Mapping help and injector recall CRF450WE

Edited Date/Time 2/19/2021 7:53am
I couldnt find the post in the many crf450 threads. Could someone please share.

TD told me to try that. No one has really tested the Works edition yet
|
fourfourone
2/11/2021 8:12am
mxrider118 wrote:
I couldnt find the post in the many crf450 threads. Could someone please share. TD told me to try that. No one has really tested the...

What exactly are you asking?
kiwifan
2/11/2021 12:49pm
I am told its best to call the techline and get details off them to pass onto Dealers, for some reason some dealers have not seen the remap/injector issues, check out the CRF450WE threads on Facebook, some great info there
TeamGreen
2/11/2021 1:07pm
mxrider118 wrote:
I couldnt find the post in the many crf450 threads. Could someone please share. TD told me to try that. No one has really tested the...

I just checked the Honda Canada/Motorcycle web-site...uh...wow. Terrible. NOTHING and NOWHERE to go for tech support of any kind.

It's time to contact your dealer and tell them to 'handle it"...or...a guy could contact the brain-trust at GDR...?

Good luck!

The Shop

Meister
2/11/2021 4:14pm
TDR motorsports had my WE to tune on his dyno. He ended up with a very clean set up! I have yet to ride it, but I will soon. Dyno shows the hiccup is gone that was clearly there when we started. No fouled plugs or anything yet either.
Bennett59
2/11/2021 9:22pm
Are the Works Editions Mapped the same as the normal 21? I thought the Works Editions got different mapping to go with the yosh system and head work, or at least that was the case on the last gen works editions I thought.
2/12/2021 5:34am
mxrider118 wrote:

What exactly are you asking?
If you dont understand or have this bike..dont comment..weird others figured it out.
2/12/2021 5:35am
Meister wrote:
TDR motorsports had my WE to tune on his dyno. He ended up with a very clean set up! I have yet to ride it, but...
TDR motorsports had my WE to tune on his dyno. He ended up with a very clean set up! I have yet to ride it, but I will soon. Dyno shows the hiccup is gone that was clearly there when we started. No fouled plugs or anything yet either.
Hey do you have his contact info? Thanks
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
2/12/2021 10:10am
Bennett59 wrote:
Are the Works Editions Mapped the same as the normal 21? I thought the Works Editions got different mapping to go with the yosh system and...
Are the Works Editions Mapped the same as the normal 21? I thought the Works Editions got different mapping to go with the yosh system and head work, or at least that was the case on the last gen works editions I thought.
Speculation/deduction on my part: They are mapped the same.

I say this because -

A ) That screen shot above seems to imply the "repair map" is one and the same for both bikes.

B ) If the bikes came originally with separate maps that would imply that Honda had put each of them on the dyno separately to create unique maps for each. I find it hard to believe they dyno tuned each separately yet somehow managed to come up with shitty maps for both bikes, each of them exhibiting the same shitty symptoms. More likely they ran the same shitty map in both bikes. A fair assumption, I think, especially given the general state of failure they've achieved on this whole deal.
2/12/2021 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2021 1:16pm
Are you sure the RWEs even have the same mapping flaw that the regular Rs have? By the time the RWEs started shipping, Honda already had feedback about the map issue from all the test riders that rode the Rs. I can’t believe they wouldn’t have corrected it while dialing in the RWE map. If they put the same flawed map in this bike that was put in the standard one, that amounts to false advertising. I thought one of the selling points of this bike was the fact that it has a custom map matched to the head mods and exhaust.
2/12/2021 1:18pm
Are you sure the RWEs even have the same mapping flaw that the regular Rs have? By the time the RWEs started shipping, Honda already had...
Are you sure the RWEs even have the same mapping flaw that the regular Rs have? By the time the RWEs started shipping, Honda already had feedback about the map issue from all the test riders that rode the Rs. I can’t believe they wouldn’t have corrected it while dialing in the RWE map. If they put the same flawed map in this bike that was put in the standard one, that amounts to false advertising. I thought one of the selling points of this bike was the fact that it has a custom map matched to the head mods and exhaust.
Yeah many Works edition owners having the same issues. I have contacted TDR to have my stock WE ecu remapped.

Once I get it back and test it once snow flies I will give honest opinion.

