Dealers advertising low bike prices

dvfan12
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2014 10:51am
Why do they advertise a new '13 yz450f for $4,498 on cycle trader.com and charge so much more...? I called in attempt to save everyone's time and one of the internet sales guy invited me to come in, "for an awesome deal." He would not quote OTD over the phone. I go in and 15 minutes later find out with freight, sales tax 6% and prep OTD is $6,498...! Insulting & shameful. I guess it's cheap marketing for them. I s/h known better... Sick of this shit. It's like when you buy a new car (14 f'ing hours later for some reason Smile then you get hard sold
|
mxb2
10/17/2014 3:06pm
Probably because 90% of the people who call for prices dont show up to buy.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
10/17/2014 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 3:07pm
I don't get it, I was told several times earlier this year that I couldn't get an OTD quote over the phone. After I told them I live 1-2 hours away and there is no way I'm driving there just to hear a higher price in person. They didn't get it, that if they gave me a price I liked over the phone I would drive there and buy the bike instead of hanging up.
dvfan12
10/17/2014 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 3:09pm
Hard sold on window tint, tire insurance, special wax, LoJack -- After you agreed to buy the car...
danzig138
Fantasy
4063rd
10/17/2014 3:18pm
I just bought a bike and its Setup fees and extra charges where they get you and make there money on the deal.

The Shop

Lightning78
10/17/2014 3:24pm
Ive worked for 2 different dealerships years ago and you will NEVER get an OTD price on a bike from a salesman for 2 reasons:

1. They want you to come in and make the deal, now I disagree with all the extra "Fees" but as a practice no sales manager will ever let a salesman "Desk" a deal over the phone the goal is to get the customer in the store.

2. And this one is probably the most important one, they wont quote you a deal over the phone because 99.9999999% of people will take that number and shop it around to every shop within 100 miles of their location and usually dealerships talk and know when this is happening and in some cases will not go for it.
Drtbykr
10/17/2014 3:34pm
Most bike shops suck. That is a very attractive price to advertise and garner interest with though!

I sort of get the set up fee (PDI), but admin. costs ($250 around here) I don't get.

And delivery charges, that is just nuts. (for cars too).
10/17/2014 3:52pm
Drtbykr wrote:
Most bike shops suck. That is a very attractive price to advertise and garner interest with though! I sort of get the set up fee (PDI)...
Most bike shops suck. That is a very attractive price to advertise and garner interest with though!

I sort of get the set up fee (PDI), but admin. costs ($250 around here) I don't get.

I used to sell bikes for a living and the fees are retarrrded!!
PDI/setup.. ok I get that.
but yes, freight and everything else.. NOT A CHANCE.

I actually just contacted Moto City in Tucson AZ recently.. They gave me an OTD price on a 14 Husky TC250 of $6105.
They MSRP for like 7400 or so. (7200?). Those guys shoot it straight. If other shops were like that, they'd sell more bikes.

But.. I am guilty of pulling the "just come on down. I'll take real good care of you line" many times back in those days.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
10/17/2014 4:57pm
I agree why advertise on Cycle Trader if you don't want to do business over the phone or thru email? Dealer near me had a left over bike on cycle trader, said call for price. So I did, and got the same run around about come in. Since not that far away I did, they wanted more for the left over than another dealer 20 miles away wanted for current year. When I told them that they ask "what is it going to take to have you take this home?" WTF, a price less than a new one....
bsharkey
10/17/2014 5:07pm
most of that is bs. I just picked up a new 15 this week for $300 under msrp OTD done.no freight or setup or extra fees and its a 15 and its still 2014. the good shops have it figured out. tell me this the shop I went to sells such huge volume they must be making money somewhere
Electro
10/17/2014 5:11pm
Drtbykr wrote:
Most bike shops suck. That is a very attractive price to advertise and garner interest with though! I sort of get the set up fee (PDI)...

I used to sell bikes for a living and the fees are retarrrded!! PDI/setup.. ok I get that. but yes, freight and everything else.. NOT A...
I used to sell bikes for a living and the fees are retarrrded!!
PDI/setup.. ok I get that.
but yes, freight and everything else.. NOT A CHANCE.

