Derek Harris – good/bad reviews

oldblood
7/29/2019 7:50pm
oldblood wrote:
Go kick rocks.
mxb2 wrote:
Exactly,. Easy tough guy.
Old blood, for quite awhile I thought you had a measure of common sense - in spite of your antagonistic posting style. Now days...no longer sure.
I might have Derek do a supermini.
7/29/2019 7:55pm
mxb2 wrote:
Exactly,. Easy tough guy.
Old blood, for quite awhile I thought you had a measure of common sense - in spite of your antagonistic posting style. Now days...no longer sure.
oldblood wrote:
I'm happy for you. I hope it works out for you, and I hope Mr. Harris has learned something from these threads.
oldblood
7/29/2019 7:59pm
oldblood wrote:
I'm happy for you. I hope it works out for you, and I hope Mr. Harris has learned something from these threads.
Thumbs up
dmm698
7/30/2019 5:19am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2019 5:43am
wm741 wrote:
I’m not gonna waste my time reading the pages above after seeing at least a page of bear pics(lol) but I can tell you Derek has...
I’m not gonna waste my time reading the pages above after seeing at least a page of bear pics(lol) but I can tell you Derek has always been straight up, honest and kept his word.
Good thing thats the experience you've had - Honest/Keeping his word? That as a quality of his was defunct as a regular occurrence in the first few pages you elected not to read.

I'm not real surprised that the folks who have had positive experiences with Derek are local. Its a lot harder to look somebody in the face and lie to them on the door step of your shop than it is to repeatedly lie / make excuses / false promises from across the country.

The Shop

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
7/30/2019 5:40am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2019 5:44am
oldblood wrote:
Are you a paying customer? If so, I hope your kid's still on 65's.WoohooLaughingSilly

Edit: Pretty sure Harry Backmon can help you out with foam packing peanuts too.
7/30/2019 5:51am
oldblood wrote:
EZZA 95B wrote:
Are you a paying customer? If so, I hope your kid's still on 65's.:woohoo: :laugh: :silly: Edit: Pretty sure Harry Backmon can help you out with...
Are you a paying customer? If so, I hope your kid's still on 65's.WoohooLaughingSilly

Edit: Pretty sure Harry Backmon can help you out with foam packing peanuts too.
No! I've still not lived that down. Smile
7/30/2019 5:57am
When foam peanuts were inadvertantly sent to Slip by the folks that packed up my forks, this was his response, along with s few other words that I will not repeat.

slipdog
7/30/2019 5:58am
FUCK YOU FOAM PEANUT BOY!!!!
7/30/2019 6:05am
slipdog wrote:
Yep, that's the one...uttered an hour after opening the box in windy California.
7/30/2019 6:11am
An hour because that's how long it takes to clean up your garage and front yard and your neighbors yards once the peanuts are unleashed into the wind. I learnt my lesson when he sent them all back to me with my expertly reworked forks. It was windy in Jacksonville that day, my friends. I was still finding those damn things in the yard a year later.
mooch
Fantasy
501st
7/30/2019 7:19am
Bauer wrote:
I have a perfect solution for all of your bike troubles. His name is Ted Boyko of Boyko Racing in Costa Mesa, CA. Ted is the...
I have a perfect solution for all of your bike troubles. His name is Ted Boyko of Boyko Racing in Costa Mesa, CA. Ted is the man when it comes to any motor mods or repairs. I guarantee you will not be sorry.
Have any idea how the contact page is supposed to work on Boyko Racing's webpage? Very odd setup for a contact page as it has no where to put your email address or phone nbr for them to get back to you. I went ahead and sent them a message from their webpage even though I couldn't see how they'd ever be able to get back to me. Check out the weird multiple icons that a person is supposed to check when submitting the contact request...the icon's are total mystery as to what each one means and they are different each time you refresh the page. Thought maybe it was the chrome browswer that wasn't playing well with the page but Firefox was the same. Very odd contact page.
Lucifa.
7/30/2019 6:30pm
WOW, way to Harakiri ones own business!

Fucking embarrassing.
G-man
7/30/2019 11:56pm
Cliff notes? Woohoo
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
7/31/2019 12:33am
G-man wrote:
Cliff notes? Woohoo
Unless you are racing Loretta's or live fairly local, don't have this guy do your engine work. Laughing
c91x
7/31/2019 7:13am
Bauer wrote:
I have a perfect solution for all of your bike troubles. His name is Ted Boyko of Boyko Racing in Costa Mesa, CA. Ted is the...
I have a perfect solution for all of your bike troubles. His name is Ted Boyko of Boyko Racing in Costa Mesa, CA. Ted is the man when it comes to any motor mods or repairs. I guarantee you will not be sorry.
mooch wrote:
Have any idea how the contact page is supposed to work on Boyko Racing's webpage? Very odd setup for a contact page as it has no...
Have any idea how the contact page is supposed to work on Boyko Racing's webpage? Very odd setup for a contact page as it has no where to put your email address or phone nbr for them to get back to you. I went ahead and sent them a message from their webpage even though I couldn't see how they'd ever be able to get back to me. Check out the weird multiple icons that a person is supposed to check when submitting the contact request...the icon's are total mystery as to what each one means and they are different each time you refresh the page. Thought maybe it was the chrome browswer that wasn't playing well with the page but Firefox was the same. Very odd contact page.
Contact Us
(949) 642-3275
(949) 613-8327 (fax)
Ter12
2/10/2020 9:25am
Your just mad I didn’t build your engine

Go kick rocks
moscrop940 wrote:
Good Lord. The way you talk to people you would think your engines cure cancer. You’ve had every opportunity to “right the ship” and just say...
Good Lord. The way you talk to people you would think your engines cure cancer.

