Dealership pet peeves...

Motodork
10/25/2017 7:01pm
Because you're not in PA.

Amish mafia dont fuck around.
Do they sell Apple products for different prices in PA? or Nintedo? Because I have never seen those products for different prices, we could add Oakley to that also.
10/25/2017 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 9:17pm

Motodork wrote:
Do they sell Apple products for different prices in PA? or Nintedo? Because I have never seen those products for different prices, we could add Oakley...
Do they sell Apple products for different prices in PA? or Nintedo? Because I have never seen those products for different prices, we could add Oakley to that also.
I dont know. I was just joking in my post directed towards you.

Price collusion is common as fuck despite what anyone who wants to claim otherwise.

I feel like Im arguing with a bar owner that refuses to hide his cash sales from the IRS because it's "illegal" and then wonders why it's hard to stay in business. So he hires shitty/cheap bartenders and business further suffers. And it's somehow the fault of his alcoholic customer base whom he willingingly sells liquor to just above his cost.

Meanwhile the nightclub down the street sells the same shot of vodka for $18 and is hugely profitable as a business.
Joe512
10/25/2017 8:35pm
I really do not like any of my local dealer, really looking forward to when I can order a bike on rocky mountain.
Jack mehoff
10/25/2017 9:44pm
Having worked in a dealership keep these few things in mind
If looking to buy a mx bike you can usually find your best deal in the city’s where there is not a lot off land to ride on around ( these are the shops that cater to the street bike crowd most every dealership has to buy a min off every bike the the mfg builds ) they are tieing up the guys floor plan and display are where they can put a more profitable bike in its place
Buy with in the first month off delivery off that bike not all shops but most shops work off a floor plan where they start paying interest on the bike after a certain point usually 1-3 months after delivery the fourth week is going to be the sweet spot they are going to take a chance that someone has to have it and will pay there way ,that’s why there is usally 2- 3 release dates from the factory so the shop is not sitting on product they can’t move all winter most shops get one or two in the fall release and the rest come in the spring keep in mind the city shops are going to get the bare min 2-3 off that 250 f / 450 F vs 20 crotch rockets that they are going to make the $$$$ money off
I can also say they guys that came in and bought parts consumables through out the year always got the best deals on bikes because we where going to make money off you using / racing the bike trough out the year
Last but not least your dealer is going to go to bat for you when your have a mfr defect on that bike some times digging out off his own pocket to keep you coming back every year or two

The Shop

Lucifa.
10/25/2017 9:49pm
Lucifa. wrote:
You sound like an angry little man. Maybe a career change is in order.
Ryno23 wrote:
No, you don't know me at all Lucy. I actually love my job 90% of the time and I'm invested in this place so I am...
No, you don't know me at all Lucy. I actually love my job 90% of the time and I'm invested in this place so I am not leaving. I said a lot of those to be funny but you must be one of those on my list. Have fun with your Goldwing bro.
It didn't sound like you were being funny. You sounded like one of those arseholes that we're talking about in here. What's your dealership name? We'll come and judge for ourselves.
Slosh 112
10/26/2017 3:54am
Lucifa. wrote:
You sound like an angry little man. Maybe a career change is in order.
Ryno23 wrote:
No, you don't know me at all Lucy. I actually love my job 90% of the time and I'm invested in this place so I am...
No, you don't know me at all Lucy. I actually love my job 90% of the time and I'm invested in this place so I am not leaving. I said a lot of those to be funny but you must be one of those on my list. Have fun with your Goldwing bro.
Lucifa. wrote:
It didn't sound like you were being funny. You sounded like one of those arseholes that we're talking about in here. What's your dealership name? We'll...
It didn't sound like you were being funny. You sounded like one of those arseholes that we're talking about in here. What's your dealership name? We'll come and judge for ourselves.
most of the people winging on here have never worked in retail and have no idea what it takes to deal with regular people all day 6 days a week.
kkawboy14
10/26/2017 4:39am

Motodork wrote:
Do they sell Apple products for different prices in PA? or Nintedo? Because I have never seen those products for different prices, we could add Oakley...
A manufacturer/distributor can fix the prices of its own products in America. Then tell the retailers you will lose your rights to sell our stuff if you sell for a different price. If there are other competitors as in other sunglasses, those competitors then help drive the prices up or down.

