Deals that just didn't happened in the end

3/31/2020 4:00pm
Villopoto talked recently about going to factory honda, but the offer was too low.

lloyd2890 wrote:
Would like to know what he classed as too low......
Motofinne wrote:
I can't remember if he mentioned any numbers but it wasn't even close to what Kawasaki offered.
He said that it went straight into the shredder, so i imagine it was bloody low. We'd have to imagine that villo would of been 800k-1m per year from kawi.
BUTWHY?
3/31/2020 4:08pm
lloyd2890 wrote:
Would like to know what he classed as too low......
Motofinne wrote:
I can't remember if he mentioned any numbers but it wasn't even close to what Kawasaki offered.
He said that it went straight into the shredder, so i imagine it was bloody low. We'd have to imagine that villo would of been 800k-1m...
He said that it went straight into the shredder, so i imagine it was bloody low. We'd have to imagine that villo would of been 800k-1m per year from kawi.
Try 3.4 million/year
MXMattii
4/1/2020 6:43pm
Justin Barcia to Europe, he talked with people already a few times.
Clément Desalle and Gautier Paulin to America.
591MX
4/1/2020 7:01pm
2001. Riding a freight train of momentum after earning a low triple-digit number in the hotly contested District 14 C-class, a 16 year old me was offered a ridiculous deal worth north of 9 percent off of parts at the local powerhouse Yamaha dealership if I was willing to spring for a new bike. Sadly, I walked away and my once promising Mx superstar aspirations were never attained. Now I’m left to wonder what could have been if only I would’ve had the proper guidance and tutelage of the portly scented candle enthusiast they had working the parts counter. Alas...

The Shop

yz25
4/1/2020 7:01pm
Man. RD and/or RV on a Honda??? Just putting a idea on how that would have changed things to where they are today with the the 2 riders and the teams they ended up signing with. Where would Kwai and KTM be of time went a different direction? Hard to think the 2 riders didn’t have a lot of input into the teams success!
Appears Honda had a lot pride in there brand back in the day when offering contracts. With the signing of KR seems like they finally got the message.

Great thread!!!!
ga_pike
4/2/2020 5:13am
Ricky Johnson to Hondaline Gear?

That's one of those stories you hear about and watched from the sidelines (without social media) and still can't believe. Poster boy for Fox ends up being forced to switch gear brands, ends up with JT and Thor to finish out his career.

Didn't Fox shoot their catalog photos with RJ and then this all went down and they had to scramble? I know there are some photos of RJ in the blue/pink/zebra gear that Bradshaw (and later Stewart) made famous but he switched before the season.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/2/2020 5:48am
Wonder if Albee would have continued his gp form if he stayed on the Honda? The rm in the states seemed to be way off until...
Wonder if Albee would have continued his gp form if he stayed on the Honda? The rm in the states seemed to be way off until 98/99 with Reynard Larry and then greg
He was so talented and those bikes were so good, imo he would’ve been hurt a lot less and won a lot more.

Those Suzuki’s were junk.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/2/2020 5:51am
MXMattii wrote:
Because we've no real racing, we can do some decent bench racing. So what are deals that were close to happening but in the end didn't...
Because we've no real racing, we can do some decent bench racing. So what are deals that were close to happening but in the end didn't...

Stefan Everts to Makita Suzuki USA for two years (outdoors only) there is a part in his book about it.

Christophe Pourcel to the Monster Energy 450 Kawasaki team.
GODZILLA wrote:
Pourcel was the only one who thought he was close to signing with factory Kawi. But he actually was with Jeff Ward Racing... which would have...
Pourcel was the only one who thought he was close to signing with factory Kawi.

But he actually was with Jeff Ward Racing... which would have led him nowhere anyway.
He had a solid offer from Kawasaki but wanted more money. He asked for more than RV signed for.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/2/2020 5:53am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/30/414874/s1200_A18A19FF_F2C2_4956_8FFF_24918B5824BD.jpg[/img]

He should’ve taken that deal, no salary but heavy bonus on a good bike. Instead he went for the money on a junk bike and lasted 3 races.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/2/2020 5:56am
yz25 wrote:
Man. RD and/or RV on a Honda??? Just putting a idea on how that would have changed things to where they are today with the the...
Man. RD and/or RV on a Honda??? Just putting a idea on how that would have changed things to where they are today with the the 2 riders and the teams they ended up signing with. Where would Kwai and KTM be of time went a different direction? Hard to think the 2 riders didn’t have a lot of input into the teams success!
Appears Honda had a lot pride in there brand back in the day when offering contracts. With the signing of KR seems like they finally got the message.

Great thread!!!!
KTM would be average without Dungey.
Johnny Ringo
4/2/2020 9:31am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/30/414874/s1200_A18A19FF_F2C2_4956_8FFF_24918B5824BD.jpg[/img]

UpTiTe wrote:
He should’ve taken that deal, no salary but heavy bonus on a good bike. Instead he went for the money on a junk bike and lasted...
He should’ve taken that deal, no salary but heavy bonus on a good bike. Instead he went for the money on a junk bike and lasted 3 races.
Talk about a career full of weird decisions. Quite the enigma
Bidirella
4/2/2020 9:44am
Talk about a career full of weird decisions. Quite the enigma
His career went pretty dang good and impressive until that moment of testing and finding a 450 ride.

Rode Kawi all his 250 days to that point and came back from a big injury.

A big shoulda woulda coulda if he got that Factory Kawi 450 ride.
Bidirella
4/2/2020 9:51am
Why didnt the deal of Factory Kawi 450 and Pourcel didn’t happen in the end?

There where rumors of money but there also was a interview of Pourcel at that time he said he never asked a big price and Villo would not be team mates with him..

Or is this also something the outside world would never get the know?

