Dave Thorpe's Book : "No Regrets....... Well, Almost"

Bearuno
7/30/2022 7:31am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2022 7:58am
I just Pre Ordered it, hopefully it will be in my paws in late August

https://davethorpe.co.uk/

With his mention of (Sir) Jack Burnicle, I assume it's done in conjunction with him - I doubt many books about the GPs over (quite) a few decades could be done without Jacks stories and pictures.

Hopefully will be as good as Robgvx's = Rob Andrews, book. Bryan Wades : A Wild Ride is great too.

https://youtu.be/ZVfT9QWAjPw
|
shuggs
7/30/2022 7:47am
Just got Marc De Reuver’s book and really looking forward to it, think he is a seriously funny guy and looking forward to his stories 👍
7/30/2022 7:56am
If it’s half as good as Rob’s book it’ll be great. I worshipped DT when I was a kid growing up racing in England (sorry, not sorry, Rob). I used to practice at Matchams all the time and on a rainy Wednesday a white panel van rolled in, out of which popped DT on his factory Honda. It was only him on his 500 and small me on my 80 trying to not get in his way too much, and then slotting in behind him so I could say I got roosted by a 2-time world champ (at that time). One of my most memorable days in motocross.

Cheers
Simon
tuggy450
7/30/2022 8:13am
Absolute beast on a bike back in his day, Legend.
Bearuno
7/30/2022 8:19am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2022 9:44am
shuggs wrote:
Just got Marc De Reuver’s book and really looking forward to it, think he is a seriously funny guy and looking forward to his stories 👍
It's a great read. Some translation 'things' that can lead to head scratching, but easily sorted, and, you have to accept how open (yup, bad pun on the name) he is about how he is.

It's good to see him still at the GPs, working with other riders. He can help so many others, handle their careers a bit more evenly than he did, whilst not be a 'martinet' about things, I'd say.

Perhaps these books ( many others have been done, and I've collected most of them) may lead to some more Riders to do biographies, and not just GP riders. Just so long as they don't end up being hagiographies : that sort of thing sucks.

The Shop

Bearuno
7/30/2022 9:54am
An English translation of the Jaroslav Falta book, Stolen Title is said to become available, later this year.

shuggs
7/30/2022 10:25am
Bearuno wrote:
An English translation of the Jaroslav Falta book, Stolen Title is said to become available, later this year. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/07/30/561870/s1200_Stolen_Title_book_o_Jaroslav_Falta_English_version_due_late_2022.jpg[/img]
An English translation of the Jaroslav Falta book, Stolen Title is said to become available, later this year.

Mmm what’s that one about??
shuggs
7/30/2022 10:27am
Bearuno wrote:
It's a great read. Some translation 'things' that can lead to head scratching, but easily sorted, and, you have to accept how open (yup, bad pun...
It's a great read. Some translation 'things' that can lead to head scratching, but easily sorted, and, you have to accept how open (yup, bad pun on the name) he is about how he is.

It's good to see him still at the GPs, working with other riders. He can help so many others, handle their careers a bit more evenly than he did, whilst not be a 'martinet' about things, I'd say.

Perhaps these books ( many others have been done, and I've collected most of them) may lead to some more Riders to do biographies, and not just GP riders. Just so long as they don't end up being hagiographies : that sort of thing sucks.
Always watch Horgmo’s vlogs, his contributions are priceless
Elliot
7/30/2022 10:31am
I followed his whole career. He wasn't the most naturally talented rider but as someone once said, he was a product of training. He was the pro's pro.

I'll never forget his ride through the field at Farleigh when Mervyn Anstie took him out on the first turn. He was sideways the whole race.
ShipLap
7/30/2022 12:59pm
How is it that there is no mention of Johny O yet?
Robgvx
7/30/2022 1:41pm
Looking forward to it myself.
a22
7/30/2022 2:31pm
Awesome rider and champ- when he was just a kid they promoted him in the classes above when he was much younger than the other riders in the class - he still won easily- would often lap the other riders upto 2nd place! I was in the younger classes but remember watching him race on a few occasions when he would occasionally race in our region and hammer everyone. You could tell he was something quite special.