Funny all the dirt bikes are about the same price, until someone comes along and sells a 450 for $5500 out the door, the current manufacturers and retailers will always adjust their prices based on their competitors.
dcg141
10/26/2017 5:56am
Titan1 wrote:
Interesting, and I did not know that, thanks for the education...so, I’ll have to keep buying new bikes from a dealer. That will be the extent...
Interesting, and I did not know that, thanks for the education...so, I’ll have to keep buying new bikes from a dealer. That will be the extent of my business with them though unless they can drastically change the business model in terms of parts and service.

I’m sure there are good folks that own/work in dealerships...so this is nothing personal...it’s just business. Price and convenience and turn times matter to me...and every dealership I’ve ever worked with/been in has fallen so far short of what I can find online or in small service shops in those areas that I can’t justify ever using a dealership for anything other than buying new bikes (and only because there is no other choice).
Customer came in yesterday with a yo bike that had quit running. When he called I had a good idea what the problem was and with the bike still on the truck I could hook up the tool I needed to confirm the issue, Its not a super common problem but it happens and I have to order the part. Will have it in a couple of days. Going to call the mfg and try to get it goodwilled as its not currently under warranty anymore. Its a very good chance that will happen because I have done it before. Will save him about $300. No internet company is ever going to perform that service. Dealers are still an important part of the retail chain and do things the internet will never do, unless they have some sort of brick and morter presence. I do agree that possibly you will see some changes in the business model for dealers. Stay tuned, I may actually have one up my sleeve in the future.
Indy mxer
10/26/2017 5:58am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 6:03am
Titan1 wrote:
Interesting, and I did not know that, thanks for the education...so, I’ll have to keep buying new bikes from a dealer. That will be the extent...
Interesting, and I did not know that, thanks for the education...so, I’ll have to keep buying new bikes from a dealer. That will be the extent of my business with them though unless they can drastically change the business model in terms of parts and service.

I’m sure there are good folks that own/work in dealerships...so this is nothing personal...it’s just business. Price and convenience and turn times matter to me...and every dealership I’ve ever worked with/been in has fallen so far short of what I can find online or in small service shops in those areas that I can’t justify ever using a dealership for anything other than buying new bikes (and only because there is no other choice).
dcg141 wrote:
Customer came in yesterday with a yo bike that had quit running. When he called I had a good idea what the problem was and with...
Customer came in yesterday with a yo bike that had quit running. When he called I had a good idea what the problem was and with the bike still on the truck I could hook up the tool I needed to confirm the issue, Its not a super common problem but it happens and I have to order the part. Will have it in a couple of days. Going to call the mfg and try to get it goodwilled as its not currently under warranty anymore. Its a very good chance that will happen because I have done it before. Will save him about $300. No internet company is ever going to perform that service. Dealers are still an important part of the retail chain and do things the internet will never do, unless they have some sort of brick and morter presence. I do agree that possibly you will see some changes in the business model for dealers. Stay tuned, I may actually have one up my sleeve in the future.
very well put. Some people like bagging on dealers, then change their tune when they need one.
logan_140
10/26/2017 6:38am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I hate when a dealer won’t give me an otd price. Always tell you that thy need you to come in. No dude, give me an...
I hate when a dealer won’t give me an otd price. Always tell you that thy need you to come in. No dude, give me an otd price and I will come in, buy a bike and get some stuff for the new bike! Very few dealers around me will give an otd price. I’m not wasting my time driving an hour to your dealership to find out I’ll get a better price somewhere else
This shit. Hate this shit man. Same with cars.
10/26/2017 8:50am
When you walk into the dealer looking for a specfic motocross bike and they say, no but we have the X model its the same thing. No dude its far from the same thing.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
10/26/2017 8:55am
I know of one Husky dealership that claims KTM [b]CHARGES[/b] them for setup and reimburses them after the sale. That was the excuse given to me...
I know of one Husky dealership that claims KTM CHARGES them for setup and reimburses them after the sale. That was the excuse given to me on why they HAD NO CHOICE but to charge me setup. hahaha
Thats actually true, its stupid but KTM does do that
rmgsxr
10/26/2017 9:21am
RCF wrote:
Setup fees, I worked for a KTM dealership until the owner passed away so I know KTM pays the setup fees to to dealer he never...
Setup fees, I worked for a KTM dealership until the owner passed away so I know KTM pays the setup fees to to dealer he never passed that on to the customer. I recently bought a KTM was charge a setup fee of 400 so the dealer is being paid $800 to put the handlebars foot pegs and front fender on the bike, they pay some kid $10 to do this and it only takes an hour.
rmgsxr wrote:
Unfortunately your owner did not explain it to you correctly. And if your setup kid was putting together a KTM out of the box while checking...
Unfortunately your owner did not explain it to you correctly.

