Denver area practice tracks on a Friday?

It’ll be my first ride since 2016 so I’m ideally looking for a mellow turn track - and I’m gonna go on a Fri before the weekend rush. I think Jewell MX out by the airport has a vet track and their website says open on Fridays, but does anyone know they are with all this C-19 stuff going on?

Then any other tracks open these days on Fridays? I know Thunder Valley is, and it’s my favourite track, but I feel I should work up to that.

Cheers
Simon
|
5280mx
8/23/2020 9:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2020 9:58pm
Go hit IMI Motorsports in Erie! Perfect track to get comfy on, great prep, good turns, fun jumps if you choose. Plus there are some cool spots to mess around out back. I can't stand the dirt at Jewell, sketchy hardpack., I usually just stick to thunder or IMI.
8/24/2020 8:47am
Thanks. I haven't ridden IMI for about 5 years - the last time I rode it they put down rubber tyre chips in the dirt which made the dirt pretty nasty and the jump transitions were terrible. They also had a pretty sketchy double that I wasn't a fan of that appeared on race day one time. Happy to try it again if all that has been sorted out.
8/24/2020 11:12am
As far as I know Jewell is operating normally right now. They have a beginner (mini), intermediate, and pro track.

The intermediate track is really simple (and that’s coming from me, and I suck), but can be fun to dice around on with friends if it’s empty. The downside is it’s never been prepped since I’ve gone there, so 98% of the time it’s hard as a rock with loose dust on top. The other 2% it’s slime on top of hard pack after the rain.

The first few times I went out I wasn’t a fan of the pro track. Like you, it was my first ride(s) back in 7 or 8 years and there was just too much going on for me. The last few times I went out the layout had been changed and I enjoyed it quite a bit, much less busy and more turn-focused. I know they have changed the layout within the last week or so, but I haven’t been out to check it out. I have to give them credit as well, the prep on the pro track has been really good when I’ve been out there recently (jeez, I just realized I haven’t even ridden this summer). Ripped well and watered.

Again, I will qualify this by saying that although I rode some when I was younger and have been around bikes, I am far closer to the squid end of the spectrum than good. I’m still too intimidated to go out to Thunder Valley because I don’t want to get laughed all the way home.
DA498
8/24/2020 11:26am
IMI has changed since your last visit. Awesome prep on Friday. They just hauled in fresh sand throughout for last weeks race. Dirt is very good now.

I’d do IMI for sure. You can ride out back and practice on various turn tracks until you head to main track. No do or die jumps.

Welcome back!

The Shop

8/24/2020 11:51am
DA498 wrote:
IMI has changed since your last visit. Awesome prep on Friday. They just hauled in fresh sand throughout for last weeks race. Dirt is very good...
IMI has changed since your last visit. Awesome prep on Friday. They just hauled in fresh sand throughout for last weeks race. Dirt is very good now.

I’d do IMI for sure. You can ride out back and practice on various turn tracks until you head to main track. No do or die jumps.

Welcome back!
The “no do-or-die jumps” is promising, I might need to take the trek up to IMI as well. Their website mentions they are open M-F, do you know if that’s still the case with everything going on?
8/24/2020 12:01pm
As far as I know Jewell is operating normally right now. They have a beginner (mini), intermediate, and pro track. The intermediate track is really simple...
As far as I know Jewell is operating normally right now. They have a beginner (mini), intermediate, and pro track.

The intermediate track is really simple (and that’s coming from me, and I suck), but can be fun to dice around on with friends if it’s empty. The downside is it’s never been prepped since I’ve gone there, so 98% of the time it’s hard as a rock with loose dust on top. The other 2% it’s slime on top of hard pack after the rain.

The first few times I went out I wasn’t a fan of the pro track. Like you, it was my first ride(s) back in 7 or 8 years and there was just too much going on for me. The last few times I went out the layout had been changed and I enjoyed it quite a bit, much less busy and more turn-focused. I know they have changed the layout within the last week or so, but I haven’t been out to check it out. I have to give them credit as well, the prep on the pro track has been really good when I’ve been out there recently (jeez, I just realized I haven’t even ridden this summer). Ripped well and watered.

Again, I will qualify this by saying that although I rode some when I was younger and have been around bikes, I am far closer to the squid end of the spectrum than good. I’m still too intimidated to go out to Thunder Valley because I don’t want to get laughed all the way home.
Thanks for the info. On riding TV, I love that place but it can be quite intimidating if you’re not clearing the jumps. That said, everyone I’ve met here has been really friendly and just happy to see folk out there riding rather than laughing at anyone. All of the truly fast guys I’ve come across (or rather who have blown my doors off as they lapped me) like DA241, Starling or Mitchell Gifford have been totally respectful of my space on the track provided I hold my line. Jump straight and stay off the main line if you’re not clearing it and you’ll be fine.
8/24/2020 12:02pm
DA498 wrote:
IMI has changed since your last visit. Awesome prep on Friday. They just hauled in fresh sand throughout for last weeks race. Dirt is very good...

Welcome back!
Thanks! It looks like IMI is back on my ride list then :-)
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
8/24/2020 12:22pm
IMI or Lakewood Thundervalley. Tracks are both plenty wide if you don't want to t do the jumps are the most active and prepped on Friday's. If your willing to drive a little further Aztec is great in the fall as well.
DA498
8/24/2020 1:30pm
DA498 wrote:

Welcome back!
The “no do-or-die jumps” is promising, I might need to take the trek up to IMI as well. Their website mentions they are open M-F, do...
The “no do-or-die jumps” is promising, I might need to take the trek up to IMI as well. Their website mentions they are open M-F, do you know if that’s still the case with everything going on?
They are full open but have a reservation program in place. It’s pretty lackadaisical m-f, and you could basically just show up whenever. Weekends are tighter and usually have a person checking in at the gate.
Just give them a call for the procedure. You won’t be disappointed. It’s that much better than the past.
8/24/2020 3:20pm
DA498 wrote:
They are full open but have a reservation program in place. It’s pretty lackadaisical m-f, and you could basically just show up whenever. Weekends are tighter...
They are full open but have a reservation program in place. It’s pretty lackadaisical m-f, and you could basically just show up whenever. Weekends are tighter and usually have a person checking in at the gate.
Just give them a call for the procedure. You won’t be disappointed. It’s that much better than the past.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I asked because I’m only working half-days on Mondays currently, so if I could get out there and feel it out while traffic was lighter it would probably help my cause. I’ll definitely have to check it out.

Post a reply to: Denver area practice tracks on a Friday?

The Latest