Dear Glen Helen...

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
5/15/2019 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2020 5:54pm
If you want to do So. Cal. moto fans a real favor, reschedule this onto a weekend that’s not the same as a national you used to host. It makes you look very petty.

We are excited to announce Glen Helen Fan Appreciation Free Practice day
Saturday May 25, 2019
Includes free practice with a $10 donation and all proceeds go to
High Hopes Head Injury Foundation - A Tom White favorite charity

Also includes FREE Catered Lunch Courtesy of Chaparral Motorsports

JoJo's Grill-A-Dog 11:30 - 1:30
Although Glen Helen isn’t hosting the 2019 MX National, we will be watching it live in the World Famous Glen Helen Museum from 1pm-5pm.
All Tracks will be open, National, Vet/REM, Peewee and Stadiumcross Tracks 8am-2pm. Additionally, UTV Trail Ride (6 mile course) 3pm-7pm.
Must have helmets for everyone in UTV.
|
gnarwhip
5/15/2019 6:48pm
I’d go to that. Better than sitting in one lane traffic for several hours trying to get into Pala, then being told there’s no more parking and you have to turn around and drive home. That’s what happened to me when Pala held the national.
mauidex
5/15/2019 6:50pm
Kudos GuyB for speaking out. But really would you expect anything else from the sour grapes bunch?!?!?
ATKpilot99
5/15/2019 6:51pm
Well you did just advertise their event.

The Shop

ccstrebe
5/15/2019 6:52pm
Actually, in my opinion, they are not being petty, they are doing the So Cal moto fans a solid. You couldn’t pay me to go to Pala to watch a national.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
5/15/2019 6:54pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
It would be hard to explain if I didn’t.

I’m a fan of the charity component, but the date? I can’t get behind that.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
5/15/2019 7:00pm
Sunday would have been an AMAZING day to hold it. Even open the place up to camping for the weekend and let people go to the race and come back and rip in the morning.
wisey
Fantasy
1457th
5/15/2019 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2019 8:06pm
ATKpilot99
5/15/2019 7:01pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
It would be hard to explain if I didn’t.

I’m a fan of the charity component, but the date? I can’t get behind that.
Yeah I can see where you're coming from on that. With the history they have the timing does seem strange. Could have done it the day of a different national.
Crush
5/15/2019 7:02pm
How about just be cooperative with the reasonable requests made my MXSports, so that moto can continue to witness one of the most iconic nationals in history.
Bruce372
5/15/2019 7:05pm
Looks like a big middle finger to me!

Glad it's for charity, but it does seem a little cynical
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
5/15/2019 7:11pm
Crush wrote:
How about just be cooperative with the reasonable requests made my MXSports, so that moto can continue to witness one of the most iconic nationals in...
How about just be cooperative with the reasonable requests made my MXSports, so that moto can continue to witness one of the most iconic nationals in history.
Make no mistake about it, this was a charity veiled FU to Mx Sports for not playing mouse.
SoCalMX70
5/15/2019 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2019 7:16pm
Might actually attend this. Sure as hell not attending Pala...

Get some practice in, eat food, and watch the race in the barn... Tough to beat that.
5/15/2019 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2019 7:18pm
If they are using a fundraiser to be petty towards mx sports then that’s sad.
500guy
5/15/2019 7:19pm
Free Practice now costs $10 ?
ccstrebe
5/15/2019 7:21pm
Crush wrote:
How about just be cooperative with the reasonable requests made my MXSports, so that moto can continue to witness one of the most iconic nationals in...
Define “reasonable requests”
aeffertz
5/15/2019 7:29pm
You California blokes are so spoiled. Wah, traffic is going to be bad. I'm not going to the Pala National. Aren't you embarrassed?
RexEasely
5/15/2019 7:42pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Looks like a big middle finger to me!

Glad it's for charity, but it does seem a little cynical
Im thinking Tom White would lobby for unity over division.
TeamGreen
5/15/2019 7:45pm
avidchimp wrote:
Sunday would have been an AMAZING day to hold it. Even open the place up to camping for the weekend and let people go to the...
Sunday would have been an AMAZING day to hold it. Even open the place up to camping for the weekend and let people go to the race and come back and rip in the morning.
This.

Sunday would have been perfect.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
5/15/2019 7:47pm
What's so bad about it? They are going to show the race, so I would say they are supporting it? As long as all proceeds go to charity and they don't skim some off the top... Nationals are cool but I would take the option of riding over watching a national.
TymeMoto
5/15/2019 7:52pm
I disagree with you here, GuyB. I think it sounds cool. And it’s not like they are boycotting the race, they’re showing it in the museum.

I can’t get mad at a track for giving back to the moto community.
TeamGreen
5/15/2019 7:57pm
aeffertz wrote:
You California blokes are so spoiled. Wah, traffic is going to be bad. I'm not going to the Pala National. Aren't you embarrassed?
Yup

As Dr. Evil would say...

jeffro503
5/15/2019 8:06pm
Maybe I'm in the minority here ( as I didn't read any replies ).......but if I lived down there , I'd be there in a heart beat! Screw the live national , when I can get home after riding all day , I can watch it later that evening. I do that all summer long anyways. The only way I'm missing a ride day is if I'm over worked ( which I am right now ) or if the weather sucks ( which it does right now ) .

