Did Someone Win Hotlanta? Was He Fast?

bayodome
Fantasy
4151st
3/2/2020 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2020 5:27am
I didn't notice, because NBC only showed the racing from 2nd place and back. They followed Roczen for maybe one minute total, if that.

Roczen finished nearly 15 seconds ahead, which means he must've been doing something or some section really well, but I wouldn't know because they never showed him.

From a TV coverage standpoint, how is NBC's method (only following the battles) at all beneficial to the teams or sponsors with a rider who absolutely dominates like Ken did in Atlanta?

If I ran a team, I would make sure my rider always ended up in the LCQ. By far the best bang for your buck. The top four in the LCQ almost always receive more screen time than Roczen and Team Honda did on Saturday for dominating the best SX racers in the world.
|
stremme12
Fantasy
3622nd
3/2/2020 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2020 2:54pm
I'd imagine it's because the racing was 15 seconds behind Roczen and boy was it some good racing!

I'm guessing Honda is having a talk with Roczen this week to slow it down so he can get on TV.
3/2/2020 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2020 3:07pm
Can't please everybody... they covered the action, which is what they should be doing. They caught the current points leader crashing into Baggett and making a comeback to 4th, it was a hell of a ride and worth covering.

I think a lot more people would've been pissed about missing everything that happened just to watch Roczen ride his own race up front. I'm sure Honda was really upset about having their bike on the top of the leaderboards fifteen seconds up on second place, lol
Chance1216
3/2/2020 3:14pm
Can't please everybody... they covered the action, which is what they should be doing. They caught the current points leader crashing into Baggett and making a...
Can't please everybody... they covered the action, which is what they should be doing. They caught the current points leader crashing into Baggett and making a comeback to 4th, it was a hell of a ride and worth covering.

I think a lot more people would've been pissed about missing everything that happened just to watch Roczen ride his own race up front. I'm sure Honda was really upset about having their bike on the top of the leaderboards fifteen seconds up on second place, lol
Split screen.
3/2/2020 3:15pm
Coverage was perfect.... Would have been boring to stay on Roczen much..... (i'm a fan of KR).... There was so much action going on...and frankly, I'm amazed at what they did catch. Well done NBC!

What they did catch...was Tomac with a monkey on his back....

The Shop

500 Mike
3/2/2020 3:17pm
Yeah but at least show Roczen on the last lap like previous races. If you were watching, and new to the sport, (as everyone likes to say) you really wouldn’t know who won.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3776th
3/2/2020 3:24pm
I think showing the points leader potentially malfunction or put in a historic ride was top priority for the producers rather than showing Kenny. Just saying.
stremme12
Fantasy
3622nd
3/2/2020 3:32pm
500 Mike wrote:
Yeah but at least show Roczen on the last lap like previous races. If you were watching, and new to the sport, (as everyone likes to...
Yeah but at least show Roczen on the last lap like previous races. If you were watching, and new to the sport, (as everyone likes to say) you really wouldn’t know who won.
They have a position chart on the screen just about the entire race and a podium ceremony after.
yz133rider
3/2/2020 4:48pm
500 Mike wrote:
Yeah but at least show Roczen on the last lap like previous races. If you were watching, and new to the sport, (as everyone likes to...
stremme12 wrote:
They have a position chart on the screen just about the entire race and a podium ceremony after.
If you pulled away from the last lap battles to show roczen cruising around that would have been a mistake. Those battles were insane.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2876th
3/2/2020 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2020 4:57pm
Staying on Tomac was the right move, but it seems like they could have cut to Roczen every once in awhile just for a turn or two.

Also would be nice if they could wait until at least all qualifiers (top 9) cross the finish line in the heat races before breaking for commercial.
motomike137
3/2/2020 6:26pm
bayodome wrote:
I didn't notice, because NBC only showed the racing from 2nd place and back. They followed Roczen for maybe one minute total, if that. Roczen finished...
I didn't notice, because NBC only showed the racing from 2nd place and back. They followed Roczen for maybe one minute total, if that.

Roczen finished nearly 15 seconds ahead, which means he must've been doing something or some section really well, but I wouldn't know because they never showed him.

From a TV coverage standpoint, how is NBC's method (only following the battles) at all beneficial to the teams or sponsors with a rider who absolutely dominates like Ken did in Atlanta?

If I ran a team, I would make sure my rider always ended up in the LCQ. By far the best bang for your buck. The top four in the LCQ almost always receive more screen time than Roczen and Team Honda did on Saturday for dominating the best SX racers in the world.
I agree with you that they should have at least cut to Kenny a few times. I've never understood it.
3/2/2020 6:38pm
Fml i bought a ktm on monday because i thought they won the race only to find out its the 3rd worst bike.
3/2/2020 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2020 6:57pm
bayodome wrote:
I didn't notice, because NBC only showed the racing from 2nd place and back. They followed Roczen for maybe one minute total, if that. Roczen finished...

