Daytona Reputation

ab
3/13/2018 8:33pm
Let me just add that’s the geico camping gets like b lot from red bud not kidding.
TXDirt
3/13/2018 8:36pm
Daytona is awesome because it’s a different track compared to the other 15 cookie cutter rounds of Deathcross we get. How is that hard to understand?

Kinda shocked we are even discussing this. But maybe I’m not.
3/13/2018 8:42pm
Lots of almost correct history about Daytona in this thread.

Here's the real story.

1971 - First race at Daytona. Track was designed by Gary Bailey and was actually on the infield behind pit road, not in today's location. This race was part of the Winter AMA series that was held in starting in January of each year.

1972 - Another Winter AMA series race and the track moved to the tri-oval grass and retained some infield sections as well.

- Daytona became part of the AMA Motocross Series for this year only.

1974 - Daytona was the first race of 3 (Houston Astrodome and LA Coliseum were the others) in what was called the "Yamaha Super Series" There was a 250 and 500 class in 1974 only. This series was the impetus for the Supercross series.

- The AMA Supercross series began with Jimmy Ellis winning the inaugural Daytona Supercross on his 250 Can-Am.

Gary Bailey continued to design the Daytona layout into the early 2000's when design chores went to RC. At one point the layout used both the tri-oval area that is used today and went across pit road and into the infield so the track was much longer and lap times were in the normal outdoor 2 minute range.
Beeby
3/13/2018 8:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2018 8:51pm
Joe512 wrote:
Those 5 don't mean as much to me just like Daytona doesn't mean much to you. Guess it's all relative to what your familiar with. I...
Those 5 don't mean as much to me just like Daytona doesn't mean much to you. Guess it's all relative to what your familiar with. I remember growing up what a big deal the bike week events were as well as being a NASCAR fan so I get it's appeal/history there as well. In all fairness you can name off a bunch of places in the world that may be better in one way or another, but Supercross is an American based series so therefore yes the most famous piece of American Motorsport history is going to be held in higher regards. Most American fans have no idea about any of those tracks you posted.
My point (which perhaps got lost) is the claim they make isn’t to be america famous but world famous. It is well known around the world but “THE world centre of racing”?

I guess it’s the same as “The World Series”. If we don’t look outside America we will only find the worlds best locations in America.

Either way, it’s still a great stop on the supercross tour and this weekend was no exception.

The Shop

Question
3/14/2018 2:16am
In my mind, it is kind of having a MXGP at and the same days of the 24 hours of Le Mans (or possibily the F1 GP of Monaco, Spa, Imola or Silverstone). That motorsport festival combo makes the venue the most historical of all.

First beach race in 1936:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqk6p9mF2SE
motomike137
3/14/2018 4:08am
Beeby wrote:
Based on what? By 'world' do you mean America? It opened in 1959 and hosts (according to Wikipedia) NASCAR, ARCA, AMA Superbike, USCC, SCCA, and Motocross...
Based on what? By 'world' do you mean America?

It opened in 1959 and hosts (according to Wikipedia) NASCAR, ARCA, AMA Superbike, USCC, SCCA, and Motocross. Capacity 101,000

Lets compare to the quick top 5 I just got from the internet of other notable places:

The Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans (also known as Circuit de la Sarthe) first opened 1923, hosts 24 Hours of Le Mans, capacity 263,500

Nurburging Nordschleife - opened 1927, hosts basically every distance or endurance circuit event you can think of, plus tens of thousands of amateur track day enthusiasts , 150,000 capacity

Circuit de Monaco - Opened 1929 , Hosts F1, F1, Formula E, Historic Grand Prix, capacity 37,000

Autodromo Nazionale Monza, 1922, F1, Le Mans Series, National and World Motorcycles, World Touring Car, World Superbike, capacity 113,000

Silverstone, 1948, F1, MotoGP, World Endurance, World Rallycross, World Superbike, Euro Le Mans, F2, F3000, Touring Car, Silverstone Classic, Capacity 150,000

Thats before we consider: Spa-Francorchamps, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Laguna Seca or the Isle of Man.

I just don't think Daytona is on the same page, but that is just me.
I agree that all of those tracks are great "layouts" with plenty of history. We have one tucked away here in Wisconsin that is the equal to any road racing circuit in the world known as Road America. You seem to have a real bias toward traditional road circuits and rightfully so in certain context. Also just so you have it straight Daytona is known as "The World Center of Speed". Go back and take a long look at all the motorsports that have happened on the beach and at the speedway and you might start to understand why it is a revered location.

motomike137
3/14/2018 4:11am
Joe512 wrote:
Those 5 don't mean as much to me just like Daytona doesn't mean much to you. Guess it's all relative to what your familiar with. I...
Those 5 don't mean as much to me just like Daytona doesn't mean much to you. Guess it's all relative to what your familiar with. I remember growing up what a big deal the bike week events were as well as being a NASCAR fan so I get it's appeal/history there as well. In all fairness you can name off a bunch of places in the world that may be better in one way or another, but Supercross is an American based series so therefore yes the most famous piece of American Motorsport history is going to be held in higher regards. Most American fans have no idea about any of those tracks you posted.
Beeby wrote:
My point (which perhaps got lost) is the claim they make isn’t to be america famous but world famous. It is well known around the world...
My point (which perhaps got lost) is the claim they make isn’t to be america famous but world famous. It is well known around the world but “THE world centre of racing”?

I guess it’s the same as “The World Series”. If we don’t look outside America we will only find the worlds best locations in America.

