Dieting/Training

sticecube
6/23/2020 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2020 2:01pm
Whats up guys,

Recently I've regained the urge to go racing after a good 4-5 years of maybe racing once a year just because my friends drag me out there, where it's more about having a good time off of the track rather than on the track. I've definitely put on some lbs in the last few years so the on track fitness is good for about two balls fast laps followed quickly by fading almost 4-7 seconds a lap of the pace. So here's my question:

What are you guys, who are more serious about your weight loss/management and on track fitness doing for training and dieting? I'm not hitting any nationals, but I have the speed/skill of a decent A/B class rider.

I'm really leaning towards doing a month of two of going vegan with a ton of cardio (rowing/cycling) to try and cut down as much weight as I can as fast as I can (in a healthy way) but I don't hear of many, if any, moto guys going that route. Just interested in what you all are out there doing.

I'm a taller and bulkier build, running 6'1 and 250lbs.

Cheers guys ~ GS
|
crowe176
6/23/2020 6:31pm
High intensity interval training worked best for me to get more laps per session. Nothing crazy.
cable
6/23/2020 6:39pm
easiest, and fastest way is to run 4 miles, a few times a week. even 2 miles will do wonders.
Talisker
6/23/2020 6:49pm
Buy a Peloton. Easy, simple , and no extra bike maintenance. Start light and simple with 3 days a week. As you get more endurance and strength extend to 4-6 days depending on how your body feels. Always mix in low impact rides during the week. Everything does not always have to be constant high intensity. That’s not sustainable. You will burnout and loose interest.
AxlBundy
6/23/2020 6:56pm
Being vegan is pretty dumb, derailing anything you home to accomplish unless sarcopenia Is the goal

The Shop

bvm111
6/23/2020 6:56pm
i’m training for a marathon i’ll never run in ... down almost 20 pounds and my arm pump has gone away, but i’m still as slow as i ever was!
6/23/2020 7:09pm
dont go vegan and work out to cut as much weight as possible. its better to be 230, exercising and eating enough to fuel your body than to starve yourself at 210 and have no energy.
kkawboy14
6/23/2020 7:10pm
sticecube wrote:
Whats up guys, Recently I've regained the urge to go racing after a good 4-5 years of maybe racing once a year just because my friends...
Whats up guys,

Recently I've regained the urge to go racing after a good 4-5 years of maybe racing once a year just because my friends drag me out there, where it's more about having a good time off of the track rather than on the track. I've definitely put on some lbs in the last few years so the on track fitness is good for about two balls fast laps followed quickly by fading almost 4-7 seconds a lap of the pace. So here's my question:

What are you guys, who are more serious about your weight loss/management and on track fitness doing for training and dieting? I'm not hitting any nationals, but I have the speed/skill of a decent A/B class rider.

I'm really leaning towards doing a month of two of going vegan with a ton of cardio (rowing/cycling) to try and cut down as much weight as I can as fast as I can (in a healthy way) but I don't hear of many, if any, moto guys going that route. Just interested in what you all are out there doing.

I'm a taller and bulkier build, running 6'1 and 250lbs.

Cheers guys ~ GS
Intermittent fasting for the last 6 months!
6/23/2020 7:27pm
Don’t complicate it, you know what’s bad to eat and what isn’t, get some exercise, stretch, hydrate and ride
Kyle978
6/23/2020 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2020 7:32pm
I've tried a lot of different things over the years of racing MTB and Cycling, and racing moto.

Vegan didn't work for me, the amount of effort and knowledge it takes to get everything you need while eating vegan is tough. It can be done, but I would need a staff to shop and prepare the right stuff to sustain while training.

