Derek Harris – good/bad reviews

oldblood
7/22/2019 6:21pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I was thinking that folks might be overdoing things until reading the rebuttal. I think Chris Cornell sang it best...... And you stare at me In...
I was thinking that folks might be overdoing things until reading the rebuttal.

I think Chris Cornell sang it best......

And you stare at me
In your Jesus Christ pose
Arms held out
Like you've been carrying a load......
Because if you just got the shellacking that he just got, you'd be perfectly eloquent. Ya right!
OldPro277
7/22/2019 6:27pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I was thinking that folks might be overdoing things until reading the rebuttal. I think Chris Cornell sang it best...... And you stare at me In...

And you stare at me
Arms held out
oldblood wrote:
Because if you just got the shellacking that he just got, you'd be perfectly eloquent. Ya right!
The "shellacking" as you put it, was warranted,justified and long overdue. Or is everyone just over reacting ??
APLMAN99
7/22/2019 6:32pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

And you stare at me
Arms held out
oldblood wrote:
Spent a couple of decades working with customers, and had way more than my share of "difficult" ones and many that I felt were extremely unreasonable. Never felt like I would win by trying to portray myself as a martyr. So yes, my personal response has been to try to deal with difficult situations with a little bit more grace, and in your terms eloquence.

Not everyone who is good at building engines is also good at dealing with customers. Usually they aren't, at least in my experience.

With as busy as it sounds like he is, it'd probably make a lot of sense to start hiring some folks. Doesn't sound like he can keep up with the demand, and more instances like this could cause the demand to drop.

oldblood
7/22/2019 6:34pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

And you stare at me
Arms held out
oldblood wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Spent a couple of decades working with customers, and had way more than my share of "difficult" ones and many that I felt were extremely unreasonable...
Spent a couple of decades working with customers, and had way more than my share of "difficult" ones and many that I felt were extremely unreasonable. Never felt like I would win by trying to portray myself as a martyr. So yes, my personal response has been to try to deal with difficult situations with a little bit more grace, and in your terms eloquence.

Not everyone who is good at building engines is also good at dealing with customers. Usually they aren't, at least in my experience.

With as busy as it sounds like he is, it'd probably make a lot of sense to start hiring some folks. Doesn't sound like he can keep up with the demand, and more instances like this could cause the demand to drop.

Fair enough.

The Shop

500guy
7/22/2019 6:36pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

And you stare at me
Arms held out
oldblood wrote:
I would say from just reading the last week or so.

DH does both good work and some real shitty work, but the constant is extreme poor communication skill and zero customer service.

Just when I feel like He is being piled on He posts and reminds everyone what the problem is.
500guy
7/22/2019 6:39pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Spent a couple of decades working with customers, and had way more than my share of "difficult" ones and many that I felt were extremely unreasonable...

reading between the lines He might be busy but isn't making enough to do anything.
bvm111
7/22/2019 6:43pm
You guys are bunch of children 🤦‍♂️
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
7/22/2019 6:54pm
seth505 wrote:
Tmz/mob mentality at this point. If the OP had a real delay it sucks but he posted he got the motor to someone else and is...
Tmz/mob mentality at this point. If the OP had a real delay it sucks but he posted he got the motor to someone else and is moving on. Maybe the rest of you can move on as well?
dmm698 wrote:
Well while I’m happy the OP got a resolution that works for him, unfortunately there are others who never did. I’ve got an unusable core due...
Well while I’m happy the OP got a resolution that works for him, unfortunately there are others who never did. I’ve got an unusable core due to mr Harris, as well as a junk main PV. Had to buy a new cylinder as no other builder could work with what he had done. A ktm piston sitting here I have yet to find a buyer for to that he required to run with the cylinder. Another poor fella is still waiting on a GET ecu since 2016.
What GET ECU has not been returned with what customer. we have NEVER done such a thing. And if there is a claim as such -...
What GET ECU has not been returned with what customer.
we have NEVER done such a thing.
And if there is a claim as such - I need the persons name and info - and I'll search all our contact. and make that right.

I post under my real name. I don't hide behind my keybaord - and I don't post up all the absolute horsehit that is done to me ALL the time.
Maybe I should...but then again I think there a right way and a wrong way to do things and our wonderful customers who have supported us for year - come back regularly - and think we do good work are a testament to that.

So if you wish to talk shit - post up your real name. Post up where you work. Post up my invoice that you paid.

Or our fabulous race results at ALL top levels of racing. I truly believe our 2 titles in supermini in 2017 with Ty masterpool will be one of the last true privateer efforts in that class to do so. Call jerry up and see what he thinks about HP

Zane Merrett had a career best finish at millville this weekend and top 10 start moto 1 as a full privateer - with a top 6 start in second moto and unfortunate crash where I think he would have backed up his first moto. Since zane has been on board HP - he has consistently been mixing it with and sometimes beating the fully supported kids. Call zane up and ask what he think about hp vs all the "big talkers" and names he has had prior.

Tyler livesay, owner of the MX factory and a wonderful youtube channel led laps in the 125 all star at thundervalley aboard hp. Call livesay and see what he thinks about HP.

Call the nehiesers, who had been around the ringer, and see what they think about HP.

I've got a fabulous young lady Named cami samples running HP this year. Call her dad and see what he thinks about HP - vs "the prominent" amateur 2t builder

I have a customer in new zealand running a premier team there. I wont' publish his name - as he'd prefer to keep his advantage. But over the course of 3 years now he has been running and buying HP - first started by him buying our package and testing it vs 6 other top US names - and has continued with him selecting us based of the dyno results backed up by fastest laps and moto podiums in their nationals. He is a continued testament to the effort and work that goes out the door.

I have MONTHS of backlog. It sucks. I hate it. It cost me money. It has cost me HUGE money in storage. It costs me time. It cost me stress - and I flat out can't stand it. And yet time in and time again - when I tell people Im really busy - they dont seem to believe it.
Last year a guy posted here on vital about how I had bad customers service on an ECU when HE didn't pay - and we DID EVERYTHING we said we would. 1 day turn around, email sent, I literally left a DAY later for loretta's for him in hopes he would pay - and NOPE.
And that's my fault?

