Daytona Amateur SX

flarider
Edited Date/Time 3/11/2022 7:15am
It rained heavy AF last night

We had like 3" overnight, they had 5" at Disney

About 60 miles south is an "atmospheric river" at the space center

Might be a shit day if that moves. The atmosphere is super unstable this week, like it's summer

FYI - the semi circle yellow block is a an FAA no fly zone for rocket launches
|
neysbo
3/8/2022 4:07am
All the bikes ran yesterday , today is Quads .
flarider
3/8/2022 4:09am
I thought there was some vintage too?

Oh well....Bike Week may be wet today!

Might sloppy up the coleslaw wrestling a little bit
flarider
3/8/2022 5:47am
MX Culture wrote:
Vintage bikes today and quads.
Thanks, Dave

I could hear the Nascar guys but I can't hear the MX guys from my house.

See if I can hear the RR later this week.

Have fun!

The Shop

PN27416
3/9/2022 2:24pm
Tuesday vintage and quads. It was a mess from Monday nights rain. Just started to try out when 20 minutes of more rain around noon mucked it up again. At least one section of the track got re-routed.
JTM5427
3/9/2022 7:23pm
It got pretty sloppy unfortunately. Lots of quads and vintage bikes hydrolocked or got stuck in the mud.

Electro21
Fantasy
79th
3/9/2022 8:31pm
I wish Daytona was a little later! Headed to Daytona in April for a few days for a vacation and Clearwater to visit the girlfriends parents. At least we are catching the Atlanta SX on the way home. I've always wanted to attend the Daytona SX.
lwtracer
Fantasy
391st
3/10/2022 12:47pm
Does anyone know some photographers that were there on Sunday and Monday?
flarider
3/10/2022 12:59pm
Radmx.com was there shooting
Meister
3/10/2022 3:26pm
Couldn't have asked for better weather Sunday and Monday! Felt bad for the Tuesday guys!

flarider
3/10/2022 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2022 3:32pm
Poor road race dudes got hit with a surprise shower today

lwtracer
Fantasy
391st
3/10/2022 4:45pm
I race in the MotoAmerica Twins Cup class and this is one of the reason's I skipped this weekend. Daytona is also insanely hard on equipment.
JL3
3/10/2022 5:16pm
Meister good job in the main, I met you in staging for the heat race...bad starts and chaos i could only muster a 12th in the main, but had a blast!

JL3
3/10/2022 5:18pm

Undersprung
3/10/2022 5:56pm
lwtracer wrote:
I race in the MotoAmerica Twins Cup class and this is one of the reason's I skipped this weekend. Daytona is also insanely hard on equipment.
As someone who knows nothing about road racing; why is that?
Meister
3/10/2022 6:16pm
Thanks man! Nice meeting you! 12th is nothing to shake a stick at either! I just got a good start! Lol
flarider
3/10/2022 6:25pm
lwtracer wrote:
I don't RR, but I have helped a lot, and that place trashes bikes.

The speeds and pinned RPM wears a motor out by the end, and then it's time for a full rebuild, and you just did one before Daytona to make sure nothing broke at 120+

Track eats tires and chain and more

This is what I've been told
jaredl3
3/10/2022 6:38pm
Yeah you ripped the start! I had a greasy gate and as you can see got smoked!!! I haven't even tried different map and tc buttons. Got stuck one time in splitlane on another rider, and rode it in. Heat race was way outside in no man's land and got pushed off track at start then got bent front rotor in sand corner crash, fun mayhem
Meister
3/10/2022 6:50pm
Ha, I know the feeling. 26th gate pick for heat. I went for it anyway and got booted off the track. Slid my ass onto the nascar track and one visual I remember is my bike in the air above me. Lol. I made it back to 10th in the heat. My other main was pretty much the opposite of the that pic tho. I was just happy to make 1 first corner without being on the ground.
lwtracer
Fantasy
391st
3/11/2022 4:45am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2022 4:51am
lwtracer wrote:
flarider wrote:
I don't RR, but I have helped a lot, and that place trashes bikes. The speeds and pinned RPM wears a motor out by the end...