I would say simply eat tons of vegetables with every meal, 4-6oz portions of meats (chicken and fish is best, beef occasionally), run 3-5 miles 3x a week, hit the concept 2 rower a few days a week and stretch a ton. Yoga is great as well. Intermittent fasting is great on light days (I only eat between 12pm-8pm 3-4x a week)

I've found that making big, sudden changes is tough. I've tried vegan, keto, crazy changes in workouts etc. and it's tough to adapt and your body kind of freaks out. The biggest thing is eating whole foods, not processed BS and cutting out as much unnecessary sugar as possible. You'll be amazed what simply diet will do to your energy levels and body shape, which makes increasing your training that much easier.

Good luck, enjoy the process. Not everyone's bodies or motivation are the same, so be careful who you listen to. Start slow and simple, and see what works for you.
Meister
6/23/2020 7:39pm
Look up reshape reclaim diet. I do it through my chiro. Monitored and healthy way to drop pretty fast.. you're about an inch taller than me and close to the same weight.

100% clean eating will get you there. 0 sugar unless from fruit. I only use stevia and no artificial sweeteners for my coffee. If I take it seriously, I can drop a couple pounds or more a day and still feel good. In 2016 I went from 265 to 213.. but, I'm a crackhead for food and I'm back up in the 250 range. Plan on sticking to it now to get back to where I was in hopes of racing some bigger races next year.
VetMX.com
6/23/2020 7:51pm
IF 8/16
Grass fed steaks, clean chicken, fresh shell fish and cruciforous veg.
6/23/2020 8:02pm
If you want to lose weight fast you should cut carbs completely, it puts your body in a state called ketosis.
I am doing that at the moment, it’s tough, carbs are in a lot of the foods I love, but I have been cooking some great easy meals too and I’m feeling amazing lately.
Just google the keto diet, it’s an easy to follow concept.
Good luck!!
sticecube
6/23/2020 8:13pm
Meister wrote:
Look up reshape reclaim diet. I do it through my chiro. Monitored and healthy way to drop pretty fast.. you're about an inch taller than me...
Look up reshape reclaim diet. I do it through my chiro. Monitored and healthy way to drop pretty fast.. you're about an inch taller than me and close to the same weight.

100% clean eating will get you there. 0 sugar unless from fruit. I only use stevia and no artificial sweeteners for my coffee. If I take it seriously, I can drop a couple pounds or more a day and still feel good. In 2016 I went from 265 to 213.. but, I'm a crackhead for food and I'm back up in the 250 range. Plan on sticking to it now to get back to where I was in hopes of racing some bigger races next year.
I made my first big drop in weight in 2017, similar to you I went from 275ish to 215 but i did it between memorial day and labor day, but i was just on a serious cardio grind of suffering at a 145-170 heart rate for 35-50 minutes M-F and when i got back to college I just couldn't maintain the schedule and put the pounds back on by the next summer of 2018.
sticecube
6/23/2020 8:20pm
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm somewhat new to this training/ dieting thing since I wasn't a big gym guy when I was racing amateur nationals, I would just grind 8 lap sprints and 25 min motos 2-4 days a week depending on the race schedule.

I'll definitely steer clear of going vegan, I don't want to risk not being able to build up my strength since I rely on that a lot on the bike with how I ride.
6/23/2020 8:25pm
Jump Rope. Check out the jump rope dudes on youtube.

I was going to the gym 7 days a week before covid. When the gyms closed I had to figure something out, so I started jumping rope. I am in decent shape and still saw solid results. I started at just 30 mins a day, at about 50 mins now. I used a speed rope for about a month then purchased weighted ropes. I also picked up a polar heart rate monitor to make sure I keep my heart rate high.