I get asked all the time - Im told your the only guy in the area who can do this - I don't care if your busy can you do it.
I have a big heart. It's hard to tell a dad who buys a used bike for his 13 year old kids birthday I can't help you - when I know the next shop that MIGHT will fuck the guy. That literally just happened before I hopped on this thread. Kids birthday today and the dad got scammed on a used bike he bought for him.

It costs me employees and un believable headaches there.
It costs time on the phone - which is just wasted time.
And email
And texts
etc etc etc
I NEVER take payment up front - how am I the guy fucking people when we dont even have payment?
I donate HUGE time to questions from people all the damn time. FREE. To those who have gotten that time - your welcome - hope it helped.

People these days think it's ok to call me all hours of the day and night, sat and sundays, get pissed if I dont get back to them on the weekend etc. Call PC and ask to speak with Mitch on sat or sunday.
Or have mitch do your work - see how long that takes.

I have customers who do vintage bikes and have waited YEARS for work from mitch. They don't come bitch and moan about it.

I fix an INSANE amount of these "other builders' work. I don't post about it. I don't talk shit about them. I can't possibly know what the situation is for them - and what the consumer TRULY did to them - or TRULY was willing to pay - or TRULY said he wanted or what was TRULY communicated.

This industry is hard enough as it is. People expect F1 work on cheap beer budgets. People expect the "pro circuit" sales experience with full time sales staff, customer interface etc.
But I would literally have to be 10 times the price to offer that - and just haven't learned how to do that. A pipe costs PC 200 bucks on a 4t

But the customer service and overhead adds the 700 to that.
I don't sell pipes.

I have a VERY shitty free time life now. I NEVER get my time. And I'd like enjoy life just like everyone else does but apparently I can't post on here because I have someone's engine?

The OP of this thread apparently took it down. Someone started it up - uttery pathetic. The OP of this thread has paid zero money to me thus far.

The OP sent a total basket case. Completey apart, parts everywhere, box had holes in it when it arrived. Little bubble mailers that were labelled "parts" that I assume parts were in - were ripped and parts were NOT in. I have multiple "witnesses" to the box that arrived - I have photos - and I certainly have every email. I never withheld the engine. I said the day I Read his email requesting his parts we would send it back - and I had my good friend reach out to him to accomplish that - I was headed to Milville to support one of my best friends - oh by the way he is a baja 1000 winner and multiple time podium finisher aboard HP engine and suspension services... for the only outdoor race of the year I will attend - where I could double duty to support Zane, support Skippy 168 on his lifelong dream and FIRST EVER outdoor, where I also GAVE him FREE support in ECU and bike tuning so he could chase that dream and we could be a small part of that.

Am I not allowed to go to a race?

Have I not delivered an assembled engine to the Kid? Nope sure havent
Has he paid 1 penny yet?
Nope.

Is it worth him paying me the 120 an hour straight shop rate for me to dedicate ALL my focus on his until its done? Hell no. That would be a 2-3k labor bill at minimum on an old RM125 that Im sure will be sweet when done - but unless Im mistaken - it's not some vintage restoration. And if it is - and that's what he wants - that's my fault. I should have asked up front if he wanted to pay that sort of money.

His first contact to me was to fix his leaking drain bolt and he would send me just the cases bare -

3 months later after it didn't show up when expected - it showed and the box (didn't find the envelop until much later due to how it was packaged) had no info to what it was. I literally thought someone was pulling a prank on me - i had no idea what the engine was and what we were doing.

I haven't read this whole thread - and Im not going to reply piece by piece. Get me the name and info for the "screwed" get ECU guy - and I'll see what we have regarding info on it.
Post up the pictures of the boxes. There have been a couple different threads on here where people put companies on blast only to have the company show evidence that the poster wasn't being completely honest. If this is the case, I'm sure you'll get a lot more sympathy here than you will get from the rebuttal you posted. I get you are busy, but take 5 minutes to communicate with your customers. Did you contact customer when you received the boxes and missing parts? Send him the pictures? Allowing him to file a claim with shipping company? My buddy has a small painting business. He tells people that he is no longer taking new customers until he is caught up. If people still insist you work on their stuff just tell them you appreciate it but can't service them at this time, take their info and get back to them when caught up.
DKmxFAN
7/22/2019 7:00pm
Question wrote:
So we are not talking about the same thread, the 1st one was 1 year ago with the story i mentioned. A 2nd (and 3rd) thread...
So we are not talking about the same thread, the 1st one was 1 year ago with the story i mentioned.

A 2nd (and 3rd) thread has been created then, which i didn't see, that was from what i understand now talking about an engine that had been sent 5 months ago. This is indeed too long, and from what I am reading the way it has been handled has not been great either. I hope it can be sorted out for this case and maybe others as it for sure tarnishes his reputation. It is unfortunate as to me he is probably the most knowledgeable on this forum when it comes to building a fast engine.

5 months is (way) too long we all agree on that, but patience is also something the first OP 1 year ago in the thread i mentioned did not have and here it was not justified to be mad, which is why I posted.

In all cases, delays happens dealing with small businesses where the owners does everything, but also sometimes with big companies. With internet shopping people tend to think they will be delivered the next day. That is why I was talking about patience, and just for bikes I also had my share, for instance waiting 3 months for a new bike making me race a rented one and putting me out of a championship contention, 14 months wait for just a welding job i had to visit or call every 2 months for which eventually they didn't do and lost a pipe, 3 months of wait for a special pipe, 3 months to receive some special kit and parts, 2 month wait for a gearbox failure while leading a championship and making me race a bike I sold before (and almost killing myself because I OTB hard and took the bike and peg due to different suspensions), etc etc and just for bikes ... Anyway we all know that to have one bike working we need at least 2 bikes as 1 is always in the shop.