The speeds and pinned RPM wears a motor out by the end, and then it's time for a full rebuild, and you just did one before Daytona to make sure nothing broke at 120+

Engines yes. I've had a bike drop 20mph from the start of practice to the end of the weekend (174mph down to 153mph). It wears out an engine so quickly. It's the only track that you are topped out for that long. Road America is the closest thing.

They make daytona specific rear tires. It's not actually hard on tires compared to other tracks once you have the specific rear tire which has extra hard rubber on the one side.
flarider
3/11/2022 4:50am
flarider wrote:
I don't RR, but I have helped a lot, and that place trashes bikes. The speeds and pinned RPM wears a motor out by the end...

lwtracer wrote:
Engines yes. I've had a bike drop 20mph from the start of practice to the end of the weekend (174mph down to 153mph). It wears out...
Engines yes. I've had a bike drop 20mph from the start of practice to the end of the weekend (174mph down to 153mph). It wears out an engine so quickly. It's the only track that you are topped out for that long. Road America is the closest thing.

They make daytona specific rear tires. It's not actually hard on tires compared to other tracks once you have the specific rear tire which has extra hard rubber on the one side.
I forgot about those odd tires, that's because the regular sidewalls would blow out due to the torque on them, right?
lwtracer
Fantasy
391st
3/11/2022 4:59am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2022 5:28am
flarider wrote:

lwtracer wrote:
Engines yes. I've had a bike drop 20mph from the start of practice to the end of the weekend (174mph down to 153mph). It wears out...

flarider wrote:
I forgot about those odd tires, that's because the regular sidewalls would blow out due to the torque on them, right?
The tires would chunk.
(this is from motogp, but i've seen the same thing happen at Daytona)

To get this back on track on RCSX. I'm pretty new to MX racing and decided to do the RCSX instead of MotoAmerica. Cool experience. Huge turnout. I did horrible in the heat race and main event but still a good experience. Way out of my element that's for sure.
Meister
3/11/2022 6:04am
Iw, what class did ya ride? The whole thing is all about fun and this year was my second year because it maxes the fun meter. My daughter rode her 3rd race ever this year and loved it.
Meister
3/11/2022 6:21am
I will say, this year I rvshared a big 5th wheel toy hauler and stayed on site and also bought a yellow garage.. camp is home and pits are pits. Last year we vrbod a house, which kinda seemed easier.

We were right along the main road in there near lake loyd. Pitbikes we're insane Friday night till the wee hours. Calmed down a little the rest of the weekend.

Some of the staff were on serious power trips. Some were incredibly nice. Trying to get my parents around in there on Saturday was challenging as they're both not able to walk a ton. We did have our Polaris ranger there for them but the temp gates everywhere and no real handicap parking had them wore out before the mains even started.

Neighbors.. whew.. some people are aholes.. had two neighbors on 1 side both try to empty their gray water. Not a huge deal, but we were downhill of them. My dad even offered to pay for the pumper truck if they were low on cash. After that they had attitudes toward us. One of them even did it again Monday after racing just to be an ahole.

Neighbor on the other side came in a sprinter late friday. Nice people in their 30s living the kidless life. Gave them breakfast we were cooking. After sx tho they came back hammered (which is fine) but about 1am I had to go outside and shut off their big JBL that was bumpin while they were passed out on bean bag chairs lol. No biggie really. Just funny.