When I was able to ride again I have had zero arm pump and I am doing longer motos now, then before covid.
6/23/2020 8:25pm
If your knees/ankles etc are ok then run, it’s by far the most intense exercise, buy an Apple Watch or similar, it’s daily targets are a great inspiration too, works for me a treat!
I just bought the Apple Watch 3 for under $300 and it’s great!
brettmx
6/23/2020 9:58pm
AxlBundy wrote:
Being vegan is pretty dumb, derailing anything you home to accomplish unless sarcopenia Is the goal
You're an idiot. At 50 I was eating a plant based diet and was in very, very good condition. I can tell you that I was pretty muscular at 158-160 lbs I trained hard for about 5 months prior to the Vet "Worlds". Unfortunately I wasn't able to get enough riding/racing in before the event and wasn't in the racing shape I needed to be in. I was hoping for a top 10 in the 40 Pro Class on a 250 two stroke. I had pretty good speed but didn't have racing endurance. I could go at about 70%. That had nothing to do with my diet. Oh, and I wasn't on testosterone replacement "therapy" or taking any SARMS.
Lowlander
6/23/2020 10:06pm
Intermittent fasting on a clean diet. Try going 2 days a week plant based / lower calorie (sub 1200). This will naturally drop you 2-4lbs a week for the first 6-8 weeks.

In that time concentrate on a base fitness plan.

Body weight/kettlebell style stuff (no real gym equipment required and moto suited)
AMRAP 5 x 3 minute rounds twice a week.
500-800 rep challenge for time (circa 30-40 mins) once a week

2 x endurance activities per week
Cycling for 15-25 miles
or
Run 3-5 miles

Once you get to the 6-8 week mark. Both physical appearance and physical fitness will be dramatically increased.

Try to ride once a week. If you can ride twice then drop one AMRAP day.

Overall a serious bootcamp to build a decent base. From their you start to focus on your weaknesses. But a base is essential.

I like these style of programs post injury as its hard enough to get a good result and maintainable long term.
Just about to go into this myself after 2 knee injuries in 2 months which has kept me away from the gym.
duckdog77
6/24/2020 10:51am
Guy at work is vegan and he does not eat very healthy. Just being vegan doesn’t mean you are doing your body a service they can still eat a lot of junk.

I cut soda, sweets, bread and keep pasta to a minimum (I can’t give it up completely) gym 2x’s a week 30 minute of weights. 20-30 minutes of rowing and a 3rd for leg day. Mountain bike when I can on any off days. I do watch heart rate levels and do interval training during cardio.

Ride once a week at minimum. Race a 1 hour harescrammble once a month. Losing 15lbs and Going to ironman gncc the end of this year racing sportsman B class and finishing in one piece is my goal!!!
mx_563
6/25/2020 7:35am
I've never been over 230 and in the past 20 years I've only once (for a brief time) been below 205. My body seems to like that 215-220 range. I'm 6'2" and not muscular.

In early April I decided to start a 21 day jogging regimen. Someone told me that if you do something for 21 days straight, it becomes a habit. Starting weight was about 220. So off I went. Each day I jogged for about 30-35 minutes. After the 21 days I began jogging 3-4 times per week and shortly thereafter I began switching off between jogging and riding my MTB (MTB rides involve lots of climbing, each ride lasting roughly 90 minutes). Somewhere along the way my Achilles tendon got super sore following a jog, I was hobbling around for a few days so I decided to focus on the MTB. Right now I'm riding about 3-4 times per week (90 minute average time with lots of climbing). So after 2.5 months of regular exercise I now weigh........218 lbs. WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't eat any fast food or drink carbonated drinks. I eat meat but not a lot. My weakness is bread, eating a snack after 6pm and the occasional desert. I've messed around with MyFitnessPal so I know that on my really bad days I consume about 2500-3000 calories but this is not a regular thing. Usually I think I'm at around 2000 give or take. I'm frustrated. Been putting in a lot of time on the bike and I spent all of April and most of May jogging. There's lots of room for improvement in my diet, I confess. But I mean, I'm not spending my days at the trough.

