Deals that just didn't happened in the end

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2020 7:58 PM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Its a shame how short lived Townley’s US career was, amazing rider for sure and would have a 250 outdoor Championship on his ...more

Yaa it definitely sucks. If he didn’t get hurt in ‘06 when he first came over here he very well could’ve won that outdoor title. He won the ‘04 world title and won a few races and got 2nd or 3rd overall in the 450 class on a KTM 450. He would’ve been a title favorite for ‘06 IMO. But he was supposed to come back over and ride for Reed in 2012 when Reed got hurt pretty bad in supercross casing RV. I don’t think he did anymore races in the U.S but he did win a MXGP race on factory Suzuki racing for Everts in 2014 I believe.

|

3/30/2020 8:03 PM

What about Mike Alessi to Geico Honda for 2005 and beyond (factory connection back then)? I believe he was going to ride for Gecio and not factory Honda, but Geico wouldn’t sign Jeff too and that’s why that didn’t happen. I wonder if he would’ve been able to close out a outdoor title on a Honda or not? IMO he would’ve been a better rider all around because I think Geico wouldve made him take supercross a lot more serious instead of kind of letting him coast thru it to just be ready for the outdoors.

|

3/30/2020 8:17 PM

Now this is a quality thread

|

3/30/2020 9:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2020 9:57 PM

Damon Huffman to Factory Honda

Honda wanted him when he moved up to the 250 class. But Jim Hale (RIP) wouldn’t let him out of his AXO contract and Honda had a team deal with another gear company (Fox ?)
What could have he done on the Honda ? We will never know ....

|

3/30/2020 11:09 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

Greg Albertyn to American Honda was a done for 95.

Jeffrey Herlings to Honda on a 450 was close until KTM offered him a ...more

UpTiTe, do you (or anyone here) have any further info as to why the deal with Greg and Honda never materialized? Just curious.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

3/30/2020 11:28 PM

Rotaholic wrote:

Townley was off to twotwo motorsports before he had a huge crash, he would have been in his prime too

SoCalMX70 wrote:

His prime? I guess if we are just judging by age. It all came and went as he laid in one hospital bed after another.

I do ...more

He was absolutely fucking hauling in Aus and said himself quite a few times he believes he was riding better than he ever had... Given he's a very technical and smooth rider, I think that is worth something.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/30/2020 11:32 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

UpTiTe, do you (or anyone here) have any further info as to why the deal with Greg and Honda never materialized? Just curious. ...more

They went over it on the Whiskey Throttle podcast I think – but now I can't remember. Wasn't Lammy affected too?

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/30/2020 11:35 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

UpTiTe, do you (or anyone here) have any further info as to why the deal with Greg and Honda never materialized? Just curious. ...more

Listen to Greg’s whiskey throttle show, he talks about why it didn’t happen. Basically Honda told him they didn’t need another 250 guy in the US when they already had McGrath at that time.

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

3/30/2020 11:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2020 11:36 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

Crush wrote:

They went over it on the Whiskey Throttle podcast I think –but now I can't remember. Wasn't Lammy affected too?

Beat me to it! Lol! And apparently they were gonna get rid of Lamson to make room for Greg but signed Lamson when Greg didn’t happen.

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

3/30/2020 11:36 PM

BUTWHY? wrote:

How about Reed to Makita Suzuki, JT$ said he even rode the bike and tried everything in his power to get on the team if things ...more

Jt$ wrote:

He's talking about a prior time in 2004.. RC got the deal for the 2005 season and beyond but CR tested the bike also during ...more

mxjon454 wrote:

I remember reading about this too, Reed said the motor was really close to his Yamaha motor. He said that he wore Sebastian ...more

Huge implications on that one..

Would have meant: No ali frame YZ250 in 05; no boat-like YZF450 for three years after that; and then another few years of Reedy on a Yellow 450...

I don't know if he holds regrets but as a life-long fan that's a massive what-if.

|

Cheers, Crush

3/30/2020 11:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2020 11:39 PM

Boomslang wrote:

Crush wrote:

They went over it on the Whiskey Throttle podcast I think –but now I can't remember. Wasn't Lammy affected too?

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Beat me to it! Lol! And apparently they were gonna get rid of Lamson to make room for Greg but signed Lamson when Greg didn’t ...more

Was here...

So just Honda being weird and a bit cunty like they did with MC, RC and twotwo/Deano... Wow.

|

Cheers, Crush

3/30/2020 11:48 PM

mxjon454 wrote:

Yaa it definitely sucks. If he didn’t get hurt in ‘06 when he first came over here he very well could’ve won that outdoor ...more

he won the qualifier in Thailand, then did an epic interview on how shit the track was, and they should have been in NZ,

he never won the GP, pretty sure he podiumed in Thailand tho,

|

3/31/2020 12:20 AM

Villopoto talked recently about going to factory honda, but the offer was too low.

|

There are two kinds of people against dirt bikes, those who never tried and those who weren't good at them.