Meister
2/12/2021 8:17pm
Hey man, sorry I didn't catch sooner that you were looking for TDR contact!
afk66
2/13/2021 9:47am
Bennett59 wrote:
Are the Works Editions Mapped the same as the normal 21? I thought the Works Editions got different mapping to go with the yosh system and...
FGR01 wrote:
Speculation/deduction on my part: They are mapped the same. I say this because - A ) That screen shot above seems to imply the "repair map"...
Speculation/deduction on my part: They are mapped the same.

I say this because -

A ) That screen shot above seems to imply the "repair map" is one and the same for both bikes.

B ) If the bikes came originally with separate maps that would imply that Honda had put each of them on the dyno separately to create unique maps for each. I find it hard to believe they dyno tuned each separately yet somehow managed to come up with shitty maps for both bikes, each of them exhibiting the same shitty symptoms. More likely they ran the same shitty map in both bikes. A fair assumption, I think, especially given the general state of failure they've achieved on this whole deal.
So this is from Honda’s website “exclusive” to the Rwe...

“Homologated for racing and available in limited numbers, the CRF450RWE Works Edition includes all the big improvements of this year’s CRF450R plus a special hand-ported cylinder head; Hinson clutch basket and cover; Twin Air filter, Throttle Jockey graphics and seat cover; upgraded DID DirtStar LT-X rims; an exclusive Yoshimura exhaust system including a titanium header; titanium nitride-coated lower fork legs; revalved suspension; an RK gold chain; special ECU settings; and black triple clamps.“

Claiming special ecu settings, and as it looks with the update them being actually the same. Unless in that download they have maps for both models? I still can’t find a dealership that has been helpful in anyway yet either. So it seems like a challenge to get this remap!,
Pink
2/13/2021 9:53am
Meister wrote:
TDR motorsports had my WE to tune on his dyno. He ended up with a very clean set up! I have yet to ride it, but...
Did he remove the noise reducer with the new tune? I’m sure it would make lots more power.
Meister
2/14/2021 5:26pm
We did not. I wanted it left. I wanted to take the stock WE and turn it into a clean running machine regardless of what honda provided.

I rode it for the first time today at a local indoor. I freaking love this bike! Very confidence inspiring. 0 issues with mapping and for my riding style map 3 was on point.. map 2 was very smooth and nice, but it felt like I needed another tooth on the rear for quick seat bouncing out of corners. I think this will be a great map outdoors when it's slick. Map 3 allowed me to seat bounce with confidence. Everywhere around the track it had the right kinda power right when I needed it.

mattbmx63
2/15/2021 1:01am
Meister wrote:
Pink wrote:
Did he remove the noise reducer with the new tune? I’m sure it would make lots more power.
What is the noise reducer?
Meister
2/15/2021 4:24am
Meister wrote:
Pink wrote:
mattbmx63 wrote:
I'm only assuming it's the mesh piece in the exhaust.
Jg144
2/15/2021 6:24am
There is three different map updates. One for the we, one for the r, and one for the rx. When the bike is plugged in you choose the correct update per the units vin number.
afk66
2/15/2021 6:29am
Jg144 wrote:
There is three different map updates. One for the we, one for the r, and one for the rx. When the bike is plugged in you...
There is three different map updates. One for the we, one for the r, and one for the rx. When the bike is plugged in you choose the correct update per the units vin number.
Are you doing the updates? Still having problems with the local dealerships. I’d be willing to ship my ecu to someone that can do the update. You’d think the dealerships would be more willing to look into the issue. The ones around me have said I don’t see anything nothing I can do!!
Jg144
2/15/2021 7:47am
Honda added the info on our dealer site. It’s easy to find if you know where to look. I ride with guys on 21’s so I made sure to find the info so I could help them. To update the ecu I need to be able to plug into the units dlc connector. So I would be possible to update your ecu as along we have a 21 in stock to install the ecu on and the plug in to the diagnostic tool.
2/15/2021 8:28am
Meister wrote:
We did not. I wanted it left. I wanted to take the stock WE and turn it into a clean running machine regardless of what honda...
We did not. I wanted it left. I wanted to take the stock WE and turn it into a clean running machine regardless of what honda provided.

I rode it for the first time today at a local indoor. I freaking love this bike! Very confidence inspiring. 0 issues with mapping and for my riding style map 3 was on point.. map 2 was very smooth and nice, but it felt like I needed another tooth on the rear for quick seat bouncing out of corners. I think this will be a great map outdoors when it's slick. Map 3 allowed me to seat bounce with confidence. Everywhere around the track it had the right kinda power right when I needed it.

