Did 250 F bikes gain weight over the years ?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/25/2017 2:41 PM

I looked up every brand
And from 2000,s
Until now and it looks like
They are all 20 or so pounds heavier than they once were
Pic for example but it's not just Honda it seems the same for every brand
Is this accurate?
Photo

Photo

|

12/25/2017 2:45 PM

Read closer, one was dry weight and the other is wet. That is a 30lb swing

|

12/25/2017 2:49 PM

I think the mfgs “dry” weight used to not include tires. Some seriously made up stuff back then. Yamaha had the Yz125 listed at 189 one year somewhere around 2005 or so.

|

12/25/2017 2:58 PM

Running weight with no fuel was down to around 216 lbs. for most models before FI

|

12/25/2017 3:19 PM

the 2006 was dry weight. No fuel, oil or coolant. Just the fuel is almost 9lbs per gallon

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

12/25/2017 3:24 PM

harescrambled wrote:

the 2006 was dry weight. No fuel, oil or coolant. Just the fuel is almost 9lbs per gallon

Gas weighs about 6 lbs per gallon, it's much lighter than water. A quart/liter of oil is going to weigh about 2 lbs. the coolant is going to weigh about 4 lbs. the difference from wet to dry is about 18-20 lbs difference at most depending on the size of the tank.

|

12/25/2017 3:31 PM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Running weight with no fuel was down to around 216 lbs. for most models before FI

So they have gained some weight ?

|

12/25/2017 3:34 PM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Running weight with no fuel was down to around 216 lbs. for most models before FI

Tarz483 wrote:

So they have gained some weight ?

The magazine tests usually weigh them with all fluids except fuel and I seem to remember the Japanese models being in the 216 - 218 lb range . They are now in the 220s .

|

12/25/2017 4:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 4:49 PM

gained weight across the board

|

12/25/2017 7:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 7:47 PM

They did gain some weight due to EFI and even some added electric starters.

Paw Paw

|

12/25/2017 7:59 PM

As stated EFI added weight.
Now with the coming of electric start, they're getting fatter, and in Honda's case double header and cans.
I look at one of my buddies restored 06 kx250f, and it's beautifully simplistic in comparison.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

12/25/2017 9:43 PM

2008 Honda CRF was lightest bike and CRF 2018 is heaviest bike.
2008 KTM SX-F was heaviest bike and KTM 2018 is lightest bike.

|

12/25/2017 10:02 PM

tempura wrote:

As stated EFI added weight.
Now with the coming of electric start, they're getting fatter, and in Honda's case double header and cans.
I look at one of my buddies restored 06 kx250f, and it's beautifully simplistic in comparison.

My 06 Kawi 250f’s is one of my favorite bikes I have owned. Top 3 for sure.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

12/26/2017 12:11 AM

BobPA wrote:

My 06 Kawi 250f’s is one of my favorite bikes I have owned. Top 3 for sure.

They are great bikes. I take my buddies out when ever I can

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

12/26/2017 5:49 AM

tempura wrote:

As stated EFI added weight.
Now with the coming of electric start, they're getting fatter, and in Honda's case double header and cans.
I look at one of my buddies restored 06 kx250f, and it's beautifully simplistic in comparison.

BobPA wrote:

My 06 Kawi 250f’s is one of my favorite bikes I have owned. Top 3 for sure.

tempura wrote:

They are great bikes. I take my buddies out when ever I can

Would a 2006 kx250f still be competitive
Now against newer 250f bikes ?

|

12/26/2017 6:14 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

Would a 2006 kx250f still be competitive
Now against newer 250f bikes ?

No.

|

12/26/2017 6:21 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

Would a 2006 kx250f still be competitive
Now against newer 250f bikes ?

6-8hp down. Too much on a 250f.
(I don’t think my 2008 YZ250F is holding me back. It’s the obesity, fear, and lack of skill.)

I really think the a Japanese need to raise (lower?) the bar weight wise.
Every Pro is spending money on Ti like a drunken sailor, while the Austrian bikes are knocking on the door of the weight limits stock!

|

12/26/2017 6:32 AM

"I don’t think my 2008 YZ250F is holding me back. It’s the obesity, fear, and lack of skill."



Holy shit that is awesome. You gotta make that your signature grin grin

|

12/26/2017 6:33 AM

BobPA wrote:

My 06 Kawi 250f’s is one of my favorite bikes I have owned. Top 3 for sure.

tempura wrote:

They are great bikes. I take my buddies out when ever I can

Tarz483 wrote:

Would a 2006 kx250f still be competitive
Now against newer 250f bikes ?

Absolutely. All depends on your ability to hold the throttle on.

This was made oh so clear to me a decade or so ago when I was in a heated battle with another guy on 250's. Couldn't get around him to save my life. Next corner, a guy on a 125 carved a line underneath both of us and walked off and left us.

|

12/26/2017 10:32 AM

TbonesPop wrote:

Gas weighs about 6 lbs per gallon, it's much lighter than water. A quart/liter of oil is going to weigh about 2 lbs. the coolant is going to weigh about 4 lbs. the difference from wet to dry is about 18-20 lbs difference at most depending on the size of the tank.

Yes you're right...I forgot about the difference in density..

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography