Diet and Exercise? What's your routine and diet?

Edited Date/Time 3/5/2014 1:08pm
So I've wanted to get into shape for riding and just in general. I have a workout routine but I've been sick for a while so that's been on hold. I actually use the workout routine that was on vital mx for people who are on the road and pioneers because I don't have gym access or a home gym so I do what I can. I don't have a diet though which isn't a very good thing. I have noticed I've gain some weight over these winter months and I want to lose some weight and in shape. What's your workout and diet? any advice to trying to get and stay healthy?
|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/12/2014 12:09pm
Back in the 80s I got a part time job at UPS so for two hours a night I unloaded trucks and that whipped me into shape fast and I got paid to do it and free healthcare and that worked great for me because I would never stick to a training program or go to the gym.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
2/12/2014 12:13pm
Eat clean, chicken, fish, brown rice, veggies and fruits.
Mountain bike 5 days a week.
Weight training 3 days a week.
Martial Arts 2 days a week.

Works great.

The Shop

casper
2/12/2014 12:25pm
I have a trainer and this is the diet he put me on.
Meal 1 - 6 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1 orange
Meal 2 - 7oz Chicken, 1/2 cup white rice
Meal 3 - 7oz turkey 5oz yam
Meal 4 - 7 oz Chicken, 1 cup vegitables
Meal 5 - 8 oz red meat extra lean, 1 cup veg.

Post workout shake 2 scoops 1/2 bagel

You get 2 "cheat meals" a week, meaning you can have what ever you want, just don't go overboard. Like have 2 slices of pizza, not the whole pie.

It's alot of food, and very time consuming preparing it all, but it's clean eating and you wont be starving yourself. I've been on it a month and can definitely feel a difference.
2/12/2014 12:35pm
Cut out soda and booze and have about four or five salads a week and the weight will fall off.
Titan1
2/12/2014 12:50pm
I've been doing p90x because I don't have a gym close and don't have a home gym...I have been impressed with it...a ton of focus on core strength, cardio...it really seems to be addressing my weak areas.

I will see how it affects my racing...season starts in a week and a half.
IWreckALot
2/12/2014 1:00pm
Titan1 wrote:
I've been doing p90x because I don't have a gym close and don't have a home gym...I have been impressed with it...a ton of focus on...
I've been doing p90x because I don't have a gym close and don't have a home gym...I have been impressed with it...a ton of focus on core strength, cardio...it really seems to be addressing my weak areas.

P90X is great. I went through it a year or two ago.

Biggest gains I picked up for racing was when I picked up mountain biking. I started off riding flat surfaces to get my legs in shape then started working hills in. The more hills you can get worked up to the better off you'll be. Hills suck while you ride them but you love them once you're done.

Funny this thread comes up because in about an hour after I get off work, I'm going to get a gym membership. Hopefully the new years fad has died down some.
35smom
2/12/2014 1:02pm
Titan1 wrote:
I've been doing p90x because I don't have a gym close and don't have a home gym...I have been impressed with it...a ton of focus on...

I'm doing the new version P90X3...45 days in and can already see a big difference.
hvaughn88
2/12/2014 1:06pm
currently trying to cut back on the craft beers and go more towards low calorie beers. Honestly, it kinda sucks drinking beer flavored water (Michelob ultra), but it really shocked me when I really sat down and looked at the empty calories I was consuming from my favorite dark beers. It's not like I'm drinking like I was when I was in college, but when you get occupied in the garage tinkering on stuff, it's easy to finish off a few beers and not think anything about it.
MarkF
2/12/2014 1:09pm
I ride on weekends for exercise. Cereal for breakfast (the sweeter the better), fast food for lunch and whatever franchise restaurant I'm not bored with for dinner. I usually have some kind of cookies, ice cream or baked goods for an evening snack. I suppose if I ate better I could make it to the finish line a little less tired, but I'm old and just want to enjoy life.
Flesh206
2/12/2014 1:32pm
My diet is not a diet, but I've always said it's easier to stay thin then to loose a bunch of weight.
Motodave15
2/12/2014 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2014 1:43pm
For work, I walk at a minimum 5 mile a day.. and lift various weighing objects.

I also play hockey (a lot of hockey and moto on the weekends), so between the two things.. I don't really have to work out or have a specific diet.

But my diet is a E.O.S. and a D.O.S
MR. X
2/12/2014 1:44pm
I stopped eating junk food a couple weeks ago , except on SX night i get some of those habanero flavored potato chips . I started doing the exercises in the T 25 workout last monday . I can't stand all the assholes at the gym so i needed to do something at home.
2/12/2014 1:53pm
- Paleo diet with a few cheat meals during the week

- Strength/Olympic Lifting 4-5 days a week with short circuits after.