I actually just contacted Moto City in Tucson AZ recently.. They gave me an OTD price on a 14 Husky TC250 of $6105.
They MSRP for like 7400 or so. (7200?). Those guys shoot it straight. If other shops were like that, they'd sell more bikes.

But.. I am guilty of pulling the "just come on down. I'll take real good care of you line" many times back in those days.
Rock River Yamaha is Like that in the southern wi. area, I have purchased bikes over the phone, went in and received exactly what they told me and it was not even in writing. Great shop and they often have some great prices also.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/17/2014 5:14pm
You need to find a local dealer who supports your local racers/race scene and not focus on the dealer who advertises the cheapest prices.

For example- I can think of a handful of dealers in WI who support the local racing scene and will give you a fair/honest price on a bike..
RealityCheck
10/17/2014 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 5:29pm
dvfan12 wrote:
Why do they advertise a new '13 yz450f for $4,498 on cycle trader.com and charge so much more...? I called in attempt to save everyone's time...
Why do they advertise a new '13 yz450f for $4,498 on cycle trader.com and charge so much more...? I called in attempt to save everyone's time and one of the internet sales guy invited me to come in, "for an awesome deal." He would not quote OTD over the phone. I go in and 15 minutes later find out with freight, sales tax 6% and prep OTD is $6,498...! Insulting & shameful. I guess it's cheap marketing for them. I s/h known better... Sick of this shit. It's like when you buy a new car (14 f'ing hours later for some reason Smile then you get hard sold
Most of the dealers in my area do the same thing. I learned long ago that the prices they post on the internet are pretty much meaningless. The only exception is Ridersville Cycle in Berkeley Springs, WV. They're a couple hours away from me, but well worth the drive. I've purchased several bikes from them and the price OTD was exactly what they quoted over the phone. When I bought my 2014 KTM 150SX from them last December, I was on my way home with the bike in the truck less than 15 minutes after I arrived. Plus, they have by far the best prices around here. IIRC, my 150 was $6150 OTD.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/17/2014 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 5:27pm
Look at it from the motorcycle dealership's perspective:

If they quote you a deal so good that it's barely worth their time to do the paperwork, some other dealer will beat it by $20 just to earn the business.

If they give you a fair and honest price out the door, any other dealer can easily beat it by at least $100.

If they give you regular retail, you'll buy somewhere else.

The way I approach it is this: Go into the store in person. Let them quote you a ridiculously overpriced total. Offer a ridiculously lowball offer instead. Then, say, "let's cut the crap and I'll give you a fair price" and offer them a realistic number.
By the way, if you don't know what a realistic number is, it's usually about MSRP with the dealer paying your tax and setup. Go ahead and give them the $45 for DOC or DMV just to be cool. Don't ask them to "Throw in" a new Shoei helmet, but by all means ask to get a deal on one if you purchase it with the bike.

Dealers are just people too, trying to make a living in a cutthroat world. Often times they have to make a homerun on 1 deal to some unlucky bastard just to make up for the 10 next-to-zero-profit deals they just had to make. Don't be the unlucky bastard. On the other hand, don't be the dude that swears up and down that you "know how much they pay for these things, so here's $900 for your 2015 RM-Z450." (Unless you really do know and are willing to offer the dealer a small profit.)
captmoto
10/17/2014 7:32pm
Ive worked for 2 different dealerships years ago and you will NEVER get an OTD price on a bike from a salesman for 2 reasons: 1...
Ive worked for 2 different dealerships years ago and you will NEVER get an OTD price on a bike from a salesman for 2 reasons:

1. They want you to come in and make the deal, now I disagree with all the extra "Fees" but as a practice no sales manager will ever let a salesman "Desk" a deal over the phone the goal is to get the customer in the store.