I know there is some animosity between GH and MXsports.......but seriously , who gives a shit? Go ride your brains out on an awesome track all day , then watch the motos when you get home. Who the hell " doesn't " do that?
jeffro503
5/15/2019 8:11pm
Btw.....I posted that response knowing damn well Pala national has shit traffic. So I'd go ride my bike.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
5/15/2019 8:13pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Maybe I'm in the minority here ( as I didn't read any replies ).......but if I lived down there , I'd be there in a heart...
Maybe I'm in the minority here ( as I didn't read any replies ).......but if I lived down there , I'd be there in a heart beat! Screw the live national , when I can get home after riding all day , I can watch it later that evening. I do that all summer long anyways. The only way I'm missing a ride day is if I'm over worked ( which I am right now ) or if the weather sucks ( which it does right now ) .

I know there is some animosity between GH and MXsports.......but seriously , who gives a shit? Go ride your brains out on an awesome track all day , then watch the motos when you get home. Who the hell " doesn't " do that?
The point being they could have raised MORE money for the charity had they not had an issue with Pala/Fox hosting the national.

GH could have had a Friday through Sunday event that went hand in hand with the national. Open the gates on Friday to let people set-up and have fun, have an open practice Saturday for whomever wants to stay and ride/watch the national in the museum, and when everyone comes back from the race have a kickass BBQ/party/Sunday event all in Tom White's name.
jeffro503
5/15/2019 8:16pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Maybe I'm in the minority here ( as I didn't read any replies ).......but if I lived down there , I'd be there in a heart...

avidchimp wrote:
The point being they could have raised MORE money for the charity had they not had an issue with Pala/Fox hosting the national. GH could have...
The point being they could have raised MORE money for the charity had they not had an issue with Pala/Fox hosting the national.

GH could have had a Friday through Sunday event that went hand in hand with the national. Open the gates on Friday to let people set-up and have fun, have an open practice Saturday for whomever wants to stay and ride/watch the national in the museum, and when everyone comes back from the race have a kickass BBQ/party/Sunday event all in Tom White's name.
I see your point and understood.
APLMAN99
5/15/2019 8:17pm
jeffro503 wrote:

Sounds good to me.

I think that there may be a little bit of animosity over the free practice because a certain media competitor has always been involved with their National, too. I think that people now have a decent choice of activities to attend. Enthusiasts can attend a free practice with lunch, spectators can attend a probably great National, and those that are in both categories can choose one or the other and have a great day!
Natester551v
5/15/2019 8:32pm
jeffro503 wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
Sounds good to me. I think that there may be a little bit of animosity over the free practice because a certain media competitor has always...
Sounds good to me.

I think that there may be a little bit of animosity over the free practice because a certain media competitor has always been involved with their National, too. I think that people now have a decent choice of activities to attend. Enthusiasts can attend a free practice with lunch, spectators can attend a probably great National, and those that are in both categories can choose one or the other and have a great day!
This....it's not like GH scheduled a competing race...I'd way rather ride, take a break occasionally and watch some Pala National motos, ride some more, repeat.

As far as that certain media competitor, it's only been recently that I've seen them cover anything WORCS-related (i.e. in their Monday Wake Up Call or whatever), which(along w/Big 6) is essentially the West-coast version of GNCC (owned and operated by the same folks as that mag). For a long time it seemed almost like verboten to speak about - reminded me of "Monster Energy SX" and the lengths they go to in order to never, ever mention the Outdoor MX Nats.

It's zero sum thinking at its finest...
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
5/15/2019 8:39pm
jeffro503 wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
Sounds good to me. I think that there may be a little bit of animosity over the free practice because a certain media competitor has always...
Sounds good to me.

This....it's not like GH scheduled a competing race...I'd way rather ride, take a break occasionally and watch some Pala National motos, ride some more, repeat. As...
This....it's not like GH scheduled a competing race...I'd way rather ride, take a break occasionally and watch some Pala National motos, ride some more, repeat.

As far as that certain media competitor, it's only been recently that I've seen them cover anything WORCS-related (i.e. in their Monday Wake Up Call or whatever), which(along w/Big 6) is essentially the West-coast version of GNCC (owned and operated by the same folks as that mag). For a long time it seemed almost like verboten to speak about - reminded me of "Monster Energy SX" and the lengths they go to in order to never, ever mention the Outdoor MX Nats.

It's zero sum thinking at its finest...
I have no dog in this fight, but I can call a spade a spade when I see it.

It's not like GH had this thing on the books for 6/9 months, it was more like "shit, we have an open weekend now, how can we make as much noise as possible in the name of a good cause to draw potential income away from the national?"

Someone needs to buy Bud out of his lease with S.B. and make Glen Helen good again.

Post a reply to: Dear Glen Helen...

The Latest