Dean Wilson Injury Update

ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/9/2018 9:16am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 8:40pm
|
c0ncEpT
1/9/2018 9:21am
Glad its not more serious. Looking forward to having Deano back on Saturdays!
gt80rider
1/9/2018 9:23am
He was looking on point Saturday, hoping he is feeling on-point for this weekend!
slipdog
1/9/2018 9:26am
Best of luck to him.

I had a similar "contusion" with with almost word for word description from my MRI that took just as long to recover from as my shoulder surgery 15yrs ago. 5yrs later it still ain't right, but I don't have youth on my side anymore.
kaptkaos
1/9/2018 9:42am
Question:

Who thinks a really good chest protector/flak jacket with shoulder protection (not a silly roost deflector) would have softened the impact, and spread the load across a greater area and perhaps lessened the extent of this injury?

https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o4&cc=us&creative=18867069063…

I just dont understand how people can competitively race a dirt bike with only a jersey.

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/9/2018 9:51am
kaptkaos wrote:
Question: Who thinks a really good chest protector/flak jacket with shoulder protection (not a silly roost deflector) would have softened the impact, and spread the load...
Question:

Who thinks a really good chest protector/flak jacket with shoulder protection (not a silly roost deflector) would have softened the impact, and spread the load across a greater area and perhaps lessened the extent of this injury?

I just dont understand how people can competitively race a dirt bike with only a jersey.
From what I've seen, the majority of riders have switched over to running a small plastic under protector....but they're mostly just chest and a few back pieces. Having tested a full coverage piece as you posted, I personally can't stand them or ride how I'd like. Pros are even more picky in this aspect...so I can easily see why they don't. Let alone the heat come outdoors...
kaptkaos
1/9/2018 10:10am
IMHO that is flawed logic.

Dont you think Tom Brady could throw a football much better if he didnt have to wear shoulder pads? Maybe see the field better without that helmet on? I bet those guys are pretty uncomfortable and hot in July and August too. But there are rules and everyone must wear them so its equal.

The F1 guys and Nascar racers have to wear a full fire suit, gloves and HANS device. I dont know if any of you have ever been in one, but I have. Its hot as hell, and super claustrophobic. When they cinch down your harness, it takes the breath out of you.

MotoGp guys wear full leather with armor. Its pretty damn hot.

Yeah motox is very demanding and we need all the mobility we can get, but make it a rule and its equal and I guarantee the equipment will get better. I suck,and I am slow and fat, but I ride in South Florida where its brutally hot in the summer and I wear everything under the sun, because I have to get to work on Monday and provide for my family and i need every bit of protection that can help me avoid any injury, big or small. I look like a damn astronaut!

Just saying, because a racer didnt want to be hot or uncomfortable, he now potentially misses races, and blows his title chances so early on. At the end of the day, that takes money out of his pocket, and the teams pocket.

Sure, its racing and we expect this, but Deano is no stranger to crashing and missing races, and how long do we go on accepting these risks without doing everything we can to prevent them?

If wearing a good chest protector (which maybe doesnt exist yet) can prevent a serious contusion and allow him to train and race the next week, why arent we moving in that direction?

Hell I dont like wearing seatbelts in my car or leather jackets and boots on my Harley, its hot as hell down here. But I have never not worn them.

We are free to choose as private citizens, but just like the NFL, the AMA/FIM should institute and develop safety products and rules to help us evolve going forward. Here we are at the season opener and we are down how many riders?

Bogle
Millsaps
Deano
Hanny
AMart
Nicoletti
Bloss
Leib
Eli is down 25 pts for a contusion!

Can someone put an asterisk next to the names a good protector may have prevented the contusion and allowed them to finsih the race and race next week?

I think AMART, DEANO, ELI, NICOLETTI

Not sure about the details of the other injuries.

Its always a dangerous sport, but we can and should do better.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/9/2018 10:36am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 10:40am
kaptkaos wrote:
IMHO that is flawed logic. Dont you think Tom Brady could throw a football much better if he didnt have to wear shoulder pads? Maybe see...

Dont you think Tom Brady could throw a football much better if he didnt have to wear shoulder pads? Maybe see the field better without that helmet on? I bet those guys are pretty uncomfortable and hot in July and August too. But there are rules and everyone must wear them so its equal.

The F1 guys and Nascar racers have to wear a full fire suit, gloves and HANS device. I dont know if any of you have ever been in one, but I have. Its hot as hell, and super claustrophobic. When they cinch down your harness, it takes the breath out of you.

