Deal of the day

steed 2.0
12/1/2018 9:39pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2018 10:12pm
newmann wrote:
Another thing about this bike. In decent condition and running it will always be a $1500.00 bike. Buy it, fix it up, ride it for a...
Another thing about this bike. In decent condition and running it will always be a $1500.00 bike. Buy it, fix it up, ride it for a few years, sell it for $1500.00. Hmmmm, you just had a free bike for the past few years. Yes, A FREE BIKE. What more could you ask for?

Steeds new $10,000.00 450 will eventually end up in the $1500.00 category as well at a loss of $8500.00 to a couple owners along the way.

most of those rebuild / restoration projects start way to positive... it are always little things that need to be done... compression socks don't worry it just a piston ring... till you opende de engine and all of a sudden you stumble on some hidden defects... it’s one big money pit... and most of those rebuilders are like gamblers they only talk about their winnings but rarley about their loses... If they also count the hours they work on the bikes its far from cheap.... If you are into vintage / Evo racing you have no other option than restore bikes it’s an integrated element of thise type of hobby’s...

5/6 k for a brand new or leftover YZ 125 or RMZ 250 / KX 250 is a bargain.... if you use the inflation calculator $ 1700,- in 1980 is now $ 5500,- !!!

newmann
12/2/2018 6:02am
newmann wrote:
Another thing about this bike. In decent condition and running it will always be a $1500.00 bike. Buy it, fix it up, ride it for a...
Another thing about this bike. In decent condition and running it will always be a $1500.00 bike. Buy it, fix it up, ride it for a few years, sell it for $1500.00. Hmmmm, you just had a free bike for the past few years. Yes, A FREE BIKE. What more could you ask for?

Steeds new $10,000.00 450 will eventually end up in the $1500.00 category as well at a loss of $8500.00 to a couple owners along the way.

steed 2.0 wrote:
most of those rebuild / restoration projects start way to positive... it are always little things that need to be done... compression socks don't worry it...
most of those rebuild / restoration projects start way to positive... it are always little things that need to be done... compression socks don't worry it just a piston ring... till you opende de engine and all of a sudden you stumble on some hidden defects... it’s one big money pit... and most of those rebuilders are like gamblers they only talk about their winnings but rarley about their loses... If they also count the hours they work on the bikes its far from cheap.... If you are into vintage / Evo racing you have no other option than restore bikes it’s an integrated element of thise type of hobby’s...

5/6 k for a brand new or leftover YZ 125 or RMZ 250 / KX 250 is a bargain.... if you use the inflation calculator $ 1700,- in 1980 is now $ 5500,- !!!

Once again, a great deal for someone who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty and working on a bike. I've bought quite a few from people who buy a new bike and ride it till it shits the bed. Lack of routine maintenance leaves a lot of 10 hour bikes in the back corner of a garage for years until someone with a few mechanical skills comes along and buys it for pennies on the dollar. To each their own, but you can still get into this sport on the cheap if you want it bad enough.

A leased I-phone is the easy button for the pretty little hands these days...

A dirty old dirt bike? Yuck...
steed 2.0
12/2/2018 6:33am
newmann wrote:

steed 2.0 wrote:
most of those rebuild / restoration projects start way to positive... it are always little things that need to be done... compression socks don't worry it...

newmann wrote:
Once again, a great deal for someone who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty and working on a bike. I've bought quite a few from people...
Once again, a great deal for someone who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty and working on a bike. I've bought quite a few from people who buy a new bike and ride it till it shits the bed. Lack of routine maintenance leaves a lot of 10 hour bikes in the back corner of a garage for years until someone with a few mechanical skills comes along and buys it for pennies on the dollar. To each their own, but you can still get into this sport on the cheap if you want it bad enough.

I Don't take you as the norm you have your own car repair business... your bike builds are well know around here.... My system is based on buying in with a start fee from 5/6k (one new bike) after that it only get easyer it cost you 2k a year to go racing at hobby level... if you do it with 3 friends (who are in the same situation) it cost 1k a year if that is too mush I give it up. Over here they lease 85cc for EUR 750 a year so parents don't need to buy in with a new bike... you know how kids are they didn't like go karting, BMX etc and now the latest craze is MX
BR8ES
12/2/2018 6:36am
Question: How do we get new riders into dirtbiking?

