Did the meetings happen?

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
5/8/2020 5:32am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
And if we look at Covid deaths daily in the USA it’s still slightly below 3,000 a day...still sounds like auto accidents are more common. Also...
And if we look at Covid deaths daily in the USA it’s still slightly below 3,000 a day...still sounds like auto accidents are more common. Also at least on auto accidents the data is accurate because it’s obvious when someone dies of an auto accident. Where with Covid doctors are told if there are any underlying issues that are also a symptom of Covid they are to say the person died of Covid. Your data and point doesn’t add up like everything else involving Covid.
CASH476 wrote:
FYI 3000 per day is slightly more than 110 per day. Bold strategy calling out someone else's data not adding up.
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Auto accident deaths are 3698/day. Yes, real bold stating the truth...
In world or US? If in US can you provide a link, all I'm finding is this:

For 2016 specifically, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data shows 37,461 people were killed in 34,436 motor vehicle crashes, an average of 102 per day.
Crush
5/8/2020 6:16am
You guys are fucked living in the good old USA, $4,000 for a test? I was admitted yesterday to the hospital with a heart issue, no...
You guys are fucked living in the good old USA, $4,000 for a test?

I was admitted yesterday to the hospital with a heart issue, no insurance, the did a covid test that I received the results by the time I was released and got home.
Total cost for the day ECG, blood tests, X rays, medication, DC reversion, $ Zero.
Negative on the Covid 19 by the way.
TbonesPop wrote:
And you think all that work gets done for free? You're paying for it in some way as are others. Every system has pros and cons...
And you think all that work gets done for free? You're paying for it in some way as are others. Every system has pros and cons. The US system is far from perfect, but I can get tested for all that for about $30 in copay at the Mayo clinic. My personal out of pocket monthly premium for me and my family is $300 per month. Our company pays the other portion of it. $1500 individual deductable with family total deductable of $2500. Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance. I have no complaints.
Of course we are... but our tax rate isn’t significantly higher or at all more than yours over there, not is our taxible base larger.

Unfortunately, it appears the arguments for the free market in healthcare over there seem readily snuffed out by greed and corruption. You’re correct, no system is perfect, but badboy is right too... he got in and out for nada and I bet his tax dollars didn’t have him thinking twice of it either.
USA
Fantasy
507th
5/8/2020 6:24am
CASH476 wrote:
FYI 3000 per day is slightly more than 110 per day. Bold strategy calling out someone else's data not adding up.
vdrsnk04 wrote:
yak651 wrote:
In world or US? If in US can you provide a link, all I'm finding is this: For 2016 specifically, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)...

For 2016 specifically, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data shows 37,461 people were killed in 34,436 motor vehicle crashes, an average of 102 per day.
He has to be trolling you and everyone.. or just getting information from facebook..

Nobody is that dense.
Ted722
5/9/2020 7:12am
vdrsnk04 wrote:
yak651 wrote:
In world or US? If in US can you provide a link, all I'm finding is this: For 2016 specifically, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)...

USA wrote:
He has to be trolling you and everyone.. or just getting information from facebook..

Nobody is that dense.
CDC's accidental injury list below. Wow, accidental poising out front of auto accidents with falls close behind auto accidents.

Unintentional fatal injuries (accidental deaths) ranked 3rd on CDC's 10 leading list from 2017 data, well behind heart disease and cancer.

The Shop

newmason
5/9/2020 7:25am
I get all my medical advice from Vitalmx. Still trying to get my fish bowl cleaned since I ate all the hydroxychloroquine
Barrett57
5/9/2020 7:39am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2020 7:40am
Crush wrote:
Of course we are... but our tax rate isn’t significantly higher or at all more than yours over there, not is our taxible base larger. Unfortunately...
Of course we are... but our tax rate isn’t significantly higher or at all more than yours over there, not is our taxible base larger.