Now back to the topic, the 5 months engine, it would be great if Dereck Harris would come here and tell us what happened.
FU2 wrote:
[b]"In all cases, delays happens dealing with small businesses where the owners does everything, but also sometimes with big companies. With internet shopping people tend to...
"In all cases, delays happens dealing with small businesses where the owners does everything, but also sometimes with big companies. With internet shopping people tend to think they will be delivered the next day. That is why I was talking about patience, and just for bikes I also had my share, for instance waiting 3 months for a new bike making me race a rented one and putting me out of a championship contention, 14 months wait for just a welding job i had to visit or call every 2 months for which eventually they didn't do and lost a pipe, 3 months of wait for a special pipe, 3 months to receive some special kit and parts, 2 month wait for a gearbox failure while leading a championship and making me race a bike I sold before (and almost killing myself because I OTB hard and took the bike and peg due to different suspensions), etc etc and just for bikes ... Anyway we all know that to have one bike working we need at least 2 bikes as 1 is always in the shop."

BS.

Enough mechanics around who are working in the mx scene who are doing 15 engines a week for certain big companies and do that in 5 working days. Monday in friday morning shipped out out. So how would you say 5 months is ok? Waiting time? So you're talking BS.

14 months wait for just a welding job i had to visit or call every 2 months for which eventually they didn't do and lost a pipe,
Really? you're a racer and wait 14 months for a welding job?? You know one welder who can do a job?

3 months of wait for a special pipe
Now explain and let us see what kinda pipe that is, just curious about that.

3 months to receive some special kit and parts
Well what was that special kit, only made by one compagnie or person?

2 month wait for a gearbox failure
you're a racer and have only one gearbox?? How special is that gearbox. Gold with diamond finish? Explain?

Now back to the topic, the 5 months engine, it would be great if Dereck Harris would come here and tell us what happened.
HE FUCKED THIS ORDER UP with 5 months. Not only this order but someones ecu having from 2016. A cylinder fucked up from a person. So how many person that don't use the internet that are fucked by him? Or still waiting?

Glad my brother didn't pull the trigger to send him his engine, he could be fucked. If a american has to wait 5 months. How long does a European have to wait. If he get the parts back lol If you read his page you would think that is a great guy with knowing but when he starts to talk. Then you know he knows only his own truth not open for other things.

Question wrote:
Personally in general I get impatient after a couple of months. A couple of months is enough for a spare engine or an engine you don't...
Personally in general I get impatient after a couple of months.

A couple of months is enough for a spare engine or an engine you don't need urgently. Sometimes I have asked for the next days or next week if in a rush, and to balance what I ask if in a rush then for other less urgent things I give delays. It also depends of what you pay for, personally I almost never pays premium, which is also why I don't overask and adapt. Back to the 5 months engine thread, yes it is fucked up and not justified as the custumer pays premium on top of that. It would be good to hear about the other side of the story, although the email exchanged were quite clear.

Also, about the BS, you wanted information so just for information:
14 months welding job: it was a (easy) frame and (challenging) swingarm mods for a yzf chassis with a yz engine (af conversion). The company is pretty well known in france for being a supplier of a factory yamaha team in road racing and they also supply some parts to a french mx team ; I was coming from 2 close friends who have been working with them for more than a decade, so I was really confident initally. I won't throw their name under the bus although I hate this company since this episode and I am sure karma is a bitch, I have 0 doubt I will deliver the payback the day i want to. I wanted to work with them and they agreed, i wanted to have welds like service honda and not MPS if you see what i mean and I was for once ready to pay well for that (100€ an hour, in the us it may sound normal but in france it is 2 to 4 times what we pay for welders). The worst part is i had 7 or 8 bikes waiting to launch a sort of collection series. They did 1 bike (125 yz rinaldi AF), then they fucked up really bad, it started from the welder having a tib fib injury, I was still ok for the 4-6 months wait, but then BS, BS, BS and again BS (example: a rush period, forgot my number, a rush period, proposed to buy the bike for actually like half the price, a rush period, lost the pipe, etc etc). They were like babies that needed to be given the hand to walk. Anyway I didn't care much/didn't have time as i had another business but at some point I just took my bikes back. What amazed me is they were surprised / sorry that I was getting my bike (full of dust) back and they were proposing me to wait another month. The bike was looking so good (check my avatar, have you seen 2 WR 250 rinaldi AF or 300 AF or 360 Ohlins AF ? - that at 3 or 4K could have been sold like hot cakes) that I always wondered if yamaha interfered as they launched the restyled version 1 year later or so, but I think that small company just screwed up, they were just too busy working as automotive supplier. Now you will say why not another welder ? Because it was like working with service honda or factory honda instead of mps, in term of marketing and safety I needed a very reputable welding company and there was only one I could get a good leverage from, I didn't want just another af conversion. Then when you think it was sorted out, one of my buddies who was also an alu welder left his job after I brought 2 bikes to him, and the bikes collected dust for another 6 months. After this ugly story, just for a good laugh, now an alu welder rent a room in my house since 3 years (and the next 2). Moral of the story, go give immediately a good bottle if you know a good welder (because here in france a good percentage of people who didn't study much also don't care much about their job). This recommendation is applicable for mechanics too, if you know a good one, spoil him !

3 months for a special pipe: it was a custom made pipe from a nice pipe maker in the netherlands. The pipe was not on his catalog so he made one specifically for me (dyno, etc). It was working awesome and it was a good vendor of a great sponsor/distributor at that time so I won't give name either, and I would actually highly recommend them.

3 months for some special kit and parts: not for mx, for road, an italian very well known maker. At that time we were maybe 5 guys globally with this kit pipe crank rod so I guess there were not mass producing those. I won't give name either, I would actually quite recommend them but I don't think this thread would be good advertising.

2 months wait for a gearbox failure: this is oem, yamaha, the bike was pretty a new generation (and 3 months old) so the supply availability was not there (gearbox and cases, as most of the gearbox went through the cases, leaving a nice 5 cm hole. On top of that it was not under guarantee although the bike was 3 months old, plus my local dealer who supported me forgot about the bike around the summer vacation which lost another week or 2. At that time it was bad because i had only 1 bike.

