Did anyone race LLAQ this weekend at 3 palms?

chewy4063
Track was freakin gnarly with all that rain. Didn’t help that I bought a 450 Friday morning before practice and was the first time I had ever rode one haha.

Definitely saw some sandbagging in the big bike classes. But was awesome to see how fast the super mini classes are. Those kids are nuts.
|
chewy4063
3/4/2019 11:24am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
What class did you ride and how did you do?
450c. Did terrible. Got taken out on the start the first race that made a few DNF. Second moto I tipped it over twice. Definitely have to put some time in on the 450, felt like I was learning how to ride again.

Fun weekend though. I knew I had no shot of qualifying. Just did it for the experience.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/4/2019 11:29am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
chewy4063 wrote:
450c. Did terrible. Got taken out on the start the first race that made a few DNF. Second moto I tipped it over twice. Definitely have...
450c. Did terrible. Got taken out on the start the first race that made a few DNF. Second moto I tipped it over twice. Definitely have to put some time in on the 450, felt like I was learning how to ride again.

Fun weekend though. I knew I had no shot of qualifying. Just did it for the experience.
Haha in probably one of the hardest classes to qualify for and on a new to you bike that I'm sure wasn't set up for you at all. What did you think of the new bike?
chewy4063
3/4/2019 11:39am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
chewy4063 wrote:
450c. Did terrible. Got taken out on the start the first race that made a few DNF. Second moto I tipped it over twice. Definitely have...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Haha in probably one of the hardest classes to qualify for and on a new to you bike that I'm sure wasn't set up for you...
Haha in probably one of the hardest classes to qualify for and on a new to you bike that I'm sure wasn't set up for you at all. What did you think of the new bike?
Haha yeah had the biggest gate of the day. Thought the bike was awesome. Just need to respring the suspension for my weight but it had been revalved by Enzo so it still felt pretty good.

Looking forward to getting it on a dry track so I can push it harder than what I could do this past weekend.

The Shop

3/4/2019 2:29pm
chewy4063 wrote:
Track was freakin gnarly with all that rain. Didn’t help that I bought a 450 Friday morning before practice and was the first time I had...
Track was freakin gnarly with all that rain. Didn’t help that I bought a 450 Friday morning before practice and was the first time I had ever rode one haha.

Definitely saw some sandbagging in the big bike classes. But was awesome to see how fast the super mini classes are. Those kids are nuts.
define sandbagging?

Comes up every year - and never quite understand it.
jacko186
3/4/2019 3:18pm
define sandbagging?

fast dudes racing a class below their potential to qualify easily
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/4/2019 3:24pm
define sandbagging?

jacko186 wrote:
Amazing how much it happens. And nothing gets done about it 75% of the time. Top 3 C guys turning B lap times and no one says a word or does anything about it.
3/4/2019 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 3:30pm
define sandbagging?

jacko186 wrote:
That is cherry picking. Sandbagging in motocross is riding slower than you are capable of so you don’t get moved up to a faster class.
navalseabee
3/4/2019 3:30pm
define sandbagging?

When you see kids from your local stuff that race and do well in A/B lining up in C because they've never tried to go to LL before. Or when they straight up tell you "I should probably be in B but I've never tried to qualify before". The top ten or so kids in the C classes easily posess the skill to be in B. Not complaining just an observation.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/4/2019 3:31pm
define sandbagging?

jacko186 wrote:
That is cherry picking. Sandbagging in motocross is riding slower than you are capable of so you don’t get moved up to a faster class.
I've always heard them referred to as the same thing.
Johnny Depp
3/4/2019 3:35pm
I know it was colder than a Witch's Titty for Texas. It looks like the track rutted up in a good? way.

I'm working on a new hybrid series coming soon in Central TX, qualifying so ride groups by skill rather than CC or Age.

