Dealership pet peeves...

10/26/2017 4:31pm
Jabroni - regarding your point on add-on fees being warranted or justified in order for a dealer to survive and hopefully, thrive. Well I disagree. If...
Jabroni - regarding your point on add-on fees being warranted or justified in order for a dealer to survive and hopefully, thrive. Well I disagree.

If a dealer can't make a healthy enough profit margin when they sell at MSRP, than something is wrong. Take that up with the manufacturers and demand better wholesale dealer costs with better margins. Don't pass it along to the customer via bogus "fees". Delivering and setting up a bike has always been a part of the process and it should be able to be covered within the dealers established profit margins. Dealers and their manufacturer reps should have better dialogue regarding this.

Lots of experienced dealership people have chimed in to this thread. I'm wondering for anyone that has been in the business for a long time: have margins stayed about the same as bike costs have risen? Seems like dealers are really only making about 10% profit margins (horrible IMO) on new bikes. Were margins better back in the 2-stroke $5,499 MSRP days??
You're not disagreeing with me. You're disagreeing with reality.

Someone earlier brought up a very good analogy... airlines and ticketmaster. They list one price, and then hit you with a list of service charges upon checkout.

It's annoying. I hate it too. But they do it because it results in greaters sales AND profits. That's just a fact.

Ive already explained, if the the mfgs/dealers built the setup & freight into MSRP, it wouldnt help sales or revenue. it would hurt both.

Mfgs & Dealers arent out to piss people off for the fun of it. They do what works, dictated by consumer habits.
MelonFan123
10/26/2017 4:37pm
Motodork wrote:
I can't disagree with you more. You living in California you should know that it cost much more to do business here. Sure a guy in...
I can't disagree with you more. You living in California you should know that it cost much more to do business here. Sure a guy in Kansas can survive selling under MSRP but a guy in California can not, that has been a proven fact, ask Performance, Alba, Halm, OTD, Monclaire, 74 Motosports, and those are just a few that tried to operate without the extra "fees". Minimum wage is more in Califorina, meaning all salaries are more, a 200,000 dollar building in Ohio is a muliti million dollar building in Newport Beach, there are so many issues that drive up the cost of doing business in California. But we have all of these people here that will walk in and pay full retail for a $10,000.00 road bicycle but then need a deal on a motorcycle while they are driving a Tesla that they paid full price for.
Valid points, and while I'm sure they are a factor in the equation to being a successful business or not, the real estate costs and minimum wage issues aren't the things killing motorcycle dealers imo. Those same aspects affect ALL businesses in a retail environment when comparing one business in CA to the exact same one in KS.
Motodork
10/26/2017 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 4:54pm
Valid points, and while I'm sure they are a factor in the equation to being a successful business or not, the real estate costs and minimum...
Valid points, and while I'm sure they are a factor in the equation to being a successful business or not, the real estate costs and minimum wage issues aren't the things killing motorcycle dealers imo. Those same aspects affect ALL businesses in a retail environment when comparing one business in CA to the exact same one in KS.
You would be correct about all businesses having to deal with it, and that is why almost everything is more in California than Kansas. I would bet milk, cheese, gas, clothing, shoes, mortgage and cars are cheaper there. My point is when people say it is a bs fee across the board they are 100% wrong, there are many instances were the fees are needed to be able to operate.
Titan1
10/26/2017 5:25pm
I would also add, that if-as Jabroni said earlier-dealers are so important to the manufacturers, and the manufactures are aware that dealers have to add junk fees to MSRP to keep the lights on and the manufacture does nothing about it, then maybe the manufactures don’t care all that much about their dealers?

I mean if they can’t get their product to the dealer cheap enough that the dealer can sell it at the MSRP and not just keep the lights on, but make a profit...then there is an issue with the dealer and manufacturer business model. And I’m not sure how those prices are negotiated...so I don’t know if the dealers are at the mercy of the manufacturer or what?

The Shop

rmgsxr
10/26/2017 5:25pm
Jabroni - regarding your point on add-on fees being warranted or justified in order for a dealer to survive and hopefully, thrive. Well I disagree. If...
Jabroni - regarding your point on add-on fees being warranted or justified in order for a dealer to survive and hopefully, thrive. Well I disagree.

If a dealer can't make a healthy enough profit margin when they sell at MSRP, than something is wrong. Take that up with the manufacturers and demand better wholesale dealer costs with better margins. Don't pass it along to the customer via bogus "fees". Delivering and setting up a bike has always been a part of the process and it should be able to be covered within the dealers established profit margins. Dealers and their manufacturer reps should have better dialogue regarding this.

