Dealership pet peeves...

Edited Date/Time 11/3/2017 11:13am
Im doing a bit of a research project. I wanna hear your pet peeves at dealerships. Gimme the little annoying things that get under your skin yet could easily be avoided if the dealership pulled their heads out of their asses.

Mine? I hate how often I see bikes with the fork stickers on upside down. For the life of me I cannot understand why mfg's dont apply the graphics at the factory. Seeing WP looking like "dM" or Showa upside down is such an eyesore.
|
mxb2
10/24/2017 7:04pm
Kawy and their backwards crossbar pads.
Mx286
10/24/2017 7:09pm
Routing the brake line behind the number plate.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
10/24/2017 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 7:16pm
The salesman making talk then ragging on the bike I currently have. Salesman saying "just pick a color they are all the same" clearly knowing more than the salesman.

They lean up against the counter all day and when people come in they think they are some kinda hotshots. Take that leaning time and read a magazine or learn about what you are selling.

No 2 strokes.
aeffertz
10/24/2017 7:13pm
When you want to buy a bike but no one comes to talk to you, not knowing you could buy the entire dealership if you wanted to.

The Shop

10/24/2017 7:13pm
Leaving the fleet of KTM units out in the pouring rain, multiple days in a row.
10/24/2017 7:18pm
Giving you the bullshit line of we can’t go lower than 11,500 or we will be loosing money, even though your friend just bought the same bike for $10,000.
reded
10/24/2017 7:18pm
Overly eager salesmen and at the same time lazy salesmen. All they have to do is watch a guy, let him identify the model that he wants, touch it, look at if for a few mins and then move in for the sale. Instead you either get some bastard jabbering at you from the time you walk in the door and won't let you have two thoughts to yourself or get the lazy fucker that's still feeling the effects of too much booze from Friday night and cant wait till closing time.
FIREfish148
10/24/2017 7:21pm
The huge egos most of them tend to have. Then seeing the way they're whole attitude changes after you tell them you are a racer. (Or used to Wink )lol
10/24/2017 7:23pm
Mx286 wrote:
Routing the brake line behind the number plate.
... and outside the fork guard.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
10/24/2017 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 7:35pm
Surprisingly I have had nothing but good experiences with our locals dealers over the past several years- nothing to complain.

Bought a new 450 from Mukwanago Yamaha a couple years ago at a great price and they were really easy to deal with. Bought a new snowmobile a month ago from a local dealer at a unbeatable low price- also easy to deal with.

I think the recession weeded out the bad dealers or at least changed the attitude of those who survived..

We do have a lot of good dealers around southern WI (such as Rock River Yamaha, Robs Perf, and Southeastern Sales) so everyone has upped their game.
Grenader26
10/24/2017 7:39pm
One parts guy at my local shop speaks in a fake British accent from time to time. No idea why but drives me nuts.
Superdave19
10/24/2017 7:39pm
Dang- I feel blessed.... The two major dealers here are absolute killer people in every dept. They are role model retailers.

