Did James break the same bone that ended RJ career?

Ozy
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:13am
I'm pretty sure this is the same injury RJ got when he was landed on in Florida

copied from http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp04013.htm
What is the scaphoid bone or navicular bone?
The scaphoid and navicular are two names for the same bone. This small bone is entirely within the wrist joint. (The navicular is now used almost exclusively to describe a bone in the foot).

|
MX-Files
1/30/2010 10:05am
Ozzy,

I think Rick broke more than bones, whole bunch of tendons, ligaments, etc. In addition to bones). His hand was folded over backwards on the top of his forearm like a door hinge. The way he described it to us. Sounded ugly.
bvm111
1/30/2010 10:07am
Yes that is the same bone the ended RJ's career ... scaphoid is the same as a navicular, I believe one is Latin and the other Greek. it is the small bean shaped bone behind the thumb, it is the most commonly broken bone in the human body and one of the hardest to heal due to its poor blood supply... I’m not really this smart, I broke mine really bad in 2001 and did all the research it.... I hope all the best for James but this one is harder to come back from than most any other broken bone, femur included!
calimxer91
1/30/2010 10:13am
Broke mine and it was a six month ordeal.Almost no bloodflow to that one and very painful.
88sdad
1/30/2010 10:13am
My son broke his scaphoid, the Dr said he should stop racing, and chances were high he would develope carpal tunnel in 10-15 years. It's a very slow growing bone so he had to wear the cast for 8 weeks and the Doc made him wear a full cast the whole time.

The Shop

denny360
1/30/2010 10:18am
I broke mine in '90 and when I finally had surgery on it 18 months later, they fused it w bone from my hip and then I was in a cast for 6 months. Luckily the bone didnt die. It can be a career killer but nowadays they know exactly how to fix it.

Ryno and RV have both broken there's and got them pinned I believe. RV's became such swiss cheese from various pins and it not healing, that they actually took a piece of the the navicular out a couple years back or so.
lumpy790
1/30/2010 10:19am
I have heard of them doing surgery and attaching a bllod vesal to it so it can heal and also of them cutting a small piece from another bone and shaping it to replacing the origional.
Wandell
1/30/2010 10:41am
Man, that's bad. I'm not a JS fan but I hope he recovers from this.
donMX14
1/30/2010 10:44am
i shattered my navicular bone in my foot last april. its a bit worse than the wrist due to being a weight bearing bone. it has to be the worse bone to break. i still limp. it still hurts, i cant run, i cant ride yet and doc said it will be chronic pain the rest of my life. i'd take another blown out knee anyday over a broken navicular in my foot.
Knobbyjake
1/30/2010 12:18pm
Did the navicular in my left wrist in the late '70s. Must have gotten lucky or had a good doc because I have no problems with it.
nobhead
1/30/2010 12:26pm
When I broke mine, my doc said it is the most common bone to break in any fall. It connect to the thumb. It will be fine.
Ddavis
1/30/2010 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2010 12:44pm
I got a spaphoid fracture in my wrist, NEVER got it xray'd. figured id just let it heal, it never did. it bothers me everyday, its only affected my riding when i was trying to blitz whoops on the arenacross track. i think its the same injury as james, if so, james is tough for riding on it THAT night.
every once in while i crack my thumb and it takes the pain away temporarily.
is it possible to fix it? i broke it december 08, can i get it fixed or is it to late?
denny360
1/30/2010 1:57pm
Ddavis wrote:
I got a spaphoid fracture in my wrist, NEVER got it xray'd. figured id just let it heal, it never did. it bothers me everyday, its...
I got a spaphoid fracture in my wrist, NEVER got it xray'd. figured id just let it heal, it never did. it bothers me everyday, its only affected my riding when i was trying to blitz whoops on the arenacross track. i think its the same injury as james, if so, james is tough for riding on it THAT night.
is it possible to fix it? i broke it december 08, can i get it fixed or is it to late?
It depends on whether or not the bone has died. If it hasnt, you should still be able to get it fixed.
sharkey
1/30/2010 2:16pm
so does this bone just die from poor blood circulation
denny360
1/30/2010 2:27pm
sharkey wrote:
so does this bone just die from poor blood circulation
Yeah thats normally the case and what I was told on mine. I have no idea what this means. LOL

It can be slow to heal because of the limited circulation to the bone. It receives its blood supply primarily from radial artery, lateral and distal branches. Fortunately, it is relatively difficult to break, but is the most commonly fractured bone in the carpus, particularly because of its unique anatomy and position within the wrist. Approximately 60% of carpal fractures are scaphoid fractures.

The scaphoid primarily receives its blood from the distal end. Improper healing after a fracture can lead to avascular necrosis of the proximal segment, and increase the likelihood of osteoarthritis.

Fractures of the scaphoid must be recognized and treated quickly, as prompt treatment is the key to proper healing. Delays may complicate healing. Even rapidly immobilized fractures may require surgical treatment, including use of the Herbert screw to bind the two halves together.
Sawblade
1/30/2010 2:37pm
Didn't Hannah also have the same break in 83? I remember pictures with wires attached to his hand from a device that ran a low voltage current to promote the healing process.
1/30/2010 2:47pm
Ddavis wrote:
I got a spaphoid fracture in my wrist, NEVER got it xray'd. figured id just let it heal, it never did. it bothers me everyday, its...
"I broke it but never got it Xray'd"

So how do you know it's broken?
Ddavis
1/30/2010 3:04pm
EVERYONE says that TripleFive, trust me, ive researched it enough on the internet to know exactly how it broke.

i was 4th WFO on a 125 at LACR and the sweeping sand berm blew out and i did a full front flip and landed on both wrists/back, i wasnt able to ride for a few weeks. it hurts when i try to lift weights or push ups, but not when i ride my dirt bike.
1/30/2010 3:13pm
Sounds like such a common injury, why didn't the doctor diagnose it sooner? Larry Brooks made it sound like JS has a mystery problem. Shades of grey if you ask me.
Ddavis
1/30/2010 3:28pm
What type of safety equipment could protect a rider against such an injury?

taping up your wrist before you ride.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/30/2010 3:30pm
MX-Files wrote:
Ozzy, I think Rick broke more than bones, whole bunch of tendons, ligaments, etc. In addition to bones). His hand was folded over backwards on the...
Ozzy,

I think Rick broke more than bones, whole bunch of tendons, ligaments, etc. In addition to bones). His hand was folded over backwards on the top of his forearm like a door hinge. The way he described it to us. Sounded ugly.
Correct. I put that question to Larry Brooks, and he said RJ's had lots of bones, and plenty of other damage...more of a crush injury the way he got landed on. They'll be keeping an eye on James' progress weekly.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/30/2010 3:31pm
Ddavis wrote:
Or using Devin Davis as a landing pad. That sounds more effective to me. Wink
cdm806
Fantasy
1404th
1/30/2010 3:39pm
Ddavis wrote:
TripleFive wrote:
"I broke it but never got it Xray'd"

So how do you know it's broken?
Exactly what I was thinking!
agency399
1/30/2010 4:09pm
Broke mine in 3 places in 01. Dr said I'd need surgery....got a second opinion, put it in a cast , 8 weeks was back to normal....
Ddavis
1/30/2010 4:12pm
Ddavis wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Or using Devin Davis as a landing pad. That sounds more effective to me. Wink
ha ha ha :-/
88sdad
1/30/2010 4:15pm
Ddavis wrote:
EVERYONE says that TripleFive, trust me, ive researched it enough on the internet to know exactly how it broke. i was 4th WFO on a 125...
EVERYONE says that TripleFive, trust me, ive researched it enough on the internet to know exactly how it broke.

i was 4th WFO on a 125 at LACR and the sweeping sand berm blew out and i did a full front flip and landed on both wrists/back, i wasnt able to ride for a few weeks. it hurts when i try to lift weights or push ups, but not when i ride my dirt bike.
WOW.... I was told that a lot of times they can't even find if it's it broke with an X-ray, they need to use an MRI. If yours was really broke, you wouldn't be riding your dirt bike and you would've seen a Dr. by now.

numba1 fan
1/30/2010 4:30pm
broke this same bone, doctor said it needed surgery because lose of bloodflow could cause the bone to die, went to get a second opinion and was told since i am young and healthy it should be fine to just cast it so we did that and its fine, lost some range of motion but its not as gnarly as everyones makin it sound i dont think
denny360
1/30/2010 4:50pm
Ddavis wrote:
EVERYONE says that TripleFive, trust me, ive researched it enough on the internet to know exactly how it broke. i was 4th WFO on a 125...

88sdad wrote:
WOW.... I was told that a lot of times they can't even find if it's it broke with an X-ray, they need to use an MRI...
WOW.... I was told that a lot of times they can't even find if it's it broke with an X-ray, they need to use an MRI. If yours was really broke, you wouldn't be riding your dirt bike and you would've seen a Dr. by now.

Thats not true. I raced the rest of the 90 Nats and 91 SX and Nats w it broken. It sucked. I could barely hold on some days but when a doc tells u that itll be 6 months off and at the time thats what I had two diff docs say, I just kept racing thru it.
Devil1nNj
1/30/2010 5:09pm
calimxer91 wrote:
Broke mine and it was a six month ordeal.Almost no bloodflow to that one and very painful.
I did the same, and the blood flow stopped, the bone started to deteriorate, and I had to have a bone graph from my hip, and have the blood supply repaired. It finally healed up perfect, but like you said it took over 6 months with ultra sound treatment 2x a day and a cast from shoulder to fingers.
1/30/2010 5:32pm
so did james break it in the KP crash or elsewhere???

sorry if the question has already been asked??

Post a reply to: Did James break the same bone that ended RJ career?

The Latest