Decline to ride for your country for no good reason, forced to sit out your next home nations?

Prejump
10/2/2017 6:15am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 12:02pm
As a fan of motocross, I love to see the best race. This cant happen regularly as there are 2 major series which run a separate agenda. So the only time fans will get the chance is one wk end a year at the nations. This is one of the best factors of the wk end for me.

I think it is an honor to represent your country, you are crediting the sport of motocross & the industry that supports it.

Riders like ET that have no medical reason not to go, just basically cant be arsed should face some sort of consequences.

An idea might be to say ok you don't want to do it, so next time it's in your country your not eligible. So you cant just cherry pick the easy logistic one's in your career.

At the end of the day I wanna see the best guys step up in future.

|
twotwosix
10/2/2017 6:19am
As retarded as this is, I LIKE IT!
pete24
10/2/2017 6:21am
i like it too
i realize they are training hard, but its thier job and they are paid well for it
at my job i get one week off a year
philG
10/2/2017 6:34am
All Day Long

The Shop

NP301
10/2/2017 6:35am
As said before, It maybe stupid, but I like it.
PRM31
10/2/2017 6:36am
And Cole Seely...

And Zach O...

Forced to sit out?? I doubt it, but at least a mild drubbing the fans is appropriate.
Red141
10/2/2017 6:48am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 6:50am
Bitter much? This is America where we all have freedom of choice. Right, wrong or indifferent, we have choice.
kkawboy14
10/2/2017 6:53am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 7:22am
Didn't Dean Wilson race the same amount of races this year as Eli Tomac ?
Yeah but his motos were a lot slower!
10/2/2017 7:00am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 7:00am
Didn't Dean Wilson race the same amount of races this year as Eli Tomac ?
kkawboy14 wrote:
Yeah but his motos were a lot slower!
Ha ha true but in the early part of the season he was driving to the races as apposed to Eli jumping on a plane.
twotwosix
10/2/2017 7:04am
Ha ha true but in the early part of the season he was driving to the races as apposed to Eli jumping on a plane.
It's just too much to ask a millionaire in his 20's to work 50 weeks out of the year guys...
NP301
10/2/2017 7:08am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 7:08am
Red141 wrote:
Bitter much? This is America where we all have freedom of choice. Right, wrong or indifferent, we have choice.
And the team has the right to penalize riders who hinder their country from performing to it's best. If Eli wants to live here great, but if he doesn't want to represent our country after asked, and has no valid reason for not wanting to other than to rest. Then he should be not allowed to ride the following year, whether he wants to or not. Period.
Crush
10/2/2017 7:10am
A. How often would the next home nations be an issue for anyone.

B. What damage happens if you send another team of not your best and USA doesn't win at home? Fuckin pack it up.

C. This is really about the sponsors. Why the fuck does Monster want Eli at the USGPs? Does anyone give a fuck he won or lost it?
JRT812
10/2/2017 7:13am
Might be a little harsh
RandyS
10/2/2017 7:14am
I like it, seems like I've heard that idea somewhere before Wink
APLMAN99
10/2/2017 7:16am
Prejump wrote:
As a fan of motocross, I love to see the best race. This cant happen regularly as there are 2 major series which run a separate...
As a fan of motocross, I love to see the best race. This cant happen regularly as there are 2 major series which run a separate agenda. So the only time fans will get the chance is one wk end a year at the nations. This is one of the best factors of the wk end for me.

I think it is an honor to represent your country, you are crediting the sport of motocross & the industry that supports it.

Riders like ET that have no medical reason not to go, just basically cant be arsed should face some sort of consequences.

An idea might be to say ok you don't want to do it, so next time it's in your country your not eligible. So you cant just cherry pick the easy logistic one's in your career.

At the end of the day I wanna see the best guys step up in future.

10/2/2017 7:18am
Stupid idea IMO. You want to purposely get your arse handed to you at home next year because Tomac, who works harder than any of you seem to have a clue, doesn't want to travel half way around the world after having 60 flights already this year?
jasonward73
10/2/2017 7:27am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 7:30am
What I don't understand is why these top tier guys don't negotiate this into their contract.

For instance.. I get paid XX dollars a year to race XX brand at all SX and MX races (with language included for the bonus structure) for XX seasons.

In addition to the above, I will agree to race the MXDN (also include any other off season race here) if I am selected and as compensation be provided my full race bike, I will receive XX dollars as compensation, and have all travel related costs covered. If the brand/sponsors you ride for don't agree to this and you do get selected you can then push it back to your Sponsor by saying I offered to include this race into my contract and was told no. I don't expect these guys to race for free. They aren't military. They don't have any obligation to defend USA. They are athletes paid to do a job. If they aren't paid, they shouldn't go. Simple. I don't work for free. I doubt any on here would as well.

Another thing I will never understand is why the top tier guys don't stipulate that all air travel will be first class whenever possible. It floors me when I hear that Matthes watches Tomac pass by him on his way to coach seats. Guys like him (and many others) spend hours training their ass off daily, 100s of thousands of dollars on practice tracks, trainers, heavy equipment, etc... But somehow won't spend a few hundred more dollars for a first class ticket. I fly weekly for work and the difference from coach to first class on Delta is rarely more than $200-$300. Even I pay for the upgrade.

