Big Lenny
Edited Date/Time 4/26/2016 7:38am
Invent the Crossup?...
|
hvaughn88
3/19/2014 9:18am
Big Lenny wrote:
Invent the Crossup?...
I think so. It was around the same time you invented the ellipsis...
Bigfoot
3/19/2014 9:33am
No. It was invented by Swedish engineer Bengt Enbroke who showed it to a young Roger. Roger tried to convince CZ to buy the concept but they passed. He continued to use it without the proper licensing agreement, but since he was such a hero Bengt let it go. Roger did finally get Suzuki to buy the rights and with his help the concept was further developed and was slated to be incorporated into the first RMs, but was never released under pressure from Suzuki's risk management department. Finally Roger bought the rights for $1 as part of his departure package when he left Suzuki for Honda. Honda took it to Japan where carbon fiber and titanium versions were built and tested, but were ever only seen in Japanese domestic races. Some prototypes made it to Europe under HRC, but were never used in races.

Roger testing an early prototype.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
3/19/2014 9:35am
Decoster's and the era's version of "the scrub".........
wreckitrandy
3/19/2014 9:36am
I doubt it. He may have perfected it. Much like James did the scrub!!

The Shop

BobbyM
3/19/2014 11:41am
Big Lenny wrote:
Invent the Crossup?...
Roger learned it from Joel. As fast as Roger was he didn't have the talent or the ability and speed as much as Joel Robert. That is hard to believe....
MOTOXR12
3/19/2014 11:42am
Bigfoot wrote:
No. It was invented by Swedish engineer Bengt Enbroke who showed it to a young Roger. Roger tried to convince CZ to buy the concept but...
No. It was invented by Swedish engineer Bengt Enbroke who showed it to a young Roger. Roger tried to convince CZ to buy the concept but they passed. He continued to use it without the proper licensing agreement, but since he was such a hero Bengt let it go. Roger did finally get Suzuki to buy the rights and with his help the concept was further developed and was slated to be incorporated into the first RMs, but was never released under pressure from Suzuki's risk management department. Finally Roger bought the rights for $1 as part of his departure package when he left Suzuki for Honda. Honda took it to Japan where carbon fiber and titanium versions were built and tested, but were ever only seen in Japanese domestic races. Some prototypes made it to Europe under HRC, but were never used in races.

Hilarious !!!
3/19/2014 12:32pm
Bigfoot wrote:
No. It was invented by Swedish engineer Bengt Enbroke who showed it to a young Roger. Roger tried to convince CZ to buy the concept but...

That is fairly accurate. Suzuki and RD tested it on the Suzuki TM series (400/250/125/100) in preparation for releasing on the new RM series. Some actually did make it to the US. (My Suzuki TM-100 had an aluminum version.) Unfortunately, Yamaha released the monoshock prototypes and Suzuki shifted focus to improving rear suspension.
Robgvx
3/19/2014 3:39pm
Bigfoot wrote:

Hate to correct you, but the cross-up was actually invented by Dutch rider Hertz van Rental in 1904. His compatriot Bengt van Doors took the technique onto the world stage though when he won the 900cc world championship on his five stroke diesel bike. That's who Robert de Grosster copied it from

The technique was commonplace up until the late nineties, but Honda, the AMA and pressure from environmentalists saw the cross-up forced out of competition by the worse, but more expensive 'scrub' idea.

Honestly. Some of you guys no nothing about the history of the sport.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/19/2014 3:48pm
I always thought it was Jim Pomeroy Smile
Coyote
3/19/2014 3:49pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Invent the Crossup?...
BobbyM wrote:
Roger learned it from Joel. As fast as Roger was he didn't have the talent or the ability and speed as much as Joel Robert. That...
Roger learned it from Joel. As fast as Roger was he didn't have the talent or the ability and speed as much as Joel Robert. That is hard to believe....
hate to correct ya bob but the first time roger rode the tm400 every time he rode the bike in 3rd gear it automatically "swapped" in what looked like a "decoster"!!
The Rock
3/19/2014 3:50pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Invent the Crossup?...
BobbyM wrote:
Roger learned it from Joel. As fast as Roger was he didn't have the talent or the ability and speed as much as Joel Robert. That...
I had the honor of being at Tom White's when Joel Robert had received his plaque on the Walk of Fame at GH. It was so cool listening to RD talk about Joel as the admiration of Joel came through loud and clear. DeCoster had some good Joel stories too.
BobbyM
3/20/2014 8:02am
Robgvx wrote:
Hate to correct you, but the cross-up was actually invented by Dutch rider Hertz van Rental in 1904. His compatriot Bengt van Doors took the technique...
Hate to correct you, but the cross-up was actually invented by Dutch rider Hertz van Rental in 1904. His compatriot Bengt van Doors took the technique onto the world stage though when he won the 900cc world championship on his five stroke diesel bike. That's who Robert de Grosster copied it from

