Destry Abbott Leukemia UPDATE: Gofund me link added

Titan1
Edited Date/Time 5/20/2016 8:04pm
Not sure if this has been posted yet (and I'm hesitant to post it because I'm not sure its my place) but I just saw that Destry posted on his facebook page that he has Leukemia.

https://www.facebook.com/Destry-Abbott-114746998547830/?fref=nf

Here is a link to his gofundme account.

https://www.gofundme.com/24pwufw
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
5/17/2016 10:10am
Man, what a blow!
JM485
5/17/2016 10:14am
I just saw this as well, just horrible. He does so much for the endurocross series and offroad in general, talk about a guys who definitely doesn't deserve this. Praying for a full and quick recovery.
Xeno
5/17/2016 10:16am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 10:16am
Dang it! Here's to a quick and complete recovery for Destry!

The Shop

LungButter
5/17/2016 10:18am
Damnit.

Destry is an "All Timer" on the bike and damn sure one of the best ever off the bike too. He's a good man, period.

This absolutely sucks!
rubarb
5/17/2016 10:38am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 10:41am
Man, get well soon!
Titan1
5/17/2016 10:44am
When I lined up for my first ever Hare and Hound, not having a clue what to do or how it all worked out, I lined up on the amateur line right behind a Kawi 450 with a big #1 on the number plates. Coming from the moto world, I was in shock that the defending national champ was sitting there a few feet from me which his mechanic...He won that day...I've been a huge fan ever since.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/17/2016 10:59am
Titan1 wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted yet (and I'm hesitant to post it because I'm not sure its my place) but I just saw that...
Not sure if this has been posted yet (and I'm hesitant to post it because I'm not sure its my place) but I just saw that Destry posted on his facebook page that he has Leukemia.

https://www.facebook.com/Destry-Abbott-114746998547830/?fref=nf

Here is a link to his gofundme account.

https://www.gofundme.com/24pwufw
Somebody just popped in a $5,000 donation... Damn... Good on them!
gharmon
5/17/2016 11:00am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 11:01am
Good luck to him and his family!! I hope you beat that sh*t!!

I have another question and I'm not single this guy out but do any of these motorcycle guys have insurance? Every time someone gets hurt I see these gofundme things and it just makes me wonder? I know most of us have insurance thru our employers but don't these guys have options to purchase health insurance from an outside source?

Again, I'm not trying to single anyone out it just always makes me wonder. I have nothing against them either as I've donated to several of them.

Good luck Destry!!
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
5/17/2016 11:07am
ML512 wrote:
His daughter Kelsey just set up a GoFundMe page if anyone wants to extend some extra support to Destry: https://www.gofundme.com/24pwufw
This is hard to hear. I wish the best for him and his.

His go fund me account is adding up quick. Sure hope it stays steady like this to help ease the pain a tiny bit for him and his family. Leukemia is no match for this man, he will fight thru.

Lets see some other riders try and run his classes to help raise some extra funds. I would but people don't pay to go slower.

The moto world of all breeds are the best people around. I am very blessed to be healthy. People take so much for granted.

Get well soon bud, God Speed

chuckie108
5/17/2016 11:19am
gharmon wrote:
Good luck to him and his family!! I hope you beat that sh*t!! I have another question and I'm not single this guy out but do...

I have another question and I'm not single this guy out but do any of these motorcycle guys have insurance? Every time someone gets hurt I see these gofundme things and it just makes me wonder? I know most of us have insurance thru our employers but don't these guys have options to purchase health insurance from an outside source?

Again, I'm not trying to single anyone out it just always makes me wonder. I have nothing against them either as I've donated to several of them.

Good luck Destry!!
I don't know DA's situation, and I don't want to take this into the political realm, but I pretty sure he falls under the same insurance category I do- "self employed". Which translates to very high premiums, and minimal coverage. So I'm guessing he probably is insured, but being young an healthy, never anticipated this type of scenario. I'm not a fan of the whole "gofundme" thing, but this is one time I think it works. Terrible situation for what appears to be from the outside and awesome dude with an awesome family. I'll be donating what I can- and best wishes and positive thoughts heading to the Abbott family!!
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
5/17/2016 11:45am
gharmon wrote:
Good luck to him and his family!! I hope you beat that sh*t!! I have another question and I'm not single this guy out but do...