And if your setup kid was putting together a KTM out of the box while checking fluids, checking spokes, installing the hand guards, installing pegs(they suck at times), putting on the frame guards, putting on the fork stickers, throwing the crate and trash away, filling with gas, hooking up any necessary lights, programming the ECU, filling out a PDI form and taking it for a little test ride in less than an hour, he was pretty good. I've put a shit ton of those together and it takes me a little longer.
RCF wrote:
After he passed away I handled all the sales of the remaining stock so I know exactly how it works. If you're a KTM dealer and...
After he passed away I handled all the sales of the remaining stock so I know exactly how it works. If you're a KTM dealer and you're telling me you don't get credited $400 for set up I say BS
I really shouldn't do this but I figure I might as well try and back up my BS.

KTM calls their "Holdback" money a PDI or Setup credit. Basically, all manufactures want instant notification of a sale of a motorcycle so they can have accurate reporting of sales as well as they can start the warranty the day that the bike leaves the showroom. So how can they guarantee that you register the sale of a bike? They hold some of your money hostage. Some of the margin or profit of the bike is held in their possession until you tell them who bought the new bike and then they take their sweet time sending you your money. If you think it is money to set the bike up you haven't been around the business long enough. I don't care what they call it. Lot's of sales deals lose money until a few months later when you get your "holdback" money back. Or as KTM likes to call it, Setupfee. KTM is actually adding another twist to the party, on the four stroke bikes, you can't get a code to program the ECU to make the bike run until you warranty register the bike.

So here is what I have to back up my statement. Here is an invoice for a 2018 50. You will see the cost of the bike is $3401. Then you have the freight charge(to the dealer) of $300. Then you have the Setupfee(ransom) money of $400 that they keep. Now the total of the invoice is $4101. That bike is advertised as retailing for $4199. If it is sold at the advertised retail price the dealer has made $98 until months later when he receives his $400 back. You can call it set up money, I call it ransom. They hold my money until I give them the information that they want. My office lady screws up and doesn't register that bike, I'm screwed. Now if all goes to plan, I get retail on the bike, I charge the $300 freight that they charge me and I get MY $400 back I have made $798. That is not taking into consideration fuel, labor, trash removal, commission to the sales guy and other small expenses.

It doesn't go to plan when you are a fan of MX. It sucks when your best buddy comes in and wants a deal off of retail for a new 50 for his kid.

rmgsxr
10/26/2017 9:26am
rmgsxr wrote:
One thing that has changed in this industry that most consumers don't understand or know is how the invoice pricing to the dealer from the manufacture...
One thing that has changed in this industry that most consumers don't understand or know is how the invoice pricing to the dealer from the manufacture has changed.

Years ago we never charged any add on fees. We now try to collect freight. Years ago we(the dealer) were responsible for arranging our own freight carriers to pick up our bikes from the warehouse. My dad worked hard to negotiate a rate with a local carrier and even worked out cash deals with the owner to get the rate lower yet. The manufactures had troubles with dealers not getting bikes picked up and then they also figured out that if they took over the freight/delivery side of things that they could make a profit on it. When our first manufacture changed policy our freight cost per crate almost doubled. Lets say you had a bike that you had a $1000 margin on back then with a $50 freight cost and now if you have a bike with a $1000 margin the freight cost is now $350-$500. How come I pay $350 to get a bike from Chicago yet I can send a bike to California for $275? The manufactures are making margin on the dealers with their freight charges. We have a few bikes(think smaller bikes) that the price I am invoiced from the manufacture is right at what the bike retails for. Yes the manufactures have some "ransom"(holdback) money that they hold from the dealer and pay back once you sell the bike and register the sale but it has shrunk to around 2-3%.

