Dean Wilson Snapchat

delbrekko
1/28/2016 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2016 8:57am
Looks like from Dean's Snapchats that he is in Belgium to get surgery on his knee. Looks like he is going where he did before for knee surgery. Anyone else see this?
|
Gringoe
1/28/2016 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2016 2:02pm
He's definitely in europe..

He must have a doctor over there he really likes.
delbrekko
1/28/2016 2:03pm
Gringoe wrote:

If I remember correctly isn't that where he had his carpal tunnel surgery too?
Gringoe
1/28/2016 2:04pm
Gringoe wrote:

delbrekko wrote:
If I remember correctly isn't that where he had his carpal tunnel surgery too?
Yep. Not sure where he had his knee done though
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
1/28/2016 2:04pm
Gringoe wrote:

Synthetic ligament repair, I'm sure. Not approved in the US yet, so Europe or AUS. it is to get it done.

The Shop

oshow
1/28/2016 2:05pm
Yes he's in Europe.
Crush
1/28/2016 2:06pm
Feel for Deano. Hopefully it all turns around for him, he was looking great!
Gringoe
1/28/2016 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2016 2:08pm
Gringoe wrote:

avidchimp wrote:
Synthetic ligament repair, I'm sure. Not approved in the US yet, so Europe or AUS. it is to get it done.
Don't see why it's necessary when James and villopoto came back in 4 months with cadavers.

Wonder how he went about it last time? Couldve change the method for this time
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
1/28/2016 2:23pm
Kobe went to Europe for medical treatment that isn't approved in the States (I.E. stem cells and HGH). If I had the means I would too
1/28/2016 2:27pm
The world has some pretty cool medical knowledge. Sometimes hands are tied in America on the ability to adopt it, test it and use it.
1/28/2016 3:32pm
The world has some pretty cool medical knowledge. Sometimes hands are tied in America on the ability to adopt it, test it and use it.
Healthcare is a business in America, thats our major issue.

Good luck Deano, your 150 ride in Premix made me a fan.
mom241
1/28/2016 3:40pm
robkinuk wrote:
Check out this video about Matt Hoffman BMX star who underwent ACL replacement without anaesthetic https://youtu.be/EZ36BPIoRF0 Hardcore!
Check out this video about Matt Hoffman BMX star who underwent ACL replacement without anaesthetic
https://youtu.be/EZ36BPIoRF0
Hardcore!
Oklahomans are ggnnarrllly
BobPA
1/28/2016 3:51pm
robkinuk wrote:
Check out this video about Matt Hoffman BMX star who underwent ACL replacement without anaesthetic https://youtu.be/EZ36BPIoRF0 Hardcore!
Check out this video about Matt Hoffman BMX star who underwent ACL replacement without anaesthetic
Hardcore!
That dude is a legend
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
1/28/2016 3:54pm
robkinuk wrote:
Hardcore!
mom241 wrote:
Oklahomans are ggnnarrllly
Lol
Well, they are definetly not wussies !!
Question
1/28/2016 3:56pm

Damned I was hoping it was less serious... I wish him a quick recovery, I really hope he gets a really good second half of the season.
aeffertz
1/28/2016 4:01pm
He'll be back on the bike before SX is over?
1/28/2016 4:16pm
Healthcare is a business in America, thats our major issue.

Good luck Deano, your 150 ride in Premix made me a fan.
150 video was insane!! He has speed/talent to match the best, if he can get his injuries healed and get a solid season he will be right there with anyone. It's a tough sport and public jury switches so quickly one way then the other with as little as one good/bad race. Really hope he gets it sorted.
Olson
1/28/2016 4:41pm
That's what Marvin did when he repaired his knee two years ago. I hope Dean gets well soon and will be back on a bike.
MotoMalyDad
1/28/2016 5:10pm
Gringoe wrote:

avidchimp wrote:
Not FDA approved, but can still be done. My doctor in Santa Barbara was going to use a synthetic rotator cuff where mine used to be. But my share of the cost was over 10k out of pocket. So I just have to live with never sleeping on that side nor throwing a ball too much at one time.
IWreckALot
1/28/2016 6:11pm
Did Davi Milsaps do the same thing when he got his knee done? Or am I misremebering?
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
1/28/2016 6:18pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Did Davi Milsaps do the same thing when he got his knee done? Or am I misremebering?
Yes, in AUS. is what was said. Could be wrong...
1/28/2016 6:27pm
I wonder if Dean's insurance covers procedures that aren't FDA approved.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
1/28/2016 8:08pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Kobe went to Europe for medical treatment that isn't approved in the States (I.E. stem cells and HGH). If I had the means I would too
Kobe didn't have any of that done in Europe. He was very open with what he did. What he actually was doing was withdrawing his blood and running it through a centrifuge which causes his red blood cells to replenish quicker and they would inject the rehabbed blood straight into his knees.
Ardenb64
1/28/2016 8:47pm
Synthetic ACL's aren't new; you can still get one in the states if you can find a Doctor that believes in the technology. Heck, there are reports of docs trying to use steel braided wire in the 1800's... Can you imagine?!