Good luck Destry!!
This thread does not deserve to turn into politics but the short answer is that they can purchase health insurance like any other self employed person. There are lots of asterisks that go along with that statement but, again, thats the short answer. So I imagine he does have health insurance. But even after paying his monthly premium and meeting whatever deductible he may have he's still going to have a lot of costs associated with things insurance doesn't pay for, coinsurance, out of network providers, etc. Plus if you earn your living every day, every day in the hospital is a day you're not producing an income.

The medical field saves a lot of lives but they also get away with murder financially... but I'm trying not to derail this thread... Doh!

I've never been into desert racing so I don't know much about Destry but I certainly know the name and have seen a number of mag covers. He'll be in my prayers.
LungButter
5/17/2016 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 12:04pm
For those who aren't familiar or haven't had the honor of having any personal dealings with Destry, he is, without a doubt one of the finest human beings to come through this sport. He's been a positive ambassador and role model in this sport for what must be 20+ years at this point, he always does things the right way. He's the kind of guy you want your kid to look up to...hell, he's the kind of guy we should look up to as adults.

I've had the privilege of knowing Destry pretty well over the years, I've raced with him, against him, seen him at the races, trail ridden with him, heck I even had the pleasure of beating him at a game of 1 on 1 in his own backyard once.

Destry is a great man, it breaks my heart to see something like this happen to him and his family.

The GoFundMe is at $20k after 2 hours, awesome, that speaks to the kind of man he is.

Tim507
5/17/2016 12:07pm
Donation made.......
Xeno
5/17/2016 12:15pm
Please don't turn this thread into an insurance discussion. Start a separate thread, or even better, look up one of the multiple existing threads regarding pro racer insurance.

Destry is a well-respected champion who has built significant social media with 270k followers. That's actually really strong for an off-road racer, so I'm sure he will have a lot of support during his Leukemia battle.
TeamGreen
5/17/2016 12:36pm
I'm keeping it Positive jus' like Destry does.

These things happen and it's "how" we deal with them that makes us who we are.

Signed,

A Fan
eazrider
5/17/2016 12:39pm
Dang...

First time I met Destry was at a race in San Manuel AZ in 1992...we were pitted right next to him and his dad ...Destry was running Expert, I was running senior Expert (40+).....I'm guessing he was about 15-16 years old. We ran at different times and I had just finished my last loops...I was cleaning up, not paying much attention, and Abbot (his dad) starting yelling about something or another. I looked over and Destry had pulled in with a flat rear tire, and had told the old man he was done for the day. The old man said "Like hell you are, you're fixing that flat and getting you’re a-s back out there." He sulked a bit, but pulled the wheel, put in a new tube, and went back out on the course....He didn't place well, but he did finish the event, just like he does to this day....Good coaching from his role model....and, lots of talent from the kid...great combination...
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
5/17/2016 12:54pm
A clue to what kind of guy Destry is... 24k donated in the first 2 hours.
Drfletcher
5/17/2016 12:56pm
Destry and his family were my patients when I had my chiropractic office in Glendale. I come to know him and Charlotte and have a tremendous amount of respect for them. Its like a kick in the stomach to see something like this but I know Destry with his attitude he will beat this.
Motoman35
5/17/2016 2:59pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I'm keeping it Positive jus' like Destry does. These things happen and it's "how" we deal with them that makes us who we are. Signed, A...
I'm keeping it Positive jus' like Destry does.

These things happen and it's "how" we deal with them that makes us who we are.

Signed,

A Fan

well said! Go gettem DA!
mxandy963
5/17/2016 5:25pm
This shit hit home with me. My healthy son who was a super in shape 18 year old B level rider had a bombshell dropped on him. One day we were at Pala the 2 weeks later we were in the ER and they were telling us our son had leukemia. Shocked and scared is an understatement. Flash forward 2-3 years later and my boy is as healthy as he has ever been. It's a long road with tons of bumps and whoops but we got through it. My son is back on the bike and showing this oldman just how to get around a track.