Lots of experienced dealership people have chimed in to this thread. I'm wondering for anyone that has been in the business for a long time: have margins stayed about the same as bike costs have risen? Seems like dealers are really only making about 10% profit margins (horrible IMO) on new bikes. Were margins better back in the 2-stroke $5,499 MSRP days??
I posted an invoice on a 2018 bike a few pages ago. If you read the post it explains how some of it works. Granted it was a 50 which there is more money to be made on a bigger bike but you should be able to get how some of it works.

You asked if margins have remained the same over the years. In the manufactures eyes they have. In my eyes(the dealer) they haven't and I will give you an example. In 2015 a particular yellow brand of 450 received a ton of new updates. My rep called all excited expecting me to be fired up and ready to order a pile of them. I told him that I was not as excited because it still looked the same. He came right back at me with "Well at least we are the only one that the price didn't go up!". I said "REALLY?!!". Don't tell me the fucking price didn't go up(I hated to cuss at this rep cause he was great)!! He told me to look at the sheet that the price was the same. I told him to look at his fucking sheet because the customer price(retail) stayed the same but my price(freight increased $50) went up. Fuck you guys! Fifty bucks doesn't sound like much but when they keep doing it, it adds up.

I actually had a rep for a company(that their 450 happens to be winning all the shoot outs) tell me that they don't expect me to make money selling a bike or ATV. He brought this up after I complained about another freight increase after the fuel prices dropped big. They said my best employee should be in the F&I office and if I didn't have that then I will go out of business. I hate fucking extended warranties. I don't buy them on anything. But I've been told, by the manufacture, that I had better be selling extended warranties, marking up your rate on financing, and selling other "paper" products to make a living.

I just want to sell bikes and make a living selling a bike at MSRP and if you think the manufactures are going to listen to our bitching, LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo
RMT
10/26/2017 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 5:37pm
rmgsxr wrote:
I posted an invoice on a 2018 bike a few pages ago. If you read the post it explains how some of it works. Granted it...
I posted an invoice on a 2018 bike a few pages ago. If you read the post it explains how some of it works. Granted it was a 50 which there is more money to be made on a bigger bike but you should be able to get how some of it works.

You asked if margins have remained the same over the years. In the manufactures eyes they have. In my eyes(the dealer) they haven't and I will give you an example. In 2015 a particular yellow brand of 450 received a ton of new updates. My rep called all excited expecting me to be fired up and ready to order a pile of them. I told him that I was not as excited because it still looked the same. He came right back at me with "Well at least we are the only one that the price didn't go up!". I said "REALLY?!!". Don't tell me the fucking price didn't go up(I hated to cuss at this rep cause he was great)!! He told me to look at the sheet that the price was the same. I told him to look at his fucking sheet because the customer price(retail) stayed the same but my price(freight increased $50) went up. Fuck you guys! Fifty bucks doesn't sound like much but when they keep doing it, it adds up.

I actually had a rep for a company(that their 450 happens to be winning all the shoot outs) tell me that they don't expect me to make money selling a bike or ATV. He brought this up after I complained about another freight increase after the fuel prices dropped big. They said my best employee should be in the F&I office and if I didn't have that then I will go out of business. I hate fucking extended warranties. I don't buy them on anything. But I've been told, by the manufacture, that I had better be selling extended warranties, marking up your rate on financing, and selling other "paper" products to make a living.

I just want to sell bikes and make a living selling a bike at MSRP and if you think the manufactures are going to listen to our bitching, LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo
Hey, easy there. But then again, by your metrics you're not talking about me.
10/26/2017 5:36pm
Titan1 wrote:
I would also add, that if-as Jabroni said earlier-dealers are so important to the manufacturers, and the manufactures are aware that dealers have to add junk...
I would also add, that if-as Jabroni said earlier-dealers are so important to the manufacturers, and the manufactures are aware that dealers have to add junk fees to MSRP to keep the lights on and the manufacture does nothing about it, then maybe the manufactures don’t care all that much about their dealers?

I mean if they can’t get their product to the dealer cheap enough that the dealer can sell it at the MSRP and not just keep the lights on, but make a profit...then there is an issue with the dealer and manufacturer business model. And I’m not sure how those prices are negotiated...so I don’t know if the dealers are at the mercy of the manufacturer or what?
You're still not understanding what the junk fees are and why they exist. This is going right over your head.
rmgsxr
10/26/2017 5:36pm
Titan1 wrote:
I would also add, that if-as Jabroni said earlier-dealers are so important to the manufacturers, and the manufactures are aware that dealers have to add junk...

