Did anyone start their kid off on a ktm 50 sx or Jr?

Denn700
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:03pm
My daughter is 6 and all my brothers and sisters and nephews we started on a pw or Suzuki Jr 50 and I was thinking the ktm would be ok but even with the governor in that thing is fast when the powerband kicks in.
|
NeWskoolmxer
11/6/2011 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2011 12:16pm
My dad started my younger brother on a Crf50 at that age, I think it helps in the long run because they have to shift but there is no clutch and there pretty quick little bikes. Bulletproof as well.
stackman17
11/6/2011 12:22pm
I started my son on a Mini Adventure, then to the SX Jr. and now he is on a SX Sr. as well as a KX65. When it is time to shift and clutch, they get it quick. I dont know your intentions, but starting at 6, I would go with the Jr. The Sr. is an advanced bike.
TeamGreen
11/6/2011 1:06pm
stackman17 wrote:
I started my son on a Mini Adventure, then to the SX Jr. and now he is on a SX Sr. as well as a KX65...
I started my son on a Mini Adventure, then to the SX Jr. and now he is on a SX Sr. as well as a KX65. When it is time to shift and clutch, they get it quick. I dont know your intentions, but starting at 6, I would go with the Jr. The Sr. is an advanced bike.
Perfectly stated.

I've kept our Adventure around for "1st ride" needs. It's the perfect bike.
11/6/2011 1:17pm
You can also adjust the shims on the clutch to make it hit less. I started my midget out on a TTR50. After he completely wore (and I mean beat the shit out of it) that thing out we went to a KTM Jr.

The Shop

blair683
11/6/2011 1:20pm
the ktm 50 sx and jr are far from starter bikes! Go with the suzuki jr50 very affordable and reliable for something they will just grow out of.
Dias374
11/6/2011 1:23pm
The CRF 50 is a great starter bike too. I picked one up for my son when he was 2 and at 5 he is really enjoying it. It is also a plus that when he is done with it I can make it into a trick little pit bike for myself. HAHA
11/6/2011 1:26pm
The jump between a JR50, CRF50, PW50, or TTR50 and a KTM or Cobra is huge...Don't even consider it.

I wouldn't consider moving my son or daughter up until they were riding the wheels off their play bike.

Sean @ Cobra
Denn700
11/6/2011 1:44pm
I already bought the Ktm Jr. It has training wheels on it but I rode it down the street and it will wheely when I sit on the back. I need to figure out a way to tame it down. It feels more like the yz60 and kx60's I had as a kid than a pw50.
2smokers
11/6/2011 1:48pm
I started out on a ktm 50 but that was back in the mid 90s.
iudi2006
Fantasy
312th
11/6/2011 2:27pm
2smokers wrote:
I started out on a ktm 50 but that was back in the mid 90s.
Same here, Started off on it. Should be fine especially since the kids has experience on a bike.
EvanR127
11/6/2011 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2011 2:30pm
honda 50z is the best kid bike there is!!!!!!

We have an '92 that went through 3 brothers for around 4 years each and its still kicking great today with nonthing done to the motor except oil changes!
MOTODAD422
11/6/2011 2:41pm
Denn700 wrote:
I already bought the Ktm Jr. It has training wheels on it but I rode it down the street and it will wheely when I sit...
I already bought the Ktm Jr. It has training wheels on it but I rode it down the street and it will wheely when I sit on the back. I need to figure out a way to tame it down. It feels more like the yz60 and kx60's I had as a kid than a pw50.
Park the ktm and get a pw,jr,xr to learn on.
catatonic
11/6/2011 3:00pm
I started my 2 daughters out on mini-adventures.........I actually boughta crf 50 for them also but they liked the Mini adventures better in the beginning. They did better without having to worry about shifting until they got the basics down.
Gilletty
11/7/2011 12:30am
My five year old started on a PW50 then onto the the sx and so on. I think the adventure would be fine to start on. From memory they had an adjuster screw on the throttle, my memory is shit though.
11/7/2011 4:07am
Denn700 wrote:
I already bought the Ktm Jr. It has training wheels on it but I rode it down the street and it will wheely when I sit...
You can adjust the clutch to hit less
BD49
11/7/2011 4:13am
I wouldn't start her out on a KTM Pro Sr or a Pro Jr unless you want to scare the shit out of her and make her afraid of dirt bikes forever. I would look at the PW or CRF 50 and give her a few months on that before putting her on a a race bike. Even a governed down Pro Jr/Sr or Cobra is to much for a child that is just learning to ride.

If you aren't going to be racing, I would get a Mini Adventure (or whatever they call them now.) Without knowing what your plans are, it's hard to give you an honest opinion, but it sounds like you made your mind up anyway with the KTM.

Hope it all works out. Some kids pick it up quickly, but if I were you I would be prepared to listen to a LOT of goosing and you might as well invest in a million clutch washers.

