Dealing with people when selling a bike

RMT
Edited Date/Time 7/9/2021 12:13pm
Its so frustrating trying to sell a bike anymore. In the past, you could actually trust other humans to not be complete douche bags. Nowadays, its almost expected and unusual to find a real buyer without dealing with the hundreds of scammers and people that think they can buy products for crazy low prices and have no idea how supply and demand work.

Story: I am lucky and have an opportunity to get bikes each year at a good price and at the end of the model year sell them off. Now that I am older and with work and kids getting in the way of fun time, I don't ride very much and its time to sell and get a 2022 model so it too can sit around and collect dust. lol. I listed a 2021 model 250F with 3 hours on it on Facebook here in SoCal for $7500 (its not a yellow bike). I have received offers from $4000 to a high of $6000. The bike is not new but at the same time, if you saw it you would think it was. It was used for a display much more than it was ridden. You would also be hard pressed to find a 2021 like model in dealerships and if you did, you wouldn't walk out for less than $10k. And, with the bike being a 2021, it will be grandfathered in so it can be ridden on public land anytime of the year going forward in California. I could sell it to a dealer for a little less but then someone will get charged at least $9k + out the door and I like to sell to individuals if possible and pass along a deal somewhat. I have no problem with people making an offer but people shoot you a very low number and when you politely tell them you wont go that low, they have no response. No counter offer, nothing. They go all in with their lowball offer and that's it, wad shot. I think we need to teach a class in negotiating in High School because people seem to have lost that ability.

I know I will sell it and like usual, will probably become friends with the buyer and keep in touch with them long after selling the bike. But while you're trying to sell, you sure see some slimy folks that expect things to be to be sold to them for cheap just because. I know you guys in the retail world live this life 24/7 so Wah Wah I know, I'm just venting. I cringe when I post up something for sale on Facebook/Craigslist anymore knowing what's in store for the next couple of days or weeks.
|
Yeti831
7/7/2021 10:44am
If you get a stupid low offer, counter them by raising the price the amount they lowered it. Or just don’t respond at all.

I just got done dealing with this crap when I sold my car. Was getting offers for $12-$15k, dealer gave me $17k on trade in. Kept getting offers since some had my email after I pulled the ad. I sent them the dealer link being sold for $20k plus fees and said they go haggle down from that price now with them on top of dealer fees they could’ve avoided 😂

There’s always inconsiderate asshats. Best you can do is ignore them.
Talisker
7/7/2021 10:59am
People who have actual money to spend will usually negotiate with you. The rest are dreamers!!!!
I feel your pain….
yak651
Fantasy
214th
7/7/2021 11:02am
Sounds like a good price, I just ignore offers I don't think are worth responding to. I don't let it bother me....it's nothing personal just business..
Dimblewambie
7/7/2021 11:03am
Don’t worry, even if you respond and accept their low ball offer they still ghost you. Marketplace and offer up have both helped and hurt the modern days of buying and selling private party.. bring back CL, Penny saver and going to 7/11 for the weekly trader papers.

