't necessarily believe titles are the only way to determine how good a rider is as there are plenty of very fast and polarizing riders that didn't wrack up as many wins or titles ie. Bradshaw or Bayle. Not trying to say that Tomac is at all better than any of the guys you listed because he clearly is not, but I just don't really think the titles tell all the stories.

The Shop

Hut
8/14/2017 8:04pm
TXDirt wrote:
That's like comparing an at bat to a full baseball season. If you look at an at bat, a guy hits a monster 500 foot homerun...
That's like comparing an at bat to a full baseball season.

If you look at an at bat, a guy hits a monster 500 foot homerun. Across a season a guy hits above 300. Sure, the monster home run make sports center but the guy batting above 300 for the season gets the paycheck and the girl.
And which one do more people remember?
TXDirt wrote:
That may be more a reflection of your attention span.

Which do people remember and which one actually matters.
Tell that to Kirk Gibson
8/14/2017 8:51pm
cali11 wrote:
RV threw that title a way over a triple
I didn't know someone 13 points down could throw the title away
Hut wrote:
12 points down and when you are Ryan Villopoto the SX title is yours!
If it was his he would of made that triple in St.Louis
Hut
8/14/2017 8:57pm
I didn't know someone 13 points down could throw the title away
Hut wrote:
If he wouldn't had blown out the dirt to plywood on that damn section he would have won out and took that title like every other one.
jeffro503
8/14/2017 9:20pm
doofy wrote:
After reading all this im curious as to what made RV able to beat Dungey time after time. Aldon said Dungey is the most athletic rider...
After reading all this im curious as to what made RV able to beat Dungey time after time.

Aldon said Dungey is the most athletic rider he's ever trained and that he was a work horse and RV HATED training. Obviously dunge was rock solid consistent... it almost makes me think RV was even more badass of a dude. Slaughtering the field year and year seemingly with no care in the world.
BobbyM wrote:
Dungey wouldn't have looped it on the MXGP circuit like a rookie I'll tell you that much. Hehehe....
Maybe not.....but he got beat year after year by a guy who did. Christ....even RC " The Goat " did it. Shit happens.
Adam43
8/14/2017 9:21pm
Hut wrote:
If he wouldn't had blown out the dirt to plywood on that damn section he would have won out and took that title like every other...
If he wouldn't had blown out the dirt to plywood on that damn section he would have won out and took that title like every other one.
On the Suzuki, Dungey was very much the equal of RV. Dungeys first years on KTM were underrated, the bike was worse than he had previously.
SwingHard
8/14/2017 9:54pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Villopoto, in my opinion, is the second best all time AMA rider. Dungey is fourth in my opinion. Carmichael first and McGrath third for what it...
Villopoto, in my opinion, is the second best all time AMA rider. Dungey is fourth in my opinion. Carmichael first and McGrath third for what it matters. Look what Villopoto had to do in order to beat Dungey consistently. Just be consistently at the top of his game. And he put his body through hell to do so. Both with burnout and injuries. Dungey is the most consistent rider in the history of the sport. I'm trying to think of a time he crashed while pushing too hard. Maybe you could argue that race trying to keep pace with Villopoto in 2013 where the bike came over on top of him. Forget the venue but it was in MX. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Tomac, meanwhile, has been in the big bike class for four years now and has missed how much time? And has never really been the guy. Inconsistency, lack of race smarts, and being mentally weak have cost him dearly. Tomac is amazing and even with his flaws he's still a top rider in the world. But I don't think he will ever be mentioned among the top 10-20 AMA riders ever.
Didn't Dungey crash while chasing after Roczen?
8/15/2017 12:34am
Hut wrote:
Hut wrote:
If he wouldn't had blown out the dirt to plywood on that damn section he would have won out and took that title like every other...
Sounds like an excuse to me considering other guys were hitting using the same line that night. Don't worry you'll get over it eventually. Maybe
8/15/2017 12:42am
Hut wrote:
Sounds like an excuse to me considering other guys were hitting using the same line that night. Don't worry you'll get over it eventually. Maybe
I remember Chad Reed saying that section was dangerous in practice that day..
TXDirt
8/15/2017 1:05am
Tomac still has a long way to go to catch these guys. 1. Ricky Carmichael 15 Championships and 150 Wins 2. Ryan Villopoto 9 Championships and...