Very lucky to have them, and happy to support them.
Bennett59
10/24/2017 8:09pm
Moparmotel wrote:
Giving you the bullshit line of we can’t go lower than 11,500 or we will be loosing money, even though your friend just bought the same...
Giving you the bullshit line of we can’t go lower than 11,500 or we will be loosing money, even though your friend just bought the same bike for $10,000.
Yea thats a good one, or a local shop never carries any parts for the 3 brands they carry in stock so they charge extra to have it shipped or over night.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/24/2017 8:52pm
I hate when a dealer won’t give me an otd price. Always tell you that thy need you to come in. No dude, give me an otd price and I will come in, buy a bike and get some stuff for the new bike! Very few dealers around me will give an otd price. I’m not wasting my time driving an hour to your dealership to find out I’ll get a better price somewhere else
Monk
10/24/2017 8:52pm
When my local dealer tells me he's giving me a discount, like he's doing me favour... "ok, your tire is $100...oh and less the 15% discount were giving too you" Phaq me!!! I hardly shop there now just cause of it...
BobPA
10/24/2017 9:16pm
Monk wrote:
When my local dealer tells me he's giving me a discount, like he's doing me favour... "ok, your tire is $100...oh and less the 15% discount...
When my local dealer tells me he's giving me a discount, like he's doing me favour... "ok, your tire is $100...oh and less the 15% discount were giving too you" Phaq me!!! I hardly shop there now just cause of it...
What are you saying here? You hate discounts?
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
10/24/2017 9:31pm
"We can order that for you"
SEE ARE125
10/24/2017 9:34pm
Monk wrote:
When my local dealer tells me he's giving me a discount, like he's doing me favour... "ok, your tire is $100...oh and less the 15% discount...
BobPA wrote:
What are you saying here? You hate discounts?
I think he’s saying the dealer prices stuff way above average retail price, then gives a 15% discount like he’s doing him a favor. Basically whispering sweet nothings in his ear, as opposed to just bending him over.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/24/2017 9:40pm
RonSkj wrote:
This too!!

Oh and another one I almost forgot... call the dealer up and give the parts guy the oem part number that you need, they look it up and tell you sorry we don’t have it. Call back ten minutes later, ask the guy for the same part but without a part number and bam they have it. Go to pick it up and see the part number you gave them plastered across the bag that the part came in. Had this happen way too many times.
mingham97
10/24/2017 10:19pm
RonSkj wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
This too!! Oh and another one I almost forgot... call the dealer up and give the parts guy the oem part number that you need, they...
This too!!

Oh and another one I almost forgot... call the dealer up and give the parts guy the oem part number that you need, they look it up and tell you sorry we don’t have it. Call back ten minutes later, ask the guy for the same part but without a part number and bam they have it. Go to pick it up and see the part number you gave them plastered across the bag that the part came in. Had this happen way too many times.
Why would they not accept a part number you gave them? Not having a dig just not sure what you're getting at
funktree
Fantasy
4081st
10/24/2017 10:47pm
Being closed on Sunday and Monday so if you break something on the weekend you better call first thing Tuesday morning or you are missing a weekend of riding.
BS12
10/24/2017 11:58pm
Holllyyy shittt there's some whining and complaining in here.

Being closed on a Sunday? When do they get to go ride and spend time with their families?

Not having every single part for every single bike/product on the shelf? How many 100's of thousands of dollars of stale, slow moving inventory do you guys expect dealers to keep in stock at all times?

The recurring theme I'm reading here is that everyone expects everything cheaper and cheaper, available yesterday, and if not, its not good enough and the dealer is bad mouthed.

Yes, I'm sure there are some dodgy dealers around, as well as some under educated staff employed, but to start a topic complaining about all your dealer pet peeves? Come on now. What about customer pet peeves from a dealership perspective? I'll bet the list is just as long.
funktree
Fantasy
4081st
10/25/2017 12:22am
I'm fine with being closed on a Sunday, but if you are then open up on Monday. They are shooting themselves in the foot because I end up buying parts online so I can be sure to have then for the following weekend. If you want to spend locally you are rolling the dice with Tuesday morning phone orders that often arrive on Friday, giving me about a 2 hour window after work on Friday to pick up parts if I want to ride that weekend.
10/25/2017 12:32am
BS12 wrote:
Holllyyy shittt there's some whining and complaining in here. Being closed on a Sunday? When do they get to go ride and spend time with their...

Being closed on a Sunday? When do they get to go ride and spend time with their families?

Not having every single part for every single bike/product on the shelf? How many 100's of thousands of dollars of stale, slow moving inventory do you guys expect dealers to keep in stock at all times?

The recurring theme I'm reading here is that everyone expects everything cheaper and cheaper, available yesterday, and if not, its not good enough and the dealer is bad mouthed.

