Dear Glen Helen...

SoCalMX70
5/16/2019 4:55pm
This has been pure entertainment. I hope Glen Helen does this every year. The industry, media guys, and casual fans(?) will cry foul and the local riders will do whatever they want.

To be clear, I don't agree or disagree with Glen Helen... It's just another option for a place to ride next Saturday. That's it. All this drama is just hilarious. Is anyone here actually CANCELLING their Pala plans for Glen Helen now? Bet you'd be hard pressed to find a handful of people. So, who cares, move on.

Also, the guys out there actually riding (you know, buying bikes, gear, parts, and keeping tracks open) are supporting the sport. Change my mind.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
5/16/2019 5:06pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
This has been pure entertainment. I hope Glen Helen does this every year. The industry, media guys, and casual fans(?) will cry foul and the local...
This has been pure entertainment. I hope Glen Helen does this every year. The industry, media guys, and casual fans(?) will cry foul and the local riders will do whatever they want.

To be clear, I don't agree or disagree with Glen Helen... It's just another option for a place to ride next Saturday. That's it. All this drama is just hilarious. Is anyone here actually CANCELLING their Pala plans for Glen Helen now? Bet you'd be hard pressed to find a handful of people. So, who cares, move on.

Also, the guys out there actually riding (you know, buying bikes, gear, parts, and keeping tracks open) are supporting the sport. Change my mind.
I don't know dude I heard 1,000 people were going
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
648th
5/16/2019 5:11pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
This has been pure entertainment. I hope Glen Helen does this every year. The industry, media guys, and casual fans(?) will cry foul and the local...

sumdood wrote:
I don't know dude I heard 1,000 people were going
yeah, that's like 850000 that pala will be losing.
APLMAN99
5/16/2019 5:23pm
RexEasely wrote:
I'm disappointed in you. Also, if You lived here you could ride GH any given weekend or Thursday. National in person is once a year. I...
I'm disappointed in you. Also, if
You lived here you could ride GH
any given weekend or Thursday. National in person is once a year. I thought you were CORE.
APLMAN99 wrote:
CORE isn't spectating, it's riding. The most CORE riders I've ever known probably couldn't tell you who won last year's titles.
RexEasely wrote:
Here I go disagreeing with the most intelligent guy on the board.....To me CORE is being consumed with the sport. Jeff builds bikes, rides, spectates at...
Here I go disagreeing with the most intelligent guy on the board.....To me CORE is being consumed with the sport. Jeff builds bikes, rides, spectates at Shougal and PIR, watches on tv and does the message board thing. He lives and breathes moto. He is a CORE enthusiast? Should I put it that way?
Obviously the first part of your post isn't true.....

But the rest of it is good discussion. Jeffro has always struck me as more of a "core" participant than a "core" spectator, and I consider an enthusiast to be more of a participant. A spectator is more of a fan, at least to me.

Obviously Jeffro has some level of both enthusiast and fan in him, but to me the CORE of the sport tend to be more about themselves, family, and friends racing and riding more than watching the pros. Again, other opinions may vary.

I don't ride any more after my kids didn't develop the passion for it, so I'd never consider myself CORE even if I attended every National and SX race within 2,000 miles of me. That'd make me a huge fan of the show, though.

The Shop

500guy
5/16/2019 5:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2019 6:44pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Obviously the first part of your post isn't true..... But the rest of it is good discussion. Jeffro has always struck me as more of a...
Obviously the first part of your post isn't true.....

But the rest of it is good discussion. Jeffro has always struck me as more of a "core" participant than a "core" spectator, and I consider an enthusiast to be more of a participant. A spectator is more of a fan, at least to me.

Obviously Jeffro has some level of both enthusiast and fan in him, but to me the CORE of the sport tend to be more about themselves, family, and friends racing and riding more than watching the pros. Again, other opinions may vary.

I don't ride any more after my kids didn't develop the passion for it, so I'd never consider myself CORE even if I attended every National and SX race within 2,000 miles of me. That'd make me a huge fan of the show, though.
To me Glen Helen is doing a good thing for the wrong reason.

