Daytona SX 2020 Review, had to turn it off

gregyou
3/9/2020 2:04pm
philG wrote:
Just cos its historic, shouldnt stop it from getting called out for being shit. And its been shit a lot just lately
RichieW13 wrote:
I don't understand why Daytona is considered to be such a great race. It's my least favorite race of the year. (I've never been to the...
I don't understand why Daytona is considered to be such a great race. It's my least favorite race of the year. (I've never been to the track, so maybe it's different if you are there.) But the camera angles are always weird. They don't get the good spider camera angles. I don't like that it is missing all the same hoopla around it (fireworks, Monster girls, etc.) as every other round of the series.

If Daytona is such a great race, then why does the TV broadcast have to keep reminding us constantly how great it is? Shouldn't the greatness speak for itself?

Why do they keep telling us how many wins everybody has at Daytona, but they rarely do that for any other venue/city?
I’m pretty sure if a rider has won that many consecutive times at the same track they would be harping on about
3/9/2020 2:26pm
Steve is Steve, but I was more disappointed in JT not knowing Daytona used to have 40 rider main events!
Lightning78
3/9/2020 2:38pm
Ray_MXS wrote:
Matthes thrives on over-the-top. I usually enjoy it but I agree this was one, or even two steps too far. It was very annoying to listen...
Matthes thrives on over-the-top. I usually enjoy it but I agree this was one, or even two steps too far. It was very annoying to listen to it for so long. But to unsubscribe because of it? Come on man.
I thought the track was shit as well it reminded me of a sandy monster cup with a metric shit ton of garbage whoops but I agree, Matthes droning on about the track was a bit too long but unsubscribe? That's a no for me, however you can be 110% sure he will be rehashing his Daytona rant on tonight's show for sure.

The Shop

TXDirt
3/9/2020 2:48pm
Daytona has always been more about the rider vs the track. In fact, that’s what motorcycle racing truly is. That’s what makes it so much different and so much better then other individual sports.

There wasn’t a lot of passing, not because the track was hard to pass on, but because the track was hard to navigate. Eli had no problems passing anyone.

This is what makes Daytona great as a SX track.

The track was awesome and there were plenty of lines and choices. It was a gnarly track.
yota
3/9/2020 3:23pm
philG wrote:
Just cos its historic, shouldnt stop it from getting called out for being shit. And its been shit a lot just lately
RichieW13 wrote:
I don't understand why Daytona is considered to be such a great race. It's my least favorite race of the year. (I've never been to the...
I don't understand why Daytona is considered to be such a great race. It's my least favorite race of the year. (I've never been to the track, so maybe it's different if you are there.) But the camera angles are always weird. They don't get the good spider camera angles. I don't like that it is missing all the same hoopla around it (fireworks, Monster girls, etc.) as every other round of the series.

If Daytona is such a great race, then why does the TV broadcast have to keep reminding us constantly how great it is? Shouldn't the greatness speak for itself?

Why do they keep telling us how many wins everybody has at Daytona, but they rarely do that for any other venue/city?
there were lots of monster girls at the race.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
242nd
3/9/2020 4:07pm
Beginning sounds fun, how far do I need to skip into it to get to actually race review?
zehn
3/9/2020 4:34pm
I thought the track was shit as well it reminded me of a sandy monster cup with a metric shit ton of garbage whoops but I...
I thought the track was shit as well it reminded me of a sandy monster cup with a metric shit ton of garbage whoops but I agree, Matthes droning on about the track was a bit too long but unsubscribe? That's a no for me, however you can be 110% sure he will be rehashing his Daytona rant on tonight's show for sure.
Where were these garbage whoops you speak ot
brlatm
3/9/2020 5:17pm
Or, skip ahead
Or skip his Schtick all together going on about Tim Ferry, Van Halen, and Summercross, his shit got old, he is rude to his fan base and he only cares about his bottom line? When is the last time he had Tomac, Dungey, or Anderson on? Guess what, they aren't coming on anymore. Don't worry Steve, I'll wait for you to bitch to GuyBro and have this thread deleted as well, bro. Stay core man.
Red Crawford
3/9/2020 6:03pm
Have ya ever known a guy who was a really solid dude----and then he became successful and forgot where his path originated? People handle success differently. Best advice I ever got was,"be careful who's hand you step on as you ascend the ladder----because you will have to come back down someday..."
jeffchappell
3/9/2020 6:03pm
It’s not hard to see why a lot of the racers don’t talk to him. He’s an idiot.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
3/9/2020 6:06pm
Or, skip ahead
brlatm wrote:
Or skip his Schtick all together going on about Tim Ferry, Van Halen, and Summercross, his shit got old, he is rude to his fan base...
Or skip his Schtick all together going on about Tim Ferry, Van Halen, and Summercross, his shit got old, he is rude to his fan base and he only cares about his bottom line? When is the last time he had Tomac, Dungey, or Anderson on? Guess what, they aren't coming on anymore. Don't worry Steve, I'll wait for you to bitch to GuyBro and have this thread deleted as well, bro. Stay core man.
Soo . . . . you're saying his schtick isn't fresh? #Wellthankgoodnesssomeoneisworriedaboutthat #life
dkg
3/9/2020 6:18pm
brlatm wrote:
Or skip his Schtick all together going on about Tim Ferry, Van Halen, and Summercross, his shit got old, he is rude to his fan base...
Tomac is on tonight. You going to listen?
Zacka 161
Fantasy
1856th
3/9/2020 7:26pm
Or, skip ahead
brlatm wrote:
This post aged badly...

