Dean Wilson on the parade lap

Related:
Create New Tag

4/18/2010 7:47 AM

Did anybody else see him? His bike died while rolling through the first rythm section, he kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked to no avail, his mechanic came over and started kickng not doing any good either, then dean looked under his gas tank, pointed, and his mechanic reched in there and turned the gas on. Started 3 kicks later. I thought it was fucking hilarious, but what if he had made it around the whole lap and it died during the race? That mechanics head would be rolling, and I'm sure he got chewed out anyway. You'd figure they'd file the petcock down so it couldn't even be turned off or something at this level.

|

4/18/2010 7:51 AM

Man that sounded hilarious, i wish i could have seen it!! NOT!!

|

4/18/2010 7:52 AM

lucky he didn't get hurt over a jump.

|

4/18/2010 7:53 AM

That's why they have slow lap rules at some tracks. A kid died because he went for a good sized jump on the first lap with his gas off. I forget where, but that stuff happens.

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

4/18/2010 7:58 AM

it is always the riders responsibility to check the gas, Come on, isn't that like racing 101 stuff?

|

"I think you're pretty slow, everyone else on here knew that for years."

4/18/2010 8:02 AM

Do you think mitch lists that as a responsibility for them? Yea they SHOULD check the gas, but at that level if it was off, it's the mechanic who handed the bike to the rider like that.

|

4/18/2010 8:04 AM

At that level I say mechanics fault. He starts and warms the bike up.

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.

4/18/2010 8:09 AM

JW381 wrote:

That's why they have slow lap rules at some tracks. A kid died because he went for a good sized jump on the first lap with his gas off. I forget where, but that stuff happens.

Yep, and I've seen several riders at local races or just riding practice laps not properly warm a bike up either. Both are a recipe for disaster if you encounter a bog at the wrong time.

|

4/18/2010 8:28 AM

Cygnus wrote:

"at that level" a pro rider would be a supreme dumbass to not check that his gas is on. If I was MItch I would have bitched at both of them.

|

4/18/2010 8:33 AM

Cygnus wrote:

pdubfiddy wrote:

"at that level" a pro rider would be a supreme dumbass to not check that his gas is on. If I was MItch I would have bitched at both of them.

Why would you call Dean that?

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.

4/18/2010 8:46 AM

At that level, that's why they pay the mechanics. To worry about the bike so the rider doesn't have to. Yea, something as simple as the gas off Deano couldve checked, but he's payed to ride the bike prepared for him.

|

4/18/2010 8:53 AM

At that level maybe they should have a special gas turner oner person.

|

4/18/2010 8:59 AM

'at that level' , the rider gets 'used' to the mechanic doing his job. At 'our' level, we wash our bikes, clean the air filter, change oil, snug all nuts and bolts. It's 100% mechanics fault at that 'level'.

|

4/18/2010 9:00 AM

MxDaD324 wrote:

Man that sounded hilarious, i wish i could have seen it!! NOT!!

LMAO!!! x580,000

|

4/18/2010 9:06 AM

There was a thread about some mysterious switch/knob/valve that the PC riders have been seen adjusting immediately after the finish line of the jump. My guess is it's not a petcock but rather some other type of fuel adjustment, maybe an alcohol reserve?

|

4/18/2010 9:38 AM

oldx wrote:

At that level maybe they should have a special gas turner oner person.

HAR!

this idea may catch on though...

|

God Bless Motocross.

4/18/2010 10:33 AM

I always check the fuel petcock before riding.

About 30 times.

I think I have a problem with OCD.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Empty a bag of skittles into the toilet and then flush. It's like watching a five second long nascar race.

4/18/2010 10:42 AM

It was the switch for the Nitros can hidden in the seat foam they use for instant holeshots!

|

www.robkinsey.com
http://robkinseyart.wordpress.com
Accountant's only look at the bottom line, whereas an Artist see's it all!

4/18/2010 10:48 AM

why do some people always need to point fingers and accuse, always want to find a culprit. "it's the rider's fault" "It's the mechanic's fault"..

gnarly.

Lucky for WIlson it didn't happen on the face of a jump.

And I always check my gas is on before I start riding.

|

The Journey is the Destination

4/18/2010 10:49 AM

In most (if not all) major auto racing series, they use checklists throughout every step of their weekend - beginning before the trailer doors are even opened.

I've seen some of the seemingly "DUH" shit listed and numbered and requiring an initial to say it was done...but it works.

In this case, on most of their checklists, one of the last duties would be to confirm the petcock position.

Works for them.

|

The opinions expressed here are possibly not even those of the contributor.

4/18/2010 10:50 AM

Sounds better than at Dallas when Nik Wey stalled his bike during the opening and they wouldn't take the spotlight off him.

|

flarider wrote: I don't know shit
and I am damn glad for that

4/18/2010 10:52 AM

Won't have to worry about it much longer as FI bikes don't have a petcock.

|

4/18/2010 10:59 AM

As a rider it doesn't matter what level you are at, if you don't want to run out of gas before a tripple you check the petcock on the line! Just the same as you shake your goggles out to be sure there is no dirt in them. Yes maybe the mechanic does this for him but its your butt thats in the hospital if he happens to forget just that one time. Double check never hurts.

|

4/18/2010 11:06 AM

Overdrive wrote:

As a rider it doesn't matter what level you are at, if you don't want to run out of gas before a tripple you check the petcock on the line! Just the same as you shake your goggles out to be sure there is no dirt in them. Yes maybe the mechanic does this for him but its your butt thats in the hospital if he happens to forget just that one time. Double check never hurts.

Ever been down in SCUBA gear? Did you ask someone else to suck on your regulator before you headed for the bottom?.. or did take a quick haul of air yourself, just to make sure.wink

|

The opinions expressed here are possibly not even those of the contributor.

4/18/2010 11:23 AM

Rooster wrote:

I always check the fuel petcock before riding.

About 30 times.

I think I have a problem with OCD.

I always shake my goggles of dirt and check my fuel petcock on the starting line of every race,sometimes several times.wink

|

4/18/2010 11:35 AM

Remember when DV12 tried a nose stoppie, and flew over the front bars in front of 45k anaheim folks.... That was funny...

|

4/18/2010 11:39 AM

Sometimes shit happens. There are tons of things that could distract you.

|

4/18/2010 11:56 AM

Gotta blame the rider imo. I always see them checking their gas on the line, why would PC or any other teams riders be above that?

|

4/18/2010 12:23 PM

this is the kid that didnt get his visa checked, so a petcock check, is no big deal. Canadians...

|

4/19/2010 11:04 AM

These kids, I wonder if they know what a valve cap is?
Normally a rider turns on his gas 200 times, and at least a few times each time he starts it up.

At this stage, isnt it like wiping your ass? 2nd nature? Especially if the bike dies? Thats the first thing you do..........unless EFI, but even then, you can listen for fuel pressure.

Needs more manfriends I guess. Personal ass wiper and gas checker on the payroll. More writeoffs.........

|