Desert Racing At 100+ MPH - Silver State 300 Open Pro Helmet Cam

gpracer4224
Edited Date/Time 5/5/2021 11:15am
Had a blast at the BITD Silver State 300 yesterday finishing 3rd O/A, just 19 seconds off Skyler Howes after 278 miles and 4 Hours 45 Minutes of racing! My section from Start to Pit 4 (RM139) was pretty fast as usual, with long winding rods through the mountains and trees around Alamo and Caliente, Nevada ✊ Check out some highlights from Start to Pit 2 ~

Highlights leaving Pit 2 and some clean air as I made the pass for 2nd in the pits! This section was probably the most fun terrain in the race!

|
TeamGreen
5/2/2021 8:47pm
If that doesn’t prove that Motorcycles are Dangerous?

I don’t know what will!

Stoked you had a good race.
wisey
Fantasy
1341st
5/2/2021 9:40pm
Sorry I couldn’t watch too long. It was so fast it was stressing me out. Good job!
FWYT
5/2/2021 10:12pm
Nice!!!
blaze 57
5/2/2021 10:37pm
Awesome clip! What is your tire and tube set-up for that type of racing, Thanks

The Shop

66TR66
5/2/2021 10:46pm
I don' know how you sit down, what with your balls being so big.
gpracer4224
5/3/2021 11:57am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2021 11:58am
blaze 57 wrote:
Awesome clip! What is your tire and tube set-up for that type of racing, Thanks
For this race, we ran a Kenda Washougal II front tire and a Kenda K270 Dual Sport tire on the rear stuffed with oversized Nitromousse’s. The rear tire is a little crazy looking but works pretty good on all the fire roads and it wears like iron. Last year we ran a Kenda Parker DT on the rear and ended up wearing it down to nothing, literally!

Our K270's after ~250 miles each at Vegas to Reno last year.

Our Parker DT after the SS300 last year -

YZed250
5/3/2021 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2021 12:17pm
Cows, deer and donkeys are no joke life or death risks for you guys. Seriously concerned about these and other risks to you guys at BITD.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/3/2021 4:24pm
Faaaaahhhh.... kin.... A....... ShockedShockedSad Dude !! That video just erased any thoughts i had about entering a desert race Laughing Awesome video, keep em coming Cool
Chance1216
5/3/2021 5:50pm
I have a lot of respect for you racing at those speeds.
I used to ride on the fire roads in Mojave
( Edward’s AFB area) quite a bit when I was younger. In 95, I had a truck pull out into the road and, I hit the bed. Because of that, I never raced, have a lot of hardware, and I spent many years away from moto. I now ride with my kid and, play ride with friends. All I can say is, with the utmost respect for you, make sure you tell your family you love them every time you head out.
musrat88
5/3/2021 6:55pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I have a lot of respect for you racing at those speeds. I used to ride on the fire roads in Mojave ( Edward’s AFB area)...
( Edward’s AFB area) quite a bit when I was younger. In 95, I had a truck pull out into the road and, I hit the bed. Because of that, I never raced, have a lot of hardware, and I spent many years away from moto. I now ride with my kid and, play ride with friends. All I can say is, with the utmost respect for you, make sure you tell your family you love them every time you head out.
Sorry to hear that, glad you are doing ok
gpracer4224
5/3/2021 8:01pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I have a lot of respect for you racing at those speeds. I used to ride on the fire roads in Mojave ( Edward’s AFB area)...
Glad it didn't go worse for you! At Vegas to Reno a couple of years back, I hit a donkey going 70 and I still have PTSD from that, so I can only imagine what hitting a truck would be like.
gpracer4224
5/3/2021 8:09pm
sumdood wrote:
Faaaaahhhh.... kin.... A....... :ohmy: :ohmy: :( Dude !! That video just erased any thoughts i had about entering a desert race :laugh: Awesome video, keep em...
Faaaaahhhh.... kin.... A....... ShockedShockedSad Dude !! That video just erased any thoughts i had about entering a desert race Laughing Awesome video, keep em coming Cool
As crazy as it sounds, going 100+ is where I almost feel the safest! It's going 70mph down a rocky fireroad that gets hairball out there... but everyone should experience at least one desert race.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
5/3/2021 8:27pm
sumdood wrote:
Faaaaahhhh.... kin.... A....... :ohmy: :ohmy: :( Dude !! That video just erased any thoughts i had about entering a desert race :laugh: Awesome video, keep em...
As crazy as it sounds, going 100+ is where I almost feel the safest! It's going 70mph down a rocky fireroad that gets hairball out there...
As crazy as it sounds, going 100+ is where I almost feel the safest! It's going 70mph down a rocky fireroad that gets hairball out there... but everyone should experience at least one desert race.
Not quite what I think of when I hear Desert racing. Looks more like rally car racing on bikes. Still bad ass & takes a huge sack to carry that speed, on those dirt roads where Mr. Donkey might decide to step out in front of you.
RMT
5/3/2021 8:48pm
Is it wide open like that all the way or does it slow down into single track in places? Can you pre run or is that not allowed in BITD? Either way, you're a badass and were flying.

Like the other guys said, I want to try a desert race, but that looks like the Springfield Mile for over a hundred straight miles! That has to tire you out from concentrating so hard for so long, no way you could rest or let your mind wander at those speeds.

gpracer4224
5/4/2021 11:56am
RMT wrote:
Is it wide open like that all the way or does it slow down into single track in places? Can you pre run or is that...
Is it wide open like that all the way or does it slow down into single track in places? Can you pre run or is that not allowed in BITD? Either way, you're a badass and were flying.

Like the other guys said, I want to try a desert race, but that looks like the Springfield Mile for over a hundred straight miles! That has to tire you out from concentrating so hard for so long, no way you could rest or let your mind wander at those speeds.

Pretty much all of the BITD races are fast like this since the Trucks/UTVs all race on the same course, and there is no pre-running for most of the events including this one. Local District37 desert races or National Hare and Hounds are all motorcycle specific and have more single track and slower speed terrain.
gpracer4224
5/4/2021 11:59am
Here's some highlights of the more fun section leaving Pit 2 and heading towards Caliente, NV!

SEEMEFIRST
5/4/2021 12:16pm
Glad it didn't go worse for you! At Vegas to Reno a couple of years back, I hit a donkey going 70 and I still have...
Glad it didn't go worse for you! At Vegas to Reno a couple of years back, I hit a donkey going 70 and I still have PTSD from that, so I can only imagine what hitting a truck would be like.
Was that you who posted a video of the donkey hit a year ago or so?
That was insane!

Where is your camera mounted?
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
5/4/2021 12:20pm
Race worcs..
gpracer4224
5/5/2021 11:15am
Glad it didn't go worse for you! At Vegas to Reno a couple of years back, I hit a donkey going 70 and I still have...
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Was that you who posted a video of the donkey hit a year ago or so? That was insane! Where is your camera mounted?
Was that you who posted a video of the donkey hit a year ago or so?
That was insane!

Where is your camera mounted?
Yep that was me...

And I mount it under the visor. It's a little safer that way, and at those high speeds, putting the camera on top of the helmet puts way too much strain on your neck with the camera acting as sort of a sail up there

Post a reply to: Desert Racing At 100+ MPH - Silver State 300 Open Pro Helmet Cam

The Latest