I will tell you, the manufactures(most of them) don't give a shit about their dealers. The dealers are a number. The manufactures are worried about pumping out numbers. Sell them however cheap you want and we will send you more of them.

We had a local dealer advertising prices that were too good to be true. Once you showed up there they would hit you with the fees. They had terrible service and were caught multiple times turning in warranty claims without actually having done the work. That is a big no no in your dealer agreement. You think the manufacture shut them down? Hell no, they were selling too many bikes. How did they get shut down? They finally fucked over a local politician family member with their bait and switch tactics. The manufacture was probably trying to figure out how to get them going again.

And I will say, if I could sell everything in my store at MSRP I would be fine with that. Terrible money of some of the small stuff, in fact might lose a little after commissions but would do ok on big bikes. With today's society, nobody expects to pay retail for anything.
rmgsxr
10/26/2017 5:39pm
RMT wrote:
Hey, easy there. But then again, by your metrics you're not talking about me.
You know we're good.
Titan1
10/26/2017 5:55pm
Titan1 wrote:

rmgsxr wrote:
I will tell you, the manufactures(most of them) don't give a shit about their dealers. The dealers are a number. The manufactures are worried about pumping...
I will tell you, the manufactures(most of them) don't give a shit about their dealers. The dealers are a number. The manufactures are worried about pumping out numbers. Sell them however cheap you want and we will send you more of them.

We had a local dealer advertising prices that were too good to be true. Once you showed up there they would hit you with the fees. They had terrible service and were caught multiple times turning in warranty claims without actually having done the work. That is a big no no in your dealer agreement. You think the manufacture shut them down? Hell no, they were selling too many bikes. How did they get shut down? They finally fucked over a local politician family member with their bait and switch tactics. The manufacture was probably trying to figure out how to get them going again.

And I will say, if I could sell everything in my store at MSRP I would be fine with that. Terrible money of some of the small stuff, in fact might lose a little after commissions but would do ok on big bikes. With today's society, nobody expects to pay retail for anything.
It sounds like Manufactures not caring about the dealers is the root of the problem. And that’s unfortunate.
RMT
10/26/2017 5:58pm
You're still not understanding what the junk fees are and why they exist. This is going right over your head.
You seem to know all about how a dealership should work to be profitable. Are you a dealer consultant? You throw the name RideNow around a little, have you worked there in the past? Just curious.

You are arguing with MX bike buyers. They have always been the black hole of no profit in this industry. If you really had dealership knowledge you would know that and quit trying to make some point that nobody cares about.

When less dealers care about MX, less people ride and race. When less people ride and race there will be less places to ride and race. Prices will go up, participation will go down and it will all be a fond memory someday.
Indy mxer
10/26/2017 6:29pm
reded wrote:
I'm with titan on this one. If a dealership is selling bikes for $500 less than the next guy, I'd be stupid to not capitalize on...
I'm with titan on this one. If a dealership is selling bikes for $500 less than the next guy, I'd be stupid to not capitalize on that deal. Whether he goes out of business or not is his fault for giving me the deal, not my fault for accepting it.

*disclaimer*

I don't have a decent dealer of ANY brand bike within an hour of me so it's highly unlikely that I'll be buying accessories from him anyhow.
Nobody is disputing that. Go with the best deal. Ive simply said, dont also complain about the state of the industry. A common theme here is...
Nobody is disputing that. Go with the best deal.

Ive simply said, dont also complain about the state of the industry.

A common theme here is the hatred for the "add on" fees such as setup. $500 to put on a front wheel, pegs, and handlebars seems like bullshit to most on this forum.

Would some of you rather buy the bike in it's crate? Im sure you would. But you know what, 99% of consumers dont. And the fact that some here cannot grasp that is mind numbing.

The successful dealers are going to do what the consumer wants (often on a subconscious level). Unfortunately for some here, the average consumer isnt going to even consider buying a bike unless it's already assembled and they get to drool over it on the showroom floor.

I get it. Ive said over and over, I hate the add on fees also. But I understand why they MUST exist and thus why they arent going away. The average consumer is a dumbass that falls for cheap sales gimmicks.

I started this thread to gather a list of DEALERSHIP pet peeves. Things the dealership could do better that they ignore for no reason.

Bringing up sales techniques are NOT a dealership issue. That's a customer issue. Salespeople do what works. It's a reflection of the consumer. Aint no different than the 2stroke vs 4stroke debate. The manufacturers will make what sells. They dont have control over what the consumer demands.

You're mad that the sanctioning body wont cater to 2strokes? I think the solution is being mad at dumbass American culture that is so easily swayed by shallow marketing.

