Dealerships Running Out Of Youth Products...

Related:
Create New Tag

4/30/2020 2:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2020 4:38 PM

With all the kids stuck at home, motorcycle and bicycle dealers across the country have been running out of youth products.

Youth products have been declining in sales for many years. Its one of the reasons that Harley Davidson bought STACYC over a year ago. They, like the other OE's have seen their average customer age climb higher and higher. STACYC tag line is "Creating the next generation of riders." Something our industry has sorely needed for several years.

It will be interesting to see how many of these "new" riders stay interested in two wheels for a life time. Even if it's a small percentage, its a good thing for the motorcycle industry.

I thing parents will be more open to keep their kids involved with bicycling and motorcycling because they are individual activities/sports. I think parents will be less supportive of team sports because it requires kids to be in huddles often and more interaction.

Time will tell.

|

4/30/2020 3:04 PM

A lot of good can come out of people being allowed to stay home for a while and spend more time with their family. Whether that's connecting over a newfound love of bikes or any other activity, I hope people are using this time wisely.

|

4/30/2020 3:20 PM

TriRacer27 wrote:

A lot of good can come out of people being allowed to stay home for a while and spend more time with their family. Whether that's connecting over a newfound love of bikes or any other activity, I hope people are using this time wisely.

Agreed. Although I am still working, my wife is home with the kids doing projects and things like that. We get an extra 1.5 hours together at home that we don't normally get so I was able to get both kids off of their training wheels on their bicycles. We are now that much closer to ditching them on their bikes too.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

4/30/2020 4:35 PM

I think this is a big chance for offroading. Our girls have now ridden each day since mid-march (45 days straight). Since gymnastics and soccer are out, the girls have plenty of time to ride and they love it. Photo

|

4/30/2020 4:55 PM

Place where I got my 110 from had 48 in on Thursday and was sold out on Saturday. Not sure if it was from youth riders or us adults. Also had one on hold at another dealership that never returned my calls or emails on time before I went out and found another. They said the phone was ringing off the hook for it. Should have answered my call 🤷🏻‍♂️

|

5/1/2020 12:06 PM

I work at a Yamaha dealer and it has been really cool to see the youth models picking up steam again, and kids are excited to ride! A gentleman came in for oil the other day and said his kid had been putting 4-5 hours on his 110 every day. That is awesome to hear! For a lot of these kids they're going to look back on this time and think it was the best time of their lives, no school and they get to ride motorcycles all day.

|

5/1/2020 12:24 PM

A friend of ours has a kid who is now suddenly relegated to his backyard track instead of hanging out with (non-moto) friends. He's been riding from sunup to sundown and his mom has to make him stop to eat something. I can imagine that's happening all over the country.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

5/1/2020 1:00 PM

We are a HOnda/KTM bike dealer and our offroad sales are incredible right now, especially the air cooled four stroke starter bikes.

|

5/1/2020 2:43 PM

Hard to find a good deal on a little bike on Craigslist right now. Used to be plenty to choose from, slim pickin's at the moment. This thing might actually be a real plus for the future of out sport.

|

"Never name a hog you may have to eat" - Willie Nelson

5/1/2020 2:46 PM

three9zero wrote:

We are a HOnda/KTM bike dealer and our offroad sales are incredible right now, especially the air cooled four stroke starter bikes.

Same here in FL. Kids coming in with parents left and right to buy bikes, parts, and gear. Love seeing it.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

5/1/2020 3:38 PM

Dirt bikes for kids are essential. I've lost track of how many kids have ridden on my tracks and the neighbors track, but it's worth all the $ and work building and maintaining them.

|

5/1/2020 7:44 PM

Reading these stories about the youth sales pick up is awesome!

|

5/2/2020 6:44 AM

I was at Walmart today and the bike racks were empty, absolutely sold out. I guess some good has come from all this!

|

2003 CR250R - 2006 KX250 (freessshhhh)

5/2/2020 10:54 AM

Jake_CR250R wrote:

I was at Walmart today and the bike racks were empty, absolutely sold out. I guess some good has come from all this!

Bike racks around here are empty too. Good to see signs of kids going outside.

|

5/3/2020 5:44 AM

Jake_CR250R wrote:

mikec265 wrote:

Bike racks around here are empty too. Good to see signs of kids going outside.

Same around here! My good friends own a local bike shop. I’d been talking to them about a new MTB set up and they told me buy now or wait until the 2021 set ups come out, warehouses are running out of bikes. Luckily I was able to get their last trailer to haul my boy. Said they didn’t know when they’d be able to get more.

They actually had to order bikes that they don’t normally carry just to make sure they have something to sell.

|

5/3/2020 6:08 AM

They say that motorcycling as a sport is expensive, well yes, it can be, but it can also be done on a realistic budget. That being said, have you seen what it costs to keep a child in a stick and ball sport? It used to be sign up for little league or a pee wee football or basketball league locally, then on to Jr./Sr. high school sports. Now, they have the league play, and when the season is over, they move onto these "select" leagues. My god the amount of money it costs just to sign your kid up for one of those. My cousin spends $1000 or more per year for her daughter to play select basketball and volleyball. Then add in the medical bills she's been piling up. Total knee reconstruction, torn ligament in ankle, fractured foot. And she's only in 9th grade now. Yea, bikes stand a chance of resurgence.

|

5/3/2020 6:57 AM

I was looking online at used bikes for sale and there arent very many. Used to be a whole lot more for sure.

|

5/3/2020 7:04 AM

I’ve been doing my part. A few years ago, I picked up a PW50 and a TT-R 50 that had been sitting for years. I got them for my son, but he wasn’t super interested in them. After installing a $20 Chinese carburetor, I got the P-Dub up and running. All the kids in the neighborhood now are lined up to take turns on the bike. I brought my next door neighbor and his son to our local dealer to pick out a helmet. The carb rebuild kit and battery just showed up for the TT-R, so soon my son and his buddies will be racing on the vacant lot at the end of the road. Good times.

|

5/3/2020 7:14 AM

I'm encouraged by this as well. By brothers shop has been selling a lot of KLX 110's and 140's.
Kids are actually getting outside now. Maybe we have a new generation of riders coming up.

|

5/3/2020 7:22 AM

Indy mxer wrote:

I'm encouraged by this as well. By brothers shop has been selling a lot of KLX 110's and 140's.
Kids are actually getting outside now. Maybe we have a new generation of riders coming up.

I hope. I've seen a surge of kids around here sharing old Honda trail bikes, taking turns.

|

5/3/2020 7:27 AM

Indy mxer wrote:

mikec265 wrote:

I hope. I've seen a surge of kids around here sharing old Honda trail bikes, taking turns.

And I've noticed more kids playing outside in general. Which is a good thing for sure.

|

5/3/2020 8:00 AM

MBR wrote:

I think this is a big chance for offroading. Our girls have now ridden each day since mid-march (45 days straight). Since gymnastics and soccer are out, the girls have plenty of time to ride and they love it. Photo

Nice cool Forget just Sundays it’s “On Every Day” now love it laughing Nice to hear something positive about the future of the sport !

|

5/3/2020 10:34 AM

guess people/kids are sick of being couped up inside watching youtube

|