You’ve had every opportunity to “right the ship” and just say you’ve made mistakes and are doing what you can to make them right.
Sure you would still have some people that are pissed, but you would have saved a lot of face....
Instead you double down and go on the defensive.

I am sure your engines are good, but no ones engines are good enough to treat people, let alone customers, the way that you do.
You have no idea how I treat people Maybe stick to what you do know. I bend over backwards time and time again to help people...
You have no idea how I treat people
Maybe stick to what you do know.

I bend over backwards time and time again to help people and quite honestly I’m tired of it.
I pull all nighters so kids can go racing the next day
I help tons of people trackside for free when needed
We give local kids parts help and support on labor

I even help the competition. St js7 I remapped curren Thurman’s ecu for him and munn racing for no charge - no love - I don’t have anything to do with his engines or builder - and fixed the problem for him/his builder

I did the same for josh at ebr the same week on another ecu for one of their guys when joshs lap top broke.

A couple years back I fixed jace Kesslers husky 85 for free at js7 so he could race.

we routinely give free riding help and lessons when I can get to the track.
I drove 12 hours round trip so Zane could get a race bike this year

We support our customers to a level that very very few shops do - and it’s one of the many reasons I’m very busy.

I mean really? Taking a thread on vital as a reflection of literally thousands of customers - most of which who come back? I literally could not survive in this industry if we did poor work and treated people poorly

Maybe you should actually meet me - spend a day at the shop - before you pass judgment
Derek is a stand up guy and I have never ridden a better running 2 stroke. He had a 2 1/2 week turn around on my yz250 cylinder and I wouldn’t hesitate to use him again. Bike flat out ripped
2/10/2020 4:03pm
I've had Derek do work and he did what he said he would, after some tuning they were really good, I've had other builders do work and it was either good or long and drawn out, over the years I've learned to do it myself, whether it's just a rebuild or porting or a tune up, everyone's perspective is alittle bit different.
oldblood
2/10/2020 7:35pm
Hey Derek, don't be scared of these fools, they just have too much time on their hands.
It was cool to get your opinion on motor mods, something that these haters can't offer.
They'll 'get over it '.
Ter12
2/10/2020 8:34pm
Ter12 wrote:
Derek is a stand up guy and I have never ridden a better running 2 stroke. He had a 2 1/2 week turn around on my...
Derek is a stand up guy and I have never ridden a better running 2 stroke. He had a 2 1/2 week turn around on my yz250 cylinder and I wouldn’t hesitate to use him again. Bike flat out ripped
I love how people dislike my personal experiences with Derek XD! God, y’all are sour...
wildbill
2/10/2020 9:57pm
piscokid wrote:
Not riding supermini's. To be competitive in that class takes cubic dollars and engines built by someone that has tons of porting and pipe building experience...
Not riding supermini's. To be competitive in that class takes cubic dollars and engines built by someone that has tons of porting and pipe building experience. I have never used Derek Harris before and yes, I can split cases and rebuild bottom ends.
4csHATER wrote:
Man oh man you guys kill me, its pretty simple the more air and more fuel the more power you make, pretty simple stuff. im sure...
Man oh man you guys kill me, its pretty simple the more air and more fuel the more power you make, pretty simple stuff. im sure you could do it yourself if you studied up on it all. but instead just give your money to someone else, and dont learn, cause that will get you farther in life right, the money not the knowledge.
Jbulz wrote:
As someone that works in the automotive engine world doing engine system simulation, calibration, and testing - what you said was about as overly simplified as...
As someone that works in the automotive engine world doing engine system simulation, calibration, and testing - what you said was about as overly simplified as saying "working out makes you more athletic". That's easy if you take a couch potato (or engine, like DRZ400) and make him run 3x per week. But what if you're starting with a pretty high performance athlete (i.e. a high-strung MX bike) what would you tell him to do to increase performance?

There are a lot of "rules", like increasing compression ratio = more efficiency/power, more valve lift/port area = more airflow, etc that don't work in real life. There are a lot of counter-intuitive behaviors of engines that take more than a "guess and check" approach to testing, and actually take some analysis.

The Dunning Kruger effect comes to mind... Plant that flag and fly it high!

It would be so fun to pass your ass on a dr400. Wink
PTshox
2/10/2020 10:58pm
slipdog wrote:
This is a man in touch with his true feelings!
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
2/10/2020 11:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2020 11:18pm
This is a sad thread reminding us of the departure of Harry Backmon. Sad

*proceeds to do sad wheelies in his memory*
oldblood
2/10/2020 11:21pm
This is a sad thread reminding us of the departure of Harry Backmon. Sad

*proceeds to do sad wheelies in his memory*
splain

Post a reply to: Derek Harris – good/bad reviews