And while I am on my rant I will never understand why these guys take the very first flight out the next morning after a race or even worse, the red eye. Why aren't their trainers intervening and saying you have to rest and recover? There is only about a billion studies out there saying that rest is one of the most important components of recovery.
Panic_Rev
10/2/2017 7:30am
pete24 wrote:
i like it too i realize they are training hard, but its thier job and they are paid well for it at my job i get...
i like it too
i realize they are training hard, but its thier job and they are paid well for it
at my job i get one week off a year
It's not his job. His job is to fulfill his contract with team and sponsors. After his job is completed you guys are asking him to take over-time with no pay and risk of career ending injury. How many on this board would take their vacation time to say go volunteer in Puerto Rico right now? Seems like that would be a noble way to spend your vacation time.
10/2/2017 7:30am
It's the Employers they need to put it in the contracts. Good Luck but that's how you get it done but whose to say a "Medical" couldn't pop up?
akillerwombat
10/2/2017 7:31am
A lot of people still this pissed of that the monkey, after years of loyal service to his fans and country, decided it wanted to take a weekend off.
kkawboy14
10/2/2017 7:31am
What I don't understand is why these top tier guys don't negotiate this into their contract. For instance.. I get paid XX dollars a year to...
What I don't understand is why these top tier guys don't negotiate this into their contract.

For instance.. I get paid XX dollars a year to race XX brand at all SX and MX races (with language included for the bonus structure) for XX seasons.

In addition to the above, I will agree to race the MXDN (also include any other off season race here) if I am selected and as compensation be provided my full race bike, I will receive XX dollars as compensation, and have all travel related costs covered. If the brand/sponsors you ride for don't agree to this and you do get selected you can then push it back to your Sponsor by saying I offered to include this race into my contract and was told no. I don't expect these guys to race for free. They aren't military. They don't have any obligation to defend USA. They are athletes paid to do a job. If they aren't paid, they shouldn't go. Simple. I don't work for free. I doubt any on here would as well.

Another thing I will never understand is why the top tier guys don't stipulate that all air travel will be first class whenever possible. It floors me when I hear that Matthes watches Tomac pass by him on his way to coach seats. Guys like him (and many others) spend hours training their ass off daily, 100s of thousands of dollars on practice tracks, trainers, heavy equipment, etc... But somehow won't spend a few hundred more dollars for a first class ticket. I fly weekly for work and the difference from coach to first class on Delta is rarely more than $200-$300. Even I pay for the upgrade.

And while I am on my rant I will never understand why these guys take the very first flight out the next morning after a race or even worse, the red eye. Why aren't their trainers intervening and saying you have to rest and recover? There is only about a billion studies out there saying that rest is one of the most important components of recovery.
My guess is they are negotiating it out of their contract.
YZfan1230
10/2/2017 7:31am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2017 7:33am
Pre jump you're a fucking idiot, Eli said it himself that if the date was different for the race he would've done it. These guys have a 17 week series followed by a 12 week series from January to now. That's 29 weeks of the year they have to be training both physically and mentally. They're paid to get results which is a feat in itself, then many of them have to race off season races. They don't get much of a break, they get maybe 2 weeks of a year off and have to train for all the rest of it while following strict diets and sleeping schedules. So quit your bitching
10/2/2017 7:35am
YZfan1230 wrote:
Pre jump you're a fucking idiot, Eli said it himself that if the date was different for the race he would've done it. These guys have...
Pre jump you're a fucking idiot, Eli said it himself that if the date was different for the race he would've done it. These guys have a 17 week series followed by a 12 week series from January to now. That's 29 weeks of the year they have to be training both physically and mentally. They're paid to get results which is a feat in itself, then many of them have to race off season races. They don't get much of a break, they get maybe 2 weeks of a year off and have to train for all the rest of it while following strict diets and sleeping schedules. So quit your bitching
What's the difference between Eli's schedule & Dean Wilson's & Cole Seely?
ayearinmx
10/2/2017 7:48am
well there won't be a USGP in 2018, so I Eli (or anyone else) won't have do that race
jasonward73
10/2/2017 7:49am
How many championships and win races did Cole or Dean have this year (or in their career) in the big boy class?

Some people have a lot more to lose than to gain by racing additional races.

Cole and Dean weren't expected to dominate at MXDN.... And if they somehow did all that would do is raise their stock..

If Eli did anything but win it would lower his stock.

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!
10/2/2017 7:52am
How many championships and win races did Cole or Dean have this year (or in their career) in the big boy class? Some people have a...
How many championships and win races did Cole or Dean have this year (or in their career) in the big boy class?

Cole and Dean weren't expected to dominate at MXDN.... And if they somehow did all that would do is raise their stock..

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!
So if you're a title contender, you don't have to go? Gotcha.
RandyS
10/2/2017 7:59am
How many championships and win races did Cole or Dean have this year (or in their career) in the big boy class? Some people have a...

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!
The communist countries like Italy and The Netherlands make their riders go, I bet if they lived in a free country they would stay home too.
jasonward73
10/2/2017 8:04am

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!
You don't have to go period. Makes no difference if you're a title contender or not. This is America bro! You know, freedom to choose and all that bullshit.

As I formally said, they have no obligation to go. They aren't military. As far as I know Olympic athletes aren't forced to go either. They decide to try out for olympics.

Of course, if they have Sponsors that make attending the Olympics a required thing to get paid they go to Olympics.

Clearly, the MXDN is not an important event for the rider's Sponsors. If it was, it would be required and included as part of their contract. Matthes has reported (and it was confirmed by several riders) that even the best riders out there end up coming out of pocket several thousand dollars to go race this event. That is ridiculous.

Post a reply to: Decline to ride for your country for no good reason, forced to sit out your next home nations?

The Latest