Daytona thoughts....

3/8/2020 8:47pm
The last person I saw ride the Kawasaki like that was RV2.

Tomac was just on the gas and to hell with where he landed. He cased, came off the seat whatever... just twisted it up.

I am a Kenny fan but can tip my hat to a guy who beats the Track and bike into submission as Tomac did at Daytona.
cityjack
3/8/2020 9:05pm
First trip to Daytona. Just got back from an 8 hr drive to get back home. Worth every mile to see what those guys can do up close and personal. Like others before me, track was awesome to see and well groomed, although they did have to cut the whoops down after too much carnage in the heat races. Even got to walk the track after the race for a bit. It was almost boring to watch at times because nobody could pass. Eli brought us all to the edge of our seats and saved the night. Watching Mitch squirm and turn as he watched Garrett bring home and get his first. He was like a father who paces watching his kid race for the first time. So happy for both Mitch and Marchbanks.
What else can be said that hasn't been about the 3. Enjoy him while we have him.

Lastly, it is sooooooo nice live and being there if not for anything else other than NOT having to listen to Ralph and the English chick. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. GEEEZ it was so peaceful. Weege is so much better. I did miss Daniel's insight though.

My 2 cents
Momus
3/8/2020 10:11pm
kpiper wrote:
Eli was almost 10 seconds behind KR with 10 minutes to go. That is unreal he caught and passed him. The track sucked for racing I...
Eli was almost 10 seconds behind KR with 10 minutes to go. That is unreal he caught and passed him.

The track sucked for racing I thought. Way too hard to pass.

But Daytona is still the king.

Except for a quick fall down or if he had one more lap two years ago Tomac would have won five in a row.
TbonesPop wrote:
What I think is even more interesting in the charge Tomac put on is, Kenny's fastest lap was actually faster than Eli's fastest lap. So it...
What I think is even more interesting in the charge Tomac put on is, Kenny's fastest lap was actually faster than Eli's fastest lap. So it wasn't that Eli was just on another level faster than everyone else. Technically, Ken had the fastest lap of the evening. It was the second half charge when the track got super choppy and rough that help him make up the time, which was crazy making up 1-2 seconds a lap. His fitness must be insane. Coop tried to latch on and come with him, but he couldn't keep up.
Ken's fastest lap was his first. Track was at its best then.
ledger
3/9/2020 1:20am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2020 1:46am

The Shop

B Gotti
Fantasy
4184th
3/9/2020 1:37am
Need Gary Bailey to come back & rebuild the 1986 track next year. Daytona is the one only track where they need to do 20 laps instead of 20 mins.
CPR
3/9/2020 1:38am
kpiper wrote:
Eli was almost 10 seconds behind KR with 10 minutes to go. That is unreal he caught and passed him. The track sucked for racing I...
Eli was almost 10 seconds behind KR with 10 minutes to go. That is unreal he caught and passed him.

Except for a quick fall down or if he had one more lap two years ago Tomac would have won five in a row.
TbonesPop wrote:
What I think is even more interesting in the charge Tomac put on is, Kenny's fastest lap was actually faster than Eli's fastest lap. So it...
What I think is even more interesting in the charge Tomac put on is, Kenny's fastest lap was actually faster than Eli's fastest lap. So it wasn't that Eli was just on another level faster than everyone else. Technically, Ken had the fastest lap of the evening. It was the second half charge when the track got super choppy and rough that help him make up the time, which was crazy making up 1-2 seconds a lap. His fitness must be insane. Coop tried to latch on and come with him, but he couldn't keep up.
Momus wrote:
Yeah Momus but his 2nd fastest lap was his last.

Not sure why you got thumbs down TbonesPop because everything you said is true 👍
Momus
3/9/2020 2:18am
TbonesPop wrote:
Momus wrote:
CPR wrote:
Yeah Momus but his 2nd fastest lap was his last.

Not sure why you got thumbs down TbonesPop because everything you said is true 👍
Yes the #94 was getting flguratively towed by #3 on his last lap.

Tomax made him look silly if he could find a second after being passed.
Helda3
3/9/2020 2:38am
kpiper wrote:

TbonesPop wrote:
Momus wrote:
Exactly and Tomac's was in the 13th lap, they track didn't get much worse and it wasn't far off Ken's first lap time
peelout
3/9/2020 9:23am
really impressed with Marchbanks, he looked great from the first lap of the 250 heat race. Sexton looked pissed that he couldn't catch him and win. Garrett was doing the triple triple triple every lap and never looked like he was out of control.

also gotta do a shameless plug and pump up my boy Pierce Brown on his 6th place finish. he a bit of a rough night having that bad wreck in the Heat and having to go to the LCQ. then in the main he had a dead last place start and somehow came around in 5th, no idea what happened there as the broadcast crew is just horrible lately. he didn't quite have the pace of the top 5 but definitely showed his ability. very proud and looking forward to the rest of his season.

