Difference between dungey and tomac

TXDirt
8/14/2017 7:15am
What's to compare? Dungey is a multi time champion who's consistency decimated his competition in a series.

Tomac is like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. No consistency whatsoever. Mentally weak.
kkawboy14
8/14/2017 7:18am
TXDirt wrote:
What's to compare? Dungey is a multi time champion who's consistency decimated his competition in a series. Tomac is like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. No...
What's to compare? Dungey is a multi time champion who's consistency decimated his competition in a series.

Tomac is like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. No consistency whatsoever. Mentally weak.
Tomac is my guy but I would have to agree with your accessment of him!
RangerLee
8/14/2017 10:11am
Ha! I feel like Dungey will always be remembered but Tomac will always be talked about. Not trying to knock Dungey at all but due to...
Ha!

I feel like Dungey will always be remembered but Tomac will always be talked about. Not trying to knock Dungey at all but due to his race craft (one of the most solid ever) he doesn't have those many of those 'holy shit' moments that leave people talking for years to come.
lostboy819 wrote:
I guess you don't follow the sport,and anyone who says "race craft" is a tool ;) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/13/209657/s1200_max_102112mustsee_656322.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/13/209658/s1200_download.jpg[/img]
I guess you don't follow the sport,and anyone who says "race craft" is a tool Wink

So glad you posted this, Dungey had MANY holy shit moments. Of course if you were a hater you would never remember any of them.

For me, when any rider has one of those moments, it is something to be remembered no matter if a fan or not.

The Shop

TDeath21
8/14/2017 12:33pm
Villopoto, in my opinion, is the second best all time AMA rider. Dungey is fourth in my opinion. Carmichael first and McGrath third for what it matters. Look what Villopoto had to do in order to beat Dungey consistently. Just be consistently at the top of his game. And he put his body through hell to do so. Both with burnout and injuries. Dungey is the most consistent rider in the history of the sport. I'm trying to think of a time he crashed while pushing too hard. Maybe you could argue that race trying to keep pace with Villopoto in 2013 where the bike came over on top of him. Forget the venue but it was in MX. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Tomac, meanwhile, has been in the big bike class for four years now and has missed how much time? And has never really been the guy. Inconsistency, lack of race smarts, and being mentally weak have cost him dearly. Tomac is amazing and even with his flaws he's still a top rider in the world. But I don't think he will ever be mentioned among the top 10-20 AMA riders ever.
mx317
8/14/2017 1:12pm
BobbyM wrote:
We saw how fast they could go... We never saw how fast Dungey could ride... I bet it would have been as fast or faster than...
We saw how fast they could go... We never saw how fast Dungey could ride... I bet it would have been as fast or faster than those 3 guys. Dungey is and will go down as one of the best that ever was.
Anybody that thinks otherwise is a mouthbreathing cumchuggling dickass.
I like the way you talk ummm hmmm (In my best Carl from Slingblade voice)!
mx317
8/14/2017 1:18pm
Hut wrote:
Come on now JLaw was awesome. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/13/209608/s1200_jlawv.jpg[/img]
Come on now JLaw was awesome.

That picture makes me chuckle every time I see it Smile
honda341
8/14/2017 1:42pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Villopoto, in my opinion, is the second best all time AMA rider. Dungey is fourth in my opinion. Carmichael first and McGrath third for what it...
Villopoto, in my opinion, is the second best all time AMA rider. Dungey is fourth in my opinion. Carmichael first and McGrath third for what it matters. Look what Villopoto had to do in order to beat Dungey consistently. Just be consistently at the top of his game. And he put his body through hell to do so. Both with burnout and injuries. Dungey is the most consistent rider in the history of the sport. I'm trying to think of a time he crashed while pushing too hard. Maybe you could argue that race trying to keep pace with Villopoto in 2013 where the bike came over on top of him. Forget the venue but it was in MX. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Tomac, meanwhile, has been in the big bike class for four years now and has missed how much time? And has never really been the guy. Inconsistency, lack of race smarts, and being mentally weak have cost him dearly. Tomac is amazing and even with his flaws he's still a top rider in the world. But I don't think he will ever be mentioned among the top 10-20 AMA riders ever.
Not trying to pick apart your post, just picking ONE point :D What about Carmichael as the most consistent rider? Consistently first or second if he went down. Just curious on the actual math behind it.
jeffro503
8/14/2017 2:06pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Villopoto, in my opinion, is the second best all time AMA rider. Dungey is fourth in my opinion. Carmichael first and McGrath third for what it...

