Dieting/Training

CSAR FE
7/19/2020 7:31pm
yz133rider wrote:
Funny as I’ve been keto for nearly 2 years now and feel better than ever. Was about 2 days of adjusting and has been smooth ever...
Funny as I’ve been keto for nearly 2 years now and feel better than ever. Was about 2 days of adjusting and has been smooth ever since. Lost 60lbs or so and have kept it off this whole time.

Different things work for different people for sure. This works for me.
CSAR FE wrote:
I think you're right. Everyone's body is different! Congrats on losing 60 lbs. That's a big deal. I've noticed I am very sensitive to my carb...
I think you're right. Everyone's body is different! Congrats on losing 60 lbs. That's a big deal.

I've noticed I am very sensitive to my carb intake, especially on high volume or heavy weight/large muscle group days like legs or back. If I eat too many carbs, I'm fine and can lift quite a bit, however, if I am just shy of enough, it massively effects my energy and strength. So you can imagine that keto was particularly brutal for me.
yz133rider wrote:
I wonder if you gave it enough time to adjust? I noticed that previously i had to eat more often to avoid getting hungry and particularly...
I wonder if you gave it enough time to adjust?
I noticed that previously i had to eat more often to avoid getting hungry and particularly before a long work out I needed to fuel up to avoid hitting the wall mid way thru a workout. Since changing up my eating to keto I can go much longer between meals and don’t have to fuel up as heavy or at all before a workout and coast thru it no problem.

I’m a big believer in finding what works for you tho, so it seems you’re ahead of most by paying attention to it!
I think I did it pretty consistently for about 2 months, and couldn’t take it any longer. I just felt horrible. I was eating quite a bit more food actually, but it just wasn’t enough. I definitely lost weight though, and fast.
FIREfish148
7/20/2020 3:47am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2020 3:49am
Paleo on organic food has been the best diet I've found that works for me. As far as training I'm still figuring it out. I get burnt out fast if I take it too serious so I've been trying to keep it fun with basketball and mountain biking.

If you're going to run a lot I would definitely suggest getting a proper running technique down. I personally am a heel striker and recently learned how bad it is on your joints.

Supplements help a lot too. I take just thrives pro biotic, magnesium by mag tech or pristine hydro's magnesium bicarbonate (stay away from magnesium citrate, stuff does more harm than good), and creatine by kion after workouts.

I've dabbled with a lot of supplements and those have shown to be the most beneficial. I used to take amino acids but when I got tested my levels were through the roof so I stopped.

I've been following Robb Beams for like a decade and he has some good stuff. He's definitely evolved and isn't stuck on a concrete "everything I say is it!" mentality.
Markopolo400
7/20/2020 7:13am
sticecube wrote:
Whats up guys, thank you all for all of the input. After doing a lot of my own research, as well as talking to a few...
Whats up guys, thank you all for all of the input. After doing a lot of my own research, as well as talking to a few nutrition science majors, and taking into account that my KX250 build isn't going to be done for another 2 months at the earliest, I decided for my specific goals and needs that I tried Keto.

As stated above, it did make me feel like shit, I experienced Keto sickness for about 3 days, but in a matter of 2.5 weeks I was able to cut 13.4 lbs. Since then I have been eating carbs again and been in the weight room when I can. My plan going forward is to eat enough carbs to help me continue to cut pounds, but eat enough to make strength and cardio gains. I will say after you get over the hump with keto, which for me was about 4 days into it, it really wasn't that bad, I actually felt pretty good aside from noticing I would get dehydrated a lot quicker than normal.

For those interested in the stats this was my diet for those 2.5 weeks:
Carb inake: 35-45 carbs
Calorie intake: 600-900 with 1 day of 1200
I mostly ate beef jerky, lettuce wraps, fruits, eggs, and bacon as well as doing some keto protein shakes to replace meals.
I cut all drinks besides water and 1 sugar free redbull ( i get them for free at work)

My diet for the next 60 days will be:
carbs: 60-80
calories: 2 week days under 650 calories (most likely low carb days) and i will try to keep every day around 1000
I will still be cutting out all fast food, soda, and gatorade (unless at the gym or riding)
My diet will still be pretty much the same, i will just add in bread and rice to help add some carbs to my day

As far as my training goes, I plan to start doing a 20 minute HIT workout each morning to start up my fat burning process as well as just get my blood flowing. Every evening I will either do weight training or some form of cardio depending on what my program tells me to do that I developed with a trainer at the gym I go too. Like I said, I'm not riding a whole lot right now, I have a 250 2 stroke I thought was going to be done 2 weeks ago but you always find another thing wrong with it to fix, so I'm not going to be riding or anything until I get some time to get back after it once I move at the end of the month and get back into the flow of school as I'm entering my senior year at the University of Nebraska.
Holy crap no wonder you cut 13lbs in 2.5 weeks...You were starving yourself. My breakfast is around 700cal alone (eggs, oatmeal).

Cut out the crap, eat real food, eat enough to fuel your body. If you eat that little not only will you burn fat, you'll burn off muscle too.
sticecube
7/20/2020 7:46am
yz133rider wrote:
What do you weigh that your restricting to 650-1000 calories? That’s very very low.
I’m currently like 245ish, it’s fluctuated since I started eating carbs again. I’m going back to a 250 from a 450 and would like to maybe move up to the local pro class next summer. My main need to cut weight is to help with machine reliability because when I was bigger than I am now, I was going through parts like crazy, both engine and chassis, while still doing vigorous maintenance on my bikes.