My ECU was sent to TDR so looking for great things.

Did you guys map on pump fuel.

Other question did you change gearing. I heard stock gearing was pretty good. Or did you jump to 49 rear?

Be riding here by april I hope.
Meister
2/15/2021 9:16am
Yes, we did map on pump fuel. Thought about doing race gas but figured most people don't use it and honestly I didn't wanna deal with having to search out race gas either when I need gas..

I did go 1 up in the rear. I believe it was the right choice. Super fast tracks with big open corners, stock may be the ticket.
RCMXracing
2/15/2021 9:39am
Jg144 wrote:
There is three different map updates. One for the we, one for the r, and one for the rx. When the bike is plugged in you...
Would like to know how different the WE and R maps are. I have the Yosh exhaust on my R. Headwork minimum on WE. Might be better off with the WE map. What you think?
mattbmx63
2/15/2021 4:09pm
So is the noise reducer the mesh screen?
Skuzzy29
2/15/2021 4:31pm
mattbmx63 wrote:
So is the noise reducer the mesh screen?
Everybody knows the noise reducer is the muffler/silencer. Straight pipe FTW!
2/18/2021 1:32pm
Meister wrote:
Yes, we did map on pump fuel. Thought about doing race gas but figured most people don't use it and honestly I didn't wanna deal with...
Yes, we did map on pump fuel. Thought about doing race gas but figured most people don't use it and honestly I didn't wanna deal with having to search out race gas either when I need gas..

I did go 1 up in the rear. I believe it was the right choice. Super fast tracks with big open corners, stock may be the ticket.
Ill run it stock for now see how it works. DO you know if I could use T4 with that tune or should I stick to pump gas 93.

Also, have you heard of the injector recall. My dealer doesnt have any issue. is it based off the vin depending on the batch? Hope you can help.
Pink
2/18/2021 2:40pm
Pink wrote:
mattbmx63 wrote:
Meister wrote:
I'm only assuming it's the mesh piece in the exhaust.
There is a screw in the bottom of the end cap, remove it and the insert comes out. This opens up the exhaust to about 2”. Lets it breathe. The screen is not removable.
Meister
2/18/2021 3:21pm
Meister wrote:
Yes, we did map on pump fuel. Thought about doing race gas but figured most people don't use it and honestly I didn't wanna deal with...

mxrider118 wrote:
Ill run it stock for now see how it works. DO you know if I could use T4 with that tune or should I stick to...
Ill run it stock for now see how it works. DO you know if I could use T4 with that tune or should I stick to pump gas 93.

Also, have you heard of the injector recall. My dealer doesnt have any issue. is it based off the vin depending on the batch? Hope you can help.
Tim would be a better one to ask about fuels. I'd just run 93.

I've heard people talk about injector problems but in the bulletin I saw from honda it didn't specifically say anything about it. Mine seems perfectly fine with what TDR has done. Out of curiosity, what's the last 4 of your vin? I think mines 0479 if I recall correctly.

Pink, I may try it and see if it makes any sort of difference, but don't feel it necessary as a "used-to-be a little quick +35 rider whose slowed down"..
2/19/2021 6:28am
Meister wrote:

mxrider118 wrote:
Ill run it stock for now see how it works. DO you know if I could use T4 with that tune or should I stick to...

Meister wrote:
Tim would be a better one to ask about fuels. I'd just run 93. I've heard people talk about injector problems but in the bulletin I...
Tim would be a better one to ask about fuels. I'd just run 93.

I've heard people talk about injector problems but in the bulletin I saw from honda it didn't specifically say anything about it. Mine seems perfectly fine with what TDR has done. Out of curiosity, what's the last 4 of your vin? I think mines 0479 if I recall correctly.

Pink, I may try it and see if it makes any sort of difference, but don't feel it necessary as a "used-to-be a little quick +35 rider whose slowed down"..
My ECU is on its way. He said because T4 is oxygenated it would run leaner and it wouldnt be able to confirm without testing dynoing with that fuel. The only reason I asked if because Ive heard people saying no remap needed with T4.

I will check the back and get back to you RE: vin.

Post a reply to: Mapping help and injector recall CRF450WE

The Latest