Answer: Rule of rules, if you don't have have 5k, find another hobby/interest. We don't need no stinking new riders unless they have the the 5k entry fee.

The Shop

newmann
12/2/2018 6:59am
steed 2.0 wrote:

newmann wrote:
Once again, a great deal for someone who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty and working on a bike. I've bought quite a few from people...

steed 2.0 wrote:
I Don't take you as the norm you have your own car repair business... your bike builds are well know around here.... My system is based...
I Don't take you as the norm you have your own car repair business... your bike builds are well know around here.... My system is based on buying in with a start fee from 5/6k (one new bike) after that it only get easyer it cost you 2k a year to go racing at hobby level... if you do it with 3 friends (who are in the same situation) it cost 1k a year if that is too mush I give it up. Over here they lease 85cc for EUR 750 a year so parents don't need to buy in with a new bike... you know how kids are they didn't like go karting, BMX etc and now the latest craze is MX
I was 10 years old and my first dirt bike was a 74 GT80 that came out of a house fire. It was cleaned up and running when I got it but by the time I was 12 that bike had been torn down and cleaned many times. Flats fixed with screwdrivers for tire irons, bent upper triple clamps straightened and a set or two of fresh rings all done by a kid. At 13 I was putting Terry fork kits in my 78 YZ80 and drilling and tapping fork caps for air forks.

There were machine, welding, auto and wood shop classes in junior high and high school. I was rebuilding engines and welding stuff as a teen. Used a skill saw (oh the horror!) and jigsaw at 13 to build a very ramp to break my arm on.Smile

Damn, I think I was 7 or 8 when I rebuilt my Shimano coaster brake and left my dads tools scattered in the driveway.Pinch
Timo_2824
12/2/2018 7:16am
newmann wrote:
Whatever happened to the round shouldered rims?
mikec265 wrote:
If I can remember right, I think the magazines claimed they broke easier, so maybe a 1 or 2 year run. I completely forget about them...
If I can remember right, I think the magazines claimed they broke easier, so maybe a 1 or 2 year run. I completely forget about them and didn't notice until you mentioned it.
I had them on my 04 KX250, only rims I never bent, and I had that bike for 5 years.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/2/2018 7:25am
steed 2.0 wrote:

newmann wrote:

steed 2.0 wrote:
I Don't take you as the norm you have your own car repair business... your bike builds are well know around here.... My system is based...
Ive never heard of leasing for dirt bikes, but the thought has crossed my mind , is that a new thing ? Is it only certain brands?
Seems like it would be a great way to go for someone that knows they are gonna want to get a new bike every year.
loftyair
12/2/2018 7:48am
All the bikes I have are stretched frame. It works better that way?
early
Fantasy
2231st
12/2/2018 8:24am
steed 2.0 wrote:
I think we are talking apples and oranges here.

If you want to go racing every week investing in a new bike is not a bad idea.

A person with no prior dirt bike or mechanical experience should not see a $700 bike and think that is all it will cost them, they are set up for disaster. Of course that person should probably get some time in the saddle before they plan on a whole summers worth of regular racing or again they are setting themselves up for disaster.

However, if you are looking to get her mechanically sound and slap some Pro Circuit Splitfire graphics to have a poor man's RC replica and take it out once or twice a month to a practice day, sand pit, off-road ride or the occasional race the bike could be a good jumping off point for what someone is looking to do.

To say the bike is completely useless because the frame may not be 100% straight is not fair imo.
Mx286
12/2/2018 9:32am
I agree with steed on some of these old bikes being a money pit. Yea their super cheap to start off with, but to fix one of these old bikes up right you’d be better off spending extra money and getting something newer and nicer.
vetmxr
12/2/2018 2:37pm
early wrote:
"if you can’t affort 5k for a new bike find a new hobby"

Yup, this is the attitude needed in dirtbiking Sad
Sure glad I didn't feel that way years ago, I would have missed out on an awesome sport at a great time......My first race bike was $325......and I had to make payments on that.........and it was a lot more clapped out than that thing looks......

