Deegan Signs with Star

LungButter
10/11/2021 5:13pm
Where did i say he doesn't deserve a ride knobhead? Still i suppose "lots" is official i can see the conversation now. Sign him he's going...
Where did i say he doesn't deserve a ride knobhead?
Still i suppose "lots" is official i can see the conversation now. Sign him he's going to sell lots. Your just sumizing
Kid deserves it hands down but i never fathom linking and it has never been proven how many units are sold because of the individual.
Yes there a marketing machine but they are only marketing themselves. Can you buy a sponsored prduct from their shop deegan site like lets say a Yamaha ? Is there any links on there site to sponsors sites?
Closest thing ive seen is i think MXA worked out that for every RMZ450 sold back in the RC4 days $3500 went to his wage.
Anyway enjoy reading the Lots of comments here fanboy
What point are you trying to prove? You completely lost me in your babbling.

You admitted yourself nobody has any data on how many bikes any rider sells so why the fuck is it so important how many Deegan sells?
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
10/11/2021 5:15pm
A real question.

Do you any of you buy a bike because a pro rider rides that bike?

Cause that just seems stupid and I would wager most of us don’t buy a Honda cause KR or a Kawi cause AC etc…

Star isn’t hiring deegan cause he’ll sell bikes for Yamaha. That’s probably .05% of the equation
drivrswntd
10/11/2021 5:24pm
soggy wrote:
A real question. Do you any of you buy a bike because a pro rider rides that bike? Cause that just seems stupid and I would...
A real question.

Do you any of you buy a bike because a pro rider rides that bike?

Cause that just seems stupid and I would wager most of us don’t buy a Honda cause KR or a Kawi cause AC etc…

Star isn’t hiring deegan cause he’ll sell bikes for Yamaha. That’s probably .05% of the equation
(Insert age here) child under the age of 13 who watches Deegan on YouTube and asks there parents for a dirt bike. Likely what ever bike their YouTube star has. With his fan base I think this number has the potential to move the needle for a manufacturer’s small bike sales
10/11/2021 5:31pm
mxpitt23 wrote:
Shouldn't be a surprise really. The relationship the family has with the big green claw meant KTM was done right away. It was going to be...
Shouldn't be a surprise really. The relationship the family has with the big green claw meant KTM was done right away. It was going to be Star or Pro circuit and he went with who is hot right now. If it's my kid in the same spot, we make the same choice. Wouldn't you?? Arguably fastest bike with best training program and riding with numerous Champs is hard for anyone to compete with. And he keeps wearing Thor gear, 100%goggles and Alpinestars boots. Helmet was only change from 6d to Bell.
The kid could never race a pro race and make millions just posting content. So I think it's dope that he wants to win championships. And with over a million followers on youtube alone, don't feel bad for the orange brigade. I'm sure they sold enough bikes over the last 8 years to kids that watch his videos to more than make up their investment.
No, if I had the option I would 100% go with Pro Circuit. The opportunity to work with Mitch Payton and crew would be too hard to pass up.

The Shop

mxpitt23
10/11/2021 5:33pm
Brent wrote:
Wow, some of you fan boys really have a hard on for the Deegan Family. If it was average Joe getting the Star Yamaha ride, there...
Wow, some of you fan boys really have a hard on for the Deegan Family.

If it was average Joe getting the Star Yamaha ride, there would be howls of protest about how they "took away a promising privateer's factory contract!"

If he "only got on a 250f a few months ago!!!", then why did he get a ride with the most powerful team in motocross?

All because of the family getting backed by an energy drink? Is that how things work now, all sizzle but no steak?
LungButter wrote:
Well, according to the Vault he's a 5x Loretta Lynn's champ and has been at the top of his class basically all the way through the...
Well, according to the Vault he's a 5x Loretta Lynn's champ and has been at the top of his class basically all the way through the ranks. Apparently you haven't been paying attention.... but kids of that pedigree have been getting signed to big time rides for years now.

Seems as though some people are seriously butthurt about it since the kid also has a huge following but jealousy will always be a human trait.
Exactly... doesn't matter what his last name is or what connection his family has... if you win national championships on 50s, 65s, 85s and superminis, teams bet on you to win on a 250f. Carmichael, Stewart, Tomac, Cannard and nearly every big name pro signs their 1st "pro" contract when they get off the supermini... hell I think AC signed his when he was on a 50... lmao.
10/11/2021 5:45pm
The hate is just unreal.

Good on him. A dream for any young kid to land a factory deal!

I wish him an injury free successful career.