My dad and now my brother have run a successful multi line dealership since 1974.
I agree with most of your points, but I totally disagree with the add on fees.

$500 for set up is robbery. No way that should be there. Setting up the bike is part of the cost of doing business.
And some of the other fees I've seen some dealers charge are bullshit as well.

My brother still does it old school, and does quite well. Price, plus tax and a $30 doc fee. They don't give bikes or SxS's away and they're not always the cheapest, but they do have to compete. They concentrate on service, parts and accessories. All the parts and sales staff ride.

But they do lose some sales on price.

Indy mxer
10/26/2017 6:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 6:53pm

rmgsxr wrote:
I posted an invoice on a 2018 bike a few pages ago. If you read the post it explains how some of it works. Granted it...

Well said rmgsxr.
I've heard the same comments from my brother. His reps are always telling him to charge fees too.
And you're right about about the margins. They've been shrinking for years.
As the manufacturers try to keep the msrp as low as possible they raise the cost to the dealer and take away margin.

And you're right about the OEM's not giving a shit about dealers. They just want to move units.

But I will disagree on one thing. They sell a ton of SxS's, and even though extended warranties are not worth it in most cases, they are on these.

My brother even bought one for his Polaris Ranger 1000.
I've seen plenty of cases at his dealership where the customer was damn glad they'd bought one. Especially if you go offroad a lot.

SxS repairs can be very costly.
BAMX
10/26/2017 7:09pm
When they essentially drop ship parts orders rather than maintain inventory. I get why they do, but there is nothing better than a dealer with your...
When they essentially drop ship parts orders rather than maintain inventory. I get why they do, but there is nothing better than a dealer with your parts on a Saturday, or whenever you make your trip there.

There was a Honda shop here that did that, and marked up from retail as well. Treated you as if they were doing you a favor. I had no remorse ordering my Honda parts from Service Honda or other online vendors. Got parts in the same time without a trip or the frustration. I don't believe that dealer survived the recession.

On the other hand, I will pay more for parts than online at a dealer who values riding enough to keep its customers riding rather than just paying. Those guys play a valuable role and warrant support.
Drop shipping as a method of maintaining stock was great years ago but is now a faulty method. The consumer has the same option via RMMC, Motosport etc.. Dealers these days need to be thinking of what they can offer that the internet doesn't.
dcg141
10/26/2017 7:56pm
Consultants have pushed dealers into the "auto dealer" mold for years now. Its works ok for the side by side and ATV business but it's not a good solution for enthusiast markets and I still consider motorcycles an enthusiast product. By " auto dealer" I mean big multi-line dealers that sell wheel products in volume and push paper products with financing. Bait and switch tactics with fee's are now the norm and turn customers off. Also the importance of the F&I dept. and less emphasis on product knowledge and stocking parts. So enthusiast dealers have to tread the needle to make ends meet by really working every possible angle and running very tight ships. Even then its hard when bigger dealers set pricing on a commodity. So the business model needs some tweaking for sure. So I am very interested in hearing opinions actually. What if say in negotiation on price I throw in suspension revalve and help with basic bike setup from a qualified suspension tech. Or you see a bike on the floor already loaded with most of the things you want already installed at a very good package price. Or if you have kids we throw in some instruction from a qualified instructor? Would those things be of enough value for you to pay say MSRP on a bike? I'm very serious asking these questions. What if the shop owned a track you could ride with showers and part of the deal were free days on the track? What if the track was next to the shop? What if the shop had a really big inventory of parts on hand and parts guys with the knowledge get you what you need the first time. Now is it the same bike you can buy down the road several hundred dollars cheaper? How often would you visit a shop like that?
Titan1
10/26/2017 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 8:44pm
dcg141 wrote:
Consultants have pushed dealers into the "auto dealer" mold for years now. Its works ok for the side by side and ATV business but it's not...
Consultants have pushed dealers into the "auto dealer" mold for years now. Its works ok for the side by side and ATV business but it's not a good solution for enthusiast markets and I still consider motorcycles an enthusiast product. By " auto dealer" I mean big multi-line dealers that sell wheel products in volume and push paper products with financing. Bait and switch tactics with fee's are now the norm and turn customers off. Also the importance of the F&I dept. and less emphasis on product knowledge and stocking parts. So enthusiast dealers have to tread the needle to make ends meet by really working every possible angle and running very tight ships. Even then its hard when bigger dealers set pricing on a commodity. So the business model needs some tweaking for sure. So I am very interested in hearing opinions actually. What if say in negotiation on price I throw in suspension revalve and help with basic bike setup from a qualified suspension tech. Or you see a bike on the floor already loaded with most of the things you want already installed at a very good package price. Or if you have kids we throw in some instruction from a qualified instructor? Would those things be of enough value for you to pay say MSRP on a bike? I'm very serious asking these questions. What if the shop owned a track you could ride with showers and part of the deal were free days on the track? What if the track was next to the shop? What if the shop had a really big inventory of parts on hand and parts guys with the knowledge get you what you need the first time. Now is it the same bike you can buy down the road several hundred dollars cheaper? How often would you visit a shop like that?
I can’t speak for everyone...but I’ve wondered for years why shops don’t do just what you are asking...Why couldn’t a dealership offer to revalve suspension, put on a pipe, bars, etc etc (whatever a buyer wants) add it to the price and sell it that way? (Or have already modified bikes on the showroom floor with the mods priced into the sticker price...).