Yeah motox is very demanding and we need all the mobility we can get, but make it a rule and its equal and I guarantee the equipment will get better. I suck,and I am slow and fat, but I ride in South Florida where its brutally hot in the summer and I wear everything under the sun, because I have to get to work on Monday and provide for my family and i need every bit of protection that can help me avoid any injury, big or small. I look like a damn astronaut!

Just saying, because a racer didnt want to be hot or uncomfortable, he now potentially misses races, and blows his title chances so early on. At the end of the day, that takes money out of his pocket, and the teams pocket.

Sure, its racing and we expect this, but Deano is no stranger to crashing and missing races, and how long do we go on accepting these risks without doing everything we can to prevent them?

If wearing a good chest protector (which maybe doesnt exist yet) can prevent a serious contusion and allow him to train and race the next week, why arent we moving in that direction?

Hell I dont like wearing seatbelts in my car or leather jackets and boots on my Harley, its hot as hell down here. But I have never not worn them.

We are free to choose as private citizens, but just like the NFL, the AMA/FIM should institute and develop safety products and rules to help us evolve going forward. Here we are at the season opener and we are down how many riders?

Bogle
Millsaps
Deano
Hanny
AMart
Nicoletti
Bloss
Leib

Can someone put an asterisk next to the names a good protector may have prevented the contusion and allowed them to finsih the race and race next week?

Leib is wrist related...
Hanny is foot...
Millsaps was elbow and head...
Bogle is head...
Eli is shoulder and possible head...
Nicoletti I'm not sure about....

Good luck getting them to wear them. Take Ken Roczen for instance, he used to wear full elbow guards, shoulder, road race style back protection and a solid chest piece...he ditched it a few years back.

Just my personal opinion...having ridden track days in full leathers and played in karts/late model cars in full suits...I thought a full under protection like you posted was much more restrictive for heat and detrimental on a motocross bike in warm weather.
PJRAUS
1/9/2018 11:55am
kaptkaos wrote:
Question: Who thinks a really good chest protector/flak jacket with shoulder protection (not a silly roost deflector) would have softened the impact, and spread the load...
Question:

I'm with you! Although I admit that I wouldn't like that particular alpine stars protector as I think it would be a bit hot and
Restrictive.
I wear a fox roost 2, had it for 20 years or more and won't part with it and won't ride without it. I find it to be very comfortable and not in the least restrictive...I actually feel uncomfortable...ill at ease on the rare occasions that I've left it at home by mistake....last time I did that I had a Nast high side that resulted in cracked ribs, blood on the lungs and a jacked up neck. I am 99.9 percent certain that the roost 2 would have prevented those injuries.
I have never had a shoulder or collar bone injury in 37 years of riding / racing as I have worn shoulder protection from day 1.
I suspect that the almighty sponsorship dollar plays a big role in this issue. My old roost 2 is restrictive and uncomfortable if you put a jersey over the top of it and pros need that advertising on their jerseys to be visible.

Yes, I believe that if Eli Tomac and Dean Wilson had been wearing a fox roost 2 on Saturday night, both riders would no have suffered the extent of injury that they both have.as a side note...can anyone tell me what is under the shoulder cups on the modern Fox body armour? Is it just foam, I've never seen one in a shop?
The roost 2 has a nylon mesh that suspends the shoulder cups above your shoulders and dissipates the impact very well when you take a digger

Here's a photo of a fox roost 2 I found on the net

haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
1/9/2018 11:57am
ML512 wrote:
Leib is wrist related... Hanny is foot... Millsaps was elbow and head... Bogle is head... Eli is shoulder and possible head... Nicoletti I'm not sure about...
Leib is wrist related...
Hanny is foot...
Millsaps was elbow and head...
Bogle is head...
Eli is shoulder and possible head...
Nicoletti I'm not sure about....

Good luck getting them to wear them. Take Ken Roczen for instance, he used to wear full elbow guards, shoulder, road race style back protection and a solid chest piece...he ditched it a few years back.

Just my personal opinion...having ridden track days in full leathers and played in karts/late model cars in full suits...I thought a full under protection like you posted was much more restrictive for heat and detrimental on a motocross bike in warm weather.
I think i'm starting to agree with KaptKaos around this issue.

It shouldn't be up to the rider to decide whether they wear the protective gear or not, it should be mandated by the sports governing body. If there is a protective device that is proven to be beneficial then it should be compulsory, the example of the HANS device is a perfect one. Maybe the ideal torso protection we're looking for doesn't exist yet, but one thing you can guarantee is the riders aren't going to go looking for it themselves.