Brent
10/11/2021 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2021 6:06pm
Sully wrote:
[i]"If he "only got on a 250f a few months ago!!!", then why did he get a ride with the most powerful team in motocross?"[/i] I'm...
"If he "only got on a 250f a few months ago!!!", then why did he get a ride with the most powerful team in motocross?"

I'm curious if you had this kind of animosity when AC moved from superminis to the most powerful 250 team in motocross (at the time)? Or any of the current pros who had solid 250f amateur deals right when they got off mini bikes? Your issue seems to be more with his name and popularity, and that dislike seems to be clouding your ability to see that Haiden has as solid a pedigree as any of the high profile amateurs that came before him.
Adam Cianciarulo was as fast or faster than the leaders in the class when he turned professional. he won the first supercross he entered.

Haiden Deegan is exceptionally fast and talented, but he is not CURRENTLY even close to the speed of the most of the current regular guys in the class, based on his training times he would not even sniff the top 25 right now (yes, I realize he is only 15). Maybe it was the shitty underpowered KTM he was riding to blame, who knows.

Austin Black, Derek Kelley, Ty Masterpool, or Preston Kilroy would simply level him in a national race if it were held today. Those guys don't get mentioned here at all, and Ty got the short end on his Star Yamaha tryout.

YES he has potential (so do the racers I listed)

YES he has multiple Loretta's titles ( so did Mike Alessi)

YES he is only 15 and has a steep learning curve ahead of him. He could be the next Villopoto, I dont know. BUT I dont know of any rider who got so much from showing so little on the track.

Downvote me all you want, but from my view Yamaha could be buying a social media darling as opposed to a top performer, I hope I'm wrong.

I sure hope he makes me eat my words, because he is a really nice kid.
10/11/2021 6:10pm
Sully wrote:
[i]"If he "only got on a 250f a few months ago!!!", then why did he get a ride with the most powerful team in motocross?"[/i] I'm...
"If he "only got on a 250f a few months ago!!!", then why did he get a ride with the most powerful team in motocross?"

I'm curious if you had this kind of animosity when AC moved from superminis to the most powerful 250 team in motocross (at the time)? Or any of the current pros who had solid 250f amateur deals right when they got off mini bikes? Your issue seems to be more with his name and popularity, and that dislike seems to be clouding your ability to see that Haiden has as solid a pedigree as any of the high profile amateurs that came before him.
Brent wrote:
Adam Cianciarulo was as fast or faster than the leaders in the class when he turned professional. he won the first supercross he entered. Haiden Deegan...
Adam Cianciarulo was as fast or faster than the leaders in the class when he turned professional. he won the first supercross he entered.

Haiden Deegan is exceptionally fast and talented, but he is not CURRENTLY even close to the speed of the most of the current regular guys in the class, based on his training times he would not even sniff the top 25 right now (yes, I realize he is only 15). Maybe it was the shitty underpowered KTM he was riding to blame, who knows.

Austin Black, Derek Kelley, Ty Masterpool, or Preston Kilroy would simply level him in a national race if it were held today. Those guys don't get mentioned here at all, and Ty got the short end on his Star Yamaha tryout.

YES he is only 15 and has a steep learning curve ahead of him. He could be the next Villopoto, I dont know. BUT I dont know of any rider who got so much from showing so little on the track.

Downvote me all you want, but from my view Yamaha could be buying a social media darling as opposed to a top performer, I hope I'm wrong.

He’s been on a 250f for like 5 mins? Why not give him a chance at least I’m sure with time he will get up to speed?!
DonM
10/11/2021 6:10pm
Sully wrote:

Brent wrote:
Adam Cianciarulo was as fast or faster than the leaders in the class when he turned professional. he won the first supercross he entered. Haiden Deegan...

How do you know that he won’t be as fast or faster when he does turn pro? Do you think AC was weeks after stepping on a 250F off of a supermini? He has literally been a 250f for 6 weeks…to expect him to have the speed of the top ten in the 250 pro class now is expecting a little much if you ask me…TBH I’m a little surprised by your opinion
APLMAN99
10/11/2021 6:17pm
Sully wrote:

Brent wrote:

AC was 17+ when he first raced SX, and then he rode over his head enough to miss the next two SX seasons after that first one.

Judging Deegan’s current speed isn’t quite a reasonable comparison given that it sounds like he will be spending the next 2 seasons in amateurs before going pro.
10/11/2021 6:27pm
McG194 wrote:
Sometimes people should really re-read stuff before they hit send. You're telling me that you are shocked that a kid who is 15 years old doesn't...
Sometimes people should really re-read stuff before they hit send.