The technique was commonplace up until the late nineties, but Honda, the AMA and pressure from environmentalists saw the cross-up forced out of competition by the worse, but more expensive 'scrub' idea.

Honestly. Some of you guys no nothing about the history of the sport.
Sounds about right Rob, although I thought Rolls Kanardly was creditied with that technique.
BobbyM
3/20/2014 8:04am
Big Lenny wrote:
Invent the Crossup?...
BobbyM wrote:
Coyote wrote:
hate to correct ya bob but the first time roger rode the tm400 every time he rode the bike in 3rd gear it automatically "swapped" in...
hate to correct ya bob but the first time roger rode the tm400 every time he rode the bike in 3rd gear it automatically "swapped" in what looked like a "decoster"!!
Charles my man...were you at the santa cruz inter-am race? Joel with his hand still on the helmet through the first turn with a holeshot. Smile
Coyote
3/20/2014 9:00am
BobbyM wrote:
Coyote wrote:
hate to correct ya bob but the first time roger rode the tm400 every time he rode the bike in 3rd gear it automatically "swapped" in...
BobbyM wrote:
Charles my man...were you at the santa cruz inter-am race? Joel with his hand still on the helmet through the first turn with a holeshot. Smile
was the first race I ever went to..my dad still gives me static as all the Euros wheelied down the start straight and I claimed it must be the "wheelie" race..lol. found some photos the other day
BobbyM
3/20/2014 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2014 1:04pm
Coyote wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/20/48814/s1200_IMAG0190.jpg[/img]
Not watsonville I dont think...hills of Santa cruz if I remember right.

Hey sir Charles ...were you at Livermore in 72 on the lower track for that race too? All three team Suzuki stars were there and hauling ass. Geboers, Robert and DeCoster on those super light RN Suzy.
3/20/2014 1:11pm
Damn, you guys were lucky growing up in that area during those days. I would have loved to have seen DeCoster race. I had to wait about 2 months (after the race) to read about it in the magazines.
jarvinator
4/25/2016 6:10pm
GREAT info/history Coyote, I appreciate it, did not get much MX news in the early 70's in NE MN....
Big Lenny
4/25/2016 6:35pm
Somebody felt the need to dig up a 2 year old thread...Dry
KMC440
4/25/2016 10:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2016 11:05pm
29,000BC world traveling Ugg van de Gort near the as yet to be built city of Pompeii. Happens to be walking along a hill no bigger than a modern 2 story house when he finds a round rock flat on both sides. Curious, as the van de Gort was in his early years, he picks up this rock noticing a small hole near the rocks center Ugg, as he is know to his BFF's on facetablet, puts a stick through the hole holding onto it on the ends. It is at this exact moment the ground began to rise beneath UvdG00 at an alarming rate eventually thrusting the now startled traveler high into the air. The subsequent noise and panicked scream from his lungs sounded of " weeeeeeeeeeeeeellll ! ! !". At which time the first freestyle move in history saw Ugg turn perpendicular to the "weeeeeeeeeeeeeelll" at a 45 degree angle much to the delight of the local villagers who quickly became ash as the pyroclastic flow engulfed them seconds later. Thus ending an important yet little known footnote of the sport we all love.

you really should have known ...
kkawboy14
4/26/2016 5:13am
Big Lenny wrote:
Invent the Crossup?...
hvaughn88 wrote:
I think so. It was around the same time you invented the ellipsis...
......what's an ellipses?......
ledger
4/26/2016 5:48am
I think 2-1/2" - 3" travel on the 60's and early 70's bike's created the cross-up for everybody. I vote DeCoster perfecting the motion, hell fire, he's perfected everything else. He is the Man, man.

Post a reply to: Did DeCoster...

The Latest