Anyway, nothing to excuse the 5 months engine delay, I am just saying s.. happens sometimes. Via these threads, it still good to know what to avoid or not, or what to be more careful with or not.
Honesty your post was too long I’m sorry
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/22/2019 7:16pm
dmm698 wrote:
Sorry Derik, but your losing it. If you’ll notice I never said you were in capable of doing good work. Shop rate seems to have gone...
Sorry Derik, but your losing it. If you’ll notice I never said you were in capable of doing good work. Shop rate seems to have gone up since you told me it wasn’t worth 100$ an hour to do this or that. Must of been required to pay for all the storage. Solid choice in business practice.

Unfortunately I never got to experience the HP engine I was hoping for (and promised). What I received was you dodging calls for 6-7 weeks.

Mind you I only called once at 3 weeks as you had said up from 2 weeks to start it. 4 weeks you may of answered and said it was on the port bench. 6 weeks, nothing. Maybe around week 7 you popped in with an email you found a crack in the cylinder and advised against using it.

At this point, I was still a totally reasonable customer. Finding the crack at 7 or 8 weeks sucked, and cost us both time. Elected to buy a 265 you had said you found. Not really what I wanted but I needed a solution for the middle of March and it was already mid to late February.

So, you said it would go out end of week. Great I’ll have a cylinder back.

I believe it was two or three weeks of you working on the power valve finishing it up. Pretty sure in the end you said you were just looking for a power valve as you and your helper couldn’t get a bolt removed.

I’m a generous guy too, like you, I told you via email how to remove bolts like that in seconds, rather than hacking it like hamburger meat to attempt to use a flat head.

Anyways, I communicated verbally with you and email MULTIPLE times I was heading out of town for a riding trip, beginning 3 weeks before the trip. You assured me every one of those three weeks it would get out.

Well it didn’t. And you really didn’t have any excuse. Your helper sent it to me, while you were at freestone, AFTER I already missed my trip. Cylinder showed up. I paid you. Great, I can put this behind me.

Well that was until I went to install the cylinder. What I found was a repair job to the PV shaft area. I OPENLY stated that at first go around the shaft seemed to bind up. After cleaning the Buggar off, it spun properly. This was communicated to you verbally via phone. Regardless, as the customer, I shouldn’t of had to receive a cylinder, with a significant repair to the PV shaft area, that I paid money for, without ever seeing, without you disclosing this.

I’m not getting into what you think, or what you “know” about the cylinder requiring a seal with you again. We did this already, and it ended up with you losing your cool on the phone. Yamaha didn’t add a machining step to implement a seal, plus the part cost because they were hoping a builder down the road could come up with a cost reduction.

You don’t “bash” customers like folks who have had a poor experience with you are letting the public know? Your pompous Instagram post that left out the detail of me telling you the shaft spun fine after I cleaned a booger off of it, but was purely disgusted with what was said to be a 2 week job turning into ~4 months. Sure, you wanted to make it clear some of this time was spent due to my cracked cylinder you originally received. We can write off the 2-3 weeks you said it would originally complete in. Still over 3 months. Ok well give you the 7 weeks that it took you to touch it while actually not touching it. Still took another 4-5 weeks for me receive the cylinder you had sitting there.

I think the last communication we had was you calling me, raising your voice in frustration, asking me why I was calling. But you were actually the one calling me. You tried to talk yourself off the ledge by attempting to make it seem like you did me this huge favor, and that the parts would of been way more than the 735$. They weren’t worth a thing to me.

I am not the customer to call and nag you to take you away from doing actual work. Never was that guy.

Your customer service practice in my case was absolutely horrid. And no refund could get me back all the time I waisted, you waisted. It also couldn’t get me the riding trip I planned 5 months in advance back, that you knew about but didn’t seem to be concerned with, when you had MORE than enough time, as well as enough opportunities to promise I’d have it back (to which you did promise, and fail to deliver).

You said it yourself, you need my money more than I need your product. And that’s the most honest thing I’ve heard you say. Also, refrain from using pity when addressing customers. The fact you felt the need to let me know you’d “send me tracking when you got home” only “if your vehicle even makes it” is not a real good look.

Rant and rave all you want about riders you’ve supported. If you continue to treat paying customers like second class citizens because they aren’t chasing amateur nationals, your going to continue to disappoint folks. One would think the run of the mill jobs for joe blow would provide the capital to develop products for the fast guys.

I let it all slide and decided to move on, heard from a few more folks verbally very similar experiences to mine after the fact and wrote it off as a lesson learned. Then somebody else posts about a similar experience. So there you have it, my experience detailed for the customers like myself, who searched before sending you something for a review, and didn’t see anything negative. Somebody can take what they may from my experience, and utilize your “services” as their own free will. What I personally do for a living has absolutely nothing to do with a transaction (well, attempted) with regards to my personal dealing (again, not my profession related in the least) with a business, YOU operate. Weather I’m the president of the United States or a clerk at the local gas station makes no difference in the fact I attempted to be a paying customer in return for goods and services to be provided by your company.
-Drew
Some serious writing skills there Drew !! I wish I could be as articulate as you came off in that post !
Fresh
Fantasy
3312th
7/22/2019 8:19pm
GrapeApe wrote:
I was kind of on the fence, until the official HP reply. What a clueless business owner.
I agree, I wasn’t gonna chime in until a response from dh. Dude needs to realise all customers are equal
7/22/2019 8:55pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Geez Gibby , I'm not quite sure I would compare being accused as a child abuser is equivalent of being accused of shady business practices,shoddy work...
Geez Gibby , I'm not quite sure I would compare being accused as a child abuser is equivalent of being accused of shady business practices,shoddy work and lying and ignoring paying customers. Keep in mind, there were at least 8 members that got jammed by him, and that's JUST Vital members ,who knows how many "outsiders" have suffered the same problems.