I doubt Tom White's family is happy about them doing this. ( I bet they are not)

Also these guy's https://highhopes.ws/ do not have the event on their calendar so they obviously don't know about it.

I hope 10,000 people show up and someone accounts for the money to make sure it even gets where it's promised.

5/16/2019 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2019 5:48pm
You can ride Glen Helen several times a year. The National is hosted once a year.

I'm not from California but I'd rather go to watch my favourite riders at their peak and watch some damn good racing and go ride Glen Helen a week or two later.

But I live in a small town in Wales so I cant do either Sad *cries*
Casting
5/16/2019 5:52pm
This isn't good for the sport.

Mr Info can you get them to abort this? Shouldn't be anything they aren't used to.
APLMAN99
5/16/2019 5:54pm
You can ride Glen Helen several times a year. The National is hosted once a year. I'm not from California but I'd rather go to watch...
You can ride Glen Helen several times a year. The National is hosted once a year.

I'm not from California but I'd rather go to watch my favourite riders at their peak and watch some damn good racing and go ride Glen Helen a week or two later.

But I live in a small town in Wales so I cant do either Sad *cries*
Nothing is stopping anyone from going to the National and people are free to donate the $10 "entry donation" that Glen Helen would donate if they would have ridden.

As I said earlier, problem solved.
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
5/16/2019 6:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2019 6:39pm
What no one is complaining about Chaparral providing the free lunch?
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
5/16/2019 7:15pm
I don't think that anyone is crying foul that GH will be open on the same Saturday as the National at Pala, it's the fact that they are using Tom White's good name as a prop for flipping Mx Sports off.

Tom would have much rather had this happen when everyone he loved in this industry could have been a part of the event, not some half assed divisive event on the same day as the national he fought very hard for to be back at GH.
Bob_Ryan
5/16/2019 7:37pm
I assume most people on this thread do not know what the actual facts/friction is all about to begin with. I only know what I have read about Bud Feldkamp and Glen Helen. I will assume that there is much more to the story that people in the know could tell us. I hate that this happens in our sport but just knowing that there is a rub does make it seem suspicious. There is nothing wrong with choices or opinions but common sense from the little amount I know of the situation tells me that the intent to be petty by GH is certainly prominent
swtwtwtw
5/16/2019 7:39pm
MrInfo, I agree. I’m not driving 3 hours for a shit show ( did that at Elsinore). I suppose by most guys responses, one ought to make the trek to Prairie City to support Hangtown. BS, if Mx sports doesn’t spend the bucks getting the San Diego area residents and enthusiasts to show up, it’s on them. Put on a national at one of my local tracks and keep it affordable and I might show. All the nationals, GPs and international races I’ve been to have relied upon locals as their primary spectators.
Still I’d rather ride than watch any day. glen helen’s Deal just might get me to stop there and ride instead of my usual MilestoneMX or PerrisMX.
OLDMOTO
5/16/2019 7:48pm
I wonder if DC will take his race and go somewhere else next year? Sounds like he can make a lot more money holding it somewhere else. Much higher attendance and ticket prices out side of California. People outside of CA must not care about being treated badly. Seems like he had portrayed him self as a victim of Glenn Helen and the evil Mr. Feldcamp. I don't think we will ever get the truth from his media group. Funny how similar this has become to Mr. Luongo in Europe.
Rocket88
5/16/2019 7:59pm
I'm heading to the store to get more tinfoil. Can I get you guys anything?
Johnny Depp
5/16/2019 8:14pm
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but.. It seems like the 2 Big Dog Promoters (Bud and DC) having a tussle. What's new?
CalRMX
5/17/2019 12:35am
OLDMOTO wrote:
I wonder if DC will take his race and go somewhere else next year? Sounds like he can make a lot more money holding it somewhere...
I wonder if DC will take his race and go somewhere else next year? Sounds like he can make a lot more money holding it somewhere else. Much higher attendance and ticket prices out side of California. People outside of CA must not care about being treated badly. Seems like he had portrayed him self as a victim of Glenn Helen and the evil Mr. Feldcamp. I don't think we will ever get the truth from his media group. Funny how similar this has become to Mr. Luongo in Europe.
The rumour mill is saying there's going to be a race in Mexico, just south of the border in Baja
PBRvince
Fantasy
2162nd
5/17/2019 5:39am
Dumbgeon
scrallex
5/17/2019 8:24am
It doesn't make sense to organize a charity event on the same day that a large percentage of your target demographic would be at a separate, previously scheduled event. It would make more sense to hold it the day after, that way all the people attending said event would have an option to keep their weekend going as well as help a good cause. It would drive more people there and multiply the effectiveness of the said charity event.