- Intervals / Tempo work on Roadbike 3-4 days a week.

When the snow melts, I ride more, and strength train maybe 2-3 x's a week. Get out the MTB a lot as well.
35smom
2/12/2014 1:55pm
So I've wanted to get into shape for riding and just in general. I have a workout routine but I've been sick for a while so...
So I've wanted to get into shape for riding and just in general. I have a workout routine but I've been sick for a while so that's been on hold. I actually use the workout routine that was on vital mx for people who are on the road and pioneers because I don't have gym access or a home gym so I do what I can. I don't have a diet though which isn't a very good thing. I have noticed I've gain some weight over these winter months and I want to lose some weight and in shape. What's your workout and diet? any advice to trying to get and stay healthy?
If you can get resistance bands and a kettleball if possible, that's your best choice. Both are somewhat inexpensive, and being a girl they will build up your upper body for riding, plus the kettleball is an excellent cardio and weight training workout. Look online for the videos. Also yoga, great for core strength and balance and free on the internet! Nothing needed for that but a mat (or towel). Good Luck!
Titan1
2/12/2014 2:21pm
Titan1 wrote:

35smom wrote:
I'm doing the new version P90X3...45 days in and can already see a big difference.
My issue is that I just don't have time to do it every day (I'm usually 3 or 4 days a week)...and I haven't done the diet aspect either...but even so, I can't believe the difference its made for me. I'm excited to see how my race results go this year...I'm easily in the best shape of my life...so I'm expecting good things.
Redrcr34
2/12/2014 2:33pm
MarkF wrote:
I ride on weekends for exercise. Cereal for breakfast (the sweeter the better), fast food for lunch and whatever franchise restaurant I'm not bored with for...
I ride on weekends for exercise. Cereal for breakfast (the sweeter the better), fast food for lunch and whatever franchise restaurant I'm not bored with for dinner. I usually have some kind of cookies, ice cream or baked goods for an evening snack. I suppose if I ate better I could make it to the finish line a little less tired, but I'm old and just want to enjoy life.
Grinning My wife said your post sounds exactly like my regiment. Baked goods- couldn't stop laughing, I have cut the coca cola out and dropped 10 pounds , 4 cokes a day , can you imagine the sugar intake on that?
Spartacus
2/12/2014 3:11pm
I'm old and just want to get the most to of life and not hurry death.
snowy816
2/12/2014 3:12pm
Just eat clean - no alcohol and no sugars - raw foods and gym - crossfit is best imo. Also no shit a little trick before you ride - knock the top of it .. Um pull ya self off!!! Seriously you will ride so relaxed and helps with my arm pump...
MarkF
2/12/2014 3:59pm
MarkF wrote:
I ride on weekends for exercise. Cereal for breakfast (the sweeter the better), fast food for lunch and whatever franchise restaurant I'm not bored with for...
Redrcr34 wrote:
:lol: My wife said your post sounds exactly like my regiment. Baked goods- couldn't stop laughing, I have cut the coca cola out and dropped 10...
Grinning My wife said your post sounds exactly like my regiment. Baked goods- couldn't stop laughing, I have cut the coca cola out and dropped 10 pounds , 4 cokes a day , can you imagine the sugar intake on that?
I don't drink alcohol or smoke, but I do like the Coca-Cola....4 a day sounds about right. I weigh 165 pounds so I don't want to lose any weight. I get a physical each year and my "numbers" are always better than average. Some of us have crazy metabolsms and need those extra carbs.
Woobia 22
2/12/2014 4:08pm
I have found the No sugar (fructose) diet is certainly the best and easiest.

You find you are never starving but after the initial 2/3 weeks your energy levels are incredible. The withdrawl symtoms is the hardest stage, once over that you don't really miss it as much. Sugar's history in the world is a great story and at one stage was worth more for an ounce than both Gold and Heroin. Sadly it is a Poison that is continually shoved down our throats.

I have been a contractor and didn't do much hands on last few years, but for the first time in 27 years I worked for someone else and couldn't believe how soft the young chippies are. I didn't do it to lose weight but I ended up losing 10kg over 6 months eating like a horse. The surprising thing to me was most of my favourite foods were excluded or kept to a minimum. Fruit juices, honey over,ripe bananas, any low fat or diet labelled food, too many vegetables or fruit etc etc
In was surprising Butter, Cheese, Full cream milk, Cream, all meat, bacon and eggs etc even a macdonalds fish burger without the sauce. Most sauces that have sugar/ fructose are out.