Neighbor on the other side if them, 85cc family. They went through some unexcusable shit! Kid fell before the finish line n took a good horse kick to the thigh. He was up on his feet walking and crying a little. Upset from falling while around top 5. Medics made him lay down on a backboard and he said no I'm fine. They nearly wrestled him to the backboard n carried him to an ambulance. Parents were watching n thought they were just doing a quick eval. Then it pulled away so the parents ran to the infield hospital only to be told he wasn't there. Come to find out, thru drove this perfectly fine, but upset, 11 year old to the hospital down the road against his will and with no parental consent. Parents get in truck n it takes 40 minutes to navigate traffic to the hospital 2 miles away.. they go to the ER and they won't let them in.. a nurse did some work n found the boy, all gear literally cut off and other nurses trying to put an IV in him. Kids freaking out n kept saying to take him back to track and his parents because he's gonna miss his last race.. finally a Dr stepped in n shut the whole thing down and got the boy back to his parents.. I wouldve lost it.. the parents handled it way better than me..

lwtracer
Fantasy
391st
3/11/2022 6:28am
Meister wrote:
Iw, what class did ya ride? The whole thing is all about fun and this year was my second year because it maxes the fun meter...
Iw, what class did ya ride? The whole thing is all about fun and this year was my second year because it maxes the fun meter. My daughter rode her 3rd race ever this year and loved it.
I raced in 125C. I've normally only done Vet but Vet was full so it was either 125C or 250C.

It was fun. I'll do it again.
lwtracer
Fantasy
391st
3/11/2022 6:30am
Meister wrote:
I will say, this year I rvshared a big 5th wheel toy hauler and stayed on site and also bought a yellow garage.. camp is home...
I will say, this year I rvshared a big 5th wheel toy hauler and stayed on site and also bought a yellow garage.. camp is home and pits are pits. Last year we vrbod a house, which kinda seemed easier.

We were right along the main road in there near lake loyd. Pitbikes we're insane Friday night till the wee hours. Calmed down a little the rest of the weekend.

Some of the staff were on serious power trips. Some were incredibly nice. Trying to get my parents around in there on Saturday was challenging as they're both not able to walk a ton. We did have our Polaris ranger there for them but the temp gates everywhere and no real handicap parking had them wore out before the mains even started.

Neighbors.. whew.. some people are aholes.. had two neighbors on 1 side both try to empty their gray water. Not a huge deal, but we were downhill of them. My dad even offered to pay for the pumper truck if they were low on cash. After that they had attitudes toward us. One of them even did it again Monday after racing just to be an ahole.

Neighbor on the other side came in a sprinter late friday. Nice people in their 30s living the kidless life. Gave them breakfast we were cooking. After sx tho they came back hammered (which is fine) but about 1am I had to go outside and shut off their big JBL that was bumpin while they were passed out on bean bag chairs lol. No biggie really. Just funny.

Neighbor on the other side if them, 85cc family. They went through some unexcusable shit! Kid fell before the finish line n took a good horse kick to the thigh. He was up on his feet walking and crying a little. Upset from falling while around top 5. Medics made him lay down on a backboard and he said no I'm fine. They nearly wrestled him to the backboard n carried him to an ambulance. Parents were watching n thought they were just doing a quick eval. Then it pulled away so the parents ran to the infield hospital only to be told he wasn't there. Come to find out, thru drove this perfectly fine, but upset, 11 year old to the hospital down the road against his will and with no parental consent. Parents get in truck n it takes 40 minutes to navigate traffic to the hospital 2 miles away.. they go to the ER and they won't let them in.. a nurse did some work n found the boy, all gear literally cut off and other nurses trying to put an IV in him. Kids freaking out n kept saying to take him back to track and his parents because he's gonna miss his last race.. finally a Dr stepped in n shut the whole thing down and got the boy back to his parents.. I wouldve lost it.. the parents handled it way better than me..

I've been at the speedway for probably 7-8 road race events (racing or wrenching). At the RR events, the staff at the speedway are insanely strict. I could not believe they were allowing what was going on. You couldn't fart in the wrong direction every other time i've been there.

The late-night partying made me wish I were a bit younger. It was a mad house.
3/11/2022 7:14am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2022 7:15am
flarider wrote:
One year they had the wrong tire compound and had to stop race for tire changes for everyone. Crazy chunking. During the break Ducati rider even changed engines and eventually won the race.

Post a reply to: Daytona Amateur SX

The Latest