Anybody care to enlighten me? I'm not into radical changes because they tend not to last. I'm hoping for some small tweaks to put me on a good trajectory. I'm curious about intermittent fasting but I don't understand why your body wouldn't just store away as fat the food you eat after coming off the fast.
kb228
6/25/2020 7:45am
Whole30 diet is working for me. Down 16lbs in 2 weeks and still losing more. Only exercise i get at the moment is riding.
duckdog77
6/25/2020 7:59am
mx_563 wrote:
I've never been over 230 and in the past 20 years I've only once (for a brief time) been below 205. My body seems to like...
I've never been over 230 and in the past 20 years I've only once (for a brief time) been below 205. My body seems to like that 215-220 range. I'm 6'2" and not muscular.

In early April I decided to start a 21 day jogging regimen. Someone told me that if you do something for 21 days straight, it becomes a habit. Starting weight was about 220. So off I went. Each day I jogged for about 30-35 minutes. After the 21 days I began jogging 3-4 times per week and shortly thereafter I began switching off between jogging and riding my MTB (MTB rides involve lots of climbing, each ride lasting roughly 90 minutes). Somewhere along the way my Achilles tendon got super sore following a jog, I was hobbling around for a few days so I decided to focus on the MTB. Right now I'm riding about 3-4 times per week (90 minute average time with lots of climbing). So after 2.5 months of regular exercise I now weigh........218 lbs. WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't eat any fast food or drink carbonated drinks. I eat meat but not a lot. My weakness is bread, eating a snack after 6pm and the occasional desert. I've messed around with MyFitnessPal so I know that on my really bad days I consume about 2500-3000 calories but this is not a regular thing. Usually I think I'm at around 2000 give or take. I'm frustrated. Been putting in a lot of time on the bike and I spent all of April and most of May jogging. There's lots of room for improvement in my diet, I confess. But I mean, I'm not spending my days at the trough.

Anybody care to enlighten me? I'm not into radical changes because they tend not to last. I'm hoping for some small tweaks to put me on a good trajectory. I'm curious about intermittent fasting but I don't understand why your body wouldn't just store away as fat the food you eat after coming off the fast.
They say a 2,000 Healthy calorie diet will lose the average male one pound a week. I personally feel 2,000 calories is plenty for the average human and more will see better results at the 12-1500 Healthy calorie range. Also measuring weight loss purely in pounds can be a miss conception as muscle weighs more than fat in a round about way and if you’re building muscle you won’t see the results on the scale you’re looking for. Better to measure in inches lost, how you look, and how you feel than weight alone. Note the healthy calorie just watching calories alone isn’t going to see the results you want as well as there are good and bad calories. At 2500 calories you will more than likely just maintain weight. It’s not hard to consume more than 2000 calories a day.

Don’t drink your calories!
mx_563
6/25/2020 8:19am
duckdog77 wrote:
They say a 2,000 Healthy calorie diet will lose the average male one pound a week. I personally feel 2,000 calories is plenty for the average...
They say a 2,000 Healthy calorie diet will lose the average male one pound a week. I personally feel 2,000 calories is plenty for the average human and more will see better results at the 12-1500 Healthy calorie range. Also measuring weight loss purely in pounds can be a miss conception as muscle weighs more than fat in a round about way and if you’re building muscle you won’t see the results on the scale you’re looking for. Better to measure in inches lost, how you look, and how you feel than weight alone. Note the healthy calorie just watching calories alone isn’t going to see the results you want as well as there are good and bad calories. At 2500 calories you will more than likely just maintain weight. It’s not hard to consume more than 2000 calories a day.

Don’t drink your calories!
I appreciate the feedback. There's definitely room to improve the good calorie / bad calorie balance.
Jesse318pnw
6/25/2020 8:25am
Talisker wrote:
Buy a Peloton. Easy, simple , and no extra bike maintenance. Start light and simple with 3 days a week. As you get more endurance and...
Buy a Peloton. Easy, simple , and no extra bike maintenance. Start light and simple with 3 days a week. As you get more endurance and strength extend to 4-6 days depending on how your body feels. Always mix in low impact rides during the week. Everything does not always have to be constant high intensity. That’s not sustainable. You will burnout and loose interest.
Really enjoying my Peloton and have lost 25 pounds. I thought it was an overpriced gadget at first and the wife wanted one. Ended up loving it, love the metrics and it is really motivating to use regularly. You can now also look up other motocrossers using it through hashtags.
Markopolo400
6/25/2020 9:28am
mx_563 wrote:
I've never been over 230 and in the past 20 years I've only once (for a brief time) been below 205. My body seems to like...

