David Knight rides the Electric Storm Bee

Johnny Depp
Edited Date/Time 1/30/2021 12:25pm
https://enduro21.com/en/videos/latest/sur-ron-storm-david-knight-tries-…

"In fact, Storm Bee isn’t officially released yet and is still in the testing phase. Production looks likely for Summer 2021 while testing from the likes of Knighter continues to feed back to the factory in China".

“In the future, Storm Bee will be mass-produced in three versions,” says Bo Liu from SUR-RON Europe. The three models are: Road (EEC), Enduro (EEC), Off-Road (CE). “The frame is our new design and in development to optimize the suitability for electric.” Adds Bo. “Currently our suspension uses two brands, KKE and FAST ACE. It is not ruled out that there will be a higher level of suspension in the future as an option. The brake system is an OEM product from a professional motorcycle brake system supplier in China.”

|
str8line
1/27/2021 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 3:40pm
The future is something like this. Love my Kenevo ebike and love my KTM 450XCF but I need their love-child too.
str8line
1/27/2021 3:43pm
Chinese piece of shit is what that is.

Someone needs to get in the game. KTM or Honda should have had this years ago.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
1/27/2021 3:50pm
That's exactly what they said about Honda and Yamaha and the other Japanese bikes in the early 1970s, you know the cheap jap crap. Blush right before they took over the motorcycle market.

The Shop

1/27/2021 3:55pm
My crappy 1000W e-bike hardtail MTB conversion is awesome fun already, so I'll definitely be jumping on board in 5-6 years once there's some real e-motos out there.

Can make it up some surprisingly steep hills on that thing.
ZOBITO
1/27/2021 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 4:13pm
It sure looks muuuuuuuuch better with a 5 time world champ on it.

This is real life with the average dude. I'm sure you'll be impressed by how well it gets the power to the ground and the agony pig squeal coming from the engine.
Laughing

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/27/2021 4:20pm
Seriously, that didn't look nor sound fun at all. It seemed like they were pretty helpless to me.
str8line
1/27/2021 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 4:30pm
Seriously, that didn't look nor sound fun at all. It seemed like they were pretty helpless to me.
Those leaves are slick. Tires might be junk. They might have 20 lbs of pressure. Get that thing in some good dirt and it would be a hoot though. Knight looks like he's having fun and he loved it. But it's still Chinese junk compared to what is coming.
FWYT
1/27/2021 4:32pm
str8line wrote:

Someone needs to get in the game. KTM or Honda should have had this years ago.
Man, no kidding. Though I do think KTM has the right approach by starting with the minis.
ZOBITO
1/27/2021 4:53pm
str8line wrote:
Those leaves are slick. Tires might be junk. They might have 20 lbs of pressure. Get that thing in some good dirt and it would be...
Those leaves are slick. Tires might be junk. They might have 20 lbs of pressure. Get that thing in some good dirt and it would be a hoot though. Knight looks like he's having fun and he loved it. But it's still Chinese junk compared to what is coming.
Yeah, leaves are slick, like mud, that's called offroad riding.
Yeah, tires are junk, why would they be any different than the rest of the bike?
Yeah, Knight is having fun, he's thinking about his paycheck.
Tongue
str8line
1/27/2021 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 5:05pm
str8line wrote:
Those leaves are slick. Tires might be junk. They might have 20 lbs of pressure. Get that thing in some good dirt and it would be...
ZOBITO wrote:
Yeah, leaves are slick, like mud, that's called offroad riding. Yeah, tires are junk, why would they be any different than the rest of the bike...
Yeah, tires are junk, why would they be any different than the rest of the bike?
Tongue
But would it put a smile on your face?
dcg141
1/27/2021 5:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2021 5:13pm
KTM Future

Take what you will from this chart. Its been making the rounds and prompted much speculation. Looks as if KTM has smaller e-motorcycles on the menu but when and how far along are they? I know the next thing coming from the KTM Group are E MTB's. In fact there will be deliveries to dealers in April or May. Husqvarna Bicycles Batteries are still the issue with full size and even midsize units like the Freeride EXC and the Sur-Ron. 20-30 miles of hard riding seems to be the limit right now.
66TR66
1/27/2021 5:17pm
lostboy819 wrote:
That's exactly what they said about Honda and Yamaha and the other Japanese bikes in the early 1970s, you know the cheap jap crap. :blush: right...
That's exactly what they said about Honda and Yamaha and the other Japanese bikes in the early 1970s, you know the cheap jap crap. Blush right before they took over the motorcycle market.
There only Rice Burners.
stillwelding
1/27/2021 5:44pm
We used to say that about the Japanese made stuff. But they weren’t communists.
ZOBITO
1/27/2021 5:53pm
str8line wrote:
I really can't figure out why it would.
I'm an old schmuck, I like the sound of an exhaust, the smell of engine oil, playing with a clutch and a gearbox, changing pistons and air filters, and absolutely hate the silly buzzing noise this piece of crap makes...
Thanks but no thanks.
Sick
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/27/2021 6:05pm
str8line wrote:
ZOBITO wrote:
Yeah, leaves are slick, like mud, that's called offroad riding. Yeah, tires are junk, why would they be any different than the rest of the bike...
Tongue
str8line wrote:
No, I don't think it would. I think I could kill it more on a TTR 125. Honestly, any bike I've ever had since and including an RM 80 would have ate that shit up. Slick leaves and bald tires is where I grew up. I was expecting way more. The bikes in the video were way weak.
1/27/2021 6:45pm
I'm keenly awaiting the arrival of a quality electric bike, this is not it.
Press516
Fantasy
90th
1/28/2021 5:40am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2021 5:41am
That second video was painful to watch... I expected so much more.
gt80rider
1/28/2021 6:11am
My crappy 1000W e-bike hardtail MTB conversion is awesome fun already, so I'll definitely be jumping on board in 5-6 years once there's some real e-motos...
My crappy 1000W e-bike hardtail MTB conversion is awesome fun already, so I'll definitely be jumping on board in 5-6 years once there's some real e-motos out there.