Unfortunately, it appears the arguments for the free market in healthcare over there seem readily snuffed out by greed and corruption. You’re correct, no system is perfect, but badboy is right too... he got in and out for nada and I bet his tax dollars didn’t have him thinking twice of it either.
Sounds like Communism to me.
mb60
5/9/2020 11:03am
newmason wrote:
I get all my medical advice from Vitalmx. Still trying to get my fish bowl cleaned since I ate all the hydroxychloroquine
Sir I believe you watched 1 to many political rallies or I mean covid 19 daily briefings.
2thefront
5/9/2020 12:37pm
Based on the anti body testing data from multiple states, the death rate from COVID-19 is gonna be a good bit under 1%. A ton of people already have had it and never had symptoms. The healthy will survive. The unhealthy will be susceptible. It is what it is. Time to get back to normal.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
5/9/2020 1:37pm
The challenge with arguing about this data is we don't accurately know the denominator. Doctors are being pressured to code stuff as Covid related due to $$ associated with it, which also effects the numerator. So % of deaths along with how deaths are being coded is highly suspect at this point as both data points are likely inaccurate.

The statistics I'm paying the closest attention to are the number of Covid 19 hospitalizations per 100,000 people in the population compared to the amount of seasonal flu hospitalizations per 100,000 people. The media isn't discussing this much because its not going to get the eyeballs that "death toll" will get. Remember, "if it bleeds it leads". I like looking at the % hospitalizations with Covid 19 compared to 100,000 people in the population because you have a clearly defined denominator and you have a defined numerator in that the cases have tested positive for Covid 19 and are in the hospital. It's harder to skew this data.

Currently, the cumulative hospitalization rate of Covid 19 per 100,000 people is 50.3 people per 100,000 people.

The 2019-2020 hospitalization rate for season flu and pneumonia per 100,000 people is 69.2 people per 100,000.

All of the above data is straight from the CDC. The seasonal flu time period technically ended May 1 (7 month season), but the seasonal ramp up of hospitalizations starts usually around December 1 (or ~5 months ago). We're 4-5 months into the Covid 19, which I would say is about 1 month behind the season flu ramp up for hospitalizations. About 4 weeks ago, the seasonal flu hospitalization rate was still above 60 people per 100,000. Seems to me the severity of both are very similar.

I fully understand that the virus is very different that the flu in how it impacts the body. Of note, the majority of flu cases this year are of the H1N1 strain (swine flu).
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
5/9/2020 2:17pm
TbonesPop wrote:
The challenge with arguing about this data is we don't accurately know the denominator. Doctors are being pressured to code stuff as Covid related due to...
The challenge with arguing about this data is we don't accurately know the denominator. Doctors are being pressured to code stuff as Covid related due to $$ associated with it, which also effects the numerator. So % of deaths along with how deaths are being coded is highly suspect at this point as both data points are likely inaccurate.

The statistics I'm paying the closest attention to are the number of Covid 19 hospitalizations per 100,000 people in the population compared to the amount of seasonal flu hospitalizations per 100,000 people. The media isn't discussing this much because its not going to get the eyeballs that "death toll" will get. Remember, "if it bleeds it leads". I like looking at the % hospitalizations with Covid 19 compared to 100,000 people in the population because you have a clearly defined denominator and you have a defined numerator in that the cases have tested positive for Covid 19 and are in the hospital. It's harder to skew this data.

Currently, the cumulative hospitalization rate of Covid 19 per 100,000 people is 50.3 people per 100,000 people.

The 2019-2020 hospitalization rate for season flu and pneumonia per 100,000 people is 69.2 people per 100,000.

All of the above data is straight from the CDC. The seasonal flu time period technically ended May 1 (7 month season), but the seasonal ramp up of hospitalizations starts usually around December 1 (or ~5 months ago). We're 4-5 months into the Covid 19, which I would say is about 1 month behind the season flu ramp up for hospitalizations. About 4 weeks ago, the seasonal flu hospitalization rate was still above 60 people per 100,000. Seems to me the severity of both are very similar.