While there is no arguing Tomac has a long way to go to being anywhere near those guys I don't necessarily believe titles are the only...
While there is no arguing Tomac has a long way to go to being anywhere near those guys I don't necessarily believe titles are the only way to determine how good a rider is as there are plenty of very fast and polarizing riders that didn't wrack up as many wins or titles ie. Bradshaw or Bayle. Not trying to say that Tomac is at all better than any of the guys you listed because he clearly is not, but I just don't really think the titles tell all the stories.
Tomac and Bradshaw are eerily similar. Blinding fast speed. Mental mistakes. Wilt under pressure. Early burn out a possible factor. Not saying Eli is burned out but he doesn't display a whole lot of joy for what he does. And I don't blame him. Racing, riding, testing, training all takes its toll on you. Not to mention the weight of the team and sponsors and your own personal pressure to succeed.
8/15/2017 1:53am
Hut wrote:
I remember Chad Reed saying that section was dangerous in practice that day..
Maybe he should of doubled into it then
8/15/2017 2:37am
I'll fall off my seat the day Tomac gets starts consistently.. he's terrible.
He needs to rebound at Budds and I'm concerned that he will implode mentally again..
If it goes to Indiana with points close I'm not betting on Tomac to keep it together.
I'm a Tomac fan so I hope he figures it out.
Hut
8/15/2017 5:57am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2017 5:57am
Hut wrote:
Adam43 wrote:
On the Suzuki, Dungey was very much the equal of RV. Dungeys first years on KTM were underrated, the bike was worse than he had previously.
Let's see the numbers to back that up???
8/15/2017 7:47am
Hut wrote:
Adam43 wrote:
Hut wrote:

Overall Points Standings for 2011

SX

Position Rider Hometown Points
Ryan Villopoto
Seattle, WA 338
Chad Reed
Kurri Kurri, Australia 334
Ryan Dungey
Belle Plaine, MN 328
twotwosix
8/15/2017 8:01am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2017 8:02am
This feels like East Rutherford and 17 Supercross all over again. Tomac better not blow this title like he did his Supercross title. Quit dicking around Eli and go win this damn title.

8/15/2017 5:27pm
Adam43 wrote:
Hut wrote:
EnvyMedia wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/15/209957/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_08_15_at_16.46.01.jpg[/img] Overall Points Standings for 2011 SX Position Rider Hometown Points 1 Ryan Villopoto Seattle, WA 338 2 Chad Reed Kurri Kurri, Australia 334 3 Ryan...

SX

Ryan Villopoto
Seattle, WA 338
Chad Reed
Ryan Dungey
Belle Plaine, MN 328
Looks legit to me! One can honestly thank Team Suzuki for going under as well
8/15/2017 7:04pm
Hut wrote:
EnvyMedia wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/15/209957/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_08_15_at_16.46.01.jpg[/img] Overall Points Standings for 2011 SX Position Rider Hometown Points 1 Ryan Villopoto Seattle, WA 338 2 Chad Reed Kurri Kurri, Australia 334 3 Ryan...

SX

Ryan Villopoto
Seattle, WA 338
Chad Reed
Ryan Dungey
Belle Plaine, MN 328
Looks legit to me! One can honestly thank Team Suzuki for going under as well
Not to mention he had a DNF in both Supercross and outdoors that year that had he finished in his avg finish would've beat RV for both titles.

Supercross chain failure.

Outdoors boiling gas causing vapor lock.

Post a reply to: Difference between dungey and tomac

The Latest