Good luck to your daughter...hope she loves it!
wreckitrandy
11/7/2011 4:59am
Denn700 wrote:
You've already ruined your clutch. Those bikes do way better when dad stays off of 'em.
OldGuy
11/7/2011 5:03am
If U go with the KTM Jr or Sr, You can make the clutch work smoother by installing from springs from a Mini Adventure. Part # 45132005100. Takes 3 at about $3.60 each. My grandson liked them much better until he got older and more experienced.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1522nd
11/7/2011 5:51am
My son started on a CRF50 at 5 or so. Much better option, IMO. One it is a very mellow power band, two it has a throttle limiter, and three they are bulletproof. He rode that for a few years and then within six months went to a CRF70, KTM Pro SR to a KTM65. The experience of shifting on the CRF50 helped him when he went to the 65, since he didn't have the bad habit of looking down to shift. I'd go with a CRF50 depending on height. If that is too tall, then a Jr50 or pw50.
DoctorJD
11/7/2011 7:37am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2011 7:37am
stackman17 wrote:
I started my son on a Mini Adventure, then to the SX Jr. and now he is on a SX Sr. as well as a KX65...
I did the same with my son. Started out on the Mini Adv.
Nice bike, easy to ride, good suspension, easy to de-tune if need be. He went to a King Cobra after that, then an RM65. Don't miss the days of those centrifugal clutches AT ALL.
Hallzilla
11/7/2011 7:47am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2011 7:51am
stackman17 wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
I did the same with my son. Started out on the Mini Adv. Nice bike, easy to ride, good suspension, easy to de-tune if need be...
I did the same with my son. Started out on the Mini Adv.
Nice bike, easy to ride, good suspension, easy to de-tune if need be. He went to a King Cobra after that, then an RM65. Don't miss the days of those centrifugal clutches AT ALL.
waste of money
buy a clutch from the jr model and throw it in the Sr. Way less hit, then when they become more aggressive, swap back to the sr clutch, don't waste your money on the JR. The difference is the Jr clutch is spring loaded and the Sr has screws and shims for the adjustment. Erase the hard 8000 rpm hit with the Jr clutch. Ohh and then you won't have to adjust that Sr. clutch all the time in the beginning !
mark_swart
11/7/2011 8:18am
My daughter had a mini adventure when she was 6. She coudn't ride the crf 50 without training wheels because it was so heavy, it would tip over a lot when she stopped. With the lighter mini adventure, it wasn't a problem. She raced it a few times and rode it for a couple of years with no major issues until she outgrew it. 80 lb weight limit so it's no fun for the grownups like the CRF, haha!
I actually made a little bump to go in the middle of the seat to keep her in the right place. Not exactly the same reason as on a 450 but it worked really well.
mark_swart
11/7/2011 8:20am
And ditto with halzilla on the clutch -- the spring setup is the way to go if you are just getting started. Otherwise you will find yourself cleaning and fine tuning shims every other ride. Some genius had done that to the mini adventure before we got it and it never worked right, once we went back to springs it was trouble free for a beginner.
Hallzilla
OldGuy wrote:
If U go with the KTM Jr or Sr, You can make the clutch work smoother by installing from springs from a Mini Adventure. Part #...
If U go with the KTM Jr or Sr, You can make the clutch work smoother by installing from springs from a Mini Adventure. Part # 45132005100. Takes 3 at about $3.60 each. My grandson liked them much better until he got older and more experienced.
This !
Hallzilla
mark_swart wrote:
And ditto with halzilla on the clutch -- the spring setup is the way to go if you are just getting started. Otherwise you will find...
And ditto with halzilla on the clutch -- the spring setup is the way to go if you are just getting started. Otherwise you will find yourself cleaning and fine tuning shims every other ride. Some genius had done that to the mini adventure before we got it and it never worked right, once we went back to springs it was trouble free for a beginner.
Yep !
Hallzilla
11/7/2011 8:24am
Dias374 wrote:
The CRF 50 is a great starter bike too. I picked one up for my son when he was 2 and at 5 he is really...
The CRF 50 is a great starter bike too. I picked one up for my son when he was 2 and at 5 he is really enjoying it. It is also a plus that when he is done with it I can make it into a trick little pit bike for myself. HAHA
Extremely heavy bike though. for a young kid
Jeff alessi
11/7/2011 8:41am
My dad started my younger brother on a Crf50 at that age, I think it helps in the long run because they have to shift but...
My dad started my younger brother on a Crf50 at that age, I think it helps in the long run because they have to shift but there is no clutch and there pretty quick little bikes. Bulletproof as well.
I lean toward this more for any kids coming into the sport these days at around n age of 4-7. reason why is, these days racing is about 4 strokes n whether or not we like that-it probably won't change due to outstanding performance advantages, with that said it's best to have your little one know fourstrokes for a longer amount of time, I say this because I notice the younger kids that are now coming into pro racing have had a longer time to learn 4 stroke technology threwout amateur racing n it clearly has increased the amount of good riders, imagine how many of Those riders learned 4 strokes as early as being in the 85cc class with the 150, u gotta think that helps in the long run.

The other benefits is a heavier bike should be more stable and should work pretty
Much the same anywhere u take it, and you have an unlimited amount of options to slowly upgrade the bike to your daughters level over time n that can be the safest direction if u only want her to have so much. U can at anytime equip it with a clutch for her to start learning, u could practically turn the thing into a 20 horsepower minarure 250f if ud like, The best part of it all is oneday u will have a trick 50 thats like eyecandy. Hope that helps.
mark_swart
11/7/2011 10:07am
Weight is an issue. Put him on a KTM 50 that's 20 lbs lighter and has better suspension and let him compare... he won't want the Honda back. That being said, don't get me wrong the CRF is a great bike and I have one in my garage to this day as a pit/playbike. But I think the KTM is easier to ride for the little ones.
neyhart98dad
11/7/2011 10:20am
Denn700 wrote:
You've already ruined your clutch. Those bikes do way better when dad stays off of 'em.
100% true,and boy are you in for some fun times with that clutch.
1 yr left on 50's and I'm selling everyone of them.Cant wait
Roscoe33
11/7/2011 10:21am
Denn700 wrote:
MOTODAD422 wrote:
Park the ktm and get a pw,jr,xr to learn on.
do you want them to learn to RACE or RIDE first,

many kids I have seen get scared on a KTM to start and will never "race" they just ride not to crash.

Post a reply to: Did anyone start their kid off on a ktm 50 sx or Jr?

The Latest