But hey, I work at a Stealership so I am just lying.
ACBraap wrote:
Here's what dealers don't get. I don't care about how your invoice pricing has changed. I care about the final price I pay. If you want...
Here's what dealers don't get. I don't care about how your invoice pricing has changed. I care about the final price I pay. If you want to break it into the item, and then tack on a bunch of crap once you think I'm done negotiating, that just pisses me off. It's your overhead, deal with it. Price the item competitively, with no add ons, and I won't even try to negotiate. The add on crap is dishonesty. Just because the airlines and ticketmaster do it doesn't mean everyone else should. Honesty and integrity just might bring in customers.
Too bad you are not closer to us, you sit down in the office and you already know what the price you are writing a check for. We do it like you want.
10/26/2017 9:44am
When you walk into the dealer looking for a specfic motocross bike and they say, no but we have the X model its the same thing...
When you walk into the dealer looking for a specfic motocross bike and they say, no but we have the X model its the same thing. No dude its far from the same thing.
They're trained to do that.

A lot of these complaints are viable & fixable. Some tho, like proven sales techniques, are not going away and you guys will have to live with it and accept it for what it is.

The VAST majority of consumers are not educated buyers. So salespeople are taught to automatically find a like substitute in the event a specific model isnt readily available.

If they assumed every buyer was as educated about their purchase as those here in a MX forum, they'd sell fewer bikes. Period.
Jharper
10/26/2017 9:46am
I just switched dealerships after buying five bikes at the original because (and I'm sure I'll be flamed for this) the bike was unsellable with the seat shaved and holes cut in the airbox. I don't want to use a real dealership name, so let's call them Gables Motorsports in Wesley Chapel, Florida. I explained to the guy at the dealership that I still had the stock stuff, but I hadn't been able to put it on because my 15' was in their shop with a recall issue. I would change it out or give it to them, but I was looking for trade in value as I wanted a 17'

The guy literally told me he wasn't interested in the bike and wouldn't give me anything for a trade in on it. I promptly left with my unfinished bike (the hadn't started on the recall after two weeks) and drove 30 minutes south to another Honda dealer in Tampa called Tampa Bay Motorsports.

Long story short, I left the second dealer with more than what I wanted for my trade in, a better out the door price on a 17' CRF 450, and got to keep the wheels off my 15'. Moral of the story is, LISTEN to your customers. There's nothing that makes me not want to do business with a dealer more than when they treat you like your trade in is junk, when it's basically still new. Hell we all know freestyle guys only use second gear with third on occasion.

Ryno23
Fantasy
878th
10/26/2017 10:05am
Lucifa. wrote:
It didn't sound like you were being funny. You sounded like one of those arseholes that we're talking about in here. What's your dealership name? We'll...
Yellowstone Motorsports, Bozeman, MT. Come on by and say hello!
Motoxdoc
10/26/2017 10:28am
Motoxdoc wrote:
I once tried to buy a chain that the dealer had run out of. The dealership owner reassured me with absolute certainty that Jeremy McGrath and...
I once tried to buy a chain that the dealer had run out of. The dealership owner reassured me with absolute certainty that Jeremy McGrath and the entire factory Honda team used off-road o-ring chains! lying to your customer just to make a small sale? Shit like that is not cool! Like a huckster car salesman trying to sell you an extra clear coat to protect the paint on your new car.
For what it's worth, I've had factory mechanics tell me the same. So I've always ran those style chains. They last forever. What's the downside? What...
For what it's worth, I've had factory mechanics tell me the same. So I've always ran those style chains. They last forever.

What's the downside? What do you recommend instead?
LOL....The difference is those factory mechanics were NOT talking about what their motocrosser's use but rather what their off road and desert racers use. O-ring chains are heavier and rob power and are made for off road racers who cant lube their chains regularly. You missed my point. A dealership owner was lying to me to make a small sale. Just tell me you have to order it. I'll still buy it. To answer your questions, the downside is less power output and what I would recommend is buying a Regina, RK, Pro Taper or really anything that ISN'T an o-ring.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
10/26/2017 10:31am
I'll jump in from the dealer side. I work sales at a 5-line shop.

A few of my pet peeves regarding customers.

1. Neglecting the bike I sold them, running the piss out of it with no service and blaming me when it breaks.

2. Assuming I get free machines because I race and work for a shop.

3. Making offers on machines at well below cost and being offended when I say no.

4. Accusing me of trying to pressure them into a sale when I tell them a certain promo is about to end. Once its gone, its gone.

5. Letting their kids climb all over everything in the store, if your kid is sitting on a 50cc quad or bike, that's fine, but they don't need to be scaling a $20,000 cruiser in muddy shoes.

6. Complaining about a scratch on a used bike with 30+ hours on it. If you want a perfect bike I've got plenty of brand new ones on the floor.

