Daytona SX 2020 Review, had to turn it off

Edited Date/Time 3/12/2020 4:20am
I always look forward to listening to JT$, Steve, and Weege discuss the race on Monday mornings. I think this was the first show I had to turn off only a few minutes in due to Steve's whining. I couldn't take it.
|
Bramlett321
3/9/2020 5:31am
Very painful for me to agree with you on this one as I'm a die hard pulp idiot. But damn that ruined the show for sure. I get it when he rants and 99% of the time he's pretty spot on but he shit the bed on this one. Just love Daytona for the nostalgia and what it represents in the moto world.
philG
3/9/2020 5:33am
Just cos its historic, shouldnt stop it from getting called out for being shit. And its been shit a lot just lately
Mavetism
3/9/2020 5:38am
What kind of review btw, is that a pulpmx thing or?

The Shop

3/9/2020 5:38am
always have found him extremely annoying whether hes right or not. he tries to be the stephen a/skip bayless controversial loud mouth guy. i listen to weege and thats about it
redslush
3/9/2020 5:55am
I always look forward to listening to JT$, Steve, and Weege discuss the race on Monday mornings. I think this was the first show I had...
I always look forward to listening to JT$, Steve, and Weege discuss the race on Monday mornings. I think this was the first show I had to turn off only a few minutes in due to Steve's whining. I couldn't take it.
Agreed. It was a rough listen and I ended up turning it off as well. Most of the time I enjoy the rants but this one had no valid points or arguments behind it. I made it 20 minutes in and cut off when Weege seemed pretty annoyed at the complaining about will call.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/9/2020 6:25am
Yeah Steve sounded like a complete moron.
gregyou
3/9/2020 6:31am
They barely reviewed the race. Was more complaining.
I don’t get it, Daytona is awesome to break the season up it’s always one I lol forward to watching
brlatm
3/9/2020 6:35am
I listened to just about every Pulp/Race Review since the #70ish show, I deleted all his podcasts and unsubscribed 2 weeks ago, he just got to be whiny and bitchy. Plus the constant hanging up on callers and being rude and interrupting people.
3/9/2020 6:53am
It was pretty obvious that Steve's rant was shtick, to a certain degree.. Some of those horse trail single-track turns and the 360* first turn made it look like an amateur fair race IMO
Springcreek
3/9/2020 7:03am
If you can build a real Supercross track in an empty football/baseball stadium why can't you do it anywhere? I get the limitations in the tri-oval area but why not use the pavement areas? and bring in the right kind of dirt? I love outdoor motocross but you should build a real Supercross track if it is part of the Supercross series.
3/9/2020 7:10am
Daytona is an awesome race. I did not care for the 360. They took it out for the amateurs.

The whoops were tough. Big and tall. But then after the two 250 heats the dozen knocked them down and rolled them several times. After that they were no existent. They are professionals and that was a separator. The split lane turn is stil on the track for amateurs. It is super tight and a freaking joke. I cant imagine how beat up it was Saturday night.

Years ago they would put more bikes on the line for Daytona. The racing got so spread out, it woukd be awesome if they went to allowing like 30 bikes to qualify for the Daytona Mains.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/9/2020 7:30am
Less grooming and one more rhythm lane the track would have been fine for racing
slowgti
3/9/2020 8:31am
It sounded like weege and jt$ we're tired of listening to Steve drone on too. It might be time Steve takes a step back and remember why he got so popular.
hamncheeze
3/9/2020 9:16am
Listens to free content - does not like free content - runs to Vital to bitch about it.

Seriously, just move on if you're unhappy.
zippytech
3/9/2020 9:47am
hamncheeze wrote:
Listens to free content - does not like free content - runs to Vital to bitch about it.

Cannot do that. gots to bitch about everythings.
peelout
3/9/2020 10:14am
just pissed his car got stuck in the parking lot

dimetime
3/9/2020 10:31am
hamncheeze wrote:

That's exactly what a forum is for, so l don't get your point. Free content is totslly irrelevant.