These riders are the product that FELD are trying to sell to the public each and every week, yet year after year many of them are left sitting on the sidelines. Not every injury is preventable, its the nature of the sport, but i feel like the governing body at least has a vested interest in trying to prevent them. They've taken a step with bringing on Canard to help with track design, i think protective equipment is a good second step to look into sooner rather than later.
PJRAUS
1/9/2018 12:13pm
Seems like pros were more sensible back in the day..

Doug Henry

Steve Lamson

Rick Johnson

Jeff Ward

This whole idea of going with no shoulder protection baffles me. These old fox body armour things were very effective and not in the least uncomfortable or restrictive when worn over the jersey.
If you were able to freeze time just before you were about to take a digger shoulder first, would you choose to have one of these things on or just go bare back?
kaptkaos
1/9/2018 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 12:19pm
I used to wear this when I raced

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/Media/News/hrp.jpg

I still wear a modern version of one and I also wear a kidney belt!

Wrist braces, knee braces, MTB pads on my elbows. Neck brace too. Yeah its hot, and not very comfortable but neither is pain, surgery, halos, or being crippled. Not to mention unemployed.

I say make some rules, take it out of the riders control. Protect our product and due your diligence for the future lawsuits. Our sport cant afford the litigation the NFL is undergoing.
Question
1/9/2018 12:32pm
kaptkaos wrote:
Question:

PJRAUS wrote:
I'm with you! Although I admit that I wouldn't like that particular alpine stars protector as I think it would be a bit hot and Restrictive...
I'm with you! Although I admit that I wouldn't like that particular alpine stars protector as I think it would be a bit hot and
Restrictive.
I wear a fox roost 2, had it for 20 years or more and won't part with it and won't ride without it. I find it to be very comfortable and not in the least restrictive...I actually feel uncomfortable...ill at ease on the rare occasions that I've left it at home by mistake....last time I did that I had a Nast high side that resulted in cracked ribs, blood on the lungs and a jacked up neck. I am 99.9 percent certain that the roost 2 would have prevented those injuries.
I have never had a shoulder or collar bone injury in 37 years of riding / racing as I have worn shoulder protection from day 1.
I suspect that the almighty sponsorship dollar plays a big role in this issue. My old roost 2 is restrictive and uncomfortable if you put a jersey over the top of it and pros need that advertising on their jerseys to be visible.

Yes, I believe that if Eli Tomac and Dean Wilson had been wearing a fox roost 2 on Saturday night, both riders would no have suffered the extent of injury that they both have.as a side note...can anyone tell me what is under the shoulder cups on the modern Fox body armour? Is it just foam, I've never seen one in a shop?
The roost 2 has a nylon mesh that suspends the shoulder cups above your shoulders and dissipates the impact very well when you take a digger

Here's a photo of a fox roost 2 I found on the net

+1.

It is actually ennoying seeing riders out of the series due to injuries that could be prevented or reduced. Anyone who wear a good chest protector (since a kid) knows how much, how often it saves their body, and how little bothering it is.

It is like riding without boots or kness braces. In that case let us also make all the riders go in nike tn, it is a 3kg saving and also much better to feel the rear brakes.
mx617
1/9/2018 12:54pm
I remember going over the bars one time, hopped up and kept riding thinking no big deal. Got back to the truck and pulled my chest protector off and there was DEEP gouges in the plastic from the gravel I landed on. Sure as hell glad they weren't in my back. The hard shell protectors are awesome, don't even notice they're there.
JB 19
1/9/2018 1:01pm
kaptkaos wrote:
IMHO that is flawed logic. Dont you think Tom Brady could throw a football much better if he didnt have to wear shoulder pads? Maybe see...

Bogle
Millsaps
Deano
Hanny
AMart
Nicoletti
Bloss
Leib

He has a point with regard to the other sports. Sure, they perform at a higher level without the equipment, but there are no complaints since everyone has to wear it.
gt80rider
1/9/2018 1:02pm
If someone would just point out to the struggling gear companies that if people "have" to wear more gear to meet the rules, that they in turn "have" to buy more new gear from gear companies, I think there might be some rule changes. After all it is about the all mighty buck, but in this case it is a win/win. Gear companies sell more gear, riders are better protected because of it (and we might not see half the field gone by the fourth race).
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
1/9/2018 1:07pm
A couple bleeding heart liberals on this thread !

Let's "Make them wear more protective gear" !!
WTF ?? Let's let the athletes decide what they "WANT" to wear. Non of anyone's business, IMO
ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/9/2018 1:21pm
langhammx wrote:
A couple bleeding heart liberals on this thread ! Let's "Make them wear more protective gear" !! WTF ?? Let's let the athletes decide what they...