All that being said.... You're the boss and its your playground .
Your just mad I didn’t build your engine

Go kick rocks
7/22/2019 9:02pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Geez Gibby , I'm not quite sure I would compare being accused as a child abuser is equivalent of being accused of shady business practices,shoddy work...
Geez Gibby , I'm not quite sure I would compare being accused as a child abuser is equivalent of being accused of shady business practices,shoddy work and lying and ignoring paying customers. Keep in mind, there were at least 8 members that got jammed by him, and that's JUST Vital members ,who knows how many "outsiders" have suffered the same problems.

Go kick rocks
Wasn't that his point from the beginning that you did not built the engine.....
moscrop940
7/22/2019 9:21pm
OldPro277 wrote:

Go kick rocks
Good Lord. The way you talk to people you would think your engines cure cancer.

You’ve had every opportunity to “right the ship” and just say you’ve made mistakes and are doing what you can to make them right.
Sure you would still have some people that are pissed, but you would have saved a lot of face....
Instead you double down and go on the defensive.

I am sure your engines are good, but no ones engines are good enough to treat people, let alone customers, the way that you do.
7/22/2019 9:32pm
dmm698 wrote:
Well while I’m happy the OP got a resolution that works for him, unfortunately there are others who never did. I’ve got an unusable core due...
Well while I’m happy the OP got a resolution that works for him, unfortunately there are others who never did. I’ve got an unusable core due to mr Harris, as well as a junk main PV. Had to buy a new cylinder as no other builder could work with what he had done. A ktm piston sitting here I have yet to find a buyer for to that he required to run with the cylinder. Another poor fella is still waiting on a GET ecu since 2016.
What GET ECU has not been returned with what customer. we have NEVER done such a thing. And if there is a claim as such -...
And if there is a claim as such - I need the persons name and info - and I'll search all our contact. and make that right.

I post under my real name. I don't hide behind my keybaord - and I don't post up all the absolute horsehit that is done to me ALL the time.
Maybe I should...but then again I think there a right way and a wrong way to do things and our wonderful customers who have supported us for year - come back regularly - and think we do good work are a testament to that.

So if you wish to talk shit - post up your real name. Post up where you work. Post up my invoice that you paid.

Or our fabulous race results at ALL top levels of racing. I truly believe our 2 titles in supermini in 2017 with Ty masterpool will be one of the last true privateer efforts in that class to do so. Call jerry up and see what he thinks about HP

Zane Merrett had a career best finish at millville this weekend and top 10 start moto 1 as a full privateer - with a top 6 start in second moto and unfortunate crash where I think he would have backed up his first moto. Since zane has been on board HP - he has consistently been mixing it with and sometimes beating the fully supported kids. Call zane up and ask what he think about hp vs all the "big talkers" and names he has had prior.

Tyler livesay, owner of the MX factory and a wonderful youtube channel led laps in the 125 all star at thundervalley aboard hp. Call livesay and see what he thinks about HP.

Call the nehiesers, who had been around the ringer, and see what they think about HP.

I've got a fabulous young lady Named cami samples running HP this year. Call her dad and see what he thinks about HP - vs "the prominent" amateur 2t builder

I have a customer in new zealand running a premier team there. I wont' publish his name - as he'd prefer to keep his advantage. But over the course of 3 years now he has been running and buying HP - first started by him buying our package and testing it vs 6 other top US names - and has continued with him selecting us based of the dyno results backed up by fastest laps and moto podiums in their nationals. He is a continued testament to the effort and work that goes out the door.

I have MONTHS of backlog. It sucks. I hate it. It cost me money. It has cost me HUGE money in storage. It costs me time. It cost me stress - and I flat out can't stand it. And yet time in and time again - when I tell people Im really busy - they dont seem to believe it.
Last year a guy posted here on vital about how I had bad customers service on an ECU when HE didn't pay - and we DID EVERYTHING we said we would. 1 day turn around, email sent, I literally left a DAY later for loretta's for him in hopes he would pay - and NOPE.
And that's my fault?

I get asked all the time - Im told your the only guy in the area who can do this - I don't care if your busy can you do it.
I have a big heart. It's hard to tell a dad who buys a used bike for his 13 year old kids birthday I can't help you - when I know the next shop that MIGHT will fuck the guy. That literally just happened before I hopped on this thread. Kids birthday today and the dad got scammed on a used bike he bought for him.

And email
And texts
etc etc etc
I NEVER take payment up front - how am I the guy fucking people when we dont even have payment?
I donate HUGE time to questions from people all the damn time. FREE. To those who have gotten that time - your welcome - hope it helped.

People these days think it's ok to call me all hours of the day and night, sat and sundays, get pissed if I dont get back to them on the weekend etc. Call PC and ask to speak with Mitch on sat or sunday.

I have customers who do vintage bikes and have waited YEARS for work from mitch. They don't come bitch and moan about it.

I fix an INSANE amount of these "other builders' work. I don't post about it. I don't talk shit about them. I can't possibly know what the situation is for them - and what the consumer TRULY did to them - or TRULY was willing to pay - or TRULY said he wanted or what was TRULY communicated.

This industry is hard enough as it is. People expect F1 work on cheap beer budgets. People expect the "pro circuit" sales experience with full time sales staff, customer interface etc.
But I would literally have to be 10 times the price to offer that - and just haven't learned how to do that. A pipe costs PC 200 bucks on a 4t

I don't sell pipes.

I have a VERY shitty free time life now. I NEVER get my time. And I'd like enjoy life just like everyone else does but apparently I can't post on here because I have someone's engine?

The OP of this thread apparently took it down. Someone started it up - uttery pathetic. The OP of this thread has paid zero money to me thus far.

The OP sent a total basket case. Completey apart, parts everywhere, box had holes in it when it arrived. Little bubble mailers that were labelled "parts" that I assume parts were in - were ripped and parts were NOT in. I have multiple "witnesses" to the box that arrived - I have photos - and I certainly have every email. I never withheld the engine. I said the day I Read his email requesting his parts we would send it back - and I had my good friend reach out to him to accomplish that - I was headed to Milville to support one of my best friends - oh by the way he is a baja 1000 winner and multiple time podium finisher aboard HP engine and suspension services... for the only outdoor race of the year I will attend - where I could double duty to support Zane, support Skippy 168 on his lifelong dream and FIRST EVER outdoor, where I also GAVE him FREE support in ECU and bike tuning so he could chase that dream and we could be a small part of that.