I fully understand that the virus is very different that the flu in how it impacts the body. Of note, the majority of flu cases this year are of the H1N1 strain (swine flu).
But wouldn’t the argument be the stay at home/ social distancing stuff greatly affected the current COVID rates? The answer nobody knows is to what degree. Personally, I think in the end (when the health community has a good understanding of the virus) this will be worse than the flu but not nearly as much as many were led to believe.

I’m not a doctor nor a scientist so I won’t pretend to know things but I think, as with anything in life, everyone should do what they feel is best for themselves and their family.
tjnel
5/9/2020 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2020 4:16pm
TbonesPop wrote:
The challenge with arguing about this data is we don't accurately know the denominator. Doctors are being pressured to code stuff as Covid related due to...

Do you know if pneumonia hospitalizations are included in the seasonal flu number? Wouldn’t change things much but it might not be quite as apples to apples a comparison as you think. From what I understand the reported numbers of seasonal flu cases annually combine both influenza and pneumonia. Only seen that in one place so not sure if true, but it might be.
kpiper
5/9/2020 4:16pm
mingham97 wrote:
How is the USA even considering holding an SX yet? 2500 people died yesterday because of corona in one day. The USA can go down to...
How is the USA even considering holding an SX yet? 2500 people died yesterday because of corona in one day.

The USA can go down to 1 person unknowingly having the disease, you open up the sports and the country again without a vaccine (that no ones going to take even if one existed) and you are back to square one

Because, "We are Americans"
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
5/9/2020 10:32pm
731chopper wrote:
But wouldn’t the argument be the stay at home/ social distancing stuff greatly affected the current COVID rates? The answer nobody knows is to what degree...
But wouldn’t the argument be the stay at home/ social distancing stuff greatly affected the current COVID rates? The answer nobody knows is to what degree. Personally, I think in the end (when the health community has a good understanding of the virus) this will be worse than the flu but not nearly as much as many were led to believe.

I’m not a doctor nor a scientist so I won’t pretend to know things but I think, as with anything in life, everyone should do what they feel is best for themselves and their family.
Yes, I think it for certain could be said that social distancing and shutting things down helped reduce the amount of hospitalizations - basically, yes the precautions worked as planned. My counter to that point would be that we have vaccines / flu shots for the flu which are designed to minimize the spread of it as well. Had less people gotten the flu shots, it too would have had more hospitalizations. We have a vaccine for the flu, not Covid and yet the flu still has a higher hospitalization rate. Think about that fact.

I think it is important to also make the point again. This discussion is just to compare the data of each illness, not the specifics of the illnesses. Covid 19 is a blood illness that can greatly damage the respiratory system in certain people. The flu is a respiratory illness (typically) that can impact the blood. These two are very different. But I do think it is fair to compare the data regarding how the spread has impacted people/lives.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
5/9/2020 10:36pm
TbonesPop wrote:

tjnel wrote:
Do you know if pneumonia hospitalizations are included in the seasonal flu number? Wouldn’t change things much but it might not be quite as apples to...
Do you know if pneumonia hospitalizations are included in the seasonal flu number? Wouldn’t change things much but it might not be quite as apples to apples a comparison as you think. From what I understand the reported numbers of seasonal flu cases annually combine both influenza and pneumonia. Only seen that in one place so not sure if true, but it might be.
The chart only included the flu according to the chart title, not pneumonia. Its straight from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S6
tjnel
5/10/2020 8:10am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 8:25am
TbonesPop wrote:

tjnel wrote:
Do you know if pneumonia hospitalizations are included in the seasonal flu number? Wouldn’t change things much but it might not be quite as apples to...
TbonesPop wrote:
The chart only included the flu according to the chart title, not pneumonia. Its straight from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S6
Thanks for sharing, you’re right the 69 per 100k hospitalizations for the flu look to be exclusive of pneumonia. I did notice a couple things looking at this data though that it seems worth sharing.