Making Motocross Great Again!
honda341
3/4/2019 3:36pm
define sandbagging?

jacko186 wrote:
This is motocross. Anyone that should be in a higher class due to skill is sandbagging. Your buddy that is having a great day and feeling it is probably sandbagging or so the razzing should state. If you are riding a Loretta's Area Qualifier an a certain skill designation and get top 5, you are probably sandbagging. Most MX tracks don't have cherry trees on the property. But they will always have at least one sandbagger. That's the fun of MX.
Shawn142
3/4/2019 3:39pm
When you see kids from your local stuff that race and do well in A/B lining up in C because they've never tried to go to...
When you see kids from your local stuff that race and do well in A/B lining up in C because they've never tried to go to LL before. Or when they straight up tell you "I should probably be in B but I've never tried to qualify before". The top ten or so kids in the C classes easily posess the skill to be in B. Not complaining just an observation.
That's an easily protestable thing though, especially in the age of electronic scoring and results posted online. If a kid has ever raced the B class locally and there's record of it, a simple protest will get him disqualified. Even back in the 90s when I was racing Loretta's people watched that stuff like a hawk. One guy tried qualifying for the 250C but was later disqualified because he had raced Loretta's before on a 50 10 years earlier.
3/4/2019 3:40pm
When you see kids from your local stuff that race and do well in A/B lining up in C because they've never tried to go to...
Year after year I hear this and I say the same thing.

IF you attend the AM nationals - is obvious.

Each class is exactly where it should be. The C riders at loretta's - truly are C riders (even if they are A level locally)
B class is where it should be
And A is actually a poor representation - as many have moved onwards to PRO - but the top 20 in A are far more seasoned than the top 5 in B.

What has shifted is how terrible the local level is vs the top level. Local tracks (such as adv or murphies in this OP's instance) are terribly easy vs what you encounter at nationals - pro races - etc.

I was at 3p this weekend - track was challenging - but not more so than usual for this level of competition.
What sucks IMHO is how easy the local tracks are. Not fun for me - and not a good separation of talent - aka a local C rider is far closer in lap time to an A rider than at a tough track.

The only way we will have top level pro's that this forum loves to watch - is to have the class structure we have at the nationals - so kids can climb them. The fastest kids around austin who regularly attend the local tracks on big bikes - are barely capable of qualifying in B class for lorettas - and you can look that up this year as the process goes on if you doubt me.
Some of these local fast kids will talk and talk - then not even try to to go as they wont make it.

Due to this shift in local riding level, and challenge level - most of the national kids dont even ride local anymore. Most are attending training places that have challenging conditions and controlled environment where the kids can burn laps and not get chewed out by a local weekend warrior for passing too close while doing laps.

It sucks - I used to like seeing the top kids attend local riding days - it was fun to watch and raised everyone's level because you see the speed - and realize its possible and the excuses you made about the track - were exactly that. Excuses.

rongi#401
3/4/2019 3:42pm
define sandbagging?

jacko186 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Amazing how much it happens. And nothing gets done about it 75% of the time. Top 3 C guys turning B lap times and no one...
Amazing how much it happens. And nothing gets done about it 75% of the time. Top 3 C guys turning B lap times and no one says a word or does anything about it.
I got booted from C in 07 before the regional, pissed me off
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/4/2019 3:45pm
jacko186 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Amazing how much it happens. And nothing gets done about it 75% of the time. Top 3 C guys turning B lap times and no one...
rongi#401 wrote:
I got booted from C in 07 before the regional, pissed me off
In all fairness, you really didn't belong in the C class back then Laughing
chewy4063
3/4/2019 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 4:34pm
Didnt mean to start a sandbagging thread, was just stating the obvious. We all know it happens and little can be done about it.

Anyways, the track layout was not difficult, the weather for ME made it difficult. The ruts never get that big at the local practice days because they just close if there’s any rain. But the kids were still railing the crap out of them, just means I suck more ?
Shawn142
3/4/2019 5:02pm
chewy4063 wrote:
Didnt mean to start a sandbagging thread, was just stating the obvious. We all know it happens and little can be done about it. Anyways, the...
Didnt mean to start a sandbagging thread, was just stating the obvious. We all know it happens and little can be done about it.