Has he paid 1 penny yet?
Nope.

Is it worth him paying me the 120 an hour straight shop rate for me to dedicate ALL my focus on his until its done? Hell no. That would be a 2-3k labor bill at minimum on an old RM125 that Im sure will be sweet when done - but unless Im mistaken - it's not some vintage restoration. And if it is - and that's what he wants - that's my fault. I should have asked up front if he wanted to pay that sort of money.

His first contact to me was to fix his leaking drain bolt and he would send me just the cases bare -

3 months later after it didn't show up when expected - it showed and the box (didn't find the envelop until much later due to how it was packaged) had no info to what it was. I literally thought someone was pulling a prank on me - i had no idea what the engine was and what we were doing.

I haven't read this whole thread - and Im not going to reply piece by piece. Get me the name and info for the "screwed" get ECU guy - and I'll see what we have regarding info on it.
yak651 wrote:
Post up the pictures of the boxes. There have been a couple different threads on here where people put companies on blast only to have the...
Post up the pictures of the boxes. There have been a couple different threads on here where people put companies on blast only to have the company show evidence that the poster wasn't being completely honest. If this is the case, I'm sure you'll get a lot more sympathy here than you will get from the rebuttal you posted. I get you are busy, but take 5 minutes to communicate with your customers. Did you contact customer when you received the boxes and missing parts? Send him the pictures? Allowing him to file a claim with shipping company? My buddy has a small painting business. He tells people that he is no longer taking new customers until he is caught up. If people still insist you work on their stuff just tell them you appreciate it but can't service them at this time, take their info and get back to them when caught up.
It showed 3 months after I was told it would with no contact info clearly shown. I had no idea who sent it or what it was and had forgotten at that point about the conversations had prior about the job.

Originally I was asked if we could fix only the leaking drain bolt. And that it would arrive completely bare - because I had said I was really busy and if that’s all he wanted fixed - I would need to split the cases to do that and I was too backlogged to do so in a short time manner. I frankly was trying to not get the job.

It also showed up with “the full engine parts” scattered about. Because Of this - it didn’t click with me this was the drain bolt repair conversation motor.

I finally did find the envelop - amongst the packing after he contacted me about a month after it had arrived to see if it arrived.

I can literally spend all day on the phone if I choose to
Or email
Or doing administrative shit
So sometime I answer sometime I don’t. I’m not getting rich doing this - and while I certainly would love to - even if we charged more it would just go to better process control and more overhead. Something I don’t feel this industry will support for much longer with e bikes coming and the already massive decline in those that ride over the last 10 years.

People seem to forget that jgr had a consumer division that failed miserably. Despite the best of everything in every regard they couldn’t survive. It’s a tough business to be done at the level that “makes sense” to be done right.

Without subsidy the jgr consumer division would have never existed - and it was without a doubt one of the most expensive aftermarket out there. Still not enough to pay the bills.

PC looses money with their repair shop. Mtich does it because he can - and feels people deserve a place to get shit fixed. Good on him for doing so - lucking the repair side has the mod side and machining side that comes with the mod side to lean on for things they need. But if pc only did repair - they wouldn’t be around. You have to charge more than the market can tolerate for proper quality and customer relations.

I feel the same way - people deserve to get shit fixed but 90 percent of the general repair work I do looses money.

I don’t take on a lot of general repair work for that reason. In this instance Travis seemed nice and had told me he was fucked by 2 other shops before me. I haven’t and won’t bash them - as it’s clear why this project is stalled.

It really needs some bearing pockets redone (or new cases) and some other areas sorted out. The repair of the drain plug previously looked like decent work - so fixing it this time appears to be a pretty good operation where the drain plug is milled out and a slug that is machined with threads pre tapped will get welded in

I use a guy for that - as he is the best welder and fabricator in about a 100 mile radius and happens to be within 5 miles of me - but he is really busy too because of that skill set. This sort of work to be done right by a guy like that is time extensive and while he goes over kill a lot it’s always done to perfection. However with the loose transmission bearing pockets, the weld heat and preheat requirements is Also an issue. So the cases will need to checked after to make sure they will still seal with one another (easy enough to lap) and bearings and all that are right enough (already some too loose). On top of this the pockets need to line up with the other side of the case - and that is always a massive pain when redoing them.

I could blast a host of individuals and won’t. Every business in this industry gets fucked more than they fuck.
Let’s be real - how exactly have I gained from travis? I certainly have no money gain
I have no need for these parts or engine
I have not sold them - it cost me money to have a place to store them

It has now cost a tremendous headache here - and all for literally 0 dollars on a job where I’m asked to help solve a problem for someone? I should have just said no... I don’t want to do it - and I certainly will in the future

But then you get dill holes who bash you for not taking on their work “not having time for me but having time for so and so”

Well - it’s the business world. I have to pay my bills and frankly they aren’t that’s big- i drive an 82 truck, have no nice shit, and work in the fucking swamp we call Texas right now 100 degree heat and super humid because ac is expensive and I don’t have it

I really - really - don’t have to do that for someone who at the end of the day I didn’t solicit for work. Ask for work, advertise for work etc, they called me to solve their problem. Do I enjoy it when things go well as we help people achieve their goals. Yep

So I want success and quick turn around and more
Money ? Yep

But unlike the majority of this industry - I haven’t sold my soul to get rich. So everyone keep buying pipes you have no data on, and buying parts you haven’t truly tested back and forth, keep buying “suspension” mods that often are within clickable rsnge from stock...etc and feel happy about it. At the end of the day - 90 percent of it is total crap.

I laughed when the vital Rmz250 review said the pc bike with a piston and pipe was close to the jgr stage2 bike they rode. I can say with certainty they aren’t even close. But how many people will Now opt out of jgr combo and into a piston and pipe - thinking, well they said it’s close why spend 5gs

The whole industry is a marketing, customer service expertly oiled and run circus.