I am recovering from chemo etc atm and I will be trying the fitness regime of standing up all day, 2/3 days per week run or exercise for 20 seconds flatout times 3. Tests have shown this to be on a par with most fitness drills. One of the guys tested worked out 5 days a week with bike rides, gym. etc, spending approx. 10/12 hours per week on his exercise. After 4 weeks or so just by standing up all day and the vigorous workout after a warm up . he was at the same levels.

The tester reckons there are 2/3 different types and they all came back the same, it was an interesting study in England.
Best part of the Sugar free is you really get to taste the food and enjoy your food more, In the end you find yourself not requiring as much food but energy levels are still great.
Spartacus
2/12/2014 4:09pm
My BMR is 2700 and when I'm really training hard on the bicycle I'll need 6-8 calories a day so I've been known to kill a Coke or two in my day. I do my best to limit those empty calories though and I like my pancreas to much to kill it with Coke/typical "energy drink".
Titan1
2/12/2014 4:10pm
MarkF wrote:
Redrcr34 wrote:
:lol: My wife said your post sounds exactly like my regiment. Baked goods- couldn't stop laughing, I have cut the coca cola out and dropped 10...
MarkF wrote:
I don't drink alcohol or smoke, but I do like the Coca-Cola....4 a day sounds about right. I weigh 165 pounds so I don't want to...
I don't drink alcohol or smoke, but I do like the Coca-Cola....4 a day sounds about right. I weigh 165 pounds so I don't want to lose any weight. I get a physical each year and my "numbers" are always better than average. Some of us have crazy metabolsms and need those extra carbs.
Soda is my Achilles heal...I was an at least a gallon a day guy (44 oz at work in the morning...usually that for lunch...another at work in the afternoon...soda for dinner)...my doc couldn't believe it when I told him how much I drank (my dentist could tell on my teeth though) because I'm so "skinny" (I was 6'1" and weighed about 165lbs). Someone needs to tell doctors that skinny does not equal healthy (though my numbers were better than average). I couldn't run a frikkin' quarter mile without almost dying, could maybe-MAYBE-do 10 pushups and 1 pull up. (I think they are so used to seeing obese people that when a skinny person walks in the office they automatically assume they are in "great shape".)

I've cut that back to 32oz a day (and now drink water...BOOOO!) ...and been doing P90X...now I'm up to 175lbs-its weird, I gained 10 lbs, but my skin is all lose and stuff, since muscle weights more than fat I guess...(Don't mess with me...I'm ripped! lol)...and can easily run 3 miles, I pumped out 50 push ups in two minutes yesterday, and did 15 pull ups.
munsch121
2/12/2014 4:45pm
So I've wanted to get into shape for riding and just in general. I have a workout routine but I've been sick for a while so...
Pizza and whiskey
jeffro503
2/12/2014 5:04pm
My excercise program is about the same , along with ( Trying ) to hit my cardio stuff harder than ever. For my diet.....3 weeks ago I changed it completely , as I needed to try something different and my stomach was giving me problems.

I went and got one of these since I've never had one and my good buddy BigDaddyG was the one who flled me in on it! I swear on my life that this thing is the best purchase I have ever made when it comes to improving my diet! I'm able to eat so many different types of fruits and so forth that I could never eat before. Take a banana for example......I've never been able to eat a banana without almost puking. The texture makes me gag. But mixing one up with some cauliflower , vanilla almond milk , Cantaloupe , melon , some flax seed , small scoop of vanilla Gold standard protein powder , ice......and BAM!.....best damn shake I've ever had! Also been playing around a lot with Blue Berries , raspberries , Avocado's , apples , Kale , almonds and a bunch of other stuff.......love this thing!

Tell ya.....if you haven't tried something like this.....you should. Not kidding when I say it's not only changed my diet , but my life as well!

hillbilly
2/12/2014 5:09pm
I always liked to loft a load the night before,even if it cost me twenty bucks
jeffro503
2/12/2014 5:11pm
OH....BTW....I am not doing this to "lose weight". I have no problem with weight and actually eat more than I should for someone my size. My metabolism is extremely good and it's hard to pack any weight on. I bought the nutribullet because I was trying to clean my system out and just basically eat healthier. It was a great choice. I don't ever seeing myself without one as a matter of fact.

Post a reply to: Diet and Exercise? What's your routine and diet?

The Latest