7. Showing up without an appointment with their machine and expecting us to drop everything and work on theirs right away.
SteveUrchin
Fantasy
1025th
10/26/2017 11:15am
Go to B&B cycles in Victorville my cousin Dustin Evans knows his shit & Hauls ass on a motorcycle!!
Dragoo168
10/26/2017 12:28pm
Wow,..Conspiracy theorists on both sides of the coin on this one! Catalog customers that know nothing about how a dealership works, and as many experts that think their short, little careers in a shop has given them so much experience that they think they can speak for the industry from "Mom and Pop" to 'Multi-line", LOL! And just to be clear, when I say short, little career, that means you too, the guy that has been working at the same shit shop for 15 years, finally, maybe making $16. bucks an hour with delusions of grandeur that you are an industry expert. All the while, I hear nothing of price margins relative to allocation and commissions vs overhead, parts pricing by the various vendors and price disks, or promotions and sales trends that might actually allow some versatility in pricing without misadjusting price points that were set by manufacturers and companies, NOT by the shop,...Sorry, your local shop will never be able to buy the volume of anything the catalog does to allow the same deal, but then that's not what your paying for, it's supposed to be customer service at the brick and mortar "Bike shop" that you want to have to bitch about! By the way, they all get their shit from the same vendors more or less, its just that the catalog company has warehouses that allow that volume purchase we spoke of, saving you all of $10 bucks maybe that you justify on crapping on your local dealership that will generally try to get it by next day for you. Then there are the service fees that can not only cover the substandard level of today's current "Techs", or should I say "Parts changers", but to also cover the service overhead because your parts dept. cannot stock everything, and you don't have enough competent Techs to be a dedicated flat-rate service dept. Once upon a time, a competent service dept should've been able to cover the shop's payroll,...Not even close these days! Don't even get me started on warranty processing, and covered repair times vs technician ability. Someone spoke earlier of a Goldwing, what about a warranty repair on one that only pays 6 hrs, yet takes a tech 14 to do?! Or how about a quad repair that pays .13 hrs, but takes at least 2 by the time you process the customer, get the parts coming, do the job, then submit the claim,...shit adds up!!! Or how about the dealer that calls wanting someone to 'Good-will" their 18th favorite customer for a blown up 2-stroke again?!!! Get real folks, There is more behind the scenes at a bike shop than you can possibly fathom, and if you think that you can fathom it and do it better, then by all means, go out there and buy your own franchise, and show them how its done, LOL! Or better yet, while you sit there thinking it's all about Moto, rock n roll and good times, stay behind after a dealer show, or your favorite supercross event, or any substantial function in the industry, and see the real folks that bust their asses for little pay to provide the image that's supposed to draw you to the shop and fuel the industry, and watch how they break it down so that they can book to another place and set it up. Relative to a dealership? Everything is that promotes the industry, and the thing to remember is that by design, the shop is the face of the retail brand, not the best deal in town. Wether or not the guy behind the counter knows anything or not is reflective of the guy that hired him, not the industry, and likely that neither set the prices that you think you save by catering to the warehouse vendors. Cut the sport some slack, this shits supposed to be fun,..remember? Hahahahhh!
RCF
10/26/2017 12:33pm
rmgsxr wrote:
Unfortunately your owner did not explain it to you correctly. And if your setup kid was putting together a KTM out of the box while checking...
Unfortunately your owner did not explain it to you correctly.

And if your setup kid was putting together a KTM out of the box while checking fluids, checking spokes, installing the hand guards, installing pegs(they suck at times), putting on the frame guards, putting on the fork stickers, throwing the crate and trash away, filling with gas, hooking up any necessary lights, programming the ECU, filling out a PDI form and taking it for a little test ride in less than an hour, he was pretty good. I've put a shit ton of those together and it takes me a little longer.
RCF wrote:
After he passed away I handled all the sales of the remaining stock so I know exactly how it works. If you're a KTM dealer and...
After he passed away I handled all the sales of the remaining stock so I know exactly how it works. If you're a KTM dealer and you're telling me you don't get credited $400 for set up I say BS
rmgsxr wrote:
I really shouldn't do this but I figure I might as well try and back up my BS. KTM calls their "Holdback" money a PDI or...
I really shouldn't do this but I figure I might as well try and back up my BS.