You're telling me that you are shocked that a kid who is 15 years old doesn't have the speed of a Supercross champion and a 250 outdoor national champion? This just in, water is wet.
Brent wrote:
No, I'm not telling anyone I'm "shocked". Don't put words in my mouth. And, Ken Roczen was winning Grand Prix races at 15, so it's not...
No, I'm not telling anyone I'm "shocked".

Don't put words in my mouth.

And, Ken Roczen was winning Grand Prix races at 15, so it's not unheard of.

All I'm saying is that he gets a lot of press for a rider that has yet to see his true potential. I hope he kills it eventually.

There are other riders with his skill and roughy his age level who have a different last name that I don't see a lot of Hoopla about here.
McG194 wrote:
[i]"in my opinion he still needs more time to reach true pro level speed of the top 10 250 riders, he was roughly 8 to 10...
"in my opinion he still needs more time to reach true pro level speed of the top 10 250 riders, he was roughly 8 to 10 seconds a lap slower than Justin Cooper and Jett Lawrence"

Those are your exact words. He has never even lined up an raced a 250 so of course he would be off the pace.

My best advice to you is when you find yourself in a hole stop digging.
Lol
Brent
10/11/2021 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2021 7:48pm
DonM wrote:
How do you know that he won’t be as fast or faster when he does turn pro? Do you think AC was weeks after stepping on...
How do you know that he won’t be as fast or faster when he does turn pro? Do you think AC was weeks after stepping on a 250F off of a supermini? He has literally been a 250f for 6 weeks…to expect him to have the speed of the top ten in the 250 pro class now is expecting a little much if you ask me…TBH I’m a little surprised by your opinion
Haiden has been riding a 250F since April 2021, at least that's what I have seen here locally.

Did you mean 6 months instead of six weeks?
m21racing
10/11/2021 7:24pm
Star Yamaha is the sport's juggernaut right now. They're doing well. Maybe their success will motivate other sponsors to enter the sport.
10/11/2021 7:29pm
MC752 wrote:
Nice ride for the kid. For Romano, I believe you are bumped to the A class for the next year if you get top 5 in...
Nice ride for the kid. For Romano, I believe you are bumped to the A class for the next year if you get top 5 in the B class at Loretta's. Maybe its changed.
Yea that’s true but he wouldn’t have to
Move up for mini o’s. They let you finish the year in the class. With that said I would be shocked if he didn’t move up for MO.
Sully
10/11/2021 7:33pm
Sully wrote:

Brent wrote:

I didn't say anything about when AC turned pro, I said when he moved from super minis to 250s. As many have stated before, comparing him to the current top 10 pros now, and not when they transitioned off of minis and on to big bikes is being disingenuous.

I'm not saying he's the second coming, or that he's a shoe-in for every championship he contends, but to pretend he got this ride (or the KTM ride, for that matter) just because of his name and social media presence, and not because of his talent and work ethic is insulting to him, and to Star.
Crush
10/11/2021 7:47pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Still not sure what "this sort of shit" you are referring to that would "have the amateur industry rethink the method". This appears to actually validate...
Still not sure what "this sort of shit" you are referring to that would "have the amateur industry rethink the method".

This appears to actually validate that method. It seems that the 'amateur industry' helped make an opportunity for a young racer get exposure and support for more than just a year at a time and with a very competitive team as well.

For the life of me, I am truly not sure what you are unhappy about or what you are referring to as "this sort of shit".
This sort of shit – invest huge money at an amateur level, starting on 80s, and have something happen that doesn't validate that investment – in this case, him signing elsewhere before turning Pro, OR as has happened many times before injuries, drugs, burn out, just not pan out, shit results etc

Sure, in Deegan's case, KTM got marketing value out of it, but that's not the norm either, no other kids have his marketing ROI pull, and it's crazy to suggest KTM wouldn't have at least wanted to see it turn into something more at the Pro level...

If you want to point to Deegan right now and say it makes sense for this level of investment to continue as the model for amateurs, it's not hard to point out the other side being the countless others who didn't work... just look at the historical Horizon award list, how many of those didn't work out... and then think that each year there would be another 2–4 kids on other brands who had similar investment... and yet the titles are won by a select few, and often those we didn't see coming or who didn't have that investment.
10/11/2021 8:15pm
Moto520 wrote:
I just want to know what he thinks of the bike. Pros and cons vs the KTM.....you know....dirt bike stuff.
I would agree, but I don't believe you would be getting the straight truth...
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
10/11/2021 8:27pm
Sully wrote:

Brent wrote:

Why do you insist on comparing someone who won’t turn pro for two years to the current group of pros? It makes no sense. You just sound butt hurt cause he gets a lot of attention. Something they spent a long time cultivating so if his pro career doesn’t work out he has a trove of other options.
10/11/2021 8:43pm
Zycki11 wrote:
The thicker aspect I think is overplayed. Personally, I can grab a Yamaha and grip it better between the knees more than a ktm
Funny, that’s exactly what Eli said in his interview by Pulp/Matthes…
toroP
10/11/2021 8:48pm
McG194 wrote:
Sometimes people should really re-read stuff before they hit send. You're telling me that you are shocked that a kid who is 15 years old doesn't...
Sometimes people should really re-read stuff before they hit send.