Ideal weight for me would be around 195-205. I’m proportionally built like 70% muscle with 30% fat? (Not body fat but like I look like a muscular fat kid basically lol) but I’m also 6’2 so I know cutting below 195 would make me look like a skeleton.

The Shop

yz133rider
7/20/2020 7:50am
yz133rider wrote:
What do you weigh that your restricting to 650-1000 calories? That’s very very low.
sticecube wrote:
I’m currently like 245ish, it’s fluctuated since I started eating carbs again. I’m going back to a 250 from a 450 and would like to maybe...
I’m currently like 245ish, it’s fluctuated since I started eating carbs again. I’m going back to a 250 from a 450 and would like to maybe move up to the local pro class next summer. My main need to cut weight is to help with machine reliability because when I was bigger than I am now, I was going through parts like crazy, both engine and chassis, while still doing vigorous maintenance on my bikes.

Ideal weight for me would be around 195-205. I’m proportionally built like 70% muscle with 30% fat? (Not body fat but like I look like a muscular fat kid basically lol) but I’m also 6’2 so I know cutting below 195 would make me look like a skeleton.

Weighing 245 and eating 650-1000 calories is ridiculous my man.

Limit yourself to like 1700-2100 with some regular cardio and exercise and you will get under 200 safely and steadily.

Markopolo400
7/20/2020 9:56am
Yep...If you truly do eat that little your body is in starvation mode.

Just curious though, how are you measuring calories? Are you weighing food or just guessing?
emohteeoh
7/20/2020 10:46am
Following a restrictive diet when training is counterproductive. You may see initially see results, but these diets are not a sustainable way to maintain a healthy body composition or be able to train consistently at a high level.

Diet is extremely personal and a lot of factors play a role including allergies/intolerances and ethical issues. This is not a plug, and I haven't used it before but Inside Tracker offers blood panels that a lot of endurance athletes have been using to really dial in proper food choices.

If you're serious about training, some of the easiest things you can implement are forming good habits around hydration and sleep. Avoid processed foods/sodas. Eat fruits and veggies that are rich in color. Drink alcohol sparingly.

Consistency is your friend. Establish a routine that you can stick to. Drastic diet changes and jumping into a program that looks sexy because the pro's are doing similar things are quick ways to burnout. Build your volume/intensity over time.

Motocross is demanding. If you're riding once or twice a week, these WILL be your higher intensity days just by nature of the activity. It's great if you can get in the gym once or twice a week for sessions to build strength and help you avoid injury. These do not need to be HIIT sessions. If you have a bike, a few days a week is perfect, but these should really be at a "zone 2 intensity" to focus on building you aerobic fitness to allow you enough recovery to be able to put your harder efforts towards your focused activity: motocross.

sticecube
7/20/2020 2:01pm
Yep...If you truly do eat that little your body is in starvation mode. Just curious though, how are you measuring calories? Are you weighing food or...
Yep...If you truly do eat that little your body is in starvation mode.

Just curious though, how are you measuring calories? Are you weighing food or just guessing?
I weigh most everything, with some stuff like eggs I just estimate based on how many I eat with an average amount in one unit of it if that makes sense.

I’m not as super focused on the calories I intake, it’s just when I do keto and how often I eat and what I eat the calorie intake I have is quite low. I don’t feel like I’m super tired or anything aside from the 3 days I had “keto sickness”. After that I felt really good. Despite my size my appetite is actually pretty small, if I do eat a full meal it’s usually only one per day other wise I start to feel bloated.

Every person is different and it’s important to just read how you feel, when my training picks up if I feel like I’m gassing out quicker than expected I’ll obviously add some more food to my day to help counter that feeling.
sticecube
7/20/2020 2:07pm
yz133rider wrote:
sticecube wrote:
I’m currently like 245ish, it’s fluctuated since I started eating carbs again. I’m going back to a 250 from a 450 and would like to maybe...

yz133rider wrote:
Weighing 245 and eating 650-1000 calories is ridiculous my man. Limit yourself to like 1700-2100 with some regular cardio and exercise and you will get under...

Limit yourself to like 1700-2100 with some regular cardio and exercise and you will get under 200 safely and steadily.

Dude before I started dieting I don’t think I’d even eat 2100 calories in a day. Im a big dude but my appetite has been pretty small since I caught a stomach virus in January which has made it hard to eat more than one full meal in a day. I probably cut my calorie intake by maybe 60%?

Im usually only eating something small for breakfast, I try to eat a full meal for lunch, and then I eat enough to feel full at night. Most of my size is from when I quit training as an amateur and quit riding for basically 2 years.
yz133rider
7/20/2020 2:19pm
sticecube wrote:

yz133rider wrote:
Weighing 245 and eating 650-1000 calories is ridiculous my man. Limit yourself to like 1700-2100 with some regular cardio and exercise and you will get under...

sticecube wrote:
Dude before I started dieting I don’t think I’d even eat 2100 calories in a day. Im a big dude but my appetite has been pretty...
Dude before I started dieting I don’t think I’d even eat 2100 calories in a day. Im a big dude but my appetite has been pretty small since I caught a stomach virus in January which has made it hard to eat more than one full meal in a day. I probably cut my calorie intake by maybe 60%?

Im usually only eating something small for breakfast, I try to eat a full meal for lunch, and then I eat enough to feel full at night. Most of my size is from when I quit training as an amateur and quit riding for basically 2 years.
I would have to imagine your calories are coming from somewhere you don’t realize, or you literally defy physics and are an anomaly. I agree with you on doing what works for you though and listening to yourself!!

Post a reply to: Dieting/Training

The Latest