Either way, it’s still a great stop on the supercross tour and this weekend was no exception.
Daytona not "world famous"? Lol. You might want to talk to all the international drivers who regard a Daytona Rolex as one of their prized possessions.
St Ann More
3/14/2018 5:38am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 6:05am
Beeby wrote:
I think its big as far as supercross heritage. I think they go over the top with the claims from a motorsport point of view though...
I think its big as far as supercross heritage. I think they go over the top with the claims from a motorsport point of view though. This whole 'world centre of racing' thing is a bit daft. Ask anyone with global knowledge of motorsports to give you their top 5 motorsport locations and I doubt Daytona gets a look in.

I think its bigger here in the US for those that follow oval style racing.

From a supercross point of view I think it produces a great track and always seems to throw up some great racing. I LOVE the fast sections with the ATV camera showing riders going head to head.
jeffro503 wrote:
I think you are incorrect on that. Daytona IS a world renown track. Especially for onroad stuff. You have the outer loop for Nascar and indy...
I think you are incorrect on that. Daytona IS a world renown track. Especially for onroad stuff. You have the outer loop for Nascar and indy , but also the inner / outer loop combined for GT cars and bikes. The only other track for onroad that might rival it here in the states is probably COTA. But even there , COTA doesn't have the versatility that Daytona has. And COTA is used by Formula 1. So that should tell you something.

The Daytona SX is a one of a kind , mainly because it is held there.....at Daytona. And with the track usually being a SX / MX hybrid type track , it is very special indeed.
Motorsport fans outside of North America are far more familiar with COTA and Laguna Seca than Daytona!

Whilst Daytona might be world renowned, none of the sports held there hold a candle to that of Formula 1 and MotoGP to most fans outside of the USA.

I get that in America it's a big deal. Outside of that though, whilst you'll have exceptions, it's mostly meh who cares! As a fan of SX, I dig the place. I've literally no interest in anything else that's held there though.

mxtech1
3/14/2018 5:44am
Being from the MidWest, I always have sentiment for Daytona because it meant riding season (decent weather) was just around the corner for us. Plus you have bike week, flat track racing, and of course the 500. It's just something I always looked forward to coming out of every winter.
motomike137
3/14/2018 6:16am
Motorsport fans outside of North America are far more familiar with COTA and Laguna Seca than Daytona! Whilst Daytona might be world renowned, none of the...
Motorsport fans outside of North America are far more familiar with COTA and Laguna Seca than Daytona!

Whilst Daytona might be world renowned, none of the sports held there hold a candle to that of Formula 1 and MotoGP to most fans outside of the USA.

I get that in America it's a big deal. Outside of that though, whilst you'll have exceptions, it's mostly meh who cares! As a fan of SX, I dig the place. I've literally no interest in anything else that's held there though.

None of the racing at Daytona holds a candle to Formula 1 or Moto GP? Sad that you have such a limited point of view but I forget that being from GBR makes you an expert on all things worldly Sideways
Beeby
3/14/2018 6:19am
Daytona not "world famous"? Lol. You might want to talk to all the international drivers who regard a Daytona Rolex as one of their prized possessions.
As a motorsports enthusiast I cannot judge prestige of a circuit by popularity or rareity of a watch, I’m sorry. I maintain, Daytona is a big thing here in the US, worldwide it doesn’t compare to other notable venues.

We all have our opinions, I respect yours.
BobbyM
3/14/2018 6:30am
Is this a joke... you really don't know?
IT'S DAYFUCKINGTONA FOR KEERIST SAKES.
Ted722
3/14/2018 6:54am
Here's my first Daytona memory. Was picking up an '83 CR250 and the shop owner says, "Honda's are the best. Bob Hannah's killin' it this year, he just won Daytona." Tying the greatness of Bob Hannah and the RC250 to my production MXer. I was 15. I too went out and thought I could be Bob Hannah!

Went in 2001 and enjoyed the heck out of it. The speedway is enormous. Bike Week was a blast. Enjoyed dirt track, the SX, the 200. Great experience.
Joe512
3/14/2018 7:05am
Joe512 wrote:
Beeby wrote:
My point (which perhaps got lost) is the claim they make isn’t to be america famous but world famous. It is well known around the world...

I understand where your coming from. I've also seen hot dog stands that claim the world's greatest hot dog but I highly doubt they tried every hot dog in the world, it's just marketing titles. However hosting a Daytona 500, Rolex 24, Daytona 200, and a Supercross race is a pretty good resume regardless of where you feel it ranks in the world.
3/14/2018 10:14pm
lumpy790 wrote:
I think the 1st Daytona MX was a couple years before the 1st Supercross Super Bowl in Cal. It is the only Supercross race that AMA/Feld...
I think the 1st Daytona MX was a couple years before the 1st Supercross Super Bowl in Cal.

It is the only Supercross race that AMA/Feld are not putting on.

IMO I like the SX Alpinestars Medical crew better than the Daytona Speedway medical crew.
FastEddy wrote:
Yep it was Trans-AMA race the first year in 71. Then the 2nd & 3rd year it was an AMA MX national. 74 was the first...
Yep it was Trans-AMA race the first year in 71.
Then the 2nd & 3rd year it was an AMA MX national.
74 was the first year of the actual SX.
i come to this site for people like you guys

thanks
ledger
3/14/2018 11:43pm
Ted722 wrote:
Newly launched RacerX Podcast Network, Davey Coombs talks Daytona SX history.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-racer-x-podcast-network/id13577…

OR

Go straight to the website http://racerx.libsyn.com/
That's a lot of great info, and to hear DeCoster won the first Supercross is impressive, then again, everything The Man did was impressive. Thanks ted.
3/14/2018 11:52pm
500guy wrote:
You can never truly appreciate Daytona until you have been there, I never really got it, then I went and now I get it.
Same with the Daytona 500.

That facility is freakin awesome. And you feel like you’re at a local dirt oval track. Coolers allowed. The concession stand is simple. Just is an awesome place.

Post a reply to: Daytona Reputation

The Latest