and how about 2 Utah boys taking 1st and 6th. hell yeah!
SethGator
3/9/2020 9:49am
peelout wrote:
really impressed with Marchbanks, he looked great from the first lap of the 250 heat race. Sexton looked pissed that he couldn't catch him and win...
really impressed with Marchbanks, he looked great from the first lap of the 250 heat race. Sexton looked pissed that he couldn't catch him and win. Garrett was doing the triple triple triple every lap and never looked like he was out of control.

also gotta do a shameless plug and pump up my boy Pierce Brown on his 6th place finish. he a bit of a rough night having that bad wreck in the Heat and having to go to the LCQ. then in the main he had a dead last place start and somehow came around in 5th, no idea what happened there as the broadcast crew is just horrible lately. he didn't quite have the pace of the top 5 but definitely showed his ability. very proud and looking forward to the rest of his season.

I think he was able to sneak around the McElrath/Smith pile up at the end of the sand section and gain a bunch of positions.
scootch
3/9/2020 10:26am
peelout wrote:
really impressed with Marchbanks, he looked great from the first lap of the 250 heat race. Sexton looked pissed that he couldn't catch him and win...

I was really surprised none of the 450 guys were doing that 3-3-3 combo. If Roczen was doing it I bet he wouldn’t have been caught
3/9/2020 10:53am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2020 10:55am
2019 track was awesome; big rhythm lanes, jumping options, things where the elite guys could really shine or use to their advantage. Track this year had some positives; split lane worked, off camber section created options, one long rhythm lane coming into the tunnel jump. Negatives were all the bottle neck corners; maybe a little too much sand, and the long left hander at the final corner where very few passes were made given every guy could easily go wide open coming into the corner and maintain their gap until later in the straight away with the jump into the rollers prior to the finish line.

Was fun to watch in person all the little mistakes riders would make in the rough sand and braking bumps. But, almost wish they brought the 2019 design back. It's a tough deal to manage; go old school and hear the track is technically "too easy" or go modern and make it more of a gnarly supercross track and then hear "it's not like it used to be."

For me, I'll keep attending, pay the $15 to camp for the night and bring our own beverages in to enjoy it and then suffer the next day at the amateur round.
ATKpilot99
3/9/2020 10:53am
If Herlings and Gajser were in that race the Tomac Roczen battle would've been for 3rd. Evil
gregyou
3/10/2020 3:56am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
If Herlings and Gajser were in that race the Tomac Roczen battle would've been for 3rd. Evil
Like Tim at monster cup with half the top guys out
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
3/10/2020 4:24am
I rewatched the 2000 Daytona Supercross. man that track was awesome. Retro, jumpy, really notchy transitions, peaky, a couple of big sand corners, rough.

This years track had kinda shitty jumps, although they added quite a few more jumps compared to the track map, lots of 1 line slow S bands and really nothing interesting.

Watch the 2000 track it’s incredible
rallendude
3/10/2020 6:52am
Watching on TV I was sure Webb was going to catch Roczen, put him between himself and Tomac and make it harder for Tomac to catch him. When Tomac got close, Webb changed all the line he had that were working for him and subsequently couldn't keep up with Tomac. Maybe that was the way it was supposed to be but I still think if Webb had stuck to his lines he could have at least gotten a tow from Tomac right past Roczen as well.

I enjoyed the race, all except the two 250 heats where the carnage in the whoops was out of hand.
Crush
3/10/2020 4:15pm
Landshark wrote:
Plessinger looks like he rides for Buffalo Skins. His bars and set up look AKWARD!!!
Slater skins. I noticed his setup looks goofy, but he looked buttery smooth and like a completely different guy. Whatever they figured out last week seems...
Slater skins. I noticed his setup looks goofy, but he looked buttery smooth and like a completely different guy. Whatever they figured out last week seems to have made a huge difference.
I mean it's not easy looking cool on a bike when you're tall...

BUT – AP has been looking way better.

Interesting what Yamaha does next year. Assume they resign Bam.

Sophomore going 3rd year who looks to be turning it around, was a national and sx lites champ AND maybe x-factor, a taller rider... for a bike that taller riders have typically done better on vs little guys.

OR Dylan, likely national and sx lites champ, and not the biggest dude.

CalRMX
3/11/2020 9:58am
I listened to the Pulp podcast about Daytona, after 15 minutes I had to stop it.

Matthes has do his f'ing "is it time to start a conversation about Daytona?"

MATTHES STFU, SWEET BABY JESUS YOU GO ON A BIT ON SOME SUBJECTS. I can't have been the only one who tuned out. The rEst of the podcast might have been interesting, but ffs shut the fuck up!
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
3/11/2020 7:57pm
With how much track grooming They did this year I wouldn’t be surprised if next years track Was incorporated into the nascar loop

Post a reply to: Daytona thoughts....

The Latest