Yes, I'm sure there are some dodgy dealers around, as well as some under educated staff employed, but to start a topic complaining about all your dealer pet peeves? Come on now. What about customer pet peeves from a dealership perspective? I'll bet the list is just as long.
Exactly what I was thinking!

Bummer huh, having to call up first thing Tuesday morning to get parts sorted for next weekend! I bet that's the guy who wants to walk in to the dealership at 5pm on Friday and expects everything he needs to be on the shelf!

You have to understand that with internet driving prices down there isn't the profit to pay super intelligent staff at the dealership!
You pay peanuts, you get monkeys..

I wonder if you could have a super-dealer, that had every conceivable part in stock, next day delivery, intelligent and excellent staff who never messed up, got everything right first time, no feasible excuse to complain because this dealership is PERFECT!
But.... prices were 50% higher than the 'regular' prices...

Would you buy there?
Rdubs19
10/25/2017 1:01am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I hate when a dealer won’t give me an otd price. Always tell you that thy need you to come in. No dude, give me an...
I hate when a dealer won’t give me an otd price. Always tell you that thy need you to come in. No dude, give me an otd price and I will come in, buy a bike and get some stuff for the new bike! Very few dealers around me will give an otd price. I’m not wasting my time driving an hour to your dealership to find out I’ll get a better price somewhere else
Former car salesman checking in....
I understand the frustration, BUT the odds are much, much, higher that you will purchase from that salesman if he gets you in the door. If he just tells you the price over the phone, it's extremely unlikely he'll ever hear from you again.
Acidreamer
10/25/2017 1:24am
My local dealer has a bunch of low end quality gear. Doesnt know shit about parts for bikes. And the mechanics are only good for doing bitch work like changing tires with their fancy machine. Not to mention the egos. Or parts prices that are way higher than anywhere online.
Rockinar
10/25/2017 2:59am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 3:13am
My biggest pet peeve. I went to like 8 Honda dealers and none had a CR125 in stock.

My dealers are all pretty good actually. I dont expect them to stock everything. They have bikes, good service. I dont relly care about parts and gear being stocked.

Only annoying thing is when you are standing in there with a checkbook in one hand and a pen in the other and you ask for an OTD price and they quote you sticker price + extras. Not even $1.00 off the sticker price.
kkawboy14
10/25/2017 3:19am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I hate when a dealer won’t give me an otd price. Always tell you that thy need you to come in. No dude, give me an...
Rdubs19 wrote:
Former car salesman checking in.... I understand the frustration, BUT the odds are much, much, higher that you will purchase from that salesman if he gets...
Former car salesman checking in....
I understand the frustration, BUT the odds are much, much, higher that you will purchase from that salesman if he gets you in the door. If he just tells you the price over the phone, it's extremely unlikely he'll ever hear from you again.
That’s not true about having to get you in, if the guy wants your car he’s gonna come buy it! (I’m in he car business too)
kkawboy14
10/25/2017 3:20am
BS12 wrote:
Holllyyy shittt there's some whining and complaining in here. Being closed on a Sunday? When do they get to go ride and spend time with their...

I think the reality is “they never have any part you need”
305FC250
10/25/2017 3:36am
Moparmotel wrote:
Giving you the bullshit line of we can’t go lower than 11,500 or we will be loosing money, even though your friend just bought the same...
This has got to be the number one. I hate when they tell me they "can't" do any better on pricing when I know for a fact they can. I also hate being spoken to as if they think they can just bullshit their way to a sale with me because they are for some reason making the assumption I don't know how dealers and vehicle purchases work.

Never having any parts in stock is also annoying. God forbid I need something basic (like a clutch lever) last minute I can't count on anyone to have it in stock.

And the "discount" giving parts guys are also a bit silly... "So I hooked you up with this sweet discount now the part is only $50 too expensive instead of $65." Though for my Husky I do have a guy that I go to which has helped me out a lot and always gets really close to online pricing. So there are exceptions.

Post a reply to: Dealership pet peeves...

The Latest