One is that you implied the flu number of 69 per 100k is the number of hospitalizations since December 1. That’s not true, it’s the number of hospitalizations since October 1. You did say start of December is when things start to ramp up, and you’re right that most hospitalizations were after December 1, but from the chart this was already the 2nd worst flu season included in the chart by December 1. The hospitalizations on that date were low, but clearly above 0. Eyeballing, it looks like there were about 5 hospitalizations per 100k by December 1.

Second is that the covid 19 hospitalization rate of 50.3 per 100k is based on hospitalizations since March 1. So you said that the numbers you were citing were hospitalization rates where the covid number trailed the flu number by 4-5 weeks but in reality it is the same data but with the covid number trailing the flu number by 21 weeks (13 weeks if we go by December 1 for the flu numbers, as you did originally).

If you want to start the counting for the flu on the date when there were already about 5 hospitalizations per 100k, then you should do the same for covid 19. That would mean starting the covid 19 timeline the first week of April, per the first CDC link below. So there were 4.2 covid 19 hospitalizations per 100k at the start of April, and at the end of April the hospitalization rate was 50.3 per 100k. That’s an increase of 46.1 per 100k in 5 weeks.

For the flu, if you start on December 1, when there were about 5 hospitalizations per 100k, and look at the increase in hospitalizations in the next 5 weeks, they only reach about 20 per 100k, so an increase of about 15 per 100k over a comparable timeline to the covid number of 46.1. Even if you look at the area of the flu chart where hospitalizations are increasing most rapidly (week 4-week 9) on the chart, the hospitalization rate went from about 38 to about 60 (eyeballing), so an increase in hospitalizations of about 22 per 100k in 5 weeks. That’s still less than half the rate of hospitalizations than covid 19 in the same time span for which the covid data is reported.

The above is likely why the CDC states at the first link below that “Hospitalization rates for COVID-19 in adults (18-64 years) are already higher than hospitalization rates for influenza at comparable time points* during the past 5 influenza seasons.” They also specify the comparable time points comment means “*Number of weeks since 10% of specimens tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 and influenza, respectively.”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/covidnet/COVID19_3.html

bvm111
5/10/2020 8:30am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 2:22pm
You guys are fucked living in the good old USA, $4,000 for a test? I was admitted yesterday to the hospital with a heart issue, no...

I was admitted yesterday to the hospital with a heart issue, no insurance, the did a covid test that I received the results by the time I was released and got home.
Total cost for the day ECG, blood tests, X rays, medication, DC reversion, $ Zero.
BULL SHIT! who is paying 4000 for a test? That is complete and udder BULL SHIT, please provide a source!!!! ALL tests and testing including the testing sites in the state of nevada just like all state's are federally sourced and funded through FEMA and zero cost citizens. I have first hand knowledge of this and a senior member in a leadership position of the organization that integrates with FEMA that provides, PPE to all medical facilities, logistical support to the state department of emergency management, facility management and manning and testing at 6 official testing sites in the state. All states are following the same model and providing the testing to citizens that are showing signs and symptoms of SARS-COV-2 it’s drive through and very simple. We also have a list of over 100 medical providers and facilities that are also providing the testing... FOR FREE!!!!
brocster
5/10/2020 10:03am

bvm111 wrote:
BULL SHIT! who is paying 4000 for a test? That is complete and udder BULL SHIT, please provide a source!!!! ALL tests and testing including the...
BULL SHIT! who is paying 4000 for a test? That is complete and udder BULL SHIT, please provide a source!!!! ALL tests and testing including the testing sites in the state of nevada just like all state's are federally sourced and funded through FEMA and zero cost citizens. I have first hand knowledge of this and a senior member in a leadership position of the organization that integrates with FEMA that provides, PPE to all medical facilities, logistical support to the state department of emergency management, facility management and manning and testing at 6 official testing sites in the state. All states are following the same model and providing the testing to citizens that are showing signs and symptoms of SARS-COV-2 it’s drive through and very simple. We also have a list of over 100 medical providers and facilities that are also providing the testing... FOR FREE!!!!
It’s my co worker and I’ll see if I can get you the specifics. Maybe you can help him out. He quit his regular job to do this internship as if it plays out he’ll end up with a better job with better benefits but at the time being, not so much.