Unfortunately, nothing yet beats natural tissue -- whether it be your own or a donor graft. Most Ortho surgeons would strongly advise against synthetic grafts... So I hope that's not what he's doing!
Ardenb64
1/28/2016 8:50pm
X2.

we give PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections in our office and in the Operating Room. They work really well in certain applications. Pretty cool stuff. Not covered by insurance for the most part (yet?), so guys charge whatever they can get for it (which is usually in the realm of $1,500-$3,000)

Works great in knees!
cbuehler767
1/28/2016 9:12pm
150 video was insane!! He has speed/talent to match the best, if he can get his injuries healed and get a solid season he will be...
150 video was insane!! He has speed/talent to match the best, if he can get his injuries healed and get a solid season he will be right there with anyone. It's a tough sport and public jury switches so quickly one way then the other with as little as one good/bad race. Really hope he gets it sorted.
He's pretty far removed from his 250 title. He will be right there with anyone? Don't think so. He's not at Dungey Tomac Roczen level and then you have the new kids like Webb and Martin, when they move up, who have him covered. He's a pretty funny kid and I like him but the windows to success in this sport are small and his is closing fast. Maybe a GP ride would give him a fresh start
PTshox
1/28/2016 9:18pm

Lots of info on this subject of non tissue based ACL's..Some of that is below. Looks like the best bet is your own stuff. Keep it real! )

Artificial materials
The beginning: carbon fibres

The advent of artificial ligaments dates back to the beginning of the 20th century, when silver and stainless wires, nylon and silk strings and various synthetic fibres were used to create artificial grafts [10]. However, the unsatisfactory results and the high rate of early ruptures confined these initial attempts to the stage of animal experiments, and these materials were never adopted in clinical trials.

In the 1970s the interest for synthetic grafts led to their introduction as substitutes for biological human tissue. The increased appeal of these supports resulted in the commercialization of products such as Proplast ligaments (Vitex-Inc, Houston, TX, USA) made of Teflon and carbon and Polyflex (Richard, Memphis, TN, USA) made of polypropylene. Results were scarce for both methods which had to be withdrawn from the market due to their high rupture rate and inflammatory reaction in the surrounding tissues. Experimental studies conducted on these materials showed their unsuitable mechanical properties.

In 1977, Jenkins et al. [11] developed an artificial ligament made of carbon fibre (Intergraft, Osteonics Biomaterials, Livermore, CA, USA). After being initially employed for tendon sutures, its use was then extended to ligament reconstruction in the knee and other joints.

In 1981, Dandy et al. first implanted a carbon-fibre reinforced substitute for ACL with an arthroscopic procedure [12].

However, after preliminary encouraging results, serious sequelae were observed during clinical application. It has been demonstrated that the poor resistance to torsion forces caused an early rupture of the fibres leading to carbon deposits in the liver and inflammatory synovitis in the knee joint [13].

Neither the subsequent attempt to combine this material with autologous tissue nor the association with bio-adsorbable polymers on the ligament surface could prevent the significant side effects associated with these grafts. For this reason these materials were completely abandoned.

Gore-Tex

As carbon fibres were overtaken and surgeons increasingly performed ACL reconstruction arthroscopically, new materials came in.

In 1986, ligaments made by expanded polytetrafluorethylene (PTFE) (Gore-Tex, W.L.Gore, Flagstaff, AR, USA), a material already adopted in vascular surgery, were approved in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the use in patients with previously failed autologous ACL reconstructions.

The Gore-Tex ligament is made by a single strand of PTFE wounded into multiple loops. It was designed as a true prosthesis and implanted to permanently replace the natural ACL [14]. It was supposed to promote immediate fixation and early load-bearing capacity. These grafts have an ultimate tensile strength of 5300 N, higher than any other commercial artificial ligament [15]. It should be noted that a natural ACL has a tensile strength of 630 N in adults [16] and 1730 N in the young population [17] (Table 1). In addition, its stiffness of 322 N/mm and its ultimate strain of 9% confer to the graft an excellent postoperative stability immediately and an early load-bearing capacity; thus explaining their initial spread as first reports in 1983 documented their encouraging short-term results.