But that's not what this charity event is about, huh?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
5/17/2019 8:29am
scrallex wrote:
It doesn't make sense to organize a charity event on the same day that a large percentage of your target demographic would be at a separate...
It doesn't make sense to organize a charity event on the same day that a large percentage of your target demographic would be at a separate, previously scheduled event. It would make more sense to hold it the day after, that way all the people attending said event would have an option to keep their weekend going as well as help a good cause. It would drive more people there and multiply the effectiveness of the said charity event.

But that's not what this charity event is about, huh?
Correct, this is not a charity event. It is a petty middle finger to Pala and MX Sports, the "charity" aspect is just a force field because they knew there would be criticism.
racerxx276
5/17/2019 8:30am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2019 8:52am
Alas, I won't be going to either events, too far away. However I enjoy the heck out of riding Glen Helen when I get a chance to. Its too bad the staff that runs the place is so disconnected to how a track should be run and set up.

I don't think I'll be back until they change the first turn. It used to be big and wide. Now WTF are they thinking ??
70 mph into a 5 wide turn.. really? In another year it will be singletrack!

Mr. Info
5/17/2019 8:48am
It was done cause Saturday has no events scheduled for any of the tracks. Sunday they have events scheduled. Does it matter how much money is raised, I am sure they will accept the donations. What’s petty is bitching about it. If your going to the National don’t change your mind and please go and support it. Glen Helen having a charity ride day will not affect the National in any way except for those that already dislike Glen Helen and that’s your right but this post has exposed the negatives of people who choose not to attend and why.
The general public has not heard anything about changes to make it more fan friendly getting in or viewing or leaving. That’s what should have been posted instead of negative post from both sides.
Glen Helen has never said 1 negative about the National at Pala or told people not to attend it just gave an option if you choose not to and giving to a great cause High Hope and a chance to hang with riding buddies and watch the National.
Enjoy the Pala National wherever you choose to watch. The best place to watch a National is to be there and experience it live.
early
Fantasy
2139th
5/17/2019 9:03am
June 22 and 29 would be pretty good days to have a charity event.

Matthes
5/17/2019 11:47am
Good to know that Tom White’s family had nothing to do with this and asked Glen Helen to take his name off the charity aspect of this. Tom wouldn’t have wanted his name behind something this transparent.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
5/17/2019 11:52am
Matthes wrote:
Good to know that Tom White’s family had nothing to do with this and asked Glen Helen to take his name off the charity aspect of...
Good to know that Tom White’s family had nothing to do with this and asked Glen Helen to take his name off the charity aspect of this. Tom wouldn’t have wanted his name behind something this transparent.
ShockedShockedWoohooWoohoo
5/17/2019 5:10pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Well you did just advertise their event.
GuyB wrote:
It would be hard to explain if I didn’t.