I still love watching Thorpe vs. David Bailey in those 1985/ 1986 Des Nations- the way they both rode and their stature on a bike seemed very similar to me- Thorpey had the edge in 85 but David sure paid him back nicely in '86, with abit of interest added!
Super Dave has made this book- will be a real insight into how things really were back in those glory days alongside the other great books already written, Robs book etc.
Can't wait!
Bearuno
7/30/2022 9:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2022 9:43pm
Elliot wrote:
I followed his whole career. He wasn't the most naturally talented rider but as someone once said, he was a product of training. He was the...
I followed his whole career. He wasn't the most naturally talented rider but as someone once said, he was a product of training. He was the pro's pro.

I'll never forget his ride through the field at Farleigh when Mervyn Anstie took him out on the first turn. He was sideways the whole race.
He got the job done. I always loved his riding style - he was / Is a Big Bloke, and rode as such.

I remember him writing about aspects of his riding in his column in Dirt Bike Rider (?). The way he described his finding traction on hard / slippery surfaces going into corners Hard under brakes, really caught my attention. He wrote of how he'd 'waggle' the front end, driving it into the ground, while under brakes when there was buggerall traction had me wondering. I then, and since, have seen him doing just that in videos. All a bit spooky looking, waiting for the front end to tuck, but, he'd just rip into, and through the corners.

"Swervin Mervyn" , "Merv The Swerve". Two titles I often read attached to Anstie throughout his career. I don't think his riding tactics were much appreciated by other riders, at times........ Whistling
7/31/2022 3:03am
ShipLap wrote:
It‘s about Dave Thorpe!!!
a22
7/31/2022 10:45am
Elliot wrote:
I followed his whole career. He wasn't the most naturally talented rider but as someone once said, he was a product of training. He was the...

Yes, that Farleigh GP was something to behold how he won it~think was close to 'last to first'! Boiling hot day-whole crowd went nuts when he won it~me included. After everyone jumped in the river\moat near the castle.Super GP and credit to Dave riding so excellently that day-was very specail that GP- never forget it
Robgvx
7/31/2022 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2022 1:12pm
a22 wrote:
Yes, that Farleigh GP was something to behold how he won it~think was close to 'last to first'! Boiling hot day-whole crowd went nuts when he won it~me included. After everyone jumped in the river\moat near the castle.Super GP and credit to Dave riding so excellently that day-was very specail that GP- never forget it
From this (and dead last) to leading in FOUR laps…

8/2/2022 1:16am
Bearuno wrote:
An English translation of the Jaroslav Falta book, Stolen Title is said to become available, later this year. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/07/30/561870/s1200_Stolen_Title_book_o_Jaroslav_Falta_English_version_due_late_2022.jpg[/img]

Yes, I have updated and expanded Ivo Helikar's original, it's out for reviews at the moment.

Anthony Sutton at TMX News has provided this review-

“Mind-blowing motocross books don't come along too often, but this is definitely one of them. As I read it I wept, laughed, and learned, and found myself transported back to a time when motorcycle racers were as hard as nails, motorcycles were far from perfect, and cold-war skulduggery robbed Jaroslav Falta of a motocross World Championship title.”
Bearuno
8/2/2022 2:01am
Bearuno wrote:

Yes, I have updated and expanded Ivo Helikar's original, it's out for reviews at the moment. Anthony Sutton at TMX News has provided this review- “Mind-blowing...
Yes, I have updated and expanded Ivo Helikar's original, it's out for reviews at the moment.

“Mind-blowing motocross books don't come along too often, but this is definitely one of them. As I read it I wept, laughed, and learned, and found myself transported back to a time when motorcycle racers were as hard as nails, motorcycles were far from perfect, and cold-war skulduggery robbed Jaroslav Falta of a motocross World Championship title.”
Available from You?

I'd like to get an order in as soon as possible - with my fully understanding I'd be waiting a fair while for it.