I think this could work for the racer...or image conscious weekend warrior.

When I bought my KX450....I spent another $2000 on parts, and $800 on suspension (to make it off road race ready)..,if I dealer could do all those mods for me and sell me the bike for the same price I could buy them myself for...I’d gladly buy the bike from them in that trim.

I pay cash for all my stuff-and I don’t recommend financing toys-but Another perk for a lot of people-and the dealer...you can’t finance $800 in suspension and $2k in parts...but I would imagine if the sticker price included those it would be possible to finance those, right? That means some cash strapped folks could get that decked out bike they want but would never have the cash to buy-and the dealer gets to sell $2800 in parts that they wouldn’t have otherwise sold because the buyer didn’t have the money for. So dealer gets to make some money on the parts-cost plus 10% or whatever-make money on the bike, money on the financing...and the buyer gets to roll it all into his loan and hopefully get all that for what he could have got it all for if He would have purchased them himself.

I like it! Not everyone would though....but I’d probably recommend letting the customer customize the bike-at least serious riders as they have their preferred parts...casual riders would probably be okay buying a bike you modded for them.

Another perk for the dealer...this muddies the water when buyers shop around...yes sir, that bike from the other dealer is $800 cheaper...but does it have an fmf pipe, pro taper bars and revalved suspension set up for your weight and riding? It doesn’t? Well that explains why it’s cheaper. you seem like a good enough rider to care about riding a bike set up to your how you like and would probably end up doing those same mods anyway, right? Okay, you’ll like this then, those same things wil cost you $850 from Motorsport and the time it will take to install them...so really, we are saving you $50, and You can finance all of them so you don’t have any money out of pocket: Should I get the paperwork started?

Dealer gets to sell the bike and make money on the parts.

And if they don’t care about that...we’ll then this bike down here will be more to your liking, it’s completely stock and we can get it to you for the same price as that other dealer.
APLMAN99
10/26/2017 8:45pm
Did you miss the 7 or 8 times I've said I dont blame the consumer for going the cheapest price? Did you conveniently also miss where...
Did you miss the 7 or 8 times I've said I dont blame the consumer for going the cheapest price?

Did you conveniently also miss where I've blamed dealerships over and over for not working together? I've blantantly said that it's not the consumers decision what a bike is sold for.

You know what I didn't miss? Your initial statement in which you said you "didn't understand why dealerships dont understand that price is all that matters". That single statement proves that you don't understand the economics of this topic. And neither do the dealerships that agree with you who end up for sale or closing.

You may not care about the state of dealerships but if & when there's a time where the closest still-in-business dealership is 6 hours away, you will care.
Titan1 wrote:
Maybe you need to have this discussion with someone that is worried about the industry...I'm not worried about it... If the owners of dealerships sell their...
Maybe you need to have this discussion with someone that is worried about the industry...I'm not worried about it...

If the owners of dealerships sell their product so cheap they can't keep the doors open, that isn't the consumers problem.

Bike sales IS all about price. It's not like Dealer A has a CRF450 that is drastically better than Dealer B's CRF450...they are selling the exact same product...the ONLY the only variable to consider is price...so price is the most important factor in determining who the consumer buys from. That has nothing to do with the economics of it...and I'm not going to pay more just to support "the industry". If dealers loose money and go out of business, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
That's why I tell everyone how cheap it is to get a mortgage from Quicken and not have to pay that silly loan origination fee.............

I can't imagine why anyone would need to drive to a local lender when they can truly do everything from the comfort of your own home. They even send the notary to your house!
reded
10/26/2017 8:50pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
That's why I tell everyone how cheap it is to get a mortgage from Quicken and not have to pay that silly loan origination fee............. I...
That's why I tell everyone how cheap it is to get a mortgage from Quicken and not have to pay that silly loan origination fee.............