Side note: my son had AML leukemia. One of the worst you can get. Tons of blood transfusions and eventually ( thank goodness) a complete stem cell transplant. Traveling and overnight stays at hotels etc. cost tons of money. I encourage everybody to at least give something. Destry is a badass on a dirt scooter. Rode/raced next to him for many years. See you at the track/ bomb-run soon.
TeamGreen
5/17/2016 5:28pm
mxandy963 wrote:
This shit hit home with me. My healthy son who was a super in shape 18 year old B level rider had a bombshell dropped on...
This shit hit home with me. My healthy son who was a super in shape 18 year old B level rider had a bombshell dropped on him. One day we were at Pala the 2 weeks later we were in the ER and they were telling us our son had leukemia. Shocked and scared is an understatement. Flash forward 2-3 years later and my boy is as healthy as he has ever been. It's a long road with tons of bumps and whoops but we got through it. My son is back on the bike and showing this oldman just how to get around a track.

Side note: my son had AML leukemia. One of the worst you can get. Tons of blood transfusions and eventually ( thank goodness) a complete stem cell transplant. Traveling and overnight stays at hotels etc. cost tons of money. I encourage everybody to at least give something. Destry is a badass on a dirt scooter. Rode/raced next to him for many years. See you at the track/ bomb-run soon.
You rule.

Thank you Sooo Much for sharing this.
mxandy963
5/17/2016 5:44pm
mxandy963 wrote:
This shit hit home with me. My healthy son who was a super in shape 18 year old B level rider had a bombshell dropped on...

TeamGreen wrote:
You rule.

Took awhile to type it. Had to take a few breaks. Sorta rough to talk about. My son is my hero. As well as anyone who has kicked this shitty disease. Dirt bikers are a tough breed. Really hard to keep them down. I know Destry has the right line in this race.
TeamGreen
5/17/2016 6:00pm
mxandy963 wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
You rule.

mxandy963 wrote:
Took awhile to type it. Had to take a few breaks. Sorta rough to talk about. My son is my hero. As well as anyone who...
Took awhile to type it. Had to take a few breaks. Sorta rough to talk about. My son is my hero. As well as anyone who has kicked this shitty disease. Dirt bikers are a tough breed. Really hard to keep them down. I know Destry has the right line in this race.
Then you'll appreciate this...A coupl'a years ago...we lost Kurt...

We had a "ride day" for him at Glen Helen...the 1st one... Destry was too choked up to ride much. That's soooooo not Destry; but, it really hurt him...he was really sad and missing his Friend. Such a "dude". Just like Kurt. Classic Destry, he comes over and Hi-Fives me...he's got tears in his eyes..,

"Thanks for representing the Green guys!" I was on my KXF. I had to remind him that Kurt would want us to be laughing and riding the gnarliest-stupidest trails we can find and taking everyone with us...
He smiled and said, "I know. I'm getting there."

He's just a Dude.
A really good Dude.

Then there's this...
This is my friend, Destry Abbott...with his son...

Like I said, hes just a dude.
A Really Good Dude.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1522nd
5/17/2016 6:06pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 6:07pm
Just to say what others have said about Destry, he is one of the kindest, down to earth, humble dudes out there. My son races and is 14 and has know Destry for a couple of years or more. I remember the first time my son walked up to Destry and Destry acted like he knew him forever and never forgot to say hi and talk to my kid whenever we see him at the track. That's just the kind of guy he is, and really his whole family. Charlotte, Kelsey, and Cooper are the same way. Our family is gutted for the Abbotts and hope that Destry kicks cancers ass faster than he turns laps at Canyon. Get well soon, bud. Ted, Joyce and Max
mxandy963
5/17/2016 6:10pm
I wish everyone rode/raced, the world would be a much better place. Thanks for the post. Made my night.
mxandy963
5/17/2016 6:13pm
Forgot to qoute your post Team Green. Any-hoo, at least bumping thread to the top.
USMCMXer
5/17/2016 6:19pm
Sent my $100. This guy is a core moto/offroad guy and gives back A LOT! Best wishes "Dusty Habit"!

Post a reply to: Destry Abbott Leukemia UPDATE: Gofund me link added

The Latest