Did Ricky Carmichael ruin professional dirt bike racing?

BBarnes720
Edited Date/Time 2/16/2013 11:50am
I have heard numerous times lately that Ricky Carmichael has changed the way his competition trained.

Has his training caused almost every competitor since then to change their training routine and eliminate the "Fun"?

2 top 10 riders stated this in the last week. What is your opinion?
|
fader418
2/14/2013 5:56pm
Everyone is on PED's now....Blink
Matt Wozney
2/14/2013 5:56pm
I believe in the Villopoto CBS feature, even Ryan says that he "ruined motocross racing", meaning RC stepped the bar that much higher over everyone and completely change the sport. You rewind 20 or even 15 years ago, it was a very different time. Name me one training facility from that time period.
SlingShot
2/14/2013 5:59pm
RC made everyone step up. That's ruining the sport?
Really?
Maybe the competition should all go to Home Depot and apply for a job and quit fucking crying.

The Shop

BBarnes720
2/14/2013 6:00pm
I believe in the Villopoto CBS feature, even Ryan says that he "ruined motocross racing", meaning RC stepped the bar that much higher over everyone and...
I believe in the Villopoto CBS feature, even Ryan says that he "ruined motocross racing", meaning RC stepped the bar that much higher over everyone and completely change the sport. You rewind 20 or even 15 years ago, it was a very different time. Name me one training facility from that time period.
Thanks. I have herd 2 different top 10 pros quote this in the last week so I think it is a legitimate question.
Matt Wozney
2/14/2013 6:03pm
I believe in the Villopoto CBS feature, even Ryan says that he "ruined motocross racing", meaning RC stepped the bar that much higher over everyone and...
BBarnes720 wrote:
Thanks. I have herd 2 different top 10 pros quote this in the last week so I think it is a legitimate question.
Just wanted to clarify that he didn't intentionally destroy MX....just stepped it up a hell of lot more. In the CBS feature, you can see RV isn't a huge fan of training so he brought that up as taking the fun out of it. But like I said, we are in a different time.
ocscottie
2/14/2013 6:05pm
"Name me one training facility from that time period"

Lake Havasu Laughing
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
2/14/2013 6:05pm
My job isn't very fun either Sad
ga_pike
2/14/2013 6:08pm
Gary Bailey MX School? If you went to one of the more intense, smaller sessions, it was a full on training session from riding, to lifting, to running... How about what Ronnie Lusk was doing with Ezra, Matt Walker, and others? If you watch Ricky Johnson's video, there was a big portion of him on his road bike training. Same with Broc Glover. And I'd bet good money that nobody today on a bike could hold a candle to the weights that Jeff Ward used to lift. Wardy was a beast! There was training and "facilities" back then, just not to the extent that as many people could make $$$ at it like they do today.
Brtp4
2/14/2013 6:08pm
ocscottie wrote:

Lake Havasu Laughing
Well done.

BP
SwapperMX
2/14/2013 6:11pm
The level of professionalism definitely increased with Ricky's attitude and training techniques, but I dont consider that ruining the sport.
jeffro503
2/14/2013 6:11pm
Now if we could only convince the older generation that this sport is nothing like the way it was 30+yrs ago.....we might actually get some credit for the fast guys today. I saw it change dramatically in the early 80's , a little more in the 90's.....and a lot in the later 90's to mid 2000...training went to a whole new level. Jonny O , Ward , Stanton , ect trained their asses off......but the evolution of sports training has hit an all time high....producing even better athletes.

With RC.....he had the "drive" that not many other humans possess ....not just in MX.....but in anything.
TeamGreen
2/14/2013 6:14pm
Rule No. 1: NO POSTING WHILE YOU ARE DRUNK!
TX24
2/14/2013 6:14pm
Thanks Jeffro.
Hut
2/14/2013 6:22pm
Nowadays a guy can't even eat a delicious burrito without it being a big deal.
Foo723
2/14/2013 6:31pm
bob hannah use to run 10 miles a day, barnett use to run practice sessions until he ran out of gas.

training facilities back then:

suzuki school of mx (a few vital members posted their diplomas on here recently)
rolf tibblin had a training facility at one time, dont know where it was at
gary bailey had a permanent facility at lake suger tree in axton, va, my pop considered sending me there once
if my vague memory serves me correct, yamaha ran some type of school back in '78
AS64
Fantasy
2175th
2/14/2013 6:34pm
Some guys really do go nuts on Valentines Day..
ocscottie
2/14/2013 6:34pm
ocscottie wrote:

Lake Havasu Laughing
Brtp4 wrote:
Well done.

BP
That was the 1st thing that popped in my mind after reading the last sentence. The 90's were a great time Cool
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
2/14/2013 6:40pm
I think the bikes have changed it more than training. RC has talked about having to strengthen up for the for stroke.
kongols
2/14/2013 7:01pm
Ricky ruined it for everybody. No one will ever come close to what he`s achieved and yet everyone will be compered to him.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/14/2013 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2013 7:12pm
BBarnes720 wrote:
I have heard numerous times lately that Ricky Carmichael has changed the way his competition trained. Has his training caused almost every competitor since then to...
I have heard numerous times lately that Ricky Carmichael has changed the way his competition trained.