I can't imagine why anyone would need to drive to a local lender when they can truly do everything from the comfort of your own home. They even send the notary to your house!
Well played Sir.
mxb2
10/26/2017 8:55pm
dcg141 wrote:
Consultants have pushed dealers into the "auto dealer" mold for years now. Its works ok for the side by side and ATV business but it's not...
Titan1 wrote:
I can’t speak for everyone...but I’ve wondered for years why shops don’t do just what you are asking...Why couldn’t a dealership offer to revalve suspension, put...
I can’t speak for everyone...but I’ve wondered for years why shops don’t do just what you are asking...Why couldn’t a dealership offer to revalve suspension, put on a pipe, bars, etc etc (whatever a buyer wants) add it to the price and sell it that way? (Or have already modified bikes on the showroom floor with the mods priced into the sticker price...).

When I bought my KX450....I spent another $2000 on parts, and $800 on suspension (to make it off road race ready)..,if I dealer could do all those mods for me and sell me the bike for the same price I could buy them myself for...I’d gladly buy the bike from them in that trim.

I pay cash for all my stuff-and I don’t recommend financing toys-but Another perk for a lot of people-and the dealer...you can’t finance $800 in suspension and $2k in parts...but I would imagine if the sticker price included those it would be possible to finance those, right? That means some cash strapped folks could get that decked out bike they want but would never have the cash to buy-and the dealer gets to sell $2800 in parts that they wouldn’t have otherwise sold because the buyer didn’t have the money for. So dealer gets to make some money on the parts-cost plus 10% or whatever-make money on the bike, money on the financing...and the buyer gets to roll it all into his loan and hopefully get all that for what he could have got it all for if He would have purchased them himself.

I like it! Not everyone would though....but I’d probably recommend letting the customer customize the bike-at least serious riders as they have their preferred parts...casual riders would probably be okay buying a bike you modded for them.

Another perk for the dealer...this muddies the water when buyers shop around...yes sir, that bike from the other dealer is $800 cheaper...but does it have an fmf pipe, pro taper bars and revalved suspension set up for your weight and riding? It doesn’t? Well that explains why it’s cheaper. you seem like a good enough rider to care about riding a bike set up to your how you like and would probably end up doing those same mods anyway, right? Okay, you’ll like this then, those same things wil cost you $850 from Motorsport and the time it will take to install them...so really, we are saving you $50, and You can finance all of them so you don’t have any money out of pocket: Should I get the paperwork started?

And if they don’t care about that...we’ll then this bike down here will be more to your liking, it’s completely stock and we can get it to you for the same price as that other dealer.
Ktm.fe is that bike.
Titan1
10/26/2017 9:01pm
Did you miss the 7 or 8 times I've said I dont blame the consumer for going the cheapest price? Did you conveniently also miss where...
Did you miss the 7 or 8 times I've said I dont blame the consumer for going the cheapest price?

Did you conveniently also miss where I've blamed dealerships over and over for not working together? I've blantantly said that it's not the consumers decision what a bike is sold for.

You know what I didn't miss? Your initial statement in which you said you "didn't understand why dealerships dont understand that price is all that matters". That single statement proves that you don't understand the economics of this topic. And neither do the dealerships that agree with you who end up for sale or closing.

You may not care about the state of dealerships but if & when there's a time where the closest still-in-business dealership is 6 hours away, you will care.
Titan1 wrote:
Maybe you need to have this discussion with someone that is worried about the industry...I'm not worried about it... If the owners of dealerships sell their...
Maybe you need to have this discussion with someone that is worried about the industry...I'm not worried about it...

If the owners of dealerships sell their product so cheap they can't keep the doors open, that isn't the consumers problem.

Bike sales IS all about price. It's not like Dealer A has a CRF450 that is drastically better than Dealer B's CRF450...they are selling the exact same product...the ONLY the only variable to consider is price...so price is the most important factor in determining who the consumer buys from. That has nothing to do with the economics of it...and I'm not going to pay more just to support "the industry". If dealers loose money and go out of business, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
APLMAN99 wrote:
That's why I tell everyone how cheap it is to get a mortgage from Quicken and not have to pay that silly loan origination fee............. I...

I don’t charge origination fees or make people come to my office either...I send the notary to their home as well. (Never mind I have lower rates than quicken). I have to if I want to compete.
Potts
10/26/2017 9:34pm
Im doing a bit of a research project. I wanna hear your pet peeves at dealerships. Gimme the little annoying things that get under your skin...
Im doing a bit of a research project. I wanna hear your pet peeves at dealerships. Gimme the little annoying things that get under your skin yet could easily be avoided if the dealership pulled their heads out of their asses.