You're telling me that you are shocked that a kid who is 15 years old doesn't have the speed of a Supercross champion and a 250 outdoor national champion? This just in, water is wet.
Brent wrote:
No, I'm not telling anyone I'm "shocked". Don't put words in my mouth. And, Ken Roczen was winning Grand Prix races at 15, so it's not...
No, I'm not telling anyone I'm "shocked".

Don't put words in my mouth.

And, Ken Roczen was winning Grand Prix races at 15, so it's not unheard of.

All I'm saying is that he gets a lot of press for a rider that has yet to see his true potential. I hope he kills it eventually.

There are other riders with his skill and roughy his age level who have a different last name that I don't see a lot of Hoopla about here.
McG194 wrote:
[i]"in my opinion he still needs more time to reach true pro level speed of the top 10 250 riders, he was roughly 8 to 10...
"in my opinion he still needs more time to reach true pro level speed of the top 10 250 riders, he was roughly 8 to 10 seconds a lap slower than Justin Cooper and Jett Lawrence"

Those are your exact words. He has never even lined up an raced a 250 so of course he would be off the pace.

My best advice to you is when you find yourself in a hole stop digging.
He’s right. He did not say he was shocked. Thanks for supplying the quote to show you’re misrepresenting him. Good work.
You told him to stop digging because you need his shovel, right?
kage173
10/11/2021 9:05pm
Good for him. I'm looking forward to see him in the mix when it's time.
C.Worthy
10/11/2021 9:18pm
Brent wrote:

Why do you keep comparing Haiden to current pros?
He’s not a professional rider. You realize he is an AMATEUR right? So comparing an amateur to a pro makes no sense even if you’re basing it strictly off bike size or age. He’s also not going pro tomorrow, the next day, or even the next few years! It would make more sense to compare him to other 15 year old amateurs. And lap times mean nothing, you should know that. Everyone is always only a few seconds off on practice.

It sort of smells like you have something against the Kid and if you don’t then your comparisons are pretty apples to oranges.

Oh and don’t worry they’ll race Ryder D when it’s time. They’ll get there LaughingLaughingLaughing
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
10/11/2021 9:21pm
I find it interesting the miss the 125 , I would have thought if marketing and selling bikes was the main reason to sign him the all new yz125 would have been a perfect fit

It Will be interesting to see if Evan ferry’s year on a 125 becomes beneficial this year ,

Interesting times coming in the next few years , see Deegan and ferry came up later recently as the big names of amateurs , where Ryder d and jett reynolds have been on the pro circuit kawi path does a while fron Titles on 65s
js451
10/11/2021 9:31pm
I heard Ktm kicked him out because he piddled on the seat
Sandusky26
10/11/2021 10:02pm
He’s gonna read some of these comments and think “fuck these guys”
Overcusser
10/11/2021 11:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2021 11:22pm
surprised they made him switch to Bell helmets. I feel like safety equipment like that is 99.95% fit and personal preference.
Sully
10/11/2021 11:38pm
Overcusser wrote:
surprised they made him switch to Bell helmets. I feel like safety equipment like that is 99.95% fit and personal preference.
I’m pretty sure Bell is a team sponsor for the 250 guys, so no getting around it.
Overcusser
10/12/2021 12:49am
Overcusser wrote:
Sully wrote:
I’m pretty sure Bell is a team sponsor for the 250 guys, so no getting around it.
just seems like you're opening yourself up to a nasty lawsuit if a rider prefers a helmet, is forced to wear another brand, and ends up getting injured. You would never see the Dallas Cowboys say you can only wear the Riddell Speedflex, for instance.
shuggs
10/12/2021 3:27am
No, if I had the option I would 100% go with Pro Circuit. The opportunity to work with Mitch Payton and crew would be too hard...
No, if I had the option I would 100% go with Pro Circuit. The opportunity to work with Mitch Payton and crew would be too hard to pass up.
This!! The KID has got 2 years to enhance his skills before the reality of being a pro hits. I would have hoped that pro circuit would have major input to help him develop, plus would have been able to keep monster as a personal sponsor

Post a reply to: Deegan Signs with Star

The Latest