Did Chad just have his Windham moment?

APerry151
Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 1:51pm
Might be a little overboard here but...

Man he was not good today. Slowest guy in the main by a decent margin, 24th in qualifying. Went backwards—in an LCQ... Right now he can’t hold a candle to the likes of Alex Ray and Kyle Cunningham, and this is coming from one of the most devout Reed fans out there.

When the cameras cut to him pulling off midway through the main I thought to myself, “is this it? Was that Chad’s Windham moment?”

Now, I don’t know that it was, but another poor showing or two like that and I think it is quite possible we see him pack it in way early.

It’s tough to watch because the guy is one of the best ever, but that’s not the Chad Reed of yesteryear out there right now. Yes he’s underprepared (which to be frank is upsetting as a fan, he’s a pro athlete) but I don’t think that’s the whole problem. I think what speed he had left has finally left him.
|
BUTWHY?
1/11/2020 10:38pm
Definitely a bit of a tarnish on his image but it’s his money, his team and like Matthes view on politics... he can do what ever the hell he likes!
Dave #125
1/11/2020 10:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2020 1:22am
Definitely hard to watch! I wouldnt say the speed isnt there! But doesnt look to have his heart in it anymore.... cant be fun for him..
devotid
Fantasy
367th
1/11/2020 10:53pm
Am I the only one that gets nervous when he lines up for LCQ's? haha.

I feel like I'm an investor on his team and gonna lose money if he doesnt make it now.
APerry151
1/11/2020 11:03pm
Dave #125 wrote:
Definitely hard to watch! I wouldnt say the speed isnt there! But doesnt look to have his heart in it anymore.... cant be fun for him..
When I heard him say that Lamborghini racing stole his heart it broke mine (alright that’s a bit much but you get the point), because I knew he was finished trying in SX. Matthes said him and Chiz were laughing together at A1 about how unprepared they both were. Sucks because a lot of younger fans won’t remember him for his early days but rather the last 5 years or so.

I get that he’s earned the right to do a carefree farewell tour I really do, but sh*t man would be nice to have something to cheer about one last time.

The Shop

dimetime
1/11/2020 11:03pm
Yeah, it's tough to watch. I love the guy. It's his farewell tour and l'm cool with however he decides to do it.

A podium or two would have been amazing, and sadly far fetched, but bowever this season goes down it won't change the way l remember his run or tarnish his legacy.

He's definitely not into it.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
1/11/2020 11:24pm
APerry151 wrote:
Might be a little overboard here but... Man he was not good today. Slowest guy in the main by a decent margin, 24th in qualifying. Went...

Man he was not good today. Slowest guy in the main by a decent margin, 24th in qualifying. Went backwards—in an LCQ... Right now he can’t hold a candle to the likes of Alex Ray and Kyle Cunningham, and this is coming from one of the most devout Reed fans out there.

When the cameras cut to him pulling off midway through the main I thought to myself, “is this it? Was that Chad’s Windham moment?”

Now, I don’t know that it was, but another poor showing or two like that and I think it is quite possible we see him pack it in way early.

It’s tough to watch because the guy is one of the best ever, but that’s not the Chad Reed of yesteryear out there right now. Yes he’s underprepared (which to be frank is upsetting as a fan, he’s a pro athlete) but I don’t think that’s the whole problem. I think what speed he had left has finally left him.
maybe. hard to say with a guy like this. Kevin windham always had to take things 'easier' under pressure, for him to perform everything had to be just right. if anything was off he backed it down and he was getting scared to run with the top 10

vs chad reed who was like a boxer, a guy who always showed up to fight.

i remember back in 2006 or 2007 Ryan Hughes was racing WORCS at the time and was leading the series when at one of the rounds, about halfway through the series he just pulled out of the race and quit that day.

I know Reed wanted to do an official goodbye tour, but with no prep coming in, he should have done what Mcgrath did and put on a hot lap throwing Nac Nacs during opening ceremonies. Other wise he should've gone out like Carmichael who treated the season like any other, prepped, raced hard every weekend and went out with a bang
jemcee
1/11/2020 11:29pm
I've been feeling the opposite to some of you guys, where I've stopped really caring how he goes haha..
I mean yeah, it'd be better if he got through from the main and would be waaaay better if he didn't get caught and passed by ARay in the LCQ haha.. but I would much rather see him ride around safely than push himself.. Him getting hurt in his last year would be wank!
1/11/2020 11:34pm
He got his 250th start last week, and I bet that's all he cared about coming into this season. Now that he achieved it, anything else is just padding stats/records and icing on the cake. He's not gonna risk going out of his comfort zone anymore.
mx617
1/11/2020 11:36pm
That was my exact thought, just realized he was done with it.
Dougy1
1/12/2020 12:18am
I don’t understand why he bothers .. he can’t seriously be having fun .. it sure as hell doesn’t look or sound like it !
1/12/2020 12:59am
I said straight away "he wont see the season out". He's not having fun putting himself through that much pressure just the qualify.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3875th
1/12/2020 1:19am
He can step away from the sport right now and nobody would give him crap for it. The man is an absolute legend.
BS12
1/12/2020 3:12am
I think next week's A2 outcome becomes a lot more intriguing...
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
1/12/2020 3:25am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2020 3:27am
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Reed-and-A1-Poll,1367786

