Did a Limited Works Edition Help Honda Get it's Mojo Back?

Johnny Depp
KTM's use of the Factory Edition Models is well documented in their rise in Competition.

Now that Ken Roczen has an Overall Win in the Premier Class did the Homologation rules play a part in Honda getting back to the top of the Podium for the 1st time in how long?
|
5/19/2019 6:58am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2019 6:59am
What about the WE bikes could give Roczen any advantage that he wouldn't of already had otherwise?? There's a reason that KTM's FE bikes are 2019.5 and not regular 2019s.. DeCoster first convinced KTM to do the FE bikes because he wanted next years tech to help his riders win now... is Honda using the same strategy? I was under the impression it was just a common man's CRF with kashima forks and other trick parts, which Kenny clearly already has access to..
5/19/2019 7:01am
I think all the rules-required OEM parts of a Honda 20WE are the same as a standard '19.
H4L
5/19/2019 7:12am
It appears Honda is mostly doing it for the consumer. It's an upgraded model like Chevy has the standard Camaro & a Z-28.

The Shop

crowe176
5/19/2019 7:18am
They sure are pretty. How much are they again?
BR8ES
5/19/2019 7:22am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2019 7:23am
H4L wrote:
It appears Honda is mostly doing it for the consumer. It's an upgraded model like Chevy has the standard Camaro & a Z-28.
Exactly and a good move for Honda, bike sold out quickly.
H4L
5/19/2019 7:23am
crowe176 wrote:
They sure are pretty. How much are they again?
$11,999
ob
5/19/2019 1:47pm
Ktm huskys have next years stuff, Honda’s don’t. The Honda’s are cool though, but you can only polish a turd so much lol ?
kiwifan
5/19/2019 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2019 1:51pm
H4L wrote:
Exactly, the bits you get on the WE are to a lesser degree to what the HRC boys get, but are bloody good for the consumer
reded
5/19/2019 1:53pm
ob wrote:
Ktm huskys have next years stuff, Honda’s don’t. The Honda’s are cool though, but you can only polish a turd so much lol ?
Next years stuff in 2019 doesn’t mean as much as it did in 1984. The difference nowadays is negligible compared to all new models arriving every year back then.
Johnny Depp
5/19/2019 2:15pm
Hand ported Head and Factory ECUWoohoo with a mud map might have been a factor yesterday. I understand that things can be bolted on and much can be modified. Isn't Roczen running KYB's anyway?

I don't think the KTM having next years upgrades is such a big thing, the point is they get to race with better stuff now, the same as the Works Edition. It is the progression and refinement that matters.

How long since Honda had a Major Win anyway?

If Roger is a God because they do the FE thing, it's kind of hard not to acknowledge Honda breaking a drought by doing essentially the same thing?
ob
5/19/2019 2:34pm
ob wrote:
reded wrote:
Next years stuff in 2019 doesn’t mean as much as it did in 1984. The difference nowadays is negligible compared to all new models arriving every...
Next years stuff in 2019 doesn’t mean as much as it did in 1984. The difference nowadays is negligible compared to all new models arriving every year back then.
Well you are talking before my time. But it is cool every three years when you can be in the new KTM frame before everybody else. I remember the year I bought a factory edition just so I could get the new fork. Sweet ass 4cs! That was a good move on my part☹️
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
5/19/2019 5:05pm
ob wrote:
reded wrote:
Next years stuff in 2019 doesn’t mean as much as it did in 1984. The difference nowadays is negligible compared to all new models arriving every...
It was very advantageous for KTM when they first started doing it because they had so much room for improvement.

I’d be surprised if we see another KTM Factory Edition bike as revolutionary as the 2015.5 was.
reded
5/19/2019 5:31pm
I get your point but they were in no way as revolutionary as the what you would see out of Honda every year during the 80’s.
Eddieg15
5/19/2019 5:55pm
If that’s what you want. Buy it. I will keep buying the fe
Forty
5/19/2019 6:06pm
KTM's use of the Factory Edition Models is well documented in their rise in Competition. Now that Ken Roczen has an Overall Win in the Premier...
KTM's use of the Factory Edition Models is well documented in their rise in Competition.

Now that Ken Roczen has an Overall Win in the Premier Class did the Homologation rules play a part in Honda getting back to the top of the Podium for the 1st time in how long?
no
kiwifan
5/19/2019 6:22pm
ob wrote:
yeah so why buy one if it has next years stuff and next years bike is cheaper ?
mx317
5/19/2019 6:30pm
ob wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
Because you can get it early! It also has some things that are not on the standard model.
5/19/2019 6:35pm
Hand ported Head and Factory ECU:woohoo: with a mud map might have been a factor yesterday. I understand that things can be bolted on and much...
Hand ported Head and Factory ECUWoohoo with a mud map might have been a factor yesterday. I understand that things can be bolted on and much can be modified. Isn't Roczen running KYB's anyway?

I don't think the KTM having next years upgrades is such a big thing, the point is they get to race with better stuff now, the same as the Works Edition. It is the progression and refinement that matters.

If Roger is a God because they do the FE thing, it's kind of hard not to acknowledge Honda breaking a drought by doing essentially the same thing?
The only thing shared by a CRF450R-WE and Ken Roczen's Honda US CRF450RR race bike is the #94 on the plates. They are a long way past using that head and mapping.
ob
5/19/2019 7:15pm
ob wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
mx317 wrote:
Because you can get it early! It also has some things that are not on the standard model.
Exactly
H4L
5/19/2019 8:23pm
Hand ported Head and Factory ECU:woohoo: with a mud map might have been a factor yesterday. I understand that things can be bolted on and much...

KR is running Showas.
H4L
5/19/2019 8:28pm

The only thing shared by a CRF450R-WE and Ken Roczen's Honda US CRF450RR race bike is the #94 on the plates. They are a long way...
The only thing shared by a CRF450R-WE and Ken Roczen's Honda US CRF450RR race bike is the #94 on the plates. They are a long way past using that head and mapping.
I believe the chassis is the only thing the WE model shares with KR94 HRC bike.

Post a reply to: Did a Limited Works Edition Help Honda Get it's Mojo Back?

The Latest