Anyways, the track layout was not difficult, the weather for ME made it difficult. The ruts never get that big at the local practice days because they just close if there’s any rain. But the kids were still railing the crap out of them, just means I suck more ?
Well its good to give it a shot man. Loretta's is something worth chasing. I always really enjoyed it even though most of the years I went I sucked.
chewy4063
3/4/2019 5:12pm
chewy4063 wrote:
Didnt mean to start a sandbagging thread, was just stating the obvious. We all know it happens and little can be done about it. Anyways, the...

Shawn142 wrote:
Well its good to give it a shot man. Loretta's is something worth chasing. I always really enjoyed it even though most of the years I...
Well its good to give it a shot man. Loretta's is something worth chasing. I always really enjoyed it even though most of the years I went I sucked.
For sure! Just getting back into riding. So maybe a couple years down the road will be more realistic in the sportsman classes, or maybe not and I’ll just keep enjoying the AQs haha.
wolf918
3/4/2019 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 5:31pm
I know it was colder than a Witch's Titty for Texas. It looks like the track rutted up in a good? way. I'm working on a...
I know it was colder than a Witch's Titty for Texas. It looks like the track rutted up in a good? way.

I'm working on a new hybrid series coming soon in Central TX, qualifying so ride groups by skill rather than CC or Age.

Spoaks motopark?
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
3/4/2019 5:33pm
Year after year I hear this and I say the same thing. IF you attend the AM nationals - is obvious. Each class is exactly where...

Each class is exactly where it should be. The C riders at loretta's - truly are C riders (even if they are A level locally)
And A is actually a poor representation - as many have moved onwards to PRO - but the top 20 in A are far more seasoned than the top 5 in B.

What has shifted is how terrible the local level is vs the top level. Local tracks (such as adv or murphies in this OP's instance) are terribly easy vs what you encounter at nationals - pro races - etc.

I was at 3p this weekend - track was challenging - but not more so than usual for this level of competition.
What sucks IMHO is how easy the local tracks are. Not fun for me - and not a good separation of talent - aka a local C rider is far closer in lap time to an A rider than at a tough track.

The only way we will have top level pro's that this forum loves to watch - is to have the class structure we have at the nationals - so kids can climb them. The fastest kids around austin who regularly attend the local tracks on big bikes - are barely capable of qualifying in B class for lorettas - and you can look that up this year as the process goes on if you doubt me.
Some of these local fast kids will talk and talk - then not even try to to go as they wont make it.

Due to this shift in local riding level, and challenge level - most of the national kids dont even ride local anymore. Most are attending training places that have challenging conditions and controlled environment where the kids can burn laps and not get chewed out by a local weekend warrior for passing too close while doing laps.

It sucks - I used to like seeing the top kids attend local riding days - it was fun to watch and raised everyone's level because you see the speed - and realize its possible and the excuses you made about the track - were exactly that. Excuses.

Maybe but are all the training facilities causing the decline of local mx? All the fast guys go to the facilities, now local A class has 3-5 riders, those 3-5 get tired of racing each other so even they stop showing up. My opinion MX Sports need to find a way to get these guys that only race the big AM events to the local races. With no local support, the grassroots is going to (already pretty much is) dry up and die.
wolf918
3/4/2019 5:42pm
Year after year I hear this and I say the same thing. IF you attend the AM nationals - is obvious. Each class is exactly where...