I’m a fan of the charity component, but the date? I can’t get behind that.
I agree, poor taste to use a charity event to grind an axe with MXSports. IMO Glen Helen has some legitimate gripes with MXSports, but this is very petty and has me rethinking my position on the subject. With that said, I hope they get a good turnout and raise lots of money for a good cause.
Sully
5/17/2019 5:48pm
Mr. Info wrote:
It was done cause Saturday has no events scheduled for any of the tracks. Sunday they have events scheduled. Does it matter how much money is...
It was done cause Saturday has no events scheduled for any of the tracks. Sunday they have events scheduled. Does it matter how much money is raised, I am sure they will accept the donations. What’s petty is bitching about it. If your going to the National don’t change your mind and please go and support it. Glen Helen having a charity ride day will not affect the National in any way except for those that already dislike Glen Helen and that’s your right but this post has exposed the negatives of people who choose not to attend and why.
The general public has not heard anything about changes to make it more fan friendly getting in or viewing or leaving. That’s what should have been posted instead of negative post from both sides.
Glen Helen has never said 1 negative about the National at Pala or told people not to attend it just gave an option if you choose not to and giving to a great cause High Hope and a chance to hang with riding buddies and watch the National.
Enjoy the Pala National wherever you choose to watch. The best place to watch a National is to be there and experience it live.
"Does it matter how much money is raised..."

You don't understand how charity events work, do you?

I'll say it again, you should probably steer clear of threads like this, because you don't do yourself, or your employer any favors when you post.
kkawboy14
5/18/2019 5:54am
Since each entity is only interested in their interests (Outdoor Mx as well is only interested in their own interests).....

It seems a smart business move by the track! Plus they are showing the race if you want to watch it!

Pros do very little for the survival of a local track of any kind!
5/18/2019 7:11am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Since each entity is only interested in their interests (Outdoor Mx as well is only interested in their own interests)..... It seems a smart business move...
Since each entity is only interested in their interests (Outdoor Mx as well is only interested in their own interests).....

It seems a smart business move by the track! Plus they are showing the race if you want to watch it!

the smartest, ethical business move would've been to do the event on Sunday, so the proceeds aren't split in any way by either venue.. Which is common sense. Either you're bright enough to get this or not. Unfortunately a few people in this thread fall into the unevolved category of "not getting it"
kkawboy14
5/18/2019 7:17am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2019 7:17am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Since each entity is only interested in their interests (Outdoor Mx as well is only interested in their own interests)..... It seems a smart business move...

the smartest, ethical business move would've been to do the event on Sunday, so the proceeds aren't split in any way by either venue.. Which is...
the smartest, ethical business move would've been to do the event on Sunday, so the proceeds aren't split in any way by either venue.. Which is common sense. Either you're bright enough to get this or not. Unfortunately a few people in this thread fall into the unevolved category of "not getting it"
I’m a Business man with 2 companies that I built from the ground up, along with 1 patent that I created.
I’m not saying I’m smart but I get why they are doing what they are doing.
Even smarter would be to do it on Saturday and Sunday, with a discount if you show up both days!
Motoxdoc
5/18/2019 7:22am
Since I live on the other side of the country I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can see there being room for...
Since I live on the other side of the country I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can see there being room for both events. I don't think the Glen Helen "event" is going to draw away too many folks from the Nat, but I have no crystal ball and really have no idea. I guess we'll find out in a few days.

You all out there are spoiled. We haven't had a national anywhere near here for decades now. I will definitely be at WW no matter what else is going on.

Personally, I do feel this is Bud trying to give DC & MX Sports a giant middle-finger, so I hereby award him...

How many of you have 5-6 SX’s/Nationals/international MX events within a 90 minute drive? How many of you have spent 3 ½ hours to drive to and get into a Pala national when it takes half that time to drive the same distance and get into a Glen Helen national? How many of you know that you can see 80-90% of the Glen Helen track from many different viewpoints whereas you’re lucky to see one straight and a jump at Pala? How many of you can ride all morning long with your friends at a bitchin ass world-class track then watch the Pala national on a big screen with a bunch of like-minded MX fans? So are so cal fans “spoiled”?...Yes…Do they have good reason to be?...IMO, absafuckinglutely! Anyone who thinks Bud is bad for our sport doesn’t know him well, or at all. I don’t look at this as raining on Pala’s parade or giving them a "giant middle finger" as much as Bud taking care of his loyal patrons. But everyone is entitled to their opinions. At least Bud doesn’t espouse his believe in “our lord” while making up a fictiious “angry dummy award”!

Post a reply to: Dear Glen Helen...

The Latest