8/9/2017 8:29 AM

Who was number 29? Thanks in advance

|

8/9/2017 8:38 AM

John Banks on Cheney BSA.

|

www.robkinsey.com
http://robkinseyart.wordpress.com
Accountant's only look at the bottom line, whereas an Artist see's it all!

8/9/2017 9:05 AM

Anybody here ever race in real leather Motocross pants?

|

8/9/2017 9:08 AM

Stoneface wrote:

When I first started riding in 89 or so, I started with my dad's Full Bore boots, leather pants, and some pinhole jerseys from the 70's shops that he rode for. Those pants were hot as ---- in the summer. Probably worse in the 70's with a scorching hot air cooled motor underneath...

|

8/9/2017 9:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2017 9:39 AM

Stoneface wrote:

I still have a pair of the DeCoster replica Hallman leathers that I wore when I was around 14 or 15. I can still remember how hot those things were in the summer!

I also had the replica jersey, Hallman chest protector, Hallman gloves, Barufaldi goggles AND visor, Jofa mouth guard, Yellow Bell helmet and Hi-Point boots. Yes, he was my hero!

|

8/9/2017 10:37 AM

I still have some JT Yamaha real leather pants. Pretty good condition.

|

8/9/2017 11:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2017 11:20 AM

I know not many Americans raced GP's back then but I see #15 with an American style helmet....is this taken at Carlsbad?

Another question: how many C class racers could jump that gate today?

|

8/9/2017 11:18 AM

Stoneface wrote:

Yes, when I started riding in 1976 my first set were real leathers with the hip pads sewn on the outside, with a matching "exposed film" Yamaha jersey, just like bob Hannah's ...

|

8/9/2017 11:21 AM

Stoneface wrote:

Still have my first ever pair. Early Seventies vintage.

|

8/9/2017 11:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2017 11:38 AM

A Great picture.

14 - Arne Kring or Bengt Aberg? - Other - Gunnar Lindstrom?

15 - Skunk Stripe Helmet - which Yank is that? Lower leg of forks look like Betors - Pomeroy?

29 - Big John Banks. He and Rocket Rex throwing punches after a prang together one year is a bit of a legend.

Decoster never won (the GP) at Carlsbad, I think. I remember a headline in MXA from a later year at Carlsbad with "I am Damned here" attributed to Decoster. To my dim recollection, things always seemed to bite him in the arse there, and Gerrit Wolsink just hammered at Carlsbad.

Raced in real leathers - hell yes! I raced on my big brothers license, and was very underage. Plus, the ACU in Australia fought tooth and nail to slow the progress of nylons. I think I've got a shriveled pair - with my brothers name on them - somewhere in my workshop. I think I still used them when Gaston Rahier came to Australia.

|

8/9/2017 11:27 AM

Stoneface wrote:

You bet...my last pair let go around 81. Sewn in pads etc. I should have had them repaired but....

|

8/9/2017 11:39 AM

Yeah 1 question...why you hate on stew all those years for MXDN

Now no one cares if thy go...didn't go unnoticed bro

#nopostdungeyplan

|

8/9/2017 11:42 AM

reynardfan1 wrote:

#nopostdungeyplan

You talkin to me?

|

8/9/2017 11:44 AM

Yes and lace-up lineman boots.

And a helmet with no visior.

|

8/9/2017 11:45 AM

reynardfan1 wrote:

#nopostdungeyplan

Forty wrote:

You talkin to me?

Nope...talkin to decoster

|

8/9/2017 12:33 PM

reynardfan1 wrote:

#nopostdungeyplan

Forty wrote:

You talkin to me?

reynardfan1 wrote:

Nope...talkin to decoster

I remember a quote by Gibby in racerx a while back. It went something like,,,, 'Don't ask DeCoster a question unless you're ready for a real answer.' I don't know what you think the answer is but, I doubt you will like it in any case.

|

8/9/2017 12:46 PM

Stoneface wrote:

Yep.

|

8/9/2017 3:11 PM

Forty wrote: Photo
Steve French photo

RESPECT THE MAN.
That's a classic photo.

|

8/9/2017 4:45 PM

Stoneface wrote:

Yes, when I started I had Bill Walters leather motocross pants. They had a big "BW" on the back. Some people claimed that stood for "Butt Wipe".

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

8/9/2017 4:51 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

I know not many Americans raced GP's back then but I see #15 with an American style helmet....is this taken at Carlsbad?

This looks like 1973 Carlsbad USGP. #15 has what looks like Betor forks from the sliders. That would mean a Bultaco. Jim Pomeroy was running the 250 MXGP's but he could have raced the Carlsbad 500 USGP as a one off event.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

8/9/2017 5:11 PM

Still have my first pair too, 1978 vintage.

Photo

Photo

|

He not busy being born is busy dying.

8/9/2017 5:13 PM

Real mx'rs don't use bar pads. On a serious note....Cool pic.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

8/9/2017 6:39 PM

Stoneface wrote:

Reese95w wrote:

Yes, when I started I had Bill Walters leather motocross pants. They had a big "BW" on the back. Some people claimed that stood for "Butt Wipe".

I think I still have red dye stains on my legs from my last pair of Bill Walters from the late 70s.

|

8/9/2017 7:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2017 7:09 PM

Stoneface wrote:

Yep. Had a pair of blue/yellow Hallman pants. I always thought the custom black leather Hallman "ABH" pants with the red & yellow stripes that DeCoster wore were the coolest things ever!

Btw...was #14 Bengt Aberg on that line behind Banks on the Husky?

|

8/9/2017 7:46 PM

l started racing in '75 wearing leather pants, switched to nylon pants in '81; it felt like riding naked !

|

Melbourne, Australia. Current rides: '11 RMZ450, '84 CR500, '06 DRZ400, '79 KX250 with 400 engine, '06 GSXR1000 full Yosh racebike.

8/9/2017 8:34 PM

My first pants were the Hallman leathers made by the Halversson Brothers. The Rolf Tibblin desert racer model. Next came a set of Lancer leathers. Still have the Halversson pants.

|

The older I get...the less I can remember about how much faster I was....

8/9/2017 8:45 PM

Photo

|

8/9/2017 9:10 PM

Any questions?
Photo

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

8/9/2017 11:32 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

Reese95w wrote:

This looks like 1973 Carlsbad USGP. #15 has what looks like Betor forks from the sliders. That would mean a Bultaco. Jim Pomeroy was running the 250 MXGP's but he could have raced the Carlsbad 500 USGP as a one off event.

Pomeroy was there in 1973, according to . . . wait for it . . . Sports Illustrated's Article on the race, which says that 50K people attended on a blazing hot day.

Another angle--:
Photo

Pomeroy did not, as they say, get a start in the moto below (look in the back). But he managed to wave the flag and satisfy his factory and show Americans what an American GP winner looked like up close.:

Photo

|