2. And this one is probably the most important one, they wont quote you a deal over the phone because 99.9999999% of people will take that number and shop it around to every shop within 100 miles of their location and usually dealerships talk and know when this is happening and in some cases will not go for it.
Call John Burr Cycles. I think Cucamonga Yamaha will do it too. I know you can walk in and they will quote you straight up.
jloucks742
10/17/2014 8:05pm
Will a dealer sell a bike still in the crate and take away the setup fees and what not?
Tim507
10/17/2014 8:15pm
Want a good bike and parts price? Create some loyalty with the dealer, works every time!
RMT
10/17/2014 8:27pm
jloucks742 wrote:
Will a dealer sell a bike still in the crate and take away the setup fees and what not?
They are not supposed to do that for liability reasons.

What do you guys think a dealer should make on a sale? 5%, 10%? Just curious.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
10/17/2014 8:30pm
The sticker today on my 15 CRF was 8600 and I got it down to 7800 and paid just over 9000 otd with all the fee's which caught me off-guard. I have bought a dozen bikes over the years from them and they have always taken care of me but bikes are so expensive. That's the most I have ever paid.
X-RACER
10/17/2014 8:56pm
dvfan12 wrote:
Why do they advertise a new '13 yz450f for $4,498 on cycle trader.com and charge so much more...? I called in attempt to save everyone's time...
Most of the dealers in my area do the same thing. I learned long ago that the prices they post on the internet are pretty much...
Most of the dealers in my area do the same thing. I learned long ago that the prices they post on the internet are pretty much meaningless. The only exception is Ridersville Cycle in Berkeley Springs, WV. They're a couple hours away from me, but well worth the drive. I've purchased several bikes from them and the price OTD was exactly what they quoted over the phone. When I bought my 2014 KTM 150SX from them last December, I was on my way home with the bike in the truck less than 15 minutes after I arrived. Plus, they have by far the best prices around here. IIRC, my 150 was $6150 OTD.
Ridersville cycle. I bought a bike from them through E-bay, seemed way under priced. About $2000. cheaper then in NY. So I drove down and it was exactly as stated. Great guys I would purchase from them again.
Brent
10/17/2014 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 10:39pm
I bought a new kxf in the crate two years ago and had it shipped to San diego from a great dealer in Oklahoma , even with the freight it was 1500 cheaper than the best price I got in California.

Set up cost the average dealer about $85.00 if they do it themselves, a little more if the have an outside assembler do it for them.
10/17/2014 11:37pm
In California bikes have an 8% mark up or something. What is stoping guys from just driving a few hours to AZ to collect bikes?
RobKacp
10/18/2014 5:41am
I hear what you are saying, Brad460, about supporting local dealers, but many will not budge at all. I called my local dealer and offered to pay them 100 MORE for my new bike (8500, no setup, plus tax and doc fee) than it cost me to have one shipped from another dealer just to buy local, but they flat would not meet that price.

I'm all for paying *a bit* more for local, but that's just bad business.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/18/2014 6:06am
RobKacp wrote:
I hear what you are saying, Brad460, about supporting local dealers, but many will not budge at all. I called my local dealer and offered to...
I hear what you are saying, Brad460, about supporting local dealers, but many will not budge at all. I called my local dealer and offered to pay them 100 MORE for my new bike (8500, no setup, plus tax and doc fee) than it cost me to have one shipped from another dealer just to buy local, but they flat would not meet that price.

I'm all for paying *a bit* more for local, but that's just bad business.
Not so much that they have to be a local dealer, but a dealer within a reasonable distance who strongly supports motocross. I guess I am just lucky to have 3 excellent dealers who are very dedicated to the local motocross scene within 15-30 minutes of home! And they cover all brands..
resetjet
10/18/2014 6:27am
DVfan......trader.com is no more then a lead generator for them. Who you gonna call, the guy with the low price, or the guy with MSRP. Then they get you on the phone and try to sell you a bike.
1bigsave
10/18/2014 9:00am
Set up 100. cost, freight 100.cost, doc fee 50. cost, sales tax, a lot. All legit but it all adds up.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
10/18/2014 9:09am
Thousand Oaks Powersports is the only one getting my business, they WILL work with you to get a great price on any model current or old stock. I've done three deals over the phone and drove in to pick up. The race crew is out of this world, they are at most medium and big races supporting their riders and others. Can't say enough good things about them! They also have a lot of bikes in stock.
40Plus_922mx
10/18/2014 9:17am
I have used Berts Megamall and John Burr Cycle for 20 years. Between the two they will get you the best deal. You gotta play the game. After a few years I knew a couple sales people by name. I'd just call and tell them it was that time again and theyd hook me up.
jeffro503
10/18/2014 9:52am
Shocking to read some of the experiences on this stuff. Maybe it all boils down to what kind of a relationship you have with a certain bike shop? Every single time I've bought new bikes , I know some of the people working there pretty well. When they give me a set price on a bike over the phone.....that is exactly what I pay when I pick it up. The bikes I've bought from the couple shops I bought them from , have always saved me very penny they could.