The Shop

motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
7/7/2021 11:07am
I have sold 10+ bikes on Vital in the last 6 years with no issues. The last guy I sold a bike to said he looked to see how many posts I had before determining if I was a worthy seller.
xrmark
7/7/2021 11:10am
Offer up sucks. Impossible to actually get someone to show up let alone offer you a decent price. Sucks what it’s turned into
eeazye
7/7/2021 11:18am
I’ve found telling a guy I won’t discuss price until they come out and look at it, separates out a large chunk of bs. I operate the same way when buying too. I’ll ask the guy if he’s negotiable, and leave it at that. If he says no, I don’t go look at it. If yes, I’m taking cash and usually have a good idea of what I’m willing to pay before I get there. Of course, there’s always the concern of someone only coming out to size you up and case the place. It can definitely be a frustrating process.
kNewc
7/7/2021 11:20am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2021 11:21am
eeazye wrote:
I’ve found telling a guy I won’t discuss price until they come out and look at it, separates out a large chunk of bs. I operate...
I’ve found telling a guy I won’t discuss price until they come out and look at it, separates out a large chunk of bs. I operate the same way when buying too. I’ll ask the guy if he’s negotiable, and leave it at that. If he says no, I don’t go look at it. If yes, I’m taking cash and usually have a good idea of what I’m willing to pay before I get there. Of course, there’s always the concern of someone only coming out to size you up and case the place. It can definitely be a frustrating process.
Same here. Generally if they ask what's the lowest I'll go or if they want an "OBO" Price I tell them I'll meet them in person and we can work something out. If they won't even come out you know they aren't interested.
Tracktor
7/7/2021 11:22am
I put right in my add if you lowball me I will probably fuck with you for entertainment purposes..I've found that anyone who talks about price with first message isn't a buyer. I'm brutally honest in my ads and price fairly. I also make sure that bike looks as good or better in person and disclose any known issues so I'm not wasting my time or a real buyers. Usually first person to look at whatever I'm selling buys it. I've had some funny exchanges with tire kickers though!....
7/7/2021 11:39am
Works both ways, I recently saw a dual sport on Facebook i wanted, I told the guy i would take it (full asking price) and asked if i could come look at it in the morning and buy it... Seller proceeds to tell me he would like to put fresh gas and plug in said bike before i drive to come look at it (couple hours away). i said no issue just let me get first crack at the bike either way. I wake up the next morning and the sale post is deleted and the seller never even had the balls to at least say sorry or notify he sold it from under me... Society/people/respect in USA has gone to shit.
SCC
7/7/2021 11:42am
Just state in your add PRICE IS ROCK SOLID. NO OFFERS. NO TRADES. CASH ONLY. I buy and sell for a living. Don’t respond to those with those with reading comprehension problems.
Mcflurry98
7/7/2021 12:18pm
I decided to sell my 2018 450 SXF on consignment at my local dealership a few months ago. I dropped it off, we agreed on a cut that he would take from the sale, and I told him how much I wanted to make off of it.

30 days later he called me and told me there was a check waiting for me at the shop. I didn't have to deal with anyone or do anything.

I'll never list on FB or CL again.

SPODEBOY
7/7/2021 12:29pm
There is always the right buyer for your bike if it's priced accurately. Weeding through the human debris is now the challenge. There is that one guy who walks up and says, "Yup, that's what I have been looking for".

If any prospective buyer asks me anything weird like, "Can you deliver?", "What's your lowest you'll take?", I don't even respond. I wait for clear articulate communication to even reply.

Spudnut
7/7/2021 12:52pm
I got super lucky with my last bike sell, the 3rd person who contacted me I ended up making a deal with the kid was super respectful and old school. He was even able to come to me since my truck is a shit box and didn’t even low ball me via text (after asking all his questions and thinking it over for a night) settled on 500 off asking price.
rmgsxr
7/7/2021 1:15pm
So what you're trying to say is that you'd love to sell bikes at a dealership where all buyers are legit?
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/7/2021 1:37pm
Part of the problem is guys who have $7,500 cash to spend on a dirt bike can probably just as easily afford a new bike. You need those guys to come look at it, but my guess is a lot of those guys won't want to risk spending that kind of cheese on a "Used" bike. You know what you have, but you have to get the guys with money in hand ready to buy to come look at it, not the shoppers who more than likely don't have that kind of money laying around anyway. Good luck !

RMT
7/7/2021 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2021 7:38pm
Thanks guys, I was feeling a little Karen like whining about selling a bike. Again, just venting and not liking how things are now vs the good ole days. Being old and having scope can sometimes suck badly! I haven’t even checked the ad today, can wait to see what is waiting for me.

I did list the price as firm and no trades so the people that are hitting me up are most likely scammers or kids playing around. its only been 24 hours and I know It will sell and I’m not in any hurry, but these things make you lose faith in humanity quickly. Funny also that after 15 years or so on this forum and I never realized the Bazar was a for sale area!
nytsmaC
7/7/2021 2:15pm
Selling anything is a pain in the ass. Even giving stuff away is annoying, 8 messages of "Is this still available" and then nothing. I wonder if it's gotten like this for salesmen at the dealership too or if it's just an online thing?

People suck.
TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
7/7/2021 2:24pm
Dealerships can be a huge pain in the ass too. When I was in sales I couldn't believe how many people would willingly give all their information to a website, OUR website, then proceed to yell at you and threaten to sue you because you have the audacity to call them.

I hate buying things off private sellers. I was looking for a beater van not long ago and had to explain to one guy how a title that's been jumped three times is of no use to me.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/7/2021 2:57pm
Here are some useful responses:

"I have a title in my hand; please have cash in yours."

"$6,000 is a nice offer, but less than I was willing to sell the bike for. I'd be willing to come down a little from my asking price, however. Would $X,000 work for you?" ($7200, $7000, $6900.... whatever is acceptable to you, the seller.)