If you could provide details of how to do so, I, and I'd assume others here, would very much appreciate it.
8/2/2022 3:01am
Bearuno wrote:

Yes, I have updated and expanded Ivo Helikar's original, it's out for reviews at the moment. Anthony Sutton at TMX News has provided this review- “Mind-blowing...

Bearuno wrote:
Available from You? I'd like to get an order in as soon as possible - with my fully understanding I'd be waiting a fair while for...
Available from You?

I'd like to get an order in as soon as possible - with my fully understanding I'd be waiting a fair while for it.

If you could provide details of how to do so, I, and I'd assume others here, would very much appreciate it.
It will be available directly from Jaroslav's daughter Martina. There is a website under construction to cater for the sale of this new book and other Falta-related items. As I'd guess you are alredy aware, she has a Facebook site for her father and all things CZ. News on the book will be published there.

Thank you for your interest! Spread the word!

Pit Row

toddh
8/2/2022 5:03am
ShipLap wrote:
Hell yes.
robkinuk
8/2/2022 6:12am
ShipLap wrote:
toddh wrote:
Hell yes.

Dave Thorpe's race career was so much more than just 1 moto at Maggiora 1986 when O'mara fresh off being let go by Honda wanted to prove a point in that moto.
There is no animosity between Thorpe and O'mara or his US team mates Rick Johnson and David Bailey. The whole incident was blown out of all proportion by Jody Wiesel's MXA magazine.
If we are talking about MXDN domination, what about newly crowned 500cc World Champion David Thorpe beating Bailey, Ward and Lechien at Gaildorf in 1985?
Bearuno
8/2/2022 10:00pm
The latest 'Man In A Van' interview from Jeff, with Dave :

https://youtu.be/6_4RQebW0Ks

They are a pretty good series of interviews, with various, mostly Brit, riders.
mumbles
8/4/2022 12:48pm
ShipLap wrote:
toddh wrote:
Hell yes.
robkinuk wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/02/562272/s1200_DSC_0741.jpg[/img] Dave Thorpe's race career was so much more than just 1 moto at Maggiora 1986 when O'mara fresh off being let go by Honda wanted...

Dave Thorpe's race career was so much more than just 1 moto at Maggiora 1986 when O'mara fresh off being let go by Honda wanted to prove a point in that moto.
There is no animosity between Thorpe and O'mara or his US team mates Rick Johnson and David Bailey. The whole incident was blown out of all proportion by Jody Wiesel's MXA magazine.
If we are talking about MXDN domination, what about newly crowned 500cc World Champion David Thorpe beating Bailey, Ward and Lechien at Gaildorf in 1985?
I was fortunate to be in Europe from 83 - 87. I saw how good David Thorpe was at his highest level. Believe me he was very good.

Namur 85

Namur 86

Luxumberg 86

Bearuno
9/28/2022 1:43am
Well, my copy of David Thorpes book arrived yesterday.

It looks good, so far, but, as Always, I'd like a far bigger book - but I'm a greedy bastard when it comes to Books and Info........ Whistling

Though, one thing is quite, quite strange.

It's the last chapter, titled, "In Memoriam"

Now, In Memoriam is used in reference to those who have passed on.

Dave mentions the Greats: Hakan Carlqvist, Georges Jobe, Eric Geboers, that so sadly, Have passed away, and one of his Dad's mates, that helped him a lot - my assumption is that fellow has passed away.

But he also has Graham Noyce, Neil Hudson, Andre Malherbe and Kurt Nicoll in the In Memoriam section. It gave me a bit of a fright, thinking, how in hell did I miss their demise, especially with my seeing Kurt at the recent VMXdN? To my knowledge, they are all still very much alive.

Perhaps I'm Knit Picking, but I know what In Memoriam means, even if I may be a Bear Of Very Small Brain ( re : Paddington Bear) .
BCE
9/28/2022 2:05am
Bearuno wrote:
Well, my copy of David Thorpes book arrived yesterday. It looks good, so far, but, as Always, I'd like a far bigger book - but I'm...
Well, my copy of David Thorpes book arrived yesterday.

It looks good, so far, but, as Always, I'd like a far bigger book - but I'm a greedy bastard when it comes to Books and Info........ Whistling

Though, one thing is quite, quite strange.