yak651 wrote:
Maybe but are all the training facilities causing the decline of local mx? All the fast guys go to the facilities, now local A class has...
Maybe but are all the training facilities causing the decline of local mx? All the fast guys go to the facilities, now local A class has 3-5 riders, those 3-5 get tired of racing each other so even they stop showing up. My opinion MX Sports need to find a way to get these guys that only race the big AM events to the local races. With no local support, the grassroots is going to (already pretty much is) dry up and die.
What about the manufacturers. What if they kick down more contingency money to these guys for racing all amateur races? Maybe they won’t focus so much on just the big races?
chewy4063
3/4/2019 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 6:00pm

yak651 wrote:
Maybe but are all the training facilities causing the decline of local mx? All the fast guys go to the facilities, now local A class has...
wolf918 wrote:
What about the manufacturers. What if they kick down more contingency money to these guys for racing all amateur races? Maybe they won’t focus so much...
What about the manufacturers. What if they kick down more contingency money to these guys for racing all amateur races? Maybe they won’t focus so much on just the big races?
Because big companies won’t pay to have them racing nobodies. They go to the big races because all the fast kids from around the country will be there. I don’t blame them. What kid wants to go to a local race when they know they already won? Rather be at a facility where they are being pushed everyday.
AJ565
3/4/2019 6:22pm
I know it was colder than a Witch's Titty for Texas. It looks like the track rutted up in a good? way. I'm working on a...

wolf918 wrote:
Spoaks motopark?
Most likely. I know John rides there quite a bit and he’s been working with them on layout changes and a start section.
Johnny Depp
3/4/2019 6:33pm

wolf918 wrote:
Spoaks motopark?
And more, a work in progress, shooting for this Spring.
chewy4063
3/4/2019 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 6:42pm

wolf918 wrote:
Spoaks motopark?
Don’t know why I haven’t heard of Spoakes but just looked it up. Will be going there soon for sure.

Ever open on weekdays or just weekends?
Johnny Depp
3/4/2019 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 6:57pm
This week Spoaks should have the new 120' jump. One guy claims he already hit it before it was filled in, but no one believes him Laughing You can call for weekday rides.

The 1st time series may have 2 other tracks that have never had a race before, and a couple of of places recognizable to MX fans, and a couple recognizable to Off Roader's. Wish me luck, retired from the car business and pursuing my bucket list now.

This sport is funny, online we all have an alias name, and when we get to the track sometime we don't even realize the person we talk with online and FB is there too. Planning on using stick on nameplates to try and increase the social interaction.
AJ565
3/4/2019 6:49pm
wolf918 wrote:
Spoaks motopark?
chewy4063 wrote:
Don’t know why I haven’t heard of Spoakes but just looked it up. Will be going there soon for sure. Ever open on weekdays or just...
Don’t know why I haven’t heard of Spoakes but just looked it up. Will be going there soon for sure.

Follow them on Facebook and he posts when they open. It’s not a bad track and gives another option to ride in the area. I’ll keep an eye out when I’m out riding and stop by and say hi if I see you.
chewy4063
3/4/2019 6:55pm
chewy4063 wrote:
Don’t know why I haven’t heard of Spoakes but just looked it up. Will be going there soon for sure. Ever open on weekdays or just...

AJ565 wrote:
Follow them on Facebook and he posts when they open. It’s not a bad track and gives another option to ride in the area. I’ll keep...
Follow them on Facebook and he posts when they open. It’s not a bad track and gives another option to ride in the area. I’ll keep an eye out when I’m out riding and stop by and say hi if I see you.
Don’t have Facebook but think I can still see when they post dates. Stop by for sure!

But ya more track variety the better
Viper MX
3/4/2019 7:06pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
chewy4063 wrote:

That track is about 10 min from my place. Sucks to hear about the cherrypicking but I guess in this day and age it is what it is. I was hoping there would be more control over the sandbagger entries. I'm just starting racing again and I'll be in the 450C with my 350 next year so i'll either do good and move up to B or not. Doubt I'll be top 7 or whatever it is for Loretta's, but it's still better then sitting on the couch. Good on you for giving it a go.

Post a reply to: Did anyone race LLAQ this weekend at 3 palms?

The Latest