Got me wondering again seeing his name and photo in this thread.
Johnny Ringo
4/2/2020 9:52am
Bidirella wrote:
Why didnt the deal of Factory Kawi 450 and Pourcel didn’t happen in the end? There where rumors of money but there also was a interview...
Why didnt the deal of Factory Kawi 450 and Pourcel didn’t happen in the end?

There where rumors of money but there also was a interview of Pourcel at that time he said he never asked a big price and Villo would not be team mates with him..

Or is this also something the outside world would never get the know?

Got me wondering again seeing his name and photo in this thread.
UpTite lays it out pretty good above
Bidirella
4/2/2020 9:57am
Yes more money then RV, but himself says that’s never been the case.

So what’s the truth?
Money
4/2/2020 10:00am
it would be cool to know about all the top secret test that have happened over the years. we know about the bubba honda test and reed suzuki. i bet RC had a few of them kinda test down at the farm.
Kenny Lingus
4/2/2020 10:10am
Somebody may have mentioned it already but I'd say McGrath not signing with Honda very late to ride Suzuki was very surprising. He probably would've won the title on the Honda even if he didn't like it. No way it was worse for him than that Suzuki at that time and he still finished second by 15 points.
hubbardmx50
4/2/2020 10:17am

UpTiTe wrote:
He should’ve taken that deal, no salary but heavy bonus on a good bike. Instead he went for the money on a junk bike and lasted...
Seriously, I would have rode a Geico Honda for free before going anywhere near that 2010+ gen YZ450. I just noticed he’s actually on a 450 in the picture, check the header pipe. I wonder if that was supposed to be a 450 deal like what Hahn and Tomac did. Or if it meant he stayed in the 250 class for another year etc.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/2/2020 10:26am
Bidirella wrote:
Yes more money then RV, but himself says that’s never been the case.

So what’s the truth?
I know for a fact that Money is the truth no matter what Pourcel says.

It was the end of 2010, RV took a pay cut because he had two lack luster seasons and Chris came in wanting more than RV was making on his previous contract. They kept negotiating, it got late and Weimar told him he’d race for the price in their budget, it was done.

The Japanese wanted Chris and he knew it and ended up over playing his hand.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/2/2020 10:30am
Somebody may have mentioned it already but I'd say McGrath not signing with Honda very late to ride Suzuki was very surprising. He probably would've won...
Somebody may have mentioned it already but I'd say McGrath not signing with Honda very late to ride Suzuki was very surprising. He probably would've won the title on the Honda even if he didn't like it. No way it was worse for him than that Suzuki at that time and he still finished second by 15 points.
Here’s a little secret some might know.

The last part of the 08 outdoor season, James stopped riding a Kawasaki during the week and was staying near Bakersfield supercross testing with L&M on a Yamaha at a secret track.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
4/2/2020 11:42am
Reed posted these awhile back. I wonder how close it got to happening.

4/2/2020 11:51am
Wonder who the big sponsor was emig talked about on whiskey, said he could have had lusk and mc what a team that would have been!
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
4/2/2020 12:33pm
Wonder who the big sponsor was emig talked about on whiskey, said he could have had lusk and mc what a team that would have been!
I remember hearing him talking about it before and I believe it was US ARMY.
Bidirella
4/2/2020 12:34pm
UpTiTe wrote:
I know for a fact that Money is the truth no matter what Pourcel says. It was the end of 2010, RV took a pay cut...

It was the end of 2010, RV took a pay cut because he had two lack luster seasons and Chris came in wanting more than RV was making on his previous contract. They kept negotiating, it got late and Weimar told him he’d race for the price in their budget, it was done.

Thanks for you’re respons.

Stupid and dumb move from Chris and good for Kawi cuz it turned around really good with RV.

Really would have liked to see Chris on that bike with a full prep that time. After that loss he never reached his potentially again.
yz133rider
4/2/2020 12:36pm
UpTiTe wrote:
I know for a fact that Money is the truth no matter what Pourcel says. It was the end of 2010, RV took a pay cut...

Bidirella wrote:
Thanks for you’re respons. Stupid and dumb move from Chris and good for Kawi cuz it turned around really good with RV. Really would have liked...
Thanks for you’re respons.

Stupid and dumb move from Chris and good for Kawi cuz it turned around really good with RV.

Really would have liked to see Chris on that bike with a full prep that time. After that loss he never reached his potentially again.
Agreed one of the biggest losses for us fans too. He would have been amazing to see on the Geico 450 or the kawi 450.
Johnny Ringo
4/2/2020 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2020 12:56pm
Somebody may have mentioned it already but I'd say McGrath not signing with Honda very late to ride Suzuki was very surprising. He probably would've won...
UpTiTe wrote:
Here’s a little secret some might know. The last part of the 08 outdoor season, James stopped riding a Kawasaki during the week and was staying...
Here’s a little secret some might know.

The last part of the 08 outdoor season, James stopped riding a Kawasaki during the week and was staying near Bakersfield supercross testing with L&M on a Yamaha at a secret track.
How soon into 2012 did he start riding the Suzuki during the week? Had to be before Daytona

Looking back, that is so gnarly. Imagine Eli being unhappy with kawi and riding a different bike during the week. Wild.
4/2/2020 1:11pm

Garden tool flaming KTM team in 2000.

A.M. Leonard with Terlecki and Oehlof were a one season satellite team that was supposed to switch to Suzuki in 2001 to be the official Suzuki 125cc team. They even told KTM to kick rocks. In October of 2000 Suzuki bailed during negotiations, left the team high and dry, and just like that another satellite team evaporated into nothingness.

I had a team poster from Millville with Oehlof's signature.

Post a reply to: Deals that just didn't happened in the end

The Latest