Has his training caused almost every competitor since then to change their training routine and eliminate the "Fun"?

My opinion is that you are a moron.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
2/14/2013 7:13pm
tell Barnett, O'mara, Bailey Hannah RJ Stanten, or Bradshaw that.

I would say that McGrath ruined the sport by giving everyone the false belief that you could win without training. guys like Kied, Larocco, Lamson and Henry were all relentless trainer and dominated the outdoors during that period.
Motodave15
2/14/2013 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2013 7:22pm
BBarnes720 wrote:
I have heard numerous times lately that Ricky Carmichael has changed the way his competition trained. Has his training caused almost every competitor since then to...

I personally think he did...

Id much rather see the riders gassed out of there mind on the podium.. like a normal weekend warrior..(even rocking a beer belly or something lol)... it would be more relatable than them not even sweating or breathing hard on the podium
ShockedShocked
wwoberg
2/14/2013 7:20pm
Its a much deeper topic than you would think.

Times are much different.
Training and physical conditioning are something that people get college degrees and have jobs specializing in.
The "intensity" or "extreme" or "dedication" or "commitment" are all time high levels. In every sport. Hell, the average kid stresses out making the regular middle school soccer, baseball, wrestling, etc....team

Has our sport become so "intense" that it drives people away, essentially killing the sport? I agree, yes. When someone like Kdub says he can't do it any more, out of fear, how can anyone, maybe except 10 people in the world, not say the same thing. Especially when all the local tracks are becoming more and more like supercross.

If I had the money, and time, I would have a track and do things much differently...........

entering dream world

No jumps. long, rutted, rough track. 30 minute motos. rain or shine. no prep. run what you brung. 5 classes. (minis, beg, nov, int, pro or minis, D, C, B, A, depending on which coast you are on). $20 to get in and race, do it on sat and sun. camp for free. free showers, camp fires, maybe a little store with essentials and beer on-site. Volunteers and mom and dads helping and taking accountability and ownership.

nevermind, just a dream
JJO741
Fantasy
3037th
2/14/2013 7:35pm
OP, I feel you are getting flamed so badly because the title of this thread was a very poor choice of words. If you asked if he took the "fun" out of the sport, that would be much better.

To answer that question, I feel it depends on the rider. Some guys love busting their ass training, others do not. He definitely changed the way people prepare for racing thats for sure.
rmpilot
2/14/2013 7:36pm
wwoberg wrote:
Its a much deeper topic than you would think. Times are much different. Training and physical conditioning are something that people get college degrees and have...
Its a much deeper topic than you would think.

Times are much different.
Training and physical conditioning are something that people get college degrees and have jobs specializing in.
The "intensity" or "extreme" or "dedication" or "commitment" are all time high levels. In every sport. Hell, the average kid stresses out making the regular middle school soccer, baseball, wrestling, etc....team

Has our sport become so "intense" that it drives people away, essentially killing the sport? I agree, yes. When someone like Kdub says he can't do it any more, out of fear, how can anyone, maybe except 10 people in the world, not say the same thing. Especially when all the local tracks are becoming more and more like supercross.

If I had the money, and time, I would have a track and do things much differently...........

entering dream world

No jumps. long, rutted, rough track. 30 minute motos. rain or shine. no prep. run what you brung. 5 classes. (minis, beg, nov, int, pro or minis, D, C, B, A, depending on which coast you are on). $20 to get in and race, do it on sat and sun. camp for free. free showers, camp fires, maybe a little store with essentials and beer on-site. Volunteers and mom and dads helping and taking accountability and ownership.

nevermind, just a dream
i beg to differ, ive been around high school sports again this year and i have been amazed. the drive is generally down. there are a few that really want it but in general you say one thing to a kid or push him he will quit. the physical shape muscle IS better for most atheletes but the kids that arent at the top are not pushing themselves to get better.
pdub187
Fantasy
2544th
2/14/2013 7:40pm
It's a professional sport. The guys are being paid big bucks to be professional athletes. I don't see why they wouldn't be expected to prepare like athletes in any other sport.
rmpilot
2/14/2013 7:41pm
pdub187 wrote:
It's a professional sport. The guys are being paid big bucks to be professional athletes. I don't see why they wouldn't be expected to prepare like...
It's a professional sport. The guys are being paid big bucks to be professional athletes. I don't see why they wouldn't be expected to prepare like athletes in any other sport.
its a job not a pastime.
zehn
2/14/2013 8:06pm
Foo723 wrote:
bob hannah use to run 10 miles a day, barnett use to run practice sessions until he ran out of gas. training facilities back then: suzuki...
bob hannah use to run 10 miles a day, barnett use to run practice sessions until he ran out of gas.

training facilities back then:

suzuki school of mx (a few vital members posted their diplomas on here recently)
rolf tibblin had a training facility at one time, dont know where it was at
gary bailey had a permanent facility at lake suger tree in axton, va, my pop considered sending me there once
if my vague memory serves me correct, yamaha ran some type of school back in '78
Ha, my dad has one of those Suzuki diplomas dated 1980, except he started racing the SoCal scene in 1967 Cool

He also has a couple from the BMW/AHRMA school they ran at Daytona, among others.

Post a reply to: Did Ricky Carmichael ruin professional dirt bike racing?

The Latest