3/31/2020 1:51 AM

Jt$ wrote:

He's talking about a prior time in 2004.. RC got the deal for the 2005 season and beyond but CR tested the bike also during ...more

mxjon454 wrote:

I remember reading about this too, Reed said the motor was really close to his Yamaha motor. He said that he wore Sebastian ...more

Crush wrote:

Would have meant: No ali frame YZ250 in 05; no boat-like YZF450 for three years after that; ...more

What do you mean it would’ve meant no aluminum frame YZ250 and no boat-like YZF450? If Reed would’ve went to Suzuki then Yamaha wouldn’t have came out with the aluminum frame 250? It’s too bad that Yamaha came out with that new 250 in ‘05 because Reed did he absolutely loved his ‘04 and that he was chasing his time with the aluminum frame. Reed would’ve probably kept RC a lot closer in points with the ‘04 bike, I know his 16th at A1 in ‘05 definitely didn’t help him out.

|

3/31/2020 1:56 AM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Its a shame how short lived Townley’s US career was, amazing rider for sure and would have a 250 outdoor Championship on his ...more

mxjon454 wrote:

Yaa it definitely sucks. If he didn’t get hurt in ‘06 when he first came over here he very well could’ve won that outdoor ...more

scott_nz wrote:

he won the qualifier in Thailand, then did an epic interview on how shit the track was, and they should have been in NZ,

he ...more

Yup!! That’s exactly what it was and I just remembered that interview since you mentioned it!!! That was awesome lol Gusieepi Lunongo (dunno how to spell his name) couldn’t handle the honesty and was not very happy about that. Didn’t he try and make Townley apologize for that or threatened him with a suspension or something of that nature if he didn’t publicly apologize?

|

3/31/2020 1:59 AM

mxjon454 wrote:

Yup!! That’s exactly what it was and I just remembered that interview since you mentioned it!!! That was awesome lol Gusieepi ...more

he got black listed after it, although nothing offical some of the stuff like parking etc for motorhomes was effected,

Loungo was not happy with him for sure,

|

3/31/2020 2:48 AM

Rotaholic wrote:

Townley was off to twotwo motorsports before he had a huge crash, he would have been in his prime too

I was shattered that didn't happed.

|

3/31/2020 3:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2020 3:12 AM

mxjon454 wrote:

Crush wrote:

Would have meant: No ali frame YZ250 in 05; no boat-like YZF450 for three years after that; ...more

mxjon454 wrote:

What do you mean it would’ve meant no aluminum frame YZ250 and no boat-like YZF450? If Reed would’ve went to Suzuki then ...more

I mean if he signed with Zook for 05 he would never have been on those bikes... I think on his 04 bike in 05 it's an all out war – he's not getting passed on hardpack tracks or flat turns, that's for sure. It's actually hilarious flipping between the 03/04 and 2005 seasons. Different rider almost – he's so tentative in turns, where the year before he's standing on the pegs over the front he's got so much confidence in it.

Yamaha's production line definitely wasn't influenced by the riders, because DV, Ferry and Reed all said they told Yamaha they didn't like the 05 frame and Matthes has recounted numerous times that when Yamaha would look at the Honda 450 etc they were like, oh shit, we're behind...

|

Cheers, Crush

3/31/2020 3:39 AM

Aussie_power_sports wrote:

Villopoto talked recently about going to factory honda, but the offer was too low.

Would like to know what he classed as too low......

|

3/31/2020 3:49 AM

lloyd2890 wrote:

I can't remember if he mentioned any numbers but it wasn't even close to what Kawasaki offered.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

3/31/2020 3:53 AM

lloyd2890 wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

I can't remember if he mentioned any numbers but it wasn't even close to what Kawasaki offered.

any ideas/rumours on what kawasaki offered?

|

3/31/2020 4:21 AM

Rupert X wrote:

Years back- PhotoThis is a weird one, was on a plane out west and guy sitting near me was an executive with Harley, he told the ...more

KTM dodged a bullet on that one.

|

3/31/2020 4:24 AM

Does Shane McElrath taking a dive last year for TLD KTM so as not to point out of 250 supercross for the following year, then jumping teams to Star Yamaha count? whistling

|

3/31/2020 4:27 AM

UpTiTe wrote:

And a factory ECU...

|

3/31/2020 5:39 AM

Stews rumored comebacks in 2017 (Oakland, Daytona)

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

3/31/2020 6:04 AM

mxjon454 wrote:

scott_nz wrote:

he ...more

mxjon454 wrote:

Yup!! That’s exactly what it was and I just remembered that interview since you mentioned it!!! That was awesome lol Gusieepi ...more

This was a very odd situation. After his comments about Thailand he was 'injured' for two GPs. However, the day after the second GP he posted on IG that he had done two 40 minute motos around Lommel including GoPro footage. I think he had a ban on the quiet.

|

3/31/2020 6:40 AM

My deal to race for Factory Honda..... in the end, it just didn't happen.

Any truth to the rumors of Tomac potentially going to KTM instead of Kawi after his Geico deal was done?

|

3/31/2020 7:53 AM

This thread is the exact thing I love seeing in this forum. Awesome.

|

3/31/2020 8:03 AM

Nick Wey to Mcgraths team.

|

3/31/2020 10:24 AM

Snapper wrote:

This was a very odd situation. After his comments about Thailand he was 'injured' for two GPs. However, the day after the ...more

he never got banned, just some blacklash, like when they park you at the very back of the campervan lot, not up the front with the other ex world champs and just stupid shit like that, it was a bit hard on his Wife as they had 3 young kids with them as well, certain passes and stuff that they usually got were taken away etc,

he got sick after Thailand, battled through the Euro GP, and missed Argentina, (we found as as we landed in thier). still a fucken awesome). then got hurt testing in Italy, ending the come back

|