What the OP put up about '13 yz450f for $4,498..... freight, sales tax 6% and prep OTD is $6,498......that is insane and I would never deal with that shop ever again plain and simple.
TailSoHard
10/18/2014 9:54am
Falcon wrote:
Look at it from the motorcycle dealership's perspective: If they quote you a deal so good that it's barely worth their time to do the paperwork...
Look at it from the motorcycle dealership's perspective:

If they quote you a deal so good that it's barely worth their time to do the paperwork, some other dealer will beat it by $20 just to earn the business.

If they give you a fair and honest price out the door, any other dealer can easily beat it by at least $100.

If they give you regular retail, you'll buy somewhere else.

The way I approach it is this: Go into the store in person. Let them quote you a ridiculously overpriced total. Offer a ridiculously lowball offer instead. Then, say, "let's cut the crap and I'll give you a fair price" and offer them a realistic number.
By the way, if you don't know what a realistic number is, it's usually about MSRP with the dealer paying your tax and setup. Go ahead and give them the $45 for DOC or DMV just to be cool. Don't ask them to "Throw in" a new Shoei helmet, but by all means ask to get a deal on one if you purchase it with the bike.

Dealers are just people too, trying to make a living in a cutthroat world. Often times they have to make a homerun on 1 deal to some unlucky bastard just to make up for the 10 next-to-zero-profit deals they just had to make. Don't be the unlucky bastard. On the other hand, don't be the dude that swears up and down that you "know how much they pay for these things, so here's $900 for your 2015 RM-Z450." (Unless you really do know and are willing to offer the dealer a small profit.)
As a moto salesman for a large dealership, I 100% agree with this. We are in a tough position as dealers. We all love bikes, we all want to get a good deal, and we all want to ride. That being said, the emotion that takes over when looking at buying a new bike is greed. Everybody wants a better deal than the last guy. Unfortunately, most of the time, that turns into a battle between dealers over who wants to lose the most money on the sale. All the dealerships buy these bikes from the manufacturer for the same price, so they end up just battling over a customer and screwing themselves (and their margins) in the process.

So what am I supposed to do? Make money on parts and service? I can't because most of the people that are buying new bikes from me are buying all their parts online and fixing their own stuff!!

The real problem, in my opinion, is that the internet has made it so easy for people to price shop, that they only care about the price of the bike now, instead of the quality of the dealership that they are buying it from. As some people stated above, the best thing to do is find a dealership that you like, and establish a relationship with them. For example, when I sell a vehicle, you get a discount on all your parts for a year. Well, if you actually use that discount, and come to me for your parts after buying your vehicle, your discount continues on after that first year, and usually grows larger as you buy more and more from me. But Joe Blow, who just wants me to quote him my "best price" over the phone, isn't going to drive 3 hours to get parts from me after he buys that bike, so why would I quote him my lowest price over the phone? I'm just supposed to sell it to him at dealer cost and try again on the next guy? I don't think so...

You are much better off finding a dealership that you love, shopping around for a price, and then offering the dealership that you like a chance at selling it to you at that price. That way you know you got a price you're happy with from a dealer you're happy with. Then you'll get dealers doing things for you like throwing in parts, setting up the bike for your riding style and weight, and giving you support in ways other than just an extra $100 off the price of the bike.

My best advice is this: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get an "out the door price". The setup, freight, prep, doc, tax, and title fees are meaningless. The only thing that matters is what you write the check for.

Learn how to shop before you complain about how people sell.

And remember, "best price" does not mean "best value"

Post a reply to: Dealers advertising low bike prices

The Latest