Can make it up some surprisingly steep hills on that thing.
E-bikes are just really bad motorcycles
rallendude
1/28/2021 6:35am
Press516 wrote:
The Sur-Ron has junk tires. The suspension doesn't move. The rider seemed the least experienced. And the speed controller is junk. Funny, no one has mentioned the other three bikes that were riding with the Sur-Ron as they all seemed to be totally capable.
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
1/28/2021 6:54am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2021 8:01am
Press516 wrote:
rallendude wrote:
The Sur-Ron has junk tires. The suspension doesn't move. The rider seemed the least experienced. And the speed controller is junk. Funny, no one has mentioned...
The Sur-Ron has junk tires. The suspension doesn't move. The rider seemed the least experienced. And the speed controller is junk. Funny, no one has mentioned the other three bikes that were riding with the Sur-Ron as they all seemed to be totally capable.
The Sur Ron is a preproduction bike where as the other bikes in the video are all DIY e-motos based on Yamaha and KTM platforms. The Silent Moto guys have been at it for a while building their own stuff and their bikes in terms of performance seem to be far superior to the Storm Bee, but they also don't have to take production costs into consideration.

Also, tires and suspension to me are non-issues as they're both easily remedied.
rallendude
1/28/2021 7:07am
Press516 wrote:
rallendude wrote:
The Sur-Ron has junk tires. The suspension doesn't move. The rider seemed the least experienced. And the speed controller is junk. Funny, no one has mentioned...
bayodome wrote:
The Sur Ron is a preproduction bike where as the other bikes in the video are all DIY e-motos based on Yamaha and KTM platforms. The...
The Sur Ron is a preproduction bike where as the other bikes in the video are all DIY e-motos based on Yamaha and KTM platforms. The Silent Moto guys have been at it for a while building their own stuff and their bikes in terms of performance seem to be far superior to the Storm Bee, but they also don't have to take production costs into consideration.

Also, tires and suspension to me are non-issues as they're both easily remedied.
Agreed. I hadn't heard of the SilentBob guys. I went to their YT page and watched a few videos. What they are doing doesn't look very complicated really. The OEMs should take note. They are starting with a complete working bike from one of the big five, which pretty much eliminates any issues with geometry, handling, suspension, frame, etc. But the Sur-Ron looks in comparison to their other silent bikes like the Chinese pit bikes look next to a KLX110 or CRF150. I'm a big fan of the two-strokes but would love to try the electric stuff out.
1/28/2021 8:01am
Electric motocross / off road bikes = gay. No one wants to ride or race battery powered bikes that the damn generators at the track will be much more annoying than the sound of motorcycles any day. We start racing battery powered motorcycles and I am going to retire and buy a boat.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
1/28/2021 8:19am
Electric motocross / off road bikes = gay. No one wants to ride or race battery powered bikes that the damn generators at the track will...
Electric motocross / off road bikes = gay. No one wants to ride or race battery powered bikes that the damn generators at the track will be much more annoying than the sound of motorcycles any day. We start racing battery powered motorcycles and I am going to retire and buy a boat.
they are only gay until they allow you to ride at your house without the neighbors complaining.

I guess I am gay, because when I buy 5-10 acres I'm most likely buying my boys electric bikes and will probably do the same thing for me depending on the price.
Titan1.
1/28/2021 8:21am
Electric motocross / off road bikes = gay. No one wants to ride or race battery powered bikes that the damn generators at the track will...
mx 219 wrote:
they are only gay until they allow you to ride at your house without the neighbors complaining. I guess I am gay, because when I buy...
they are only gay until they allow you to ride at your house without the neighbors complaining.

I guess I am gay, because when I buy 5-10 acres I'm most likely buying my boys electric bikes and will probably do the same thing for me depending on the price.
5 acres, an e bike, and a water hose means back yard motos without annoying the neighbors. That’s very appealing to me...
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
1/28/2021 8:25am
I just don't get the Electric Moto haters (and combined homophobia). Fear of change, perhaps? It's truly nonsensical. Change happens every second of every day. What's wrong with having more options of what and where you can ride?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/28/2021 8:31am
Any of you haters ever go race at Pole Position or K1 Speed? Electric karts are fantastic. There will be a good electric motorcycle soon enough. (Actually, I'd venture to say the Alta already was, although I can't say first-hand.)
Johnny Depp
1/28/2021 8:32am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2021 8:33am
The Silent Enduro guys are turning out to be the most interesting find here. Those crazy polish dudes seem to have built some DIY e-bikes that seem very capable. It seems their choice in controller is a huge factor in the quality of power delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SilentEnduro/videos
rivvs
Fantasy
1542nd
1/28/2021 9:22am
The storm bee looks like an heavy and slow bike with bad suspension!
To the electric bike haters I had never tried one before building my electric rmz and now I know how awesome they are!

Post a reply to: David Knight rides the Electric Storm Bee

The Latest