honda341 wrote:
Not trying to pick apart your post, just picking ONE point :D What about Carmichael as the most consistent rider? Consistently first or second if he...
Not trying to pick apart your post, just picking ONE point :D What about Carmichael as the most consistent rider? Consistently first or second if he went down. Just curious on the actual math behind it.
I think there actually was a stat up here not to long ago. In all races entered , I think that RD was the most consistent ever. Can't remember , but I think that was SX and MX combined.
TXDirt
8/14/2017 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 2:17pm
TDeath21 wrote:

honda341 wrote:
Not trying to pick apart your post, just picking ONE point :D What about Carmichael as the most consistent rider? Consistently first or second if he...
jeffro503 wrote:
I think there actually was a stat up here not to long ago. In all races entered , I think that RD was the most consistent...
I think there actually was a stat up here not to long ago. In all races entered , I think that RD was the most consistent ever. Can't remember , but I think that was SX and MX combined.
I recall that thread. I think me and a few others had put together some charts and I think RC had the highest average finish position. But I don't remember.....

/edit

The one I recall we might have been calculating win % based on number of races raced and not average finish position.
Motodave15
8/14/2017 5:08pm
Difference between tomac and dungey was seen in the 250 class

Dungey had his mental fortitude tested versus J-law.
Tomac has his mental fortitude tested with a championship on the line, and he locked up that one year... i think it was seattle or somewhere else in SX.

Difference is Dungey seriously became mentally stronger imo, Same with Tomac however i think Tomac is more prone to that lock up, too much pressure issue.

Both are amazing riders. and Dungey's Career may not ever be replicated because it is that hard to do. Tomac might be able to break the funk if he can find the cause.
cali11
8/14/2017 5:20pm
bama205 wrote:
Didn't RV have to part with dad or something like that ? Not sure on reasons
He had to call up Aldon after losing the title to Dungey in 2010
RV threw that title a way over a triple
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/14/2017 5:35pm
One racer has completed their career with everything laid out in black and white. The other racer is currently active with more unknown than known. That is the biggest difference.
8/14/2017 5:39pm
bama205 wrote:
Didn't RV have to part with dad or something like that ? Not sure on reasons
cali11 wrote:
I didn't know someone 13 points down could throw the title away
TDeath21
8/14/2017 5:59pm
TDeath21 wrote:

honda341 wrote:
97, 99, and 00 SX for Carmichael weren't so great and obviously he missed 04 SX. I bet it's close and depends on your definition of consistent.
mauidex
8/14/2017 6:07pm
i dunno............maybe about 3 or 4 or 5 championships?!??!?!WhistlingWhistling
TXDirt
8/14/2017 6:11pm
mauidex wrote:
i dunno............maybe about 3 or 4 or 5 championships?!??!?!WhistlingWhistling
That and not living up to your fathers namesake. Having a down to earth scorching hot wife. Helping build a motorcycle brand. Not wilting under pressure. I could go on and I'm an Eli fan.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/14/2017 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 6:20pm
Wrong thread
8/14/2017 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 6:18pm
Not sure how/why we are even having this conversation? In terms of career, there really isn't a comparison at this point. If Eli can sort his head out and win a few titles, talk to me then. Until that point it's apples to oranges.

BobbyM
8/14/2017 6:24pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Difference between tomac and dungey was seen in the 250 class Dungey had his mental fortitude tested versus J-law. Tomac has his mental fortitude tested with...
Difference between tomac and dungey was seen in the 250 class

Dungey had his mental fortitude tested versus J-law.
Tomac has his mental fortitude tested with a championship on the line, and he locked up that one year... i think it was seattle or somewhere else in SX.

Difference is Dungey seriously became mentally stronger imo, Same with Tomac however i think Tomac is more prone to that lock up, too much pressure issue.

Both are amazing riders. and Dungey's Career may not ever be replicated because it is that hard to do. Tomac might be able to break the funk if he can find the cause.
Jlaw was the best thing that ever happened to Dungey if you think about it.
mauidex
8/14/2017 6:24pm
Not sure how/why we are even having this conversation? In terms of career, there really isn't a comparison at this point. If Eli can sort his...
Not sure how/why we are even having this conversation? In terms of career, there really isn't a comparison at this point. If Eli can sort his head out and win a few titles, talk to me then. Until that point it's apples to oranges.

based on past performance and history that may be the biggest IF this sport has ever seenUnsureUnsure
akillerwombat
8/14/2017 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 6:32pm
RangerLee wrote:
So glad you posted this, Dungey had MANY holy shit moments. Of course if you were a hater you would never remember any of them. For...
So glad you posted this, Dungey had MANY holy shit moments. Of course if you were a hater you would never remember any of them.