"I'm sure you'll agree when you see the bike that it's worth $7,500. However, I'd be willing to negotiate a little. Why don't you come look at it and make sure you like the bike. If so, we can negotiate a good deal."

I had a great experience selling my TT-R110 a few weeks back. The guy knew what I had, knew nobody had one, and didn't blink an eye at my (very reasonable) price. I ended up selling it for about $300 less than what I paid in 2014 for it. Not too bad.
toomanykaws
7/7/2021 2:58pm
I sold ten bikes last year. Sure met some stupid people. Not sure many could actually ride a bike. At all. There is no fixing ignorance and stupidly.
mb60
7/7/2021 4:32pm
Sold 3 bikes last year off market place. The guys that bought bikes showed up with cash and walked away happy. Dealing with people that low-ball is very easily ignored and blocked on Facebook. Really no difference to me then dealing with a dealer trying to low ball me as well.
cwel11
7/7/2021 5:01pm
Saw the title if this thread and had to check to see if I didn’t start it lol. It’s such a nightmare most of the time selling. Even now in a “sellers market” it’s still frustrating. You will eventually sell your stuff for a price you can live with, but unfortunately you’ve got to put up with goofs for a while. Every time I buy a new bike I think, why didn’t I just trade it in and take the hit? Drives me nuts the lowballing. Especially on messenger. If you’re gonna lowball me, have the stones to do it in person.
hubbardmx50
7/7/2021 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2021 5:03pm
Not a Karen at all. I absolutely hate selling used things, not just dirtbikes or moto related things. Offer up is horrible. Although I did meet a few people on there who actually showed up on time and don’t lowball me. My buddies have good luck with Facebook marketplace, but I refuse to make a FB account.
JMCR250
7/7/2021 6:43pm
Some people are just idiots. On the purchasing side of the coin, I was buying a used bike a few years ago. The guy was asking $2500, which was a little high, but not outrageously so. After looking the bike over, I said "so you want 2500?" His response -- "Yes, but I won't take any less than $2100." Sold!
RMT
7/7/2021 7:49pm
rmgsxr wrote:
So what you're trying to say is that you'd love to sell bikes at a dealership where all buyers are legit?
Yes, do you have any openings and would you allow me to still own a blue bike? Lol
Hollywood009
Fantasy
1232nd
7/7/2021 9:18pm
I do this for a living, and these days marketplace is the most popular way of listing them.

90% of the people you deal with are BS but you cant let it bother you.
if someone low balls you just offer them a cheaper bike
Bman_145
7/7/2021 9:31pm
Works both ways, I recently saw a dual sport on Facebook i wanted, I told the guy i would take it (full asking price) and asked...
Works both ways, I recently saw a dual sport on Facebook i wanted, I told the guy i would take it (full asking price) and asked if i could come look at it in the morning and buy it... Seller proceeds to tell me he would like to put fresh gas and plug in said bike before i drive to come look at it (couple hours away). i said no issue just let me get first crack at the bike either way. I wake up the next morning and the sale post is deleted and the seller never even had the balls to at least say sorry or notify he sold it from under me... Society/people/respect in USA has gone to shit.
I don't want to be a dick about this, but I found it funny you posted that story considering I've yet to hear anything about this. I wouldn't care if you wanted to keep them all, you got them first and they are yours of course, but it's no fun being left hanging.
zdhbike
Fantasy
2201st
7/7/2021 9:31pm
I insist on calling and chatting on the phone before ever meeting up in person, very easy to tell if their a legit rider with a few questions about your/their local spots, recent races, etc. Never had anything vaguely sketchy happen, but a lot of people will flat out refuse to talk on the phone which to me is quite telling.
7/7/2021 10:16pm
RMT wrote:
Thanks guys, I was feeling a little Karen like whining about selling a bike. Again, just venting and not liking how things are now vs the...
Thanks guys, I was feeling a little Karen like whining about selling a bike. Again, just venting and not liking how things are now vs the good ole days. Being old and having scope can sometimes suck badly! I haven’t even checked the ad today, can wait to see what is waiting for me.

I did list the price as firm and no trades so the people that are hitting me up are most likely scammers or kids playing around. its only been 24 hours and I know It will sell and I’m not in any hurry, but these things make you lose faith in humanity quickly. Funny also that after 15 years or so on this forum and I never realized the Bazar was a for sale area!
You know, you are not the first person to say this. I have been here since 2008 and it was a long time before I realized, what the Bazar section was. Lol

Post a reply to: Dealing with people when selling a bike

The Latest