KTM calls their "Holdback" money a PDI or Setup credit. Basically, all manufactures want instant notification of a sale of a motorcycle so they can have accurate reporting of sales as well as they can start the warranty the day that the bike leaves the showroom. So how can they guarantee that you register the sale of a bike? They hold some of your money hostage. Some of the margin or profit of the bike is held in their possession until you tell them who bought the new bike and then they take their sweet time sending you your money. If you think it is money to set the bike up you haven't been around the business long enough. I don't care what they call it. Lot's of sales deals lose money until a few months later when you get your "holdback" money back. Or as KTM likes to call it, Setupfee. KTM is actually adding another twist to the party, on the four stroke bikes, you can't get a code to program the ECU to make the bike run until you warranty register the bike.

So here is what I have to back up my statement. Here is an invoice for a 2018 50. You will see the cost of the bike is $3401. Then you have the freight charge(to the dealer) of $300. Then you have the Setupfee(ransom) money of $400 that they keep. Now the total of the invoice is $4101. That bike is advertised as retailing for $4199. If it is sold at the advertised retail price the dealer has made $98 until months later when he receives his $400 back. You can call it set up money, I call it ransom. They hold my money until I give them the information that they want. My office lady screws up and doesn't register that bike, I'm screwed. Now if all goes to plan, I get retail on the bike, I charge the $300 freight that they charge me and I get MY $400 back I have made $798. That is not taking into consideration fuel, labor, trash removal, commission to the sales guy and other small expenses.

It doesn't go to plan when you are a fan of MX. It sucks when your best buddy comes in and wants a deal off of retail for a new 50 for his kid.

You are correct you do not make any money on 50s the idea of mini bikes is to establish brand loyalty. b you do make money on the bigger bikes roughly about $1,200 a little more on the EXC. ktm gives you a MSRP for the bike and that's what most dealerships advertise them for but then when you go to pick up your new bike they tack on destination fees and setup fees( at one time the KTM dealer contract stated you couldn't do this) this is deceitful to me advertise the bike for what you're actually selling it for, that way I'm not wasting my time if I think your pricing is totally nuts. we sold for MSRP the credit after registering the bike covered the shipping I remember shipping only being around 250.00 but maybe it varies on where you're located. As mentioned in this tread dirt bike sales really don't keep the lights on , parts and service is what keeps the lights on by being a dealer for a particular brand it guarantees you a customer base if you're a bad dealer and you can't keep customers well that's on you , and you definitely can't please everybody.

I can also sympathize with dealers put on here as pet peeves , man some people sure have big ones. I'm just not a fan of these Walmart style dealerships it's impossible for them to keep a good parts inventory unfortunately that's all that's left.
Titan1
10/26/2017 12:34pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I hate when a dealer won’t give me an otd price. Always tell you that thy need you to come in. No dude, give me an...
I hate when a dealer won’t give me an otd price. Always tell you that thy need you to come in. No dude, give me an otd price and I will come in, buy a bike and get some stuff for the new bike! Very few dealers around me will give an otd price. I’m not wasting my time driving an hour to your dealership to find out I’ll get a better price somewhere else
logan_140 wrote:
I don't understand why dealers don't understand that price is all that matters when it comes to dirt bikes? A dirt bike is a dirt bike...there are no options/upgrades/trim packages to consider...you can't custom order one...they are all exactly the same...I just want to pay as little as possible, and be able to figure that out without driving to 3 or 4 different shops in a 50 miles radius.

They say people are less likely to buy a bike from them if they give OTD over the phone...well...that's true, especially, if their bikes aren't the cheapest. Hoping to get a customer in the door so you can sell them an overpriced bike based on salesmanship, is crap. Places that are reluctant to give an OTD price over the phone, know their stuff is over priced.

Many dealers have this entitlement mentality...support us because we're "local"...support us because we're the good ol' boys and have been around for ever...support us for our sentimental value of the good ol' days when dealerships actually mattered....I know we are more expensive...I know we don't have the part you need in stock...I know our salesman know nothing...I know our parts counter knows nothing....I know its going to take us three-four weeks to get your top end finished...but, you should support us anyway-and we'll try and make you feel guilty if you don't...because we're local, been around for ever, and remember the good ol' days when everyone used to buy from dealership...what more reason do you need?
Vet Rider
10/26/2017 12:40pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
logan_140 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
I don't understand why dealers don't understand that price is all that matters when it comes to dirt bikes? A dirt bike is a dirt bike...there...
I don't understand why dealers don't understand that price is all that matters when it comes to dirt bikes? A dirt bike is a dirt bike...there are no options/upgrades/trim packages to consider...you can't custom order one...they are all exactly the same...I just want to pay as little as possible, and be able to figure that out without driving to 3 or 4 different shops in a 50 miles radius.