Table 1
Table 1
Mechanical properties of synthetic grafts compared to natural ligaments
Ahlfeld et al. [18] followed 30 patients with a Gore-Tex ACL graft, and two years after the implant documented only one prosthetic breakage. Glousman et al. [19] reported a prospective study on the implant of 82 PTFE ligaments with an 18 month follow-up (range 12–30), noticing an immediate improvement of objective and subjective parameters. Complications included four ruptures, seven major complications (8%) and 14 revision operations (17%). Similar results were reported by Woods et al. [20] in a two-year follow-up on 33 patients. After preliminary good results, they observed a worsening in knee stability. Ahlfeld et al. [21] followed up 30 patients with a Gore-Tex ACL graft and two years after the implant observed only one prosthetic breakage. Similarly, Friedman [22] reported the results of 103 Gore-Tex ACL ligaments with a follow-up of 16 months documenting only three ruptures. Using the same graft material, Ferkel et al. [23] performed 21 second look arthroscopies 11 months after surgery and found the ligament partially damaged in six knees and completely ruptured in four cases.

Soon, mechanical properties of these grafts were recognised as unsuitable, as failures were related to mechanical fatigue due to the lack of tissue ingrowth and to the presence of wear debris.

With a two-year follow-up after the implantation of 41 Gore-Tex ligaments, Indelicato et al. [24] stressed the possibility that these devices were susceptible to breakage and correlated the findings of synovial reaction found in nine patients to the presence of PTFE particles. Paulos et al. [25] noted an improvement of subjective and objective criteria in less then 50% of the 188 patients followed-up for four years, reporting a total complication rate of 76% in patients that had already previously undergone ACL reconstruction. Sledge et al. [26] reported a rupture rate of 29% in their five-year follow-up and discouraged future implantation of these devices. Two cases of tunnel osteolysis were described by Seemann and Steadman [27] with the finding of a progressive tunnel enlargement leading to late failure. Wilson et al. [28] described an inguinal limphoadenopathy in two patients after Gore-Tex ligament implantation in the knee joint. Microbiological and hystological examinations demonstrated the presence of PTFE particles in the lymphonode, proving the occurrence of complications in sites distant from the knee.

The Gore-Tex graft was withdrawn from the market in 1993 as well as the Gore-Tex CD, the second-generation ligament. Since then the use of this material has been completely abandoned in knee instability surgery.

Dacron

A different approach in the development was adopted for the Dacron ligament (Meadox Medicals, Oakland, NJ, USA; Stryker Corp., Kalamazoo, MI, USA), initially employed in acromio-clavicular joint injuries and in tendon reconstructions. This ligament, approved in 1989 in the United States by the FDA, is made of polyester and is designed to replace the ACL permanently. The graft is composed of an 8-mm diameter sleeve of loosely woven velour with a central core made of four tightly woven tapes. It has a mean ultimate tensile strength of 3,631 N and a mean ultimate elongation of 18.7% [15, 29] (Table 1).

Initial reports have shown encouraging results in the short term. A study by Lukianov et al. [29] reported the results at a mean follow-up of 28 months in 41 patients who underwent ACL reconstruction with a Stryker Dacron ligament prosthesis. In 75% of the patients Lachman, anterior drawer, and pivot shift tests were found negative.

However, in 1991, Arnauw et al. [30] studied 57 patients with an ACL Dacron prosthesis and observed a rupture rate of 40% 18 months after surgery.
Cancerman
1/28/2016 10:12pm
Gringoe wrote:

avidchimp wrote:
Not FDA approved, but can still be done. My doctor in Santa Barbara was going to use a synthetic rotator cuff where mine used to be...
Not FDA approved, but can still be done. My doctor in Santa Barbara was going to use a synthetic rotator cuff where mine used to be. But my share of the cost was over 10k out of pocket. So I just have to live with never sleeping on that side nor throwing a ball too much at one time.
Boy do I know about your rotator cuff issues. I tore mine in the mid 90's, never been the same. I can't sleep on that side or throw anything overhand. I could not afford the out of pocket either. And I had great insurance back then as well.

Post a reply to: Dean Wilson Snapchat

The Latest