No Dungey or Anderson but literally everyone else... and couple this with the weekly post interviews and theres probably minimum 10-15 pro riders on Pulp network - Every. Single. Week.
JM485
3/9/2020 7:34pm
philG wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:

Every single thing you just listed is exactly why this is my favorite race of the year. No gimmicky camera angles, no stupid ass green claw plastered all over everything either sentient or otherwise, and a track that is unique to any other race both outdoors and in.
KDXGarage
3/10/2020 3:36am
peelout wrote:
just pissed his car got stuck in the parking lot [img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2593/6580/files/2016__10_7-Biltwell-2017-Honda-Ridgeline-Baja-Trip-Automobile-Magazine_07.jpg[/img]
just pissed his car got stuck in the parking lot

That is one tricked out Honda Odyssey!
Timo_2824
3/10/2020 5:24am
At the end of the pod he did say the verdict was Daytona was awesome... The helicopter part had me laugh more than I should have, how awesome would it be to get to land right on the Daytona grass graphic!
teamddr
3/10/2020 5:41am
Matthes is terrible
Anti - euro and disses MXGP and mxon but then attends them
I haven’t listened to him in months
Would watch the weedge stuff on YouTube. I would think there is a niche in the USA for a better podcast host that all top competitors would respect enough to go on the show
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
3/10/2020 9:46am
Or, skip ahead
brlatm wrote:
Dungey was on in December.
djc
3/10/2020 9:50am
I listened last night.i do not think it was as bad as everyone is making it sound. I do think Steve is crazy for wanting Daytona gone though.
SPODEBOY
3/10/2020 10:12am

Steve has the bull by the horns. He has built himself a cash cow empire. From where I sit it seems to me that he has a case of burn out. And it seeps out at times. If I were him I would really try to play this thing to the bus stop. It is not often you can make a living and be part of something you love.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
3/10/2020 10:17am
I get why people are annoyed but I didn't think it was un-listenable. The combo of Steve/JT/Weege is overall REALLY good. I feel like Weege adds to anything and the ying/yang of JT & Steve also helps things not boil over into ridiculous crap.
downard254
3/10/2020 10:28am
I actually liked the track, at least this year vs the few previous years. The 360 first turn would have been a bit better had it been stretched out a bit more. Man, the guys on the outside gate had zero chance of a start. Distance was just too short and the angle was off a tad. Two things I liked was the split late (very tight but appeared to be equal in time between the two, and the bowl turn after the whoops. That bowl turn was a classic SX turn with no or little Ritter allowing full use of the turn. Sweep it, run in wide and square it, enter late and square it, hit the brakes and back the rear in. Gave multiple options for passing but sadly I didn’t see as much passing there as I’d hoped. I think Dayton used to represent a unique SX challenge in the middle of the SX season with its long lap times and the increasingly roughening conditions. That track used to be brutal as hell by the end of the main and (20) 1-1/2 minute laps made an Ironman event out of it. Yup, miss the good old days.
Jesse318NW
3/10/2020 11:21am
I am a huge pulp fan but Steve missed the boat on this one. I think he was overplaying his position and it backfired.

The old Daytona format was nostalgic but it was terrible. It was hot, dusty, tons of lappers and a survival race where even podium guys were cruising at the end. It was honestly some of the most boring racing I can remember. If they went back to this all stakeholders will complain (riders will be furious, TV would suck, fans wouldn't show up, etc). Steve's notion the old format was so great is revisionist history.

3/10/2020 11:27am
teamddr wrote:
Matthes is terrible Anti - euro and disses MXGP and mxon but then attends them I haven’t listened to him in months Would watch the weedge...
Matthes is terrible
Anti - euro and disses MXGP and mxon but then attends them
I haven’t listened to him in months
Would watch the weedge stuff on YouTube. I would think there is a niche in the USA for a better podcast host that all top competitors would respect enough to go on the show
That kind of contradicts itself, no? I mean how can one be anti MXGP while attending an MXGP event? Overly critical sure, but saying he is anti MXGP as if he has something against them just shows who’s actually biased in this situation in my opinion.
CalRMX
3/12/2020 12:10am
I knew it was going to be $hit when Matthes starts of with the

"do we need to start a conversation about Daytona?"

No we don't! STFU and get on with the show and review the races.
3/12/2020 12:33am
The racing was good, the track was good. Get over it Steve.
fanger
3/12/2020 12:45am
I don't agree with his opinion on daytona, but I found it interesting and had a laugh two along the way. It did get tiresome, but hey it fills in the day so who cares.
BigBoreFan58
3/12/2020 12:53am
Remember, Matthes watched Daytona on TV, and it was a little boring on TV. It had a dead feel to it. Even Ralph wasn't his usual loud self. It just had a different vibe IMO.
3/12/2020 4:20am
Oh go easy on Steve. He was just expressing his opinion and that’s what his show is about, he has that right. He just felt the early 2000’s were better and I agree. I personally like it when they start hammering each other because it’s all in good jest. His shows are still very good, even though they have been cutting the 250s a little short lately.

I personally think 4 strokes changing racing completely and NOT for the better. It’s different.
I was expecting this thread to whine they didn’t mention Stew.. but I will say he had Eli Tomac on yesterday and that was awesome. I really liked hearing from Eli, he is so likable and pretty cool. He was very easy going about Barcia which shows he is a pretty kind hearted guy too

Post a reply to: Daytona SX 2020 Review, had to turn it off

The Latest