You couldn’t pay me to ride a bike with some of the aftermarket products pushed by all these sites. But these sites survive off them.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
7/22/2019 9:34pm
GrapeApe wrote:
I was kind of on the fence, until the official HP reply. What a clueless business owner.
Fresh wrote:
I agree, I wasn’t gonna chime in until a response from dh. Dude needs to realise all customers are equal
No, not all customers are equal. Some are more important than others, hell some customers are downright defective.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/22/2019 9:37pm
OldPro277 wrote:

Go kick rocks
moscrop940 wrote:
Good Lord. The way you talk to people you would think your engines cure cancer. You’ve had every opportunity to “right the ship” and just say...

You’ve had every opportunity to “right the ship” and just say you’ve made mistakes and are doing what you can to make them right.
Sure you would still have some people that are pissed, but you would have saved a lot of face....

I am sure your engines are good, but no ones engines are good enough to treat people, let alone customers, the way that you do.
Agreed

I’ve used a lot of Tuners over the years and have never seen this kind of behavior, and I’ve had some way bigger names that have way more titles and big named riders to their name. Not sure how old Derrick is, but he comes across as a cocky guy for sure ! Plenty of good tuners with more reputable names out there, no need to gamble !
GIwasB4
7/22/2019 9:40pm
“Real luxury is not working like a maniac to take a vacation--it is living a life you enjoy every day.”

"Look in the mirror, that's your competition"
7/22/2019 9:45pm
OldPro277 wrote:

Go kick rocks
moscrop940 wrote:
Good Lord. The way you talk to people you would think your engines cure cancer. You’ve had every opportunity to “right the ship” and just say...

You have no idea how I treat people
Maybe stick to what you do know.

I bend over backwards time and time again to help people and quite honestly I’m tired of it.
I pull all nighters so kids can go racing the next day
I help tons of people trackside for free when needed
We give local kids parts help and support on labor

I even help the competition. St js7 I remapped curren Thurman’s ecu for him and munn racing for no charge - no love - I don’t have anything to do with his engines or builder - and fixed the problem for him/his builder

I did the same for josh at ebr the same week on another ecu for one of their guys when joshs lap top broke.

A couple years back I fixed jace Kesslers husky 85 for free at js7 so he could race.

we routinely give free riding help and lessons when I can get to the track.
I drove 12 hours round trip so Zane could get a race bike this year

We support our customers to a level that very very few shops do - and it’s one of the many reasons I’m very busy.

I mean really? Taking a thread on vital as a reflection of literally thousands of customers - most of which who come back? I literally could not survive in this industry if we did poor work and treated people poorly

Maybe you should actually meet me - spend a day at the shop - before you pass judgment
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/22/2019 9:46pm

And that's my fault?

And email
And texts
etc etc etc

I don't sell pipes.

Has he paid 1 penny yet?
Nope.

yak651 wrote:
Post up the pictures of the boxes. There have been a couple different threads on here where people put companies on blast only to have the...
It showed 3 months after I was told it would with no contact info clearly shown. I had no idea who sent it or what it...
It showed 3 months after I was told it would with no contact info clearly shown. I had no idea who sent it or what it was and had forgotten at that point about the conversations had prior about the job.

Originally I was asked if we could fix only the leaking drain bolt. And that it would arrive completely bare - because I had said I was really busy and if that’s all he wanted fixed - I would need to split the cases to do that and I was too backlogged to do so in a short time manner. I frankly was trying to not get the job.

It also showed up with “the full engine parts” scattered about. Because Of this - it didn’t click with me this was the drain bolt repair conversation motor.

I finally did find the envelop - amongst the packing after he contacted me about a month after it had arrived to see if it arrived.

I can literally spend all day on the phone if I choose to
Or email
Or doing administrative shit
So sometime I answer sometime I don’t. I’m not getting rich doing this - and while I certainly would love to - even if we charged more it would just go to better process control and more overhead. Something I don’t feel this industry will support for much longer with e bikes coming and the already massive decline in those that ride over the last 10 years.

People seem to forget that jgr had a consumer division that failed miserably. Despite the best of everything in every regard they couldn’t survive. It’s a tough business to be done at the level that “makes sense” to be done right.

Without subsidy the jgr consumer division would have never existed - and it was without a doubt one of the most expensive aftermarket out there. Still not enough to pay the bills.

PC looses money with their repair shop. Mtich does it because he can - and feels people deserve a place to get shit fixed. Good on him for doing so - lucking the repair side has the mod side and machining side that comes with the mod side to lean on for things they need. But if pc only did repair - they wouldn’t be around. You have to charge more than the market can tolerate for proper quality and customer relations.

I feel the same way - people deserve to get shit fixed but 90 percent of the general repair work I do looses money.

I don’t take on a lot of general repair work for that reason. In this instance Travis seemed nice and had told me he was fucked by 2 other shops before me. I haven’t and won’t bash them - as it’s clear why this project is stalled.

It really needs some bearing pockets redone (or new cases) and some other areas sorted out. The repair of the drain plug previously looked like decent work - so fixing it this time appears to be a pretty good operation where the drain plug is milled out and a slug that is machined with threads pre tapped will get welded in

I use a guy for that - as he is the best welder and fabricator in about a 100 mile radius and happens to be within 5 miles of me - but he is really busy too because of that skill set. This sort of work to be done right by a guy like that is time extensive and while he goes over kill a lot it’s always done to perfection. However with the loose transmission bearing pockets, the weld heat and preheat requirements is Also an issue. So the cases will need to checked after to make sure they will still seal with one another (easy enough to lap) and bearings and all that are right enough (already some too loose). On top of this the pockets need to line up with the other side of the case - and that is always a massive pain when redoing them.