For me, when any rider has one of those moments, it is something to be remembered no matter if a fan or not.
No one is debating "if" he had some insane moments but at the end of the day he will foremost be remembered for his consistency and consistency isn't remembered the same way as firework moments.

Point in case: Ty Cobb vs Babe Ruth
TXDirt
8/14/2017 6:46pm
RangerLee wrote:
So glad you posted this, Dungey had MANY holy shit moments. Of course if you were a hater you would never remember any of them. For...

No one is debating "if" he had some insane moments but at the end of the day he will foremost be remembered for his consistency and...
No one is debating "if" he had some insane moments but at the end of the day he will foremost be remembered for his consistency and consistency isn't remembered the same way as firework moments.

Point in case: Ty Cobb vs Babe Ruth
That's like comparing an at bat to a full baseball season.

If you look at an at bat, a guy hits a monster 500 foot homerun. Across a season a guy hits above 300. Sure, the monster home run make sports center but the guy batting above 300 for the season gets the paycheck and the girl.
akillerwombat
8/14/2017 6:52pm
TXDirt wrote:
That's like comparing an at bat to a full baseball season. If you look at an at bat, a guy hits a monster 500 foot homerun...

If you look at an at bat, a guy hits a monster 500 foot homerun. Across a season a guy hits above 300. Sure, the monster home run make sports center but the guy batting above 300 for the season gets the paycheck and the girl.
And which one do more people remember?
TogaSet
Fantasy
3894th
8/14/2017 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 7:09pm
2009 AMA West Coast SX Lites Champion
2009 AMA 250 Motocross Champion
2009 Motocross des Nations Champion
2010 AMA Supercross 450 Champion (Rookie Season)[note 1]
2010 AMA 450 Motocross Champion (Rookie Season)
2010 Motocross des Nations Champion (Team USA)
2011 Motocross des Nations Champion (Team USA)
2012 AMA 450 Motocross Champion[note 2]
2015 AMA Supercross 450 Champion
2015 AMA 450 Motocross Champion
2016 AMA Supercross 450 Champion
2017 AMA Supercross 450 Champion[note 3]
Dungey retired at 27 Eli is almost 25 he better hurry to catch up
9 number 1 plates hanging in his garage not to mention the Des nations ones
But some of you imbeciles think tomac will be remembered more . Uh huh
Hut
8/14/2017 7:02pm
cali11 wrote:
I didn't know someone 13 points down could throw the title away
12 points down and when you are Ryan Villopoto the SX title is yours!
TXDirt
8/14/2017 7:04pm
TXDirt wrote:
That's like comparing an at bat to a full baseball season. If you look at an at bat, a guy hits a monster 500 foot homerun...

And which one do more people remember?
That may be more a reflection of your attention span.

Which do people remember and which one actually matters.
doofy
8/14/2017 7:08pm
After reading all this im curious as to what made RV able to beat Dungey time after time.

Aldon said Dungey is the most athletic rider he's ever trained and that he was a work horse and RV HATED training. Obviously dunge was rock solid consistent... it almost makes me think RV was even more badass of a dude. Slaughtering the field year and year seemingly with no care in the world.
akillerwombat
8/14/2017 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 7:10pm
TXDirt wrote:
That may be more a reflection of your attention span.

Which do people remember and which one actually matters.
It's a reflection of the nature of sports history; we always remember those with amazing accomplishments but we never stop talking about people who blew our minds with those 'are you fucking kidding me?!?!' moments.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3894th
8/14/2017 7:16pm
doofy wrote:
After reading all this im curious as to what made RV able to beat Dungey time after time. Aldon said Dungey is the most athletic rider...
After reading all this im curious as to what made RV able to beat Dungey time after time.

Aldon said Dungey is the most athletic rider he's ever trained and that he was a work horse and RV HATED training. Obviously dunge was rock solid consistent... it almost makes me think RV was even more badass of a dude. Slaughtering the field year and year seemingly with no care in the world.
Never bet against a short readhead with freckles . Even more so if he trains in Florida

Post a reply to: Difference between dungey and tomac

The Latest