It's the last chapter, titled, "In Memoriam"

Now, In Memoriam is used in reference to those who have passed on.

Dave mentions the Greats: Hakan Carlqvist, Georges Jobe, Eric Geboers, that so sadly, Have passed away, and one of his Dad's mates, that helped him a lot - my assumption is that fellow has passed away.

But he also has Graham Noyce, Neil Hudson, Andre Malherbe and Kurt Nicoll in the In Memoriam section. It gave me a bit of a fright, thinking, how in hell did I miss their demise, especially with my seeing Kurt at the recent VMXdN? To my knowledge, they are all still very much alive.

Perhaps I'm Knit Picking, but I know what In Memoriam means, even if I may be a Bear Of Very Small Brain ( re : Paddington Bear) .
Is it quality wise comparable to Rob Andrews book?
How many pages, and lots of colour photo's?
Thanks,
Bearuno
9/28/2022 2:47am Edited Date/Time 9/28/2022 2:57am
BCE wrote:
Is it quality wise comparable to Rob Andrews book?
How many pages, and lots of colour photo's?
Thanks,
I'd put Roberto's book above it in it's presentation - but that set a rather high mark indeed. So, don't take that as a criticism.

I've only had that quick squizz at it, and, as weird as I am, I just read the short final chapters. Bit disappointed they are so small, like only a couple of pages for the most part. I'd like to have seen far more on his CCM story, and his current Team efforts, and his involvement with the Honda 'Experience' set up(s).

It has a good amount of Photos - the first batch of his very early career nearly all in B&W, but after that, into the GPs, nearly all Colour. I'd say many of the B&W ones, from the GP era are from T&MX archives.

I liked how in the inner covers, and first and last pages, there are a whole montage of pictures. Neat idea!

246 pages. Book sizing around about the same, or a little bit smaller, as Robgvx's.

It's worth every cent I paid for it. But, then again, I found the Motion Pro book on Honda's Flat Trackers, that cost me around $495.00 AUD, worth every cent I paid. I have No problem paying for books. They are precious things to me.

I'll try to read it all over this coming weekend - my ever diming eyeballs and shaky hands are being used for some rather intricate Machining, then TIGing said "things" together, for the next few days - what took me say a day, only a while ago, takes the better part of a week, now. It sucks getting old(er) DizzySad
BobbyM
9/29/2022 8:35pm
If it’s half as good as Rob’s book it’ll be great. I worshipped DT when I was a kid growing up racing in England (sorry, not...
If it’s half as good as Rob’s book it’ll be great. I worshipped DT when I was a kid growing up racing in England (sorry, not sorry, Rob). I used to practice at Matchams all the time and on a rainy Wednesday a white panel van rolled in, out of which popped DT on his factory Honda. It was only him on his 500 and small me on my 80 trying to not get in his way too much, and then slotting in behind him so I could say I got roosted by a 2-time world champ (at that time). One of my most memorable days in motocross.

Cheers
Simon
Too young to appreciate one of my heroes, Graham Noyce I take it?
BigBoreFan58
9/29/2022 11:03pm
Thorpe, worlds fastest novice, according to Jody Weasel. Pretty fast novice I'd say.
9/30/2022 6:31am
BobbyM wrote:
Too young to appreciate one of my heroes, Graham Noyce I take it?
I was pretty small (single digits) when my Dad started taking me to the races. I must have been 5 or 6 when we'd watch Noyce battle it out in British Championship races with Dave Thorpe (or they might have been AMCA races back then?) Noyce had recently won the 500cc world championship and Thorpe was on his way up. Graham was a legend back then for being the first Brit to win a world championship in something like 14 years, so my Dad always wanted him to win, whereas DT was the young pup so I always cheered for Thorpey. I ended up meeting Graham at the chalet at the 2001 MXdN in Namur and, from what I remember (we started drinking on the Eurostar) he was great in person.

Cheers
Simon

Post a reply to: Dave Thorpe's Book : "No Regrets....... Well, Almost"

The Latest

The Latest