WTF ?? Let's let the athletes decide what they "WANT" to wear. Non of anyone's business, IMO
Thank you...
Rhino
1/9/2018 1:38pm
I'm torn. This sport is pretty poor paying for the risks taken when hitting the deck. For example,
I was riding with a top SX winning pro the day he crashed and totally ripped a full front/back chest protector off his body.

It was 105* and we were a few miles from nothing on a hill track with not even a backpack with a few bottles of water. It also destroyed a helmet knocking him cold. Destroyed, as in face and head part splintered and broke.

Not fun riding someone out half in shock and passing out.
Head good, body good though.

I'm pretty sure it would have been worse without.
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
1/9/2018 1:38pm
langhammx wrote:
A couple bleeding heart liberals on this thread ! Let's "Make them wear more protective gear" !! WTF ?? Let's let the athletes decide what they...

ML512 wrote:
Thank you...
Do you really think thats what its about?

An athlete isnt going to take it upon himself to wear a piece of equipment that he believes (factual or not) may inhibit his ability to ride the bike. But if everyone is mandated to do it then there is no perceived advantage for anyone.

The fact is these guys are not going to protect themselves, its a fact. More than half of olympic athletes admitted that if they could take a magic pill that would guarantee them a gold medal but they would die within 5 years, they would take it. You think 20 something home schooled kids have the knowledge and forethought to make a decision for their health in the midst of a super short career? They are going to do whatever they think will give them the best chance of success, whether that be ill informed or downright dangerous.

And even so, its not just about the riders, the event organizers are losing out on this as well. You think they will be ecstatic if a relatively preventable injury keeps a handful of title contenders out of the race and we have another boring runaway? They need to step up and do what they can to protect there interests as well.
1/9/2018 1:45pm
kaptkaos wrote:
Question:

ML512 wrote:
From what I've seen, the majority of riders have switched over to running a small plastic under protector....but they're mostly just chest and a few back...
From what I've seen, the majority of riders have switched over to running a small plastic under protector....but they're mostly just chest and a few back pieces. Having tested a full coverage piece as you posted, I personally can't stand them or ride how I'd like. Pros are even more picky in this aspect...so I can easily see why they don't. Let alone the heat come outdoors...
And that choice can see you sidelined and/or suffer in the years to come. 10 years time bro, you'll wish you sucked it up and got used to it. MX old age is a fucking bitch
DTHA70
1/9/2018 3:53pm
And that choice can see you sidelined and/or suffer in the years to come. 10 years time bro, you'll wish you sucked it up and got...
And that choice can see you sidelined and/or suffer in the years to come. 10 years time bro, you'll wish you sucked it up and got used to it. MX old age is a fucking bitch
pretty sure ML has been riding long enough to have made his own conclusions on what he wants or doesn't want to wear by now. Spent my formative years with full coverage chest pro, elbows, hard shell gloves etc... did that for about 12 years. a few years ago I gave it a go with nothing but my neck brace and knee braces as additional protective gear. Im never wearing a chest protector ever again, even after having taken handlebars and footpegs to the back and ribs. on the rare occasion I race a hare scramble or long GP, I may break one out just for a bit of insurance against branches and rocks at speed.

If you think the promoters care enough about riders to mandate more than minimum safety gear, youre high.
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
1/9/2018 4:03pm
DTHA70 wrote:
pretty sure ML has been riding long enough to have made his own conclusions on what he wants or doesn't want to wear by now. Spent...
pretty sure ML has been riding long enough to have made his own conclusions on what he wants or doesn't want to wear by now. Spent my formative years with full coverage chest pro, elbows, hard shell gloves etc... did that for about 12 years. a few years ago I gave it a go with nothing but my neck brace and knee braces as additional protective gear. Im never wearing a chest protector ever again, even after having taken handlebars and footpegs to the back and ribs. on the rare occasion I race a hare scramble or long GP, I may break one out just for a bit of insurance against branches and rocks at speed.

If you think the promoters care enough about riders to mandate more than minimum safety gear, youre high.
Isn't that just the point though? The promoters should care enough about their product to mandate safety equipment.

If Tomacs affected for even 1 more race, his seasons all but gone. Thats how easily it can happen to any of the guys out there. Couple more of those to top guys and we have a snooze fest of a season, which has happened far more often than anyone would like.