Mine? I hate how often I see bikes with the fork stickers on upside down. For the life of me I cannot understand why mfg's dont apply the graphics at the factory. Seeing WP looking like "dM" or Showa upside down is such an eyesore.
#1. Dealers need to start looking at internet pricing and match this, at the very least! Why do I need to drive to your location when I can sit in the comfort of my home and place my order? Your overhead isn't my problem.

#2. Sales people that don't know the product and try to "Sell Me!". One year I purchased 5 new motorcycles. I went into Long Beach cycles every time first since they were near my office. I told them what I wanted and I wanted a price. Unless I sat down with them and played their sales game I could not get this from them so I ended up buying from a dealer that had no problem telling me his best price. The sales kid actually said to me "what... you want me to drop my pants and I'm not sure you're really going to buy".

#3. Dealers that have to order everything since they don't have it in stock. I can order it just as easily as the dealer so why bother him.

#4. Dealers that charge an assembly fee!!!

avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
10/26/2017 9:34pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
We buy our bikes from them and TO. Mostly simi lately though. But definitely a bunch of good guys at both shops though and always get...
We buy our bikes from them and TO. Mostly simi lately though. But definitely a bunch of good guys at both shops though and always get you taken care of asap.
are you guys talking about KSV, SVC or Tri-County? Used to get parts and other stuff from KSV back in the day when i rode a...
are you guys talking about KSV, SVC or Tri-County?

Used to get parts and other stuff from KSV back in the day when i rode a Kawi, good guys over there. Same for the old Simi Honda place, not sure how it is now that Tri-County bought them.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
SCV. Havent been to KSV in a while since I no longer ride kawis, but I did talk with tyler over at Tri County about a...
SCV. Havent been to KSV in a while since I no longer ride kawis, but I did talk with tyler over at Tri County about a husky 350 not too long ago. seemed like a nice guy
I've bought bikes from KSV, SVC, and Simi Honda. The SVC guys supported my cousin for close to 20 years, and John at KSV was always a stand-up guy. Always brought bikes out to ride for track days and was very fair on pricing.

That said I always bought everything else at T.R.E.
JB479
10/26/2017 10:03pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 10:09pm
When i order a helmet and it takes 5 weeks to come in yet the supplier has them in stock. Having to ring the shop 3 or 4 times to chase up on it.....May aswell buy the helmet directly from america for a cheaper price and its normally delivered in less then 2 weeks.
10/26/2017 10:08pm
Titan1 wrote:
I can’t speak for everyone...but I’ve wondered for years why shops don’t do just what you are asking...Why couldn’t a dealership offer to revalve suspension, put...

Custom bikes sit. They dont sell fast.

Nice try tho. Smh.
10/26/2017 10:19pm
dcg141 wrote:
The consultants aren't dumb. The dealerships that fight the tide are tho.

Your larger question is answered like this... educated buyers are gonna think price first. Nothing will change that. Not even a track in the back yard.

But the educated buyer/racer is not the staple of your diet. So you dont cater to them. Cater to those who are looking for financing options that'll keep them in debt for the next decade. Or buyers that fall for marketing gimmicks. That's the average American consumer.
10/26/2017 10:26pm
Indy mxer wrote:
My dad and now my brother have run a successful multi line dealership since 1974. I agree with most of your points, but I totally disagree...
My dad and now my brother have run a successful multi line dealership since 1974.
I agree with most of your points, but I totally disagree with the add on fees.

$500 for set up is robbery. No way that should be there. Setting up the bike is part of the cost of doing business.
And some of the other fees I've seen some dealers charge are bullshit as well.

My brother still does it old school, and does quite well. Price, plus tax and a $30 doc fee. They don't give bikes or SxS's away and they're not always the cheapest, but they do have to compete. They concentrate on service, parts and accessories. All the parts and sales staff ride.

But they do lose some sales on price.

Robbery or not, why wouldn't you charge it if there are plenty willing to pay it?