And weirdly instead of reading his comment and moving on, you felt the need to make a dumb comment about it, therefore making you just like the guy you complained about.

And yeah, the Pulp show has become unlistenable.
3/9/2020 10:35am
This is a yearly thing with Matthes and Daytona. Where have you guys been?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
3/9/2020 10:35am
philG wrote:
Just cos its historic, shouldnt stop it from getting called out for being shit. And its been shit a lot just lately
I don't understand why Daytona is considered to be such a great race. It's my least favorite race of the year. (I've never been to the track, so maybe it's different if you are there.) But the camera angles are always weird. They don't get the good spider camera angles. I don't like that it is missing all the same hoopla around it (fireworks, Monster girls, etc.) as every other round of the series.

If Daytona is such a great race, then why does the TV broadcast have to keep reminding us constantly how great it is? Shouldn't the greatness speak for itself?

Why do they keep telling us how many wins everybody has at Daytona, but they rarely do that for any other venue/city?
3/9/2020 11:11am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2020 11:11am
hamncheeze wrote:

I'm just curious if others feel the same way. It looks like the majority do.

I will still listen next week. Things will probably be back to normal.

Yes, I remember him doing this before, but it was worse this time.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
3/9/2020 11:18am
It was pretty obvious that Steve's rant was shtick, to a certain degree.. Some of those horse trail single-track turns and the 360* first turn made...
It was pretty obvious that Steve's rant was shtick, to a certain degree.. Some of those horse trail single-track turns and the 360* first turn made it look like an amateur fair race IMO
I disagree on this one, that it wasn't really shtick. Seems like he really feels this harsh on the race.

Also his inability to digest JT's and Weege's opinion is where it really got painful. Its like Steve didn't even hear or care about their viewpoint and moved on to his own rant again. I get he feels strongly on his opinion but at least try to see it from another angle.

Typically it seems like he has saved his shtick for the Monday night show and the race review and Thursday moto show were held to a slightly higher standard. However they are all his shows, and they are free to me, so yeah if he wants to run them like this I will just move on.
aeffertz
3/9/2020 11:24am
I thought it was funny and the push back from JT and Weege was great.
FuzzyLogic
3/9/2020 11:31am
I have no problems with Steve not liking it and some of his reasons may have validity...but why did it have to take 15-20 minutes of the review show to cover the dislike.

I get tired of hearing how "bad" these tracks are and how they dont allow for passing. I get it, if there are a bunch of 90 degree turns, its going to be tough. but this had 180's, long straight stretches, and a couple sets of whoops.
slowgti
3/9/2020 11:54am
I think we all like Steve's content. I'm not bitching about it, I'm trying to provide constructive criticism to keep the show popular and profitable.
Ray_MXS
3/9/2020 11:55am
Matthes thrives on over-the-top. I usually enjoy it but I agree this was one, or even two steps too far. It was very annoying to listen to it for so long. But to unsubscribe because of it? Come on man.
AH387
3/9/2020 12:11pm
I can understand not being blown away by the track design and whatnot, but I don't understand his point. Talking like maybe it's time to pull the plug on Daytona SX or whatever. And put what in it's place?...another cookie-cutter track somewhere on a stadium floor? I mean, the tracks are cool for what they are but you can only do so much on the floor of a football stadium. If anything, Daytona at least has a different vibe and offers something out of the ordinary. I don't see what the big deal is.
BAD10
3/9/2020 1:03pm
I always look forward to listening to JT$, Steve, and Weege discuss the race on Monday mornings. I think this was the first show I had...
I listen to Pulp and the Review podcasts "despite" Steve, because I am just that big of a fan of the sport. I've tried my hardest to "like" Matthes but it's moments like his bitching about Daytona when he goes off the rails just ruins it for me. It was asinine to me for him to suggest that Daytona go away....... what kind of alternate reality is he in? Like most of you mentioned, I had to turn off the review as well. It was just too much and not enjoyable. Glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Post a reply to: Daytona SX 2020 Review, had to turn it off

The Latest