You might not be eating enough honestly.

I do CF (yeah I know bro reps) I weigh about 220, and I track my food and macros pretty religiously. I've learned the hard way that If I don't eat enough protein/carbs each day (I keep my fat intake pretty steady) my body will start consuming its muscle and converting it to fat if it's not getting enough fuel. My body starts to hold onto what it has almost like starvation mode. I recently upped my calories to 3100ish/ day (100F, 325C, 215P if you're curious) and I feel fantastic.

Also, when I talk to people about fitness and nutrition I encourage them to more think about body comp not weight. You might have only dropped 3lbs, but how much fat vs muscle was that? See if there are any InBody machines nearby where you live (My local Max Muscle nutrition store has one, its free) its not the best way to measure BF% but it's something, and it's free at this store.

If you really want to get into the weeds, get a food scale and weigh your food and compare to the number of grams per serving size, not the "2 slices" thing, those are usually very off. 1 serving size of PB is pretty depressing.

My advice - eat healthy whole foods you cook at home. If you can, lean more towards low glycemic index carbs (Sweet potatoes vs sugary cereal) keep the protein intake high, and watch the fats to a point (Chips are my arch enemy, soooo good, but so much fat).
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
6/25/2020 9:58am
Sleep a lot and good and don't training too much.

About the diet you just need a good ratio of macros. If you want increase your strength, up the lipid. Be careful of your blood acidosis because when your eat a lot of protein, your acidosis increase and that's not good. To kept your arcidosis law, eat a a lot of vegetable, take a spoon of cider vinegar before eating or drink water lemon.

+ VitD and BCAA.
SoCalMX70
6/25/2020 10:10am
I was 6'1" 250lbs about 2.5 years ago. I've been around 190lbs for awhile now.

To the OP, I'd say your initial plan to drop weight is sound, minus the vegan part. Just eat clean(ish) and keep rough track of your intake. As long as you're burning more than eating, you'll shed pounds quickly, especially for the first couple months.

My biggest mistake was that I simply kept doing cardio (rowing and running) and zero weight training for about 7 or 8 months... I got all the way down to 183 at one point and felt super weak. Lifting my bike off the stand became a chore! I started to mix in a day of strength training, then 2... Now I do it 3 days a week. Full body every time. I haven't felt this good since I played football in highschool!

My strength routine is mostly just various dumbbell and body weight exercises, along with a couple band exercises (face pulls and side steps). I change it up all the time.

Always do some variation of squats, always. Every time. That big muscle strength and hip flexibility is so important.

My current shortcoming is anything core related... Sure, push ups and squats hit my core, but it isn't enough. I'll be changing things up again soon.
6/25/2020 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2020 12:08pm
I'm 58, 5' 6", and currently 155 lbs. I've been as high as 180 lb. At that weight, I could ride a bicycle for as long as I wanted and had good recovery during MX but couldn't do 2 laps at speed- I'd get tired FAST and recover fast. I couldn't do sprints on the bicycle either.

In 2011, I did a traditional calorie restricted diet and went from 180 to 161 over the course of the summer. I could never break 160. Eating the SAME things and doing the SAME exercise, I started gaining again and stopped about 170 where I stayed for several years.