Im not saying Tomacs or anybody elses injuries were preventable by having plastic body armour, but i dont think it could've hurt in many situations.
Tuna
1/9/2018 4:07pm
langhammx wrote:

Don’t make this a political issue, makes you look stupid.
DTHA70
1/9/2018 4:26pm
haydos25 wrote:
Isn't that just the point though? The promoters should care enough about their product to mandate safety equipment. If Tomacs affected for even 1 more race...
Isn't that just the point though? The promoters should care enough about their product to mandate safety equipment.

If Tomacs affected for even 1 more race, his seasons all but gone. Thats how easily it can happen to any of the guys out there. Couple more of those to top guys and we have a snooze fest of a season, which has happened far more often than anyone would like.

Im not saying Tomacs or anybody elses injuries were preventable by having plastic body armour, but i dont think it could've hurt in many situations.
I don't disagree with the idea, but these dudes are the fastest in the world racing for a promoter/sanctioning body that wants to milk them dry at every opportunity. unfortunately that means they give dick about rider safety for the most part.

This might be a good topic to bring up with the recent TC41 safety/union deal he is working on.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/9/2018 4:26pm
And that choice can see you sidelined and/or suffer in the years to come. 10 years time bro, you'll wish you sucked it up and got...
I currently wear only the best helmets, high-end boots, knee braces, an under jersey hard shell front protector, and gear of course...along with lightly padded under shorts.

I've tested wrist braces, neck braces (wore one for years but quit), and over-the-jersey protectors (which I wore for 10 years) and the large under jersey full coverage in the link above. I've chosen to use what works for me for coverage versus ability to ride the bike as I'd like/comfort in heat.

At 13, I nearly lost the use of my left leg/ankle...in the past 12 years I've had 11 orthopedic surgeries related to moto and have broken around 35 bones, six dislocations, and have torn a few things. I'm well versed in motocross injuries at this point.
PJRAUS
1/9/2018 4:29pm
I think , from memory, juniors in Australia are required to wear a full coverage body armour when racing.
I don't advocate mandating it for adults though. I just think your'e a bit silly if you don't wear one...when I think back over all the big get offs I've had ....broken tib / fib, wrist, ankles,heels,toes... It's amazing that I've never had a shoulder or collar bone injury. I thank the roost 2 for that, the other body armour I had before that and the old Jofa shoulder guards I first started riding in
PJRAUS
1/9/2018 4:31pm
ML512 wrote:
I currently wear only the best helmets, high-end boots, knee braces, an under jersey hard shell front protector, and gear of course...along with lightly padded under...
I currently wear only the best helmets, high-end boots, knee braces, an under jersey hard shell front protector, and gear of course...along with lightly padded under shorts.

I've tested wrist braces, neck braces (wore one for years but quit), and over-the-jersey protectors (which I wore for 10 years) and the large under jersey full coverage in the link above. I've chosen to use what works for me for coverage versus ability to ride the bike as I'd like/comfort in heat.

At 13, I nearly lost the use of my left leg/ankle...in the past 12 years I've had 11 orthopedic surgeries related to moto and have broken around 35 bones, six dislocations, and have torn a few things. I'm well versed in motocross injuries at this point.
Damn! That sure is a lot of injuries, ouch!
tcallahan707
1/9/2018 4:32pm
I've said the same thing about knee braces and football players, or at least lineman. If they all wear them, it isn't a disadvantage. The alternative is a ruined season for the player and potentially the team. These same arguments were had when the NHL mandated helmets. They grandfathered it in, which was a smart move. Now, they are in the midst of the same conversations with half shields. Players are taking 100mph disks of rubber to the face. Is it going to take a star losing an eye to make it mandatory? I hope not but humans tend to be reactive rather than proactive.

Now, shoulder injuries in moto are more along the lines of knee injuries in football, but I do think a chest and back plate should be mandatory. There is a difference between protecting your investment, and protecting human life. I really don't want to see a rider take a peg or bar to the chest with catastrophic results before this happens. It blows my mind that protecting an area with vital organs is not an AMA rule. But hey, at least the forearms are covered up!

I took the end of my bars to the chest at a regional a few years ago and when I got back to the pits, I had to pop my Fox Proframe back out. I don't even want to think about the possibilities if I wasn't wearing it.
kiwifan
1/9/2018 4:36pm
langhammx wrote:

PJRAUS
1/9/2018 4:42pm

When I look at the gravel rash on those old shoulder cups , I'm glad it was between my shoulder and the ground.

It looks like shit so I'd like to get a new one
Does anyone know if the new Fox armour has the suspension mesh under the shoulder cups like this old one does?
It really works well, but I'm not sure if the new ones have it or just foam ender there?

Post a reply to: Dean Wilson Injury Update

The Latest