This fucking guy.

"If I ran a team, I would make sure my rider always ended up in the LCQ" (insert slow clap here)

Hey, Bobby Regan Jr... newsflash - you don't own a team. You aren't financially influenced by who is or is not on TV. So how about pouring the rest of your Mountain Dew on your keyboard to stop you next week from being "that guy" who has to find SOMETHING to bitch about after the most action packed main event of the year.

via GIPHY

GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
3/2/2020 7:12pm
bayodome wrote:

In this case I'm okay with them not showing him. I love watching him ride, but nearly everything that everyone has talked about over the last couple of days happened behind him.
kage173
3/2/2020 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2020 7:17pm
Hats off to the production team for realizing how exciting it would be to follow Tomac and Webb through the pack. It's great that they realize something that the OP doesnt; which is that we want to watch racing. Great job crew!
3/2/2020 11:09pm
kage173 wrote:
Hats off to the production team for realizing how exciting it would be to follow Tomac and Webb through the pack. It's great that they realize...
Hats off to the production team for realizing how exciting it would be to follow Tomac and Webb through the pack. It's great that they realize something that the OP doesnt; which is that we want to watch racing. Great job crew!
Damn straight.... perfect broadcast on Sat.
3/3/2020 12:20am
I didn't really see anything spectacular with Tomac.
Most positions were given to him. He couldn't pass injured Webb and both got dropped by Barcia and Anderson till he crashed. Think he only gained 2 sec on Roczen too.
3/3/2020 1:01am
Holtslayer wrote:
I didn't really see anything spectacular with Tomac. Most positions were given to him. He couldn't pass injured Webb and both got dropped by Barcia and...
I didn't really see anything spectacular with Tomac.
Most positions were given to him. He couldn't pass injured Webb and both got dropped by Barcia and Anderson till he crashed. Think he only gained 2 sec on Roczen too.
Gaining 2 seconds on the leader coming through that field isnt spectacular?
downard254
3/3/2020 3:23am
How many times have we seen the leader out front by a mile with the cameras watching him and hearing the crowd screaming because of some great action on the track that we missed. There was some great action going on while Ken was out front. I for one am glad I didn’t miss the action.
3/3/2020 5:05am
Can you imagine if Nascar showed the leader of the race on the first lap and then never again? We wonder why our sport isn't main stream, imagine tuning to your first ever supercross and they are interviewing KR94 as the winner. Who is Ken Roczen and why are they interviewing him like he won?
tingo
3/3/2020 5:27am
526 wrote:
Can you imagine if Nascar showed the leader of the race on the first lap and then never again? We wonder why our sport isn't main...
Can you imagine if Nascar showed the leader of the race on the first lap and then never again? We wonder why our sport isn't main stream, imagine tuning to your first ever supercross and they are interviewing KR94 as the winner. Who is Ken Roczen and why are they interviewing him like he won?
You pretty much said it yourself: if you'd rather watch Ken clicking off laps by himself than the battles raging behind, NASCAR is for you.
3/3/2020 6:34am
526 wrote:
Can you imagine if Nascar showed the leader of the race on the first lap and then never again? We wonder why our sport isn't main...
tingo wrote:
You pretty much said it yourself: if you'd rather watch Ken clicking off laps by himself than the battles raging behind, NASCAR is for you.
So you think it's ok that KR94 win wasn't televised AT ALL? No where did I say I wanted to watch Ken click off laps but e was not shown at all take off your blinders pal 2 min of KR isn't going to ruin your night, they have PNP no way to utilize that resource?
Falcon
Fantasy
843rd
3/3/2020 11:47am
This must be the television crew after each race with all the whining fans do.... [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/Jzzj52uesp6WA/200.gif[/img]
This must be the television crew after each race with all the whining fans do....

I just snorted with laughter. Like a Bowsss.
downard254
3/3/2020 3:31pm
526 wrote:
tingo wrote:
526 wrote:
So you think it's ok that KR94 win wasn't televised AT ALL? No where did I say I wanted to watch Ken click off laps but...
So you think it's ok that KR94 win wasn't televised AT ALL? No where did I say I wanted to watch Ken click off laps but e was not shown at all take off your blinders pal 2 min of KR isn't going to ruin your night, they have PNP no way to utilize that resource?
Pretty sure I saw Ken and almost all of his sponsors on the podium interview. When they show him riding around on the track, I can’t make out a single sponsors name. I know he’s riding a Honda because it’s red. If I was oblivious to motorcycling, the color wouldn’t matter and I’d need to see some HUGE lettering on the bike that somehow spelled out Honda. From 150’ away on camera, I wouldn’t have a clue who sponsored him. Now, standing on the podium holding a Red Bull can with a pair of goggles around his neck, I can see who sponsors him. That was plain as day during his interview.

Post a reply to: Did Someone Win Hotlanta? Was He Fast?

The Latest