There's another area of competition that you didn't list that doesnt force a dealer to compete on price. It's an area that most dealerships struggle in big time.
billyg371
10/27/2017 6:09am
Titan1 wrote:

I currently run a parts and service department and a fairly new dealer in NC (2 years old) I also handle all the motocross bike sales. I personally have done what you stated above besides have suspension revalved. Sold three 450s and one 250 last summer with a bunch of accessories on them. Normal stuff bars, levers, exhaust, some cool billet stuff and usually graphics of the customers choosing. Customer gets parts on the bike already for a discount cheaper than they can buy online (not ebay pricing on used parts) and they pay no labor to put them on. So we have bike price (not msrp) + parts + tax and thats it. Seemed to work out great or like you said they could also just purchase a stock bike. Im currently working on building up an 18 YZ450F and a 18 Honda CRF450R. The main thing about the accessories that catches the customers eye is they dont have to come out of pocket $1000 or whatever for parts they were already going to put on after they purchase the bike. A lot of people are financing bikes now a days. When you put all those parts on there it usually bumps a payment 10-20 dollars depending on how much we do. I deal with all sorts of these issues on a daily basis but I do my best to keep all common moto parts in stock no matter what the color of the bike is. We only sell Yamaha and Honda here, but if you need a air filter or sprocket for your Kawi Ive got it. You can't please everyone but I do my best to help out a fellow moto guy.
dcg141
10/27/2017 6:57am
billyg371 wrote:
I currently run a parts and service department and a fairly new dealer in NC (2 years old) I also handle all the motocross bike sales...
I currently run a parts and service department and a fairly new dealer in NC (2 years old) I also handle all the motocross bike sales. I personally have done what you stated above besides have suspension revalved. Sold three 450s and one 250 last summer with a bunch of accessories on them. Normal stuff bars, levers, exhaust, some cool billet stuff and usually graphics of the customers choosing. Customer gets parts on the bike already for a discount cheaper than they can buy online (not ebay pricing on used parts) and they pay no labor to put them on. So we have bike price (not msrp) + parts + tax and thats it. Seemed to work out great or like you said they could also just purchase a stock bike. Im currently working on building up an 18 YZ450F and a 18 Honda CRF450R. The main thing about the accessories that catches the customers eye is they dont have to come out of pocket $1000 or whatever for parts they were already going to put on after they purchase the bike. A lot of people are financing bikes now a days. When you put all those parts on there it usually bumps a payment 10-20 dollars depending on how much we do. I deal with all sorts of these issues on a daily basis but I do my best to keep all common moto parts in stock no matter what the color of the bike is. We only sell Yamaha and Honda here, but if you need a air filter or sprocket for your Kawi Ive got it. You can't please everyone but I do my best to help out a fellow moto guy.
I'm with you. I actually sell alot of bikes but keeping reasonable margins, ie 10% or better gets harder and harder all the time. Funny thing is I sell lawn equipment also and keep 25% plus margins on wheel goods with ease competing against some the largest retailers in the country. The powersports industry at the retail level may become Motosport.com and huge multi-line dealers that just push out bikes with little to no product knowledge.
eeazye
10/27/2017 8:57am
I am always fascinated when this subject pops up now and then here. It just really seems like an antiquated way of doing business, and the few people that benefit from it have dug in their heels and will do whatever it takes to keep it going.

The rest of us will have to deal with it until eventually we can order a bike direct and have it dropped off at our front door.

Two different outlooks on the same point were kind of glossed over in here. The example was Apple. The pro dealership guys say that Apple should regulate price, so as to create an environment where every dealer can make money. The guys not impressed with dealers, say if vendor x wants to sell it cheaper, so be it, and that's where I'm going.

I went to replace my iPod recently, and it didn't matter where I looked or went, the price was $149.99. This included Apple's website. It was more convenient for me to go down to target and pick up it same day.

It's the same product, same price no matter what, period. How or why should purchasing a vehicle be any different?

With the exception of financing said vehicle, then let the games begin. Or, arrange your own financing before you get there.

I believe the tide has already turned to more internet based vehicle purchases anyway. Although still done through a dealer, you can pretty much do a deal completely by phone/computer, and just show up to sign paperwork.

I'm still holding out for the day I can order direct from the manufacturer.
MelonFan123
10/27/2017 9:02am
rmgsxr wrote:

Thanks RMGSXR for your input as someone who deals with this day in and day out.

I think Titan and I have the same stance in that the MSRP that's set should account for a realistic margin for the dealers. Clearly it's not and the dealer's needs don't seem to be a priority for the manufacturers, and thats the sad part. Extra fees are necessary in some cases and Jabroni seems to be fine with that, I'm not but I do understand now why they are there.

So why is this problem not addressed better? New dirt bike sales are probably low on the manufacturer's priority list. Within the Powersports industry, the margins/profits probably lie more in SXS, boats, PWCs, fancy Adventure Bikes, Utility quads... and thats where the effort and importance probably lies for most of them on the corporate retail level.

Post a reply to: Dealership pet peeves...

The Latest