With the right go getter, that kx has a lot of smiles left in it for sure.........Not every kid has a dad that is chomping at the bit to spend money on dirt bikes....some have to make it happen for themselves if they want to moto........

At least that's my story.......

vetmxr
12/2/2018 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2018 2:52pm
newmann wrote:

steed 2.0 wrote:
newmann wrote:
I was 10 years old and my first dirt bike was a 74 GT80 that came out of a house fire. It was cleaned up and...
I was 10 years old and my first dirt bike was a 74 GT80 that came out of a house fire. It was cleaned up and running when I got it but by the time I was 12 that bike had been torn down and cleaned many times. Flats fixed with screwdrivers for tire irons, bent upper triple clamps straightened and a set or two of fresh rings all done by a kid. At 13 I was putting Terry fork kits in my 78 YZ80 and drilling and tapping fork caps for air forks.

There were machine, welding, auto and wood shop classes in junior high and high school. I was rebuilding engines and welding stuff as a teen. Used a skill saw (oh the horror!) and jigsaw at 13 to build a very ramp to break my arm on.Smile

Damn, I think I was 7 or 8 when I rebuilt my Shimano coaster brake and left my dads tools scattered in the driveway.Pinch
I literally used our stick welder that we used on the farm to weld the footpegs back on my 84 kx 125 every few months......You gotta get good fast at stick welding if your trying to repair an extremely thin chromoly frame from the eighties.

Looking back I can't believe the things i did on that bike with the frame basically bird shitted together with deep penetrating rod......but if I didn't do stuff like that, I didn't ride. Ignorance is bliss........I'd ask my dad for advice on something and he'd say..." pay close attention to how it comes apart so you can put it back together."......that advice gave me the courage to tear into just about anything mechanical.......even to this day...

I do miss those days a little bit now.......
steed 2.0
12/2/2018 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2018 7:38pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Ive never heard of leasing for dirt bikes, but the thought has crossed my mind , is that a new thing ? Is it only certain...
Ive never heard of leasing for dirt bikes, but the thought has crossed my mind , is that a new thing ? Is it only certain brands?
Seems like it would be a great way to go for someone that knows they are gonna want to get a new bike every year.
Don’t know all the ins and outs about the 85cc but, it is an initiative from the Yamaha dealership

My system is as follow... Its based on lowest risk posible ( fiscal conservative ) The first year you have almost no maintenance (nowadays there is also some kind of warranty, its basic but better than nothing) for the second year you have 2k reserved / for parts etc ... The third year you sell your bike for 4k + 2k = new bike etc. etc...

First Year 6k.... followed by 2k a year and every two year a new bike...
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/2/2018 7:41pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Ive never heard of leasing for dirt bikes, but the thought has crossed my mind , is that a new thing ? Is it only certain...
steed 2.0 wrote:
Don’t know all the ins and outs about the 85cc but, it is an initiative from the Yamaha dealership My system is as follow... Its based...
Don’t know all the ins and outs about the 85cc but, it is an initiative from the Yamaha dealership

My system is as follow... Its based on lowest risk posible ( fiscal conservative ) The first year you have almost no maintenance (nowadays there is also some kind of warranty, its basic but better than nothing) for the second year you have 2k reserved / for parts etc ... The third year you sell your bike for 4k + 2k = new bike etc. etc...

First Year 6k.... followed by 2k a year and every two year a new bike...
Exactly i agree with your thoughts so a one year lease would be fantastic, its kinda like what a lot of the better
Riders do any way , but they have to buy there bikes sell them every year and just eat the depreciation that way ,
It seems like it may work out close to the same way but without the hastle of trying to sell it on your own , you would just give it back and walk away.
Most likely walk away with another on a lease

Post a reply to: Deal of the day

The Latest