It’s not far fetched that there will be gouging. I am first hand knowledge of our terribly broken and crooked healthcare system. If you dig around on here (Vital) you will find my story. As a matter of fact I am not sure I finished it up.
B Gotti
Fantasy
4205th
5/10/2020 6:11pm
Damn all the rappers turned it Dr.'s now.
5/10/2020 6:40pm
brocster wrote:
We have an intern at work that doesn’t have medical insurance. Got sick last week and was tested for CoVid, came back negative and ended up...
We have an intern at work that doesn’t have medical insurance. Got sick last week and was tested for CoVid, came back negative and ended up being strep throat.

Read this and read it well. Received a bill for the Covid test, swab up the nose. $4000.00. Four fuggin thousand dollars for a swab test.

Read into that FACT what you will...
No income intern qualifies for many Medicaid programs. Interns should be more responsible
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
5/10/2020 6:42pm
brocster wrote:
We have an intern at work that doesn’t have medical insurance. Got sick last week and was tested for CoVid, came back negative and ended up...
We have an intern at work that doesn’t have medical insurance. Got sick last week and was tested for CoVid, came back negative and ended up being strep throat.

Read this and read it well. Received a bill for the Covid test, swab up the nose. $4000.00. Four fuggin thousand dollars for a swab test.

No income intern qualifies for many Medicaid programs. Interns should be more responsible
No matter who is paying, why is it $4,000?!
5/10/2020 9:26pm
brocster wrote:

731chopper wrote:
No matter who is paying, why is it $4,000?!
It's not $4400 If it's paid by the government or insurance. The discount is huge
brocster
5/10/2020 9:33pm
brocster wrote:

Our interns are part time so yeah, it’s on him but therein lies another problem

and regarding you last post there should be no discounts. The cost is the cost period!
5/10/2020 10:27pm
brocster wrote:

brocster wrote:
Our interns are part time so yeah, it’s on him but therein lies another problem and regarding you last post there should be no discounts. The...
Our interns are part time so yeah, it’s on him but therein lies another problem

and regarding you last post there should be no discounts. The cost is the cost period!
There is a big discount. I can pull my last invoice what the insurance paid for my wrist and ankle surgery. My ankle surgery went from $19000 to 1800. My wrist which is weird went from 9 grand to 2100.
Crush
5/11/2020 8:43am
Crush wrote:
Of course we are... but our tax rate isn’t significantly higher or at all more than yours over there, not is our taxible base larger. Unfortunately...

Barrett57 wrote:
Who do you call when your house is on fire?
mx317
5/11/2020 9:02am
Crush wrote:

Barrett57 wrote:
Crush wrote:
Are you comparing the huge healthcare field to the fire department? What about the police department or Department of Transportation? Of course we have some government funded agencies, but most would pale to the money spent in healthcare.
Barrett57
5/11/2020 9:05am
Crush wrote:
Nobody, I don't want the government getting involved in the private matter of me and my property being on fire. The fire service are also blatantly communists, why else would their fire engines be bright red?
HuskyEd
5/11/2020 9:06am
Damn, the Holiday Inn Express has had no shortage of visitors. Smile
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
5/11/2020 9:26am
It's not $4400 If it's paid by the government or insurance. The discount is huge
The government or insurance paying all of a portion still doesn’t justify the price though, does it?

Post a reply to: Did the meetings happen?

The Latest