I could blast a host of individuals and won’t. Every business in this industry gets fucked more than they fuck.
Let’s be real - how exactly have I gained from travis? I certainly have no money gain
I have no need for these parts or engine
I have not sold them - it cost me money to have a place to store them

It has now cost a tremendous headache here - and all for literally 0 dollars on a job where I’m asked to help solve a problem for someone? I should have just said no... I don’t want to do it - and I certainly will in the future

But then you get dill holes who bash you for not taking on their work “not having time for me but having time for so and so”

Well - it’s the business world. I have to pay my bills and frankly they aren’t that’s big- i drive an 82 truck, have no nice shit, and work in the fucking swamp we call Texas right now 100 degree heat and super humid because ac is expensive and I don’t have it

I really - really - don’t have to do that for someone who at the end of the day I didn’t solicit for work. Ask for work, advertise for work etc, they called me to solve their problem. Do I enjoy it when things go well as we help people achieve their goals. Yep

So I want success and quick turn around and more
Money ? Yep

But unlike the majority of this industry - I haven’t sold my soul to get rich. So everyone keep buying pipes you have no data on, and buying parts you haven’t truly tested back and forth, keep buying “suspension” mods that often are within clickable rsnge from stock...etc and feel happy about it. At the end of the day - 90 percent of it is total crap.

I laughed when the vital Rmz250 review said the pc bike with a piston and pipe was close to the jgr stage2 bike they rode. I can say with certainty they aren’t even close. But how many people will Now opt out of jgr combo and into a piston and pipe - thinking, well they said it’s close why spend 5gs

The whole industry is a marketing, customer service expertly oiled and run circus.

You couldn’t pay me to ride a bike with some of the aftermarket products pushed by all these sites. But these sites survive off them.
I can respect this post !! But your other replies haven’t really been too appealing.
It’s a tough industry and dealing with people can really suck. I think most can agree on that. But you have to realize the picture that has been painted.
oldblood
7/22/2019 10:13pm
Derek just remember one thing you can never win on vital The minions won't allow it believe me at some point you just have to say your piece and then walk away for a few days
moscrop940
7/22/2019 10:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2019 11:29pm

Go kick rocks
moscrop940 wrote:

You have no idea how I treat people Maybe stick to what you do know. I bend over backwards time and time again to help people...
You have no idea how I treat people
Maybe stick to what you do know.

I bend over backwards time and time again to help people and quite honestly I’m tired of it.
I pull all nighters so kids can go racing the next day
I help tons of people trackside for free when needed
We give local kids parts help and support on labor

I even help the competition. St js7 I remapped curren Thurman’s ecu for him and munn racing for no charge - no love - I don’t have anything to do with his engines or builder - and fixed the problem for him/his builder

I did the same for josh at ebr the same week on another ecu for one of their guys when joshs lap top broke.

A couple years back I fixed jace Kesslers husky 85 for free at js7 so he could race.

we routinely give free riding help and lessons when I can get to the track.
I drove 12 hours round trip so Zane could get a race bike this year

We support our customers to a level that very very few shops do - and it’s one of the many reasons I’m very busy.

I mean really? Taking a thread on vital as a reflection of literally thousands of customers - most of which who come back? I literally could not survive in this industry if we did poor work and treated people poorly

Maybe you should actually meet me - spend a day at the shop - before you pass judgment
Derek, I am sure you do help people. And again, I am sure you build a good motor. But you are completely missing the mark on what everyone here is trying to explain to you, and that’s you treat a decent amount of customers like second class citizens.
We’ve seen the emails, and we’ve seen your demeanor with your holier-than-thou attitude.

You say stick to what I know, that’s fair enough. I know customer service. It’s how I make my living and provide for my family. I’m pretty good at it and if I wasn’t I’d be out on the street.
With that being said, the fact you openly told a presumed client, via Instagram post, that you were too busy to answer the phone shows that you seriously need to work on your client relations.
You clearly had enough time to post to insta, as well as reply to the person whom you didn’t pick up the phone for.....
Couple that with the multiple people on here whom have said they got shafted for months on end ain’t a fluke. Put all the details to the side, everyone on here that has had issues with you stems from lack of communication. Someone could send you and engine wrapped in dog shit, but that doesn’t explain not hearing a single thing for 2-3 months at a time.

I wish you the best of luck, and truly hope you get this shit figured out.
7/22/2019 10:35pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Odd that the title to this thread got changed magically.......... hmmmmm Guy B I presume ?? Whistling
Probably. He deleted my post too
travo375
7/22/2019 10:40pm
seth505 wrote:
Tmz/mob mentality at this point. If the OP had a real delay it sucks but he posted he got the motor to someone else and is...
Tmz/mob mentality at this point. If the OP had a real delay it sucks but he posted he got the motor to someone else and is moving on. Maybe the rest of you can move on as well?
dmm698 wrote:

And that's my fault?

And email
And texts
etc etc etc

I don't sell pipes.

Has he paid 1 penny yet?
Nope.

Derek’s right I made it all up.
77Moto
7/22/2019 11:07pm
OldPro277 wrote:

Go kick rocks
Derek Harris wrote:

Go kick rocks

If you are going to tell someone off, at least do it with correct grammar. Otherwise it is not effective.
77Moto
7/22/2019 11:13pm
dmm698 wrote:

And that's my fault?

And email
And texts
etc etc etc

I don't sell pipes.

Has he paid 1 penny yet?
Nope.

travo375 wrote:
I hate when people post up a resume of their RIDERS work when so and so would have won with anyones stuff.

moscrop940
7/22/2019 11:26pm
dmm698 wrote:

And that's my fault?

And email
And texts
etc etc etc

I don't sell pipes.

Has he paid 1 penny yet?
Nope.

travo375 wrote:
Bull
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/22/2019 11:50pm
Probably. He deleted my post too
There's a percentage of douchbaggery going on in here that leads to some posts (and posters) getting clipped.

For example. People want answers. Derek posts a long and detailed response, and gets this...

If you're not contributing something worthwhile to the thread, or too lazy to read what the guy has to say, maybe it's time to find somewhere else to post. Stuff like that irritates me.
Bearuno
7/22/2019 11:59pm
Guy, did you catch Derek 'throwing shade' ( as the kids of today say) at Vitals assessment of some bike mods?

And, his next comments deriding 'site's', plus the parts and modification industry in general?

Post a reply to: Derek Harris – good/bad reviews

The Latest