Daughter new to gears and clutch

Need some help for my daughter. In the slow turns she's stalling the bike. Where the bike requires some clutch slipping or clutch control. It's trying to sense her into on off. The clutch. To make the turn. Then go. She can get the biting point from standing start. Any videos or method that I could show or explain would help.
|
Acidreamer
1/28/2018 5:13am
You gotta find a wording that clicks in her head. “Slipping the clutch” doesnt register for some people. I taught a few of my buddies last year to ride. They reacted to “riding the clutch” better than anything else. They used the term “friction zone” at the motorcycle safety course. Idk how well any of those will register to a little kid though.
FDMoto525
1/28/2018 5:26am
I know from trying to teach my kids I ended up going up a tooth or 2 on the rear sprocket just to resist the stalling a bit. It was more like a bandaid until they could understand and start practicing slipping the clutch a bit. It seemed to help and also keep their frustration levels a little lower while learning the basics.
AZRider
1/28/2018 6:05am
Acidreamer wrote:
You gotta find a wording that clicks in her head. “Slipping the clutch” doesnt register for some people. I taught a few of my buddies last...
You gotta find a wording that clicks in her head. “Slipping the clutch” doesnt register for some people. I taught a few of my buddies last year to ride. They reacted to “riding the clutch” better than anything else. They used the term “friction zone” at the motorcycle safety course. Idk how well any of those will register to a little kid though.
This is exactly what my 9 yr old son struggled with. He didn't understand the terminology/I couldn't explain it well enough for him to get it. We sat at a stand still and worked on the "Friction zone" for about an hour one day. 2 weeks later and he was a ripper.. without abusing the clutch. Just takes time and explaining that it is going to be difficult, and at the same time is one of the most useful skills they will ever use on any motorcycle.
Tuna
1/28/2018 7:40am
I’m an MSF Dirtbike School instructor. One of the first lessons we do is working on friction points and just rolling the bike forward and back. Throughout the whole course we challenge new riders with slow speed lessons where you need to work the clutch. Starting and stopping, cornering, etc where the clutch need to be engaged or the bike will stop, fall over, etc.
I would encourage all new riders to take this course if it’s available in their area.
In my region it only costs $100 and Honda provides us with a fleet of loaner bikes.
If the OP would like some clutch specific drills to help feel free to message me.
I have never failed to teach a student how to use a clutch effectively after a 5 hour course.

The Shop

kkawboy14
1/28/2018 8:05am
Pull the clutch all the way in and coast around the turn, engage it back just like your starting a new start, she will get the hang of it and start engaging it earlier and earlier as she gets used to the speeds. And down shift.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
1/28/2018 8:18am
I bought a cheap TTR 125 and used it for like 3-4 months with my son to teach him how to work a clutch, then sold it for the same price I bought it for once he really understood it and could work it properly. This way he could really ride it and rev the engine without worrying about washing out or looping out.
1/28/2018 3:01pm
Tuna wrote:
I’m an MSF Dirtbike School instructor. One of the first lessons we do is working on friction points and just rolling the bike forward and back...
I’m an MSF Dirtbike School instructor. One of the first lessons we do is working on friction points and just rolling the bike forward and back. Throughout the whole course we challenge new riders with slow speed lessons where you need to work the clutch. Starting and stopping, cornering, etc where the clutch need to be engaged or the bike will stop, fall over, etc.
I would encourage all new riders to take this course if it’s available in their area.
In my region it only costs $100 and Honda provides us with a fleet of loaner bikes.
If the OP would like some clutch specific drills to help feel free to message me.
I have never failed to teach a student how to use a clutch effectively after a 5 hour course.
Ok il take you up on your offer. Of drills. I'd love her to attend a course. But we live in Ireland where there really is nothing local
TeamGreen
1/28/2018 3:07pm
Teach her how to “almost” come to a complete stop with the clutch in and get the bike going again -smoothly- JUST BEFORE she comes to a complete stop. Do this in an open area just going straight and get the clutch handling down. After you do this drill a few times she’ll be good to go.

Post a reply to: Daughter new to gears and clutch

The Latest