Ppl busted my balls but you know I was pretty darn close. Barely qualified for first 2 rds then rode around in the back of the pack in both mains. If a few guys werent injured idk if he makes it in those mains. IMO he has more to lose than gain being out there
Motofinne
1/12/2020 3:31am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2020 3:31am
Man it was rough to watch that. Lets remember that guys like Breece, Bowers, Chiz, Starling was at Dortmund this weekend. Then guys like Soubeyras, Ramette, Pellegrini or Lefrancois might show up at a few races. Put 50% of those guys into that LCQ and there is a legit chance that Chad doesn't make the main.

But i support whatever Chad wants to do. Race all the races this season even if he might not make all mains or hang it up tomorrow. The guy is a legend and an all-time great.
NoMuff2Tuff
1/12/2020 3:41am
It doesn't help knowing the field is pretty stacked this year, just making the top 10 even for younger faster top tier privateer riders is a challenge. I think he'll put in some better rides as the season goes on.
1/12/2020 4:16am
APerry151 wrote:
Might be a little overboard here but... Man he was not good today. Slowest guy in the main by a decent margin, 24th in qualifying. Went...

It hurts to reed this.. and agree Sad
davis224
Fantasy
165th
1/12/2020 4:27am
I had the exact same thought watching in the stands. He was shaking off arm pump after the lcq. Made me kinda sad
tek14
1/12/2020 4:30am
Soon as he misses holeshot in LCQ he will be out for sure. I think fire inside him to risk is gone and cant see him enjoy racing guys on B-group anymore. He got his time in spotlight and now 250 stars so why not just thank from support and walk away. Im sure everyone involved will understand.
1/12/2020 5:15am
This is why KTM didn’t give him the Musquin ride. The writing was on the wall.. I remember this happening to Jeff Ward. Exactly why RC went out on top.. Reed can’t still 25 forever but he sure did it better than anyone else. I HOPE he gets a good start, throws a lasso around someone up front and has a good ride before the year is over but it’s doubtful. I hope people remember his great races and not this season
PRM31
1/12/2020 6:17am
Go race cars Chad. You’ve had an amazing career, but nobody stays young forever, and this is a young mans sport.
Autotech1957
1/12/2020 6:39am
jemcee wrote:
I've been feeling the opposite to some of you guys, where I've stopped really caring how he goes haha.. I mean yeah, it'd be better if...
I've been feeling the opposite to some of you guys, where I've stopped really caring how he goes haha..
I mean yeah, it'd be better if he got through from the main and would be waaaay better if he didn't get caught and passed by ARay in the LCQ haha.. but I would much rather see him ride around safely than push himself.. Him getting hurt in his last year would be wank!
You don't belong here. Waaay to rational and unemotional for this place. Being a member here is all about outrage. THEY MUST DO BETTER!!! YOU SCREWED UP MY FANTASY LEAGUE...ETC, ETC. LMAO!
jleews6
1/12/2020 6:58am
Chad had a great career but its over buddy. Glad to see you pulled off early so you were not late for bingo.
gt80rider
1/12/2020 7:02am
Provisional for former champions to make the main anyone?????
Beeby
1/12/2020 7:07am
All I see is a man long overdue retiring taking someone else’s spot in the main that might have a future career given the chance.

When was the last time Chad really turned up to a season ready
1/12/2020 7:13am
I don't care how slow he is. He's out there for the fans like me who are patiently waiting for our round so we can see him one last time. See you at indy #22
burnside
1/12/2020 7:20am
Any word on why he pulled out?

If he's not more in the mix, at this stage I'd rather see him just do some whips in the opening ceremony and bow out of SX career safely.
mmcmx
1/12/2020 7:28am
For me, he could stay until he's 60 if he wants...as long as he comes prepared like last year. Playing in lambos in the off season is not gonna cut it with this kind of field, you can't half ass supercross. Whats the point in riding around last like that, it's painful to watch for a fan of his like me. Do it a la Brayton or walk away.
stangkag
1/12/2020 7:50am
Feels like he's getting awfully close to not making the mains. I know he wanted to make 15 of 17 rounds but this is hard to watch. I feel for the guy, he deserves to go out still competitive and enjoying him self. I can only imagine how much pressure he is under after all the hype in the opening ceremonies then lcq every weekend.

Post a reply to: Did Chad just have his Windham moment?

The Latest