I started seeing signs of what I thought was oncoming diabetes or adrenal fatigue or _something_. All my vitals checked out fine, but any kind of excitement would _total_ me. One cup of coffee was okay. Three cups and I'd have to take a 2 hour nap. Any kind of carbs- but _especially_ bread and sugar carbs- would smack me flat to the floor inside 30 minutes. At one point, I needed to walk 125 yards to the barn. It took me 20 minutes to get the energy up start out the door and 1/2 way there, I had to stop, lie down in the driveway, and sleep for 15 minutes.

Just for fun, I decided to try keto. Inside a week, my mental attitude was SO MUCH better. I started losing weight. In 2 months, I watched 160 approach and zip past. I got all the way down to 151 lbs and stayed there for a couple of weeks. Then I started strength exercises and my weight came up a little bit ot 153-155, which is still fine. Three years later, I'm still on a keto-like diet and still at 155 lbs. I eat 75% fats, 5% carb, and 20% protein. Lots of avocado, chicken, and green veggies. No bread, no sugar carbs (except an occasional spoonful of ice cream), no soft drinks at all.

Along the way, my cardio just improved by itself. These days, I ride with my 16 year old son and we routinely do 20-30 minute MX practices at about 80% speed. Couple of weekends ago, I rode 6 10 minute practices and 4-10 minute motos in 90 F heat, and felt great afterwards. I couldn't have done that 5 years ago.

For exercise, I do 3 sets of 20-30 leg curls and the same with pull-down, side pull things on the single cable bar. I take a 35 lb kettleball, do a "basketball crouch" and "dance" from foot to foot while transferring the kettlebell from hand to hand. I do 3 sets of 50 of these things- they are great for shoulder, legs, and cardio. I hold a 15 lb ball between my knees, lean way back, and do squats with 4 lb weights held out in front of me... like riding rollers, sort of. Killer leg exercise. 20 minutes on an elliptical, just spinning All of this 3x/week. It's fun and I feel great.

VetMX.com
6/26/2020 4:43am
mx_563 wrote:

You also need to remember that muscle is much heavier than fat. Buy a $75 Tanita scale and check your body fat right before you go to sleep. Also, look at the carnivore diet for 30-60 days. Look up Dr. Shawn Baker on YouTube. He is a Dr. that is mid 50s and has 5 strength world titles and is a beast. 6'5" and ripped and throws 185# kettle bells around like I do with 60#ers.

Also most people don't understand how IF and Keto work. There is a switch in your body that flips on from insulin intake. Once you introduce carbs the switch flips and your body runs on carbs and stops burning fat and starts converting sugar and calories to fat storage. Even milk or sugar in your coffee in the morning turns off the fat burn switch for fuel. You are basically like a dual fuel car with sugar being the easiest to burn. Your body instinctively starts storing fat in case you don't have food for a week or 2 out like the cave men experienced.
And 0 bread if you are serious about getting cut.
Also, you vegans and chicken eaters are forgetting that good grass fed steaks have something very important for strength and it is not the same creatin that you buy as a supplement. 1 or 2 steaks a week minimum for strength especially if you are on HRT.
Hope this helps.
Markopolo400
6/26/2020 6:54am
^^^ I agree with 99% of that. I've tried it all (IF, Keto...you name it) but I am not sold on the long term viability of carnivore.

IMO and in my experience, if you are looking for athleticism, including explosiveness, a lower/moderate fat intake and high carb/protein diet is the way to go. But it's a lot of work, you need to maintain caloric intake, track everything, and eat every few hours. This is what I am doing now, and I feel great during my workouts.

If you just want to cut fat, IF and keto work well. You feel great in daily life, but any sort of explosiveness went away for me (Think like a max box jump, or Oly weightlifting) and I felt pretty lethargic during workouts. Which makes sense, my body was looking for quick glucose from carbs, and it wasn't there. And while fat can power the body, it takes longer.

Here's some good info on the fat vs carb energy supply too. https://www.jtsstrength.com/jts-classic-explosive-nutrition/?v=7516fd43…

Post a reply to: Dieting/Training

The Latest