I never shut the gas on my bike off.
40Plus_922mx
4/19/2010 11:43am
Deano, "You need wind cause it .....uhhh?"
Mech. "Helps push the sail!"
Deano, "Yeah!"
SteveS
4/19/2010 12:18pm
That happened right in front of us. As they were pushing off the track towards us I shouted out, "Turn the gas on!". After the mechanic got on and started kicking away, everybody in the section was shouting it. That's when Dean-o looked down and turned it on.
500guy
4/19/2010 12:28pm
SteveS wrote:
That happened right in front of us. As they were pushing off the track towards us I shouted out, "Turn the gas on!". After the mechanic...
That happened right in front of us. As they were pushing off the track towards us I shouted out, "Turn the gas on!". After the mechanic got on and started kicking away, everybody in the section was shouting it. That's when Dean-o looked down and turned it on.
So you are the one who turned it off ?

The Shop

CamP
4/19/2010 12:33pm
Cygnus wrote:
Me either.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
4/19/2010 1:37pm
Rooster wrote:
I always check the fuel petcock before riding.

About 30 times.

I think I have a problem with OCD.
even though I have FI I still check sometimes Blush
mjskier
4/19/2010 1:41pm
SteveS wrote:
That happened right in front of us. As they were pushing off the track towards us I shouted out, "Turn the gas on!". After the mechanic...
Along the same line, I was parked next to a local shop owner once. He was done prepping his son's bike before a race and couldn't get it started. He tried for a good 5 minutes, then his kid tried too. Things went much better after I mentioned that maybe he should just put the spark plug cap back on...
SteveS
4/19/2010 2:09pm
SteveS wrote:
mjskier wrote:
Along the same line, I was parked next to a local shop owner once. He was done prepping his son's bike before a race and couldn't...
Along the same line, I was parked next to a local shop owner once. He was done prepping his son's bike before a race and couldn't get it started. He tried for a good 5 minutes, then his kid tried too. Things went much better after I mentioned that maybe he should just put the spark plug cap back on...
We had something like that happen once on a winter trip to Florida. I-55 was a potholed war zone, and the trailer broke a leaf spring (though I didn't know it at the time). When we got to County Line MX, the 85 worked fine and after Matt rode that one, we rolled out the supermini. Wouldn't start. Checked the air filter for a rag in airbox. Checked for fuel and the fuel petcock. Was about to give up and push it back into the trailer when I slumped into a lawn chair and then could see the spark plug had vibrated itself out and was sitting loose, still held by the boot.
4/19/2010 2:47pm
SteveS wrote:
mjskier wrote:
Along the same line, I was parked next to a local shop owner once. He was done prepping his son's bike before a race and couldn't...
SteveS wrote:
We had something like that happen once on a winter trip to Florida. I-55 was a potholed war zone, and the trailer broke a leaf spring...
We had something like that happen once on a winter trip to Florida. I-55 was a potholed war zone, and the trailer broke a leaf spring (though I didn't know it at the time). When we got to County Line MX, the 85 worked fine and after Matt rode that one, we rolled out the supermini. Wouldn't start. Checked the air filter for a rag in airbox. Checked for fuel and the fuel petcock. Was about to give up and push it back into the trailer when I slumped into a lawn chair and then could see the spark plug had vibrated itself out and was sitting loose, still held by the boot.
rag in the airbox-- yeesh.
One time back in the day I kicked my CR125 for an hour before figuring that one out. The sad thing is some buddies were over and I was trying to start my new bike for them...
I was also famous for leaving the muffler plug in and trying to start the bike.
VEGAS711
4/19/2010 2:57pm
oldx wrote:
At that level maybe they should have a special gas turner oner person.
The correct spelling is "onner" Blink
RACEGUY
4/19/2010 3:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:15pm
I once held the bike for a roadracer for a LeMans start. The rule was, dead-engine, petcock in the off position. I told him, with 42 guys in line, IF I could turn on his fuel I would.

He stumbled up to the bike and pulled out the kickstarter. I put my hands on his shoulders to stabilize him (as I'd learned to do) and said not once, but THREE times, "your fuel is on" - "fuel is on!" - "your fuel is ON!". The bike fired and he roared off and all I could see was him heading for turn one, reaching down, and going for the petcock.

Another story...another day. What happened to "Pecker" down in turn three.Wink
4/19/2010 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2010 4:47pm
i normally never turn the gas off until shes safely loaded up....
sxf138
4/19/2010 4:52pm
Cygnus wrote:
At that level I say mechanics fault. He starts and warms the bike up.
i agree, at that level of racing the last thing riders are thinking about are there gas, and they shouldnt have to worry about a thing except putting PC on the podium
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
4/19/2010 5:15pm
SteveS wrote:
We had something like that happen once on a winter trip to Florida. I-55 was a potholed war zone, and the trailer broke a leaf spring...
Guess the lack of compression wasn't really noticeable?
Void Main
4/19/2010 5:28pm
Wasn't his mechanic the one responsible for screwing up his green card paperwork and getting them stuck in Canadia for 3 weeks?
plowboy
4/19/2010 5:57pm
Cyg...I guess I'm too old...I turn gas off every time I hit the kill button.
jammin76tx
4/19/2010 7:31pm
I always check my pet cock, too.

Here's a picture if ya don't believe me.Grinning

crusher773
4/20/2010 2:22pm
I saw it!! It was right in front of us I told my wife that I bet the gas is turned off. It was great!!
raddad
4/20/2010 2:30pm
Cygnus wrote:
CamP wrote:
Me either.
X3 unless you have an old beater or a dirty carb there is no reason to turn it off when its sitting upright on a stand. Never ever turn it off and you will never ever have a problem!
SteveS
4/20/2010 2:57pm
SteveS wrote:
Guess the lack of compression wasn't really noticeable?
Kid probably doesn't think that way. He was just whining at his mechanic (me) that it wouldn't start.

Post a reply to: Dean Wilson on the parade lap

The Latest