They say people are less likely to buy a bike from them if they give OTD over the phone...well...that's true, especially, if their bikes aren't the cheapest. Hoping to get a customer in the door so you can sell them an overpriced bike based on salesmanship, is crap. Places that are reluctant to give an OTD price over the phone, know their stuff is over priced.

Many dealers have this entitlement mentality...support us because we're "local"...support us because we're the good ol' boys and have been around for ever...support us for our sentimental value of the good ol' days when dealerships actually mattered....I know we are more expensive...I know we don't have the part you need in stock...I know our salesman know nothing...I know our parts counter knows nothing....I know its going to take us three-four weeks to get your top end finished...but, you should support us anyway-and we'll try and make you feel guilty if you don't...because we're local, been around for ever, and remember the good ol' days when everyone used to buy from dealership...what more reason do you need?
^^^^^^THIS. We have one of those good ole boy KTM dealers in my area. And they are always the most expensive for both parts and bikes. I tried to buy my 17 KTM 250 SX-F from them twice. Both at the beginning of the season and at the end. The only difference in price was the end of season price had the rebate. But they wanted to add $800 in freight back into the price. I finally gave up and drove two hours south and got the same bike for almost $2000 less. No setup fees and I got it for invoice + rebates.

They would have had me as a customer for everything, but they lost me. I'll buy oil and filters from there, but thats it.
Steadman
10/26/2017 1:20pm
Titan1 wrote:
I don't understand why dealers don't understand that price is all that matters when it comes to dirt bikes? A dirt bike is a dirt bike...there...

Your last paragraph reflects the kind of customer most businesses don't want, and I'm not just talking about motorcycle dealers.

10/26/2017 1:28pm
Titan1 wrote:

MSRP is not "overpriced".
SoCalMX70
10/26/2017 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 1:30pm
I'm just glad that the dealer I go to has a couple signs that says something along the lines of "We know what you want because all of our employees ride too!". And they do. And they don't jerk you around.

As I said in my previous reply, it's the service area that gets me. Just be straight up when I drop something off. I never drop something off needing it rushed.... So tell me a week or 2 weeks or whatever if it's going to take that long! It will save us both the bother of me showing up expecting something done when you said it would be done.
10/26/2017 1:32pm
Vet Rider wrote:
^^^^^^THIS. We have one of those good ole boy KTM dealers in my area. And they are always the most expensive for both parts and bikes...
^^^^^^THIS. We have one of those good ole boy KTM dealers in my area. And they are always the most expensive for both parts and bikes. I tried to buy my 17 KTM 250 SX-F from them twice. Both at the beginning of the season and at the end. The only difference in price was the end of season price had the rebate. But they wanted to add $800 in freight back into the price. I finally gave up and drove two hours south and got the same bike for almost $2000 less. No setup fees and I got it for invoice + rebates.

They would have had me as a customer for everything, but they lost me. I'll buy oil and filters from there, but thats it.
That dealership you now buy your oil & filters from is stoked.

You didnt cost them money on a floor unit. And now you buy the stuff with the highest margins from them.

And that dealership 3-4 hours away that "earned" your business? They thought they'd make it back on selling you oil & filters. They totally fucked themselves and are the perfect example of why you should never compete on price.

The sales price of a dirtbike is not a "customer service" issue.
Titan1
10/26/2017 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 1:57pm
Titan1 wrote:

MSRP is not "overpriced".
It is if their competition is selling it for less than they are-assuming they want to sell dirt bikes.

And its not about MSRP...its about all the other "fees" that dealers charge before getting to the OTD price. If the MSPR was the OTD price, then you would have a point.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/26/2017 2:08pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I'm just glad that the dealer I go to has a couple signs that says something along the lines of "We know what you want because...
I'm just glad that the dealer I go to has a couple signs that says something along the lines of "We know what you want because all of our employees ride too!". And they do. And they don't jerk you around.

As I said in my previous reply, it's the service area that gets me. Just be straight up when I drop something off. I never drop something off needing it rushed.... So tell me a week or 2 weeks or whatever if it's going to take that long! It will save us both the bother of me showing up expecting something done when you said it would